Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 01-08-2005, 01:03 AM   #1
FORDavid

Default Squeeling Breaks AHHHH!!!

Hey I got a AUII fairmont and the breaks squeel real bad. Can anyone suggest how to stop this or at least reduce it? The break pads are not old and a mate last week took the breaks off and put some red (can't remember the name of the stuff) on the worn metal parts to stop them from squeeling but it didn't help.
(i'm not up to scratch on technical terms hahaha)

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Dave

FORDavid is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2005, 01:23 AM   #2
Psycho Chicken
Banned

Not sure if AU pads are the same, but we have an issue on the Liberty/Outback front brakes. There's a slit in the pad, it fills with dust. Clean it out and it should improve. If the AU's have it.
Psycho Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2005, 09:11 AM   #3
EvilChief
Boost Addict

change brand of brake pads, cheaper brands have the bad habit of producing a lot of rake dust and squeal a lot. and yes there is a slot
EvilChief is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2005, 06:48 PM   #4
FORDavid

any sugestions as to what brand of break pads to get????
Old 01-08-2005, 07:00 PM   #5
Sleeperau
Highway Taxi

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORDavid
Hey I got a AUII fairmont and the breaks squeel real bad. Can anyone suggest how to stop this or at least reduce it? The break pads are not old and a mate last week took the breaks off and put some red (can't remember the name of the stuff) on the worn metal parts to stop them from squeeling but it didn't help.
(i'm not up to scratch on technical terms hahaha)

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers
Dave
I have the same problem!! I always buy the pads & give them to the mechanic. This time he just fitted some & they squeal their heads OFF! I am about to change them & have always used Bendex & never had a problem. From what I have heard Bendex Advance are a good compromise in price/ quality.
Sleeperau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2005, 10:36 PM   #6
OldManGhia

Just put Bendix Advance on the wagon last weekend to replace a set of squeeling Zircons that were fitted by a mechanic. The Zircons didn't have a slot acroos the pad but the Advance have two slots. Much better than the ones they replaced, well so far anyway. I've only done about 150ks on them so time will tell. But so far so good.
OldManGhia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-08-2005, 11:51 PM   #7
EvilChief
Boost Addict

i am using metal kings on my race brakes (330mm rotor with twin piston caliper), and use bendix ultimates on the rears. I am also using RDA Level4 pads on the rear of my subi and RDA metal kings on teh front. Only the RDA metal kings on teh front of teh subi squeek a little after a big workout, all others are quite as, but very dust items.
the slot in teh middle of the pads actaulla shifts the brake dust to teh outside of the pad, rather then getting trapped between pad and rotor. further i must say that all my rotors are at least slottered, which helps a lot with the removal of dust between pad and rotor
Old 02-08-2005, 12:16 AM   #8
K1W1 Dave
Still alive & kicking

The squeeling is caused by viabration of the disc pad against the roter where the break dust gets traped.
Remove pads remove dust then apply anti break squeel spray to rear side of disc pad let dry for 30 minutes then re instal.
Old 02-08-2005, 09:49 AM   #9
FORDavid

Did that, still squeeling real bad
Thanks anyway, cause it will probably help in most cases
Old 02-08-2005, 10:13 AM   #10
OldManGhia

Do what I did. Get rid of the squeelers and put the Bendix Advance in. End of trouble end of worry.
Old 02-08-2005, 01:29 PM   #11
FORDavid

Sounds like a plan but

2 questions

Should i replace all 4 sets to stop the squeeling?
Where do i buy Bendix advance pads?

Cheers
Old 02-08-2005, 02:05 PM   #12
OldManGhia

Should i replace all 4 sets to stop the squeeling?
Where do i buy Bendix advance pads?

If all 4 are a problem i probably would. Otherwise, just do the front first. I got them from Repco. Managed to get them at trade price $53.00

Steve
Old 02-08-2005, 08:28 PM   #13
EvilChief
Boost Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by K1W1 Dave
The squeeling is caused by viabration of the disc pad against the roter where the break dust gets traped.
Remove pads remove dust then apply anti break squeel spray to rear side of disc pad let dry for 30 minutes then re instal.
riiiight :yeees:
Old 04-08-2005, 05:39 PM   #14
Moya

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU98C-Wagon
Do what I did. Get rid of the squeelers and put the Bendix Advance in. End of trouble end of worry.
My Bendix Ultimates squeal at the front like a . Although, it only squels when I have the brake pressed in roughly 10-15%. Anything more it stops. I think there wraped slightly... :/
Moya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2005, 11:47 PM   #15
Scruba
15+ Years!

My S3 AU pads are H/Duty and squeal a lot but after driving the AU1 Fairmont they pull up a hell of a lot better so I'll be putting the H/D pads back on

Work in progress

https://photos.app.goo.gl/7roViz57bb2Stkzx6
Scruba is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2005, 04:43 PM   #16
AU3XR

Being a mechanic, I will suggest our correct way to stop squealing brakes. WASH THEM! It sounds silly but if you hose the dust off the brakes/rotors from under the vehicle, preferably with a pressure wash the probs will be solved untill the dust builds up again, dependant on how many track days you go to.....
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-08-2005, 05:32 PM   #17
OldManGhia

Washing them does nothing. The Zircons I had actually were becoming quieter until it rained and "washed" them. After things dried up they were actually worse than ever. Ive done probably a thousand ks on the Bendix Advance and not a problem so far. Best thing I did.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:18 AM   #18
AU3XR

Fasir enough. I meant actually getting under the car at Carlover's & blasting them but if it didn't work so be it. That is how I know when to wash ours, I hear the wife come squealin' down the drive....
What are Zircon's?????
Old 10-08-2005, 08:40 AM   #19
OldManGhia

Quote:
Originally Posted by AU3XR
What are Zircon's?????
They are a brand of brake pads that my mechanic recommended. I've never had any problems with these pads before he reckoned. I havent heard of them before this either and I couldn't find any info on the net about them. But whatever you do DONT use them.

This trouble with squealing brakes started in Feb when new pads & rotors were fitted. The car went back to the mechanic on 2 occassions. Once the pads were changed & the second time a rotor was changed. None of it made any difference until I put the Bendix pads on myself.
Old 10-08-2005, 08:49 AM   #20
The Mighty Red

Yep Bendix advance are the go, I have had no squealing with them at all.

Although I am sorry to say you got raped at $53.00.I got mine for $41 lol.

Other than that it only takes 5 minutes to remove and clean discs and pads.
Old 10-08-2005, 09:52 AM   #21
OldManGhia

[QUOTE=our_blue_xr6]
Although I am sorry to say you got raped at $53.00.I got mine for $41 lol.
QUOTE]

Jees, I thought I was getting a bargain at $53. That was Repcos trade price to, so the retail price would have been more. Country NSW what can I say. They work thats all that I need.
Old 10-08-2005, 06:32 PM   #22
buickman
buickman

I've used the ultimates from bendix but found they destroyed the disc faster & left brake dust on the wheels.
I'am now using the bendix Advance great pad for not leaving brake dust & as a few others have mentioned a good all round brake pad for daily use.

buickman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2005, 08:03 PM   #23
Moya

Quote:
Originally Posted by buickman
I've used the ultimates from bendix but found they destroyed the disc faster & left brake dust on the wheels.
I'am now using the bendix Advance great pad for not leaving brake dust & as a few others have mentioned a good all round brake pad for daily use.

buickman

I think thats my problem. Also using Ultimates.

Does removing the brake dust from the Ultimates fix anything? Or is the only option to replace the pads?
Moya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2005, 02:04 PM   #24
FORDavid

So the amount you guys are saying it cost to purchase the pads, is that for each wheel?
Old 11-08-2005, 10:36 PM   #25
OldManGhia

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORDavid
So the amount you guys are saying it cost to purchase the pads, is that for each wheel?
No. $53 for the pair.
Old 14-08-2005, 09:43 PM   #26
XRDUST

They are a nightmare aren't they.

Mine started at 4,000 km and I did everything that has been suggested on this thread for zero result.

Got on to EBC's Red Stuff for the front and Green Stuff for the rears - no problems since. The standard pads that Ford use on their new cars are absolute rubbish and whoever makes them should be drummed out of the business (then again if Ford didn't use them they would be outa business)
Red Stuff are a ceramic compound and are not as dusty as Green but they are a bit dearer.

Unless you can get them trade expect to pay $165 for a set of front Greens and $115 for rear Greens. The front Reds will sting you for about $275, but it's worth it to stop that bloody squealing.

Check the EBS website www.ebcbrakes.com

Good luck