Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 13-04-2020, 08:30 AM   #1
thewonderer

Default Sync 3 Updates for MD - 24hr wait

Hi,

I've just picked up a 2nd hand mondeo MD2017. I've registered the car on the Ford Owners site and requested the download so i can put it on a USB in the car.

The website says wait 24 hours, and still no email. I double checked the email address and my SPAM folder. Has anyone else had to wait a while to get the update? Why does it take so long for the download link? Is some manually doing checks back at Ford?

I read the Map update isn't free either but should get updated at the dealer when you bring it in for a scheduled service.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Next fun thing after this will be changing the low beam H7 to something better.

Thanks.
thewonderer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2020, 10:11 AM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Sync 3 Updates for MD - 24hr wait

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewonderer View Post
Hi,

I've just picked up a 2nd hand mondeo MD2017. I've registered the car on the Ford Owners site and requested the download so i can put it on a USB in the car.

The website says wait 24 hours, and still no email. I double checked the email address and my SPAM folder. Has anyone else had to wait a while to get the update? Why does it take so long for the download link? Is some manually doing checks back at Ford?

I read the Map update isn't free either but should get updated at the dealer when you bring it in for a scheduled service.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Next fun thing after this will be changing the low beam H7 to something better.

Thanks.
With the H7s this are a good value for money upgrade for standard lows:

https://www.powerbulbs.com/au/produc...ration-h7-twin
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2020, 01:33 PM   #3
thebigd

On the few occasions I've requested the update, I have always had the link emailed to me within the hour.
The map update should be done FOC with a scheduled service. Make sure Sync is updated before you do this, and be sure to request the map update as well. I've heard some dealers are a bit slack.
Keep us in the loop with the headlight upgrade. Surely LED is an option these days ?
thebigd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2020, 03:10 PM   #4
JamoRS
Starter Motor

Yep, LED for the win!
JamoRS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-04-2020, 08:27 PM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigd View Post
On the few occasions I've requested the update, I have always had the link emailed to me within the hour.
The map update should be done FOC with a scheduled service. Make sure Sync is updated before you do this, and be sure to request the map update as well. I've heard some dealers are a bit slack.
Keep us in the loop with the headlight upgrade. Surely LED is an option these days ?
The problem with LED retrofits is that because the length of the the light assembly is different this ends up placing the LED outside of the focal point of the lens/projector assembly and you end up with less usable light down range or annoying other drivers with an odd beam pattern.

Better off sticking to trusty halogens like the assemblies were designed for, but the upgraded variants.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 14-04-2020, 07:05 AM   #6
thewonderer

Hi, thanks for the advice on the bulbs. I've done some research and did see a. YouTube channel by a UK mechanic who has over 50 mondeo for taxi fleet. He did use an auxbeam h7 s2 series. He did get sponsored by them but it was good to see the beam pattern and comments from other people. Not looking forward to removing the front grille to get the bulbs in..
Old 14-04-2020, 04:19 PM   #7
thewonderer

Got the car parked in range of my WiFi as i've not received any link for the USB update for 48 hours. So far the download speed seems to be around a solid 7 Mbps on my 50 Mbps connection. Left key in ignition on turn 1 while it's downloading. Progress bar hasn't moved after 10 mins of downloading. Hope this information will be of use to other people updating their Sync 3 via WiFi in the future.
Old 14-04-2020, 05:22 PM   #8
thewonderer

Quote:
Got the car parked in range of my WiFi as i've not received any link for the USB update for 48 hours. So far the download speed seems to be around a solid 7 Mbps on my 50 Mbps connection. Left key in ignition on turn 1 while it's downloading. Progress bar hasn't moved after 10 mins of downloading. Hope this information will be of use to other people updating their Sync 3 via WiFi in the future.

UPDATE.

The WiFi update failed. No indication why. Took an hour to get to a failed state and it was just back at the start when i tried again. I've emailed Ford for assistance it getting the direct download. Can you see that the maps and version of Sync have never been updated by any of the dealers the car went to.
Old 14-04-2020, 05:34 PM   #9
thebigd

Quote:
Good luck with the download. Mine stalled too using wifi, pic attached. It never got past this point, so ended up doing it by USB.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4098.JPG (64.0 KB, 10 views)
Old 14-04-2020, 05:53 PM   #10
thebigd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
The problem with LED retrofits is that because the length of the the light assembly is different this ends up placing the LED outside of the focal point of the lens/projector assembly and you end up with less usable light down range or annoying other drivers with an odd beam pattern.
Better off sticking to trusty halogens like the assemblies were designed for, but the upgraded variants.
Fair comment, although there are some higher end LED companies that have addressed the light projection issue, especially for projector style lenses.
The LED body not fitting into the headlight housing has been another issue on some applications, although this is also on the improve thanks to fanless designs.
Old 14-04-2020, 06:04 PM   #11
thebigd

Quote:
You can see that the maps and version of Sync have never been updated by any of the dealers the car went to.
Can I ask what version of Sync and maps you currently have ?
Old 15-04-2020, 07:17 AM   #12
thewonderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by thebigd View Post
Can I ask what version of Sync and maps you currently have ?
This morning I went to take a photo of the version of Sync 3 - version 2. which i recall being from late 2016. When i put the key in the ignition and checked the version it actually upgraded! Its up to 1925 if memory I recall correctly.

To sum up, WiFi update does work, but it looks like it doesn't and it didn't notify that it had done a successful update until i'd turned off the ignition and turned it on again and went to check the version.

I think as long as you don't get an error message but the download status bar finishes, then it's updating in the background. I was monitoring my Wifi throughput from my Router until it stopped download yesterday.

Now on to getting the map update .... currently 1.15

Thanks for everyone for the feedback and advice. I hope my experience will help other owners.
Old 15-04-2020, 07:36 AM   #13
thebigd

Good result !
Build 19205 is current for version 3.0 as far as I know.
Old 23-04-2020, 06:09 PM   #14
Zigman

Sync 3, version 3.0 build 19205, does seem like the most recent version (and likely the last version). If Ford doesn't send you the link or WiFi doesn't work, there are other ways to get it.

As I understand it, the most recent map is ANZ 1.19 which your local dealership should install for free as part of a scheduled service, but agreed, best to ask for it when you drop the car off. Or you could just use CarPlay or AA with Google Maps, Waze, or even Apple Maps.

For the early model Mondeo's that only support Sync 3 up to v3.0, if you really want to live on the edge, you can also find Sync 3, v3.4 available if you look in the right places. And while the reports from those who have done it indicate success, be warned, doing so is 100% at your risk ... "the Secretary will disavow any knowledge of your actions."

Last edited by Zigman; 23-04-2020 at 06:14 PM. Reason: Map Version correction.
Zigman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-04-2020, 07:18 PM   #15
thebigd

I keep coming back to Sync after using these apps, but as you suggest, 19025 may be the last V3 has to offer, and these other apps may continue to update and offer a better interface.
Keen to hear any feedback you have on V3.4.
Old 24-04-2020, 08:16 AM   #16
Zigman

I haven't done the conversion from v3.0 to v3.4 yet. I'm still 50:50 about doing it or not. Most people seem to have success, so maybe OK.
For those in the thread who are wondering ... see this link ...
https://cyanlabs.net/tutorials/updat...FVg0Bcz1hjuXcg
Zigman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post