Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 20-10-2023, 08:53 AM   #31
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Victoria’s electric vehicle tax thrown out by High Court

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I've got a heavy rigid truck with 24 tonne GVM - rego was only $2000, and I'm eligible for fuel tax credits on diesel.

Rego on my Fiesta ST is $742

Car is ridiculously expensive in comparison to the truck
Geez finally found something cheaper over here lol

It's only a hundy to register my v8 Fairmont Ghia

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2023, 09:12 AM   #32
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
A great win for the people of Victoria, current Government is a pack of greedy p***** hell bent on introducing new taxes to pay for their mismanagement of our economy.
so are you not going to use the new road network when completed, or are you going to avoid the rail crossing improvements, are you not going to attend one of the new hospitals or are you not going to send your kids to one of the many new schools.

Your argumet is irrelevant, you want these services but don't want to pay for them
Old 20-10-2023, 11:42 AM   #33
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Dan’s retired Trev… No need to bat for him anymore
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2023, 11:50 AM   #34
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
Dan’s retired Trev… No need to bat for him anymore
I live in a regional Victorian city, we have a new multi-storey hospital wing, a new secondary school. Our railway line is being upgraded as we speak to 2 lines for more frequent newer trains, PLUS I can go to Melbourne and back on the train for $9

This is a blue riibon L/NP seat that had an Independent for 2 terms, now gone back to Nats. His Government has delivered for us
Old 20-10-2023, 02:01 PM   #35
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
I live in a regional Victorian city, we have a new multi-storey hospital wing, a new secondary school. Our railway line is being upgraded as we speak to 2 lines for more frequent newer trains, PLUS I can go to Melbourne and back on the train for $9

This is a blue riibon L/NP seat that had an Independent for 2 terms, now gone back to Nats. His Government has delivered for us
Rural eh? Don’t forget all the small businesses that are now stuffed after spending up big on improvements and renovations in anticipation of much lauded Comm games?..
Ahh who cares? Just rip up another billion dollars!
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Charliewool is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-10-2023, 03:06 PM   #36
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Rural eh? Don’t forget all the small businesses that are now stuffed after spending up big on improvements and renovations in anticipation of much lauded Comm games?..

But the EV tax is what would've made the difference in that spend
kypez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2023, 05:13 PM   #37
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooDog View Post

That's wild, why is registration so cheap in NZ? NSW and QLD get bent over here, NSW needs some yearly roadworthy and some extra CTP crap, and QLD has ridiculously expensive rego which goes up on cylinder count.

I'm on Melbourne's rural fringe and we got no train, no hospital, if you need an ambulance then it's an hour plus wait and our roads are halal but that's what you get for being a safe seat for a major party, all the dollars seem to miss us

Hold up, we actually got a roundabout but it took 2.5 election cycles from election promise, to $250,000 study about the roundabout, to finally putting in the roundabout.

I've been here for 29 years and in that time we've increased population by 300% and got two pedestrian crossings, a roundabout and the world's lamest skate park (but that was 20 years ago now).

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 20-10-2023 at 05:20 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-10-2023, 06:50 PM   #38
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooDog View Post

Tell these people on here about road user tax, diesel and keeping logbooks for diesel powered vehicles
Old 20-10-2023, 06:51 PM   #39
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Victoria should never have signed on for the lame duck called Commonwealth Games. Great decision to flick them
Old 20-10-2023, 06:56 PM   #40
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wretched View Post

No, EV users are not getting a free ride, they pay rego which is "supposedly" paying for the actual suburban roads.
Hi. The rego pays to keep the state roads authorities open so that they can "build and maintain" roads. To actually build the roads the state roads authorities have to apply for money from state and federal government finance departments. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2023, 07:57 PM   #41
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That's wild, why is registration so cheap in NZ? NSW and QLD get bent over here, NSW needs some yearly roadworthy and some extra CTP crap, and QLD has ridiculously expensive rego which goes up on cylinder count.

I'm on Melbourne's rural fringe and we got no train, no hospital, if you need an ambulance then it's an hour plus wait and our roads are halal but that's what you get for being a safe seat for a major party, all the dollars seem to miss us

Hold up, we actually got a roundabout but it took 2.5 election cycles from election promise, to $250,000 study about the roundabout, to finally putting in the roundabout.

I've been here for 29 years and in that time we've increased population by 300% and got two pedestrian crossings, a roundabout and the world's lamest skate park (but that was 20 years ago now).
Our rego was twice the price it used to be $500 for a diesel ute it was supposed to be to cover ACC accident compensation Corp,....reason it got cheaper I think was they started investing ACC,s huge pool of $ in the share market or kiwisaver ? But we don't have compulsory 3rd party insurance I think you guys do don't you ? I think that's a good idea

My city Tauranga is the most traffic conjested in the country ,we also have the largest export port in the country so it works real well ,we have the most toll roads in the country one of them you pay $5 in a truck and it can take 30-40 min to get 500m ....crazy , they started building two flyover at the Mount 4 years ago single lane each way still not finished grid lock all day every day

There's a big hooha in Auckland at the moment because a big sink hole appeared and a sewer line ruptured been like it for weeks it's pouring millions of litres of raw sewage into the harbour every day ....the pipe was put there in around 1910 -14

524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
Old 20-10-2023, 09:39 PM   #42
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Tell these people on here about road user tax, diesel and keeping logbooks for diesel powered vehicles
The most regulated industry in the country....they wonder why there's no drivers left ,we have electronic log books now makes it even more fun

The average age of a truck driver 3 years ago was 57 ...in another 5 years there will be none left ...
.but I spose they'll just get more from India

524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual
Old 21-10-2023, 12:42 PM   #43
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
so are you not going to use the new road network when completed, or are you going to avoid the rail crossing improvements, are you not going to attend one of the new hospitals or are you not going to send your kids to one of the many new schools.

Your argumet is irrelevant, you want these services but don't want to pay for them
Trev, don't know what you smoking, but it is "fact the government has massive budget blow outs to pay", money that could have been better managed, that is what my comment was about and nothing else, have a good day.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-10-2023, 09:17 PM   #44
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
Trev, don't know what you smoking, but it is "fact the government has massive budget blow outs to pay", money that could have been better managed, that is what my comment was about and nothing else, have a good day.
Don't smoke anything, was there any need for that comment?
Old 21-10-2023, 10:50 PM   #45
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:

Caveat: I don't live in Victoria.

The roads I use mostly are toll roads (I don't pay for fuel, so happy to pay tolls)
I only use private hospitals
Kids will go to private schools

Given you'd like a user pays setup, should I not pay less tax given I don't use these govt facilities? Or do I have to pay it for those who aren't doing the right thing.
Old 21-10-2023, 11:14 PM   #46
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Don't smoke anything, was there any need for that comment?

Probably not, but there was no need for your comment and it is you who is being argumentative and a smartass.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2023, 11:48 PM   #47
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by kypez View Post

The roads I use mostly are toll roads (I don't pay for fuel, so happy to pay tolls)

Given you'd like a user pays setup, should I not pay less tax given I don't use these govt facilities? Or do I have to pay it for those who aren't doing the right thing.
They don't call us 'the lucky country' for nothing, however 95% of people misinterpret the intended meaning of the term 'the lucky country'.

Quote:
The Lucky Country is a 1964 book by Donald Horne. The title has become a nickname for Australia and is generally used favourably, although the origin of the phrase was negative in the context of the book. Among other things, it has been used in reference to Australia's natural resources, weather, history, its early dependency of the British system, distance from problems elsewhere in the world, and other sorts of supposed prosperity.

The title of Horne's book comes from the opening words of the book's last chapter:

Australia is a lucky country run mainly by second rate people who share its luck. It lives on other people's ideas, and, although its ordinary people are adaptable, most of its leaders (in all fields) so lack curiosity about the events that surround them that they are often taken by surprise.

Horne's statement was an indictment of 1960s Australia. His intent was to comment that, while other industrialised nations created wealth using clever means such as technology and other innovations, Australia did not. Rather, Australia's economic prosperity was largely derived from its rich natural resources and immigration. Horne observed that Australia "showed less enterprise than almost any other prosperous industrial society.
I see that in the preceding 60 years since that book was published, not much has changed
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 22-10-2023, 01:10 AM   #48
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
They don't call us 'the lucky country' for nothing, however 95% of people misinterpret the intended meaning of the term 'the lucky country'.

I see that in the preceding 60 years since that book was published, not much has changed
I can't remember the European economist who said it, and I paraphrase, Australia is a first world country with a third world economy. Digging up resources and selling them is a mugs game.

And taxing those that are doing well or working harder isn't a great solution either.

(I'm happy to pay my share to help those less fortunate than me. Just leave my EV free from some fake tax. I already pay more than my fair share!)
Old 22-10-2023, 06:45 AM   #49
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:

I have been to other States, you use minor roads more than toll roads, don't be fictious. User pays, it is how the system works. And if you have an emergency you won't be going to a private hospital
Old 22-10-2023, 06:47 AM   #50
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
I already pay more than my fair share!)
and so does nearly every other tax payer in Australia, including subsidising your road use
Old 22-10-2023, 08:35 AM   #51
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Australia is a first world country with a third world economy. Digging up resources and selling them is a mugs game.

Just leave my EV free from some fake tax. I already pay more than my fair share!)
It is a mugs game alright, now that we are on the brink to dig up more to supply resources to build EV's or is this fake new as well.

Maybe all new vehicles could be sold with a itemised resources tax included.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2023, 09:40 AM   #52
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Is your house on a toll road? Is your car craned onto the toll road from your driveway?

Guess where you get sent when your private hospital operation has complications? And when's the last time you went private in an emergency? Not to mention that not a single doctor you will ever use was trained in the private system.

Private schools also receive a lot of federal funding.

Reality is, you're using a lot of publicly funded infrastructure, whether it is publicly owned or not. It is only a quirk that sees EVs avoid road usage charges. You can bet had the government of the day known that ICE cars would one day be replaced by EVs, they'd have found a way to tax km's travelled by some means other than fuel use.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 22-10-2023, 10:22 AM   #53
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Is your house on a toll road? Is your car craned onto the toll road from your driveway?

Guess where you get sent when your private hospital operation has complications? And when's the last time you went private in an emergency? Not to mention that not a single doctor you will ever use was trained in the private system.

Private schools also receive a lot of federal funding.

Reality is, you're using a lot of publicly funded infrastructure, whether it is publicly owned or not. It is only a quirk that sees EVs avoid road usage charges. You can bet had the government of the day known that ICE cars would one day be replaced by EVs, they'd have found a way to tax km's travelled by some means other than fuel use.
Yes. My most common trips from my house are all toll roads (joys of living in Sydney). My point was more that old mate in the country getting a railway crossing upgrade has little effect on my driving.

Actually, the hospital that I go to is Private with emergency. And no, they don't send us to a public hospital after either. I've had a few procedures and surgeries over the years, all in Private hospitals without ever going to a public hospital.

Yes, private schools do get funding.

Point I was leaning to was user pay. The Victorian setup was that they paid for kms travelled even in other states. The system was bad and unfair that Victoria collected money for kms driven in NSW for example.

The only fair way would be a federal tax.

And EV owners can't be blamed for shortsighted govt policy.

Where do you stop? LPG generates less excise and was free of excise for decades. EVs have no excise and everyone loses their mind. No one was protesting LPG

Last edited by kypez; 22-10-2023 at 10:39 AM.
Old 22-10-2023, 10:25 AM   #54
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
It is a mugs game alright, now that we are on the brink to dig up more to supply resources to build EV's or is this fake new as well.

Maybe all new vehicles could be sold with a itemised resources tax included.
Think you missed the point. We shouldn't just dig it up and send it overseas. We should be designing and building here. We should be innovating here and using those resources to support local industry and design.
2 users like this post:
Old 22-10-2023, 10:29 AM   #55
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
I have been to other States, you use minor roads more than toll roads, don't be fictious. User pays, it is how the system works. And if you have an emergency you won't be going to a private hospital
My local Private Hospital has an emergency. I've never gone to a public hospital. Even during COVID, the ambulance took me there.

And yes, obviously I was being facetious (I'm guessing that's what you meant and not "fictious" which isn't a word).
Old 22-10-2023, 10:31 AM   #56
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
and so does nearly every other tax payer in Australia, including subsidising your road use
Not really. As mentioned, dual cab utes don't pay LCT (and GST on the LCT) and get generous tax breaks.

LPG has less excise and was free of excise for decades. E85 pays excise on 15% of the fuel.

Last edited by kypez; 22-10-2023 at 11:01 AM.
Old 22-10-2023, 11:54 AM   #57
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Think you missed the point. We shouldn't just dig it up and send it overseas.
There was a point ?

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2023, 11:56 AM   #58
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
There was a point ?
Between Franco and I...

Maybe reading his post gives more context to mine? Maybe not. It did to me
Old 22-10-2023, 03:47 PM   #59
Vekgib

Quote:

Geez even by your ( lofty ) standards, this is one of your best "How wonderful am I ? You should all be like me" posts

Stuff this,I'm going to play a few shots & see what happens.
Vekgib is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2023, 03:50 PM   #60
kypez
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vekgib View Post
Geez even by your ( lofty ) standards, this is one of your best "How wonderful am I ? You should all be like me" posts
It was actually me suggesting that those that ride in on their high horse proclaiming that EVs need to pay their fair share whilst most of society doesn't anyway.

LPG/E85 didn't get this much attention but EVs have.

Think you missed the point... Again.