Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 12-09-2017, 06:07 PM   #301
prydey
Rob

Default Re: The Camping Thread

I looked at flamingos but the wife preferred the layout of the swan. They are really good campers and even without racing can be set up in about 20 min, including awning.
Good price too.
prydey is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2017, 01:16 PM   #302
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The Girlfriend and I just got back 2 weeks ago from a 10 day trip to Ularu.
We went in her Kia Carnival, at first i was worried about the car not making it as we were doing around 7000kms. I put a cage on the roof rack to store most of the camping gear, stuff we use the least and the rest went into the back along with a double mattress, I tell you what, i didn't think much of the kia but once you take out all the seats which they just slide out, there is plenty of sleeping room in the back, i mean i'm 6foot4 and i could stretch out with no restictions. The car was reliable and did 12litres per 100kms loaded up.
We left Bunbury WA in the afternoon, going through Wagin, Ravensthorpe, Norseman, I could only get 3 hours sleep the first night as we were so excited so got up at 3am, I think we were somewhere between Lake King and Ravensthorpe so i decided to drive all night and most of next day, doing as many kms as we can the first few nights, because 3700kms to Ularu.
We did the Nullabour road and stopped at all the sight seeing places, I also wanted to do most of the kms at night while Cazzy slept so we could stop and sight see during the day, because this trip was to celebrate her 50th birthday and it would have been tight if i didn't rack up the kms at night. Her birthday was to fall on the thursday so i wanted to be comfortable at Ularu by then.
Went through Ceduna and Port Augusta, had to replace the low beam globes there as they both burnt out.
Again drove most of the night to Coober Pedy, spent the day there, what and unusual town .
That night camped near Erlanda roadhouse behind the HWY, and then carried on to Kings Canyon.. Wow..
After that we made it to Ularu, so we spent 2 days there looking around, relaxing.. Spent the night at the field of lights for Cazzy's Birthday lit the candles on her birthday cake while we were having a drink watching the sun go down over Ularu ..
Time to head back, so we came back the Great Central Road, the road was fine but when we got back we had to get the wheels balanced lol..
It was a great way to spend a holiday with Caz and celebrate her 50th.
We took $2200, most of the cost was fuel,but we ate well and could afford to pay for site seeing extras. We lived comfortably, camping on the side of the road apart from 2 nights at the Yulara caravan park.
But if i was to do that again, i'd definatly go in the Kia, we didn't even get sore bums or a blow out.

damo76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 13-09-2017, 02:03 PM   #303
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here is some pics of the trip
5 users like this post:
Old 13-09-2017, 03:19 PM   #304
stock1991
Limited supply

damo that eagle has spotted you
stock1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2017, 04:30 PM   #305
Trevor 57
is now there

nice pics mate - well done
Trevor 57 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-09-2017, 06:37 PM   #306
prydey
Rob

Great pics damo.

So much to see and do in Australia. Wouldn't mind doing uluru myself one day.
Old 13-09-2017, 06:55 PM   #307
damo76
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yer took ages to get the eagle to look at me it was a great trip, the GF and i are planning one in december from Bunbury to Melbourne on our motorbikes best gf ever, she has her own motorbike
Old 13-09-2017, 07:43 PM   #308
stock1991
Limited supply

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo76 View Post
Yer took ages to get the eagle to look at me it was a great trip, the GF and i are planning one in december from Bunbury to Melbourne on our motorbikes best gf ever, she has her own motorbike
lol mate, best eagle ever, notice how black the bird is, a mature adult, must of felt comfortable
stock1991 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-10-2017, 11:16 PM   #309
prydey
Rob

Just spent 3 nights at mambray creek campground in mt remarkable national park in the southern flinders. What a great spot. Spacious sites, reasonable screening from other sites, flushing toilets and hot showers amongst some great scenery. Will put some pictures up later (straight back to work on night shift...) but if you are in SA, and like camping, its a must.

A day trip to alligator gorge is also an absolute must do. Absolutely spectacular down in the gorge.

We'll be heading back there for sure. Meant to be even better in the cooler months.
This user likes this post:
Old 04-10-2017, 03:13 PM   #310
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
Just spent 3 nights at mambray creek campground in mt remarkable national park in the southern flinders. What a great spot. Spacious sites, reasonable screening from other sites, flushing toilets and hot showers amongst some great scenery. Will put some pictures up later (straight back to work on night shift...) but if you are in SA, and like camping, its a must.

A day trip to alligator gorge is also an absolute must do. Absolutely spectacular down in the gorge.

We'll be heading back there for sure. Meant to be even better in the cooler months.
I don't usually like to brag, but....I told you so!

And to think, Poppa Smurf said it was a **** hole, never believed a word that advertisement for solar power said.

Did you do any of the walks, I imagine it would have been pretty warm up there lately.

Did you have beers with the ranger?
He has a farm just across the road from the entrance on the highway but his Wife loves it so much they spend most weekends in the park where he shares a coldie with the visitors.
If you want the best experience, aim for mid year holidays in future, its awesome.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2017, 03:45 PM   #311
sgt_doofey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

BENT_8, if you're looking for some lighting for your trailer, check these out:
https://www.4wdsupacentre.com.au/ill...light-kit.html
Should do the trick for you and only $35.
I bought the 5 bar one for $75 a few month ago. Haven't used it, but it looks quite good for the price.
Old 04-10-2017, 08:08 PM   #312
MDS69
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just did three nights at Wollondilly River Station in the NSW Southern Highlands. Great spot by the river.
MDS69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-10-2017, 08:24 PM   #313
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
I don't usually like to brag, but....I told you so!
Yes you did. Its also one of the rare times the reality is actually better than the online pictures look. The sites were very generous in size and mostly reasonably screened from each other. I used to think, based on the online pics (thumbnails on booking site) that it wasn't really that suitable for tents, but while the ground is hard, its not 'rocky' and the sites are mostly level. Good pegs and mini sledge would be a must, but there were plenty of tents around.
It is mainly camper trailers and vans though.
Our site was #7 and when we go again we will stay in the same area. We felt for us, the sites facing the creek were the best ones. Sure, there is a bit of foot traffic due to being close to the facilities, but we parked our van parallel to the path so we were facing the creek and shielded from passers by.
Its our new favourite spot, although we haven't actually been to that many.

Quote:
Did you do any of the walks, I imagine it would have been pretty warm up there lately..
As mentioned earlier, did a day trip to Alligator Gorge and did 'the narrows' walk. absolutely fantastic, despite seeing a junior brown snake...

did the mambray ck walk that just follows the ck down toward the baroota hike and loops back. Also did the baroota ruins hike. We set off on the Hidden Gorge hike but that was too hot and we pulled the pin after about 3km and turned back.

I'll upload some pics when i get time but for now here is a link to my strava page which has the walks and some pics
baroota hike
https://www.strava.com/activities/1211573227
Alligator Gorge
https://www.strava.com/activities/1209588068

Quote:
Did you have beers with the ranger?
He has a farm just across the road from the entrance on the highway but his Wife loves it so much they spend most weekends in the park where he shares a coldie with the visitors.
If you want the best experience, aim for mid year holidays in future, its awesome.
Ranger (assuming its the same guy) sure was a friendly chap. Was good that they don't act like the police, although for some of the people there it may not have been a bad thing if they did.
Old 05-10-2017, 05:43 PM   #314
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Its our new favourite spot, although we haven't actually been to that many.
I'm glad you enjoyed it, it's a fantastic place with all the facilities you could ask for in a bush camping scene.
Its a shame you didn't get to do the Davey Gully Hike or make it up to the shepherds hut up the creek, but with the warm weather and being so dry you'd have found plenty of that little browns cousins.
Did you get a visit from the Monitor Lizards?

Now you've had a taste, you can explore further in future, it is truly breathtaking especially at points like the battery track ridge and Sugar gum lookout.
Unfortunately Mt Cavern track is closed due to washouts but I'm told they are pushing to get funding for repairs as it is quite a challenging hike with spectacular views once you get up there and would be a shame to remain off limits.

Was it busy, it can get a bit full on during the school holidays which is why I prefer to go up a week or so after, giving the ranger a chance to tidy up and less traffic.

I've just completed a 9 day trip to Sydney, 6 of those driving as we took our time, but i'd have swapped it for a few nights up there in a heartbeat.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:44 PM   #315
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Was it busy, it can get a bit full on during the school holidays
according to the online booking, every site was booked, but once there, the reality was quite different. it was probably 2/3rds booked, but a surprising amount of empty sites considering it was a long weekend and school holidays.

perhaps the crows being in the grand final caused people to change their plans??

speaking of which, it was quite funny. i'm not in to AFL and don't follow it, but living in adelaide you can't avoid the fact that most media outlets consider anything related to the crows, 'newsworthy', so i was aware they were in the final. we arrived sat arvo about 2ish, so there was a bit of a buzz around with radio's blaring and the odd tv. we set up camp, had a quick bite to eat (who doesn't like snags on bread when camping) and then set off for an explore up the creek. about half 3 we noted that there didn't seem to be much noise coming from back at the camp ground. i thought perhaps it was half time. about an hour later it became evident that the crows weren't doing so well, as the footy was off and the camp was silent except for normal camping sounds. Talk about hardened supporters i found it amusing anyway.

anyway, i digress. the campground, even with only a few sites empty, didn't feel that full. i'm not a real social person and it still felt fairly empty to me. no queues to the toilets or showers. it was good to experience it on the full side knowing it can only improve.
Old 05-10-2017, 07:56 PM   #316
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Has anybody been to Blanket Bay in the Otways? What’s it like, and how does it go for vehicle access?
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-10-2017, 08:06 PM   #317
prydey
Rob

some pics

3 users like this post:
Old 05-10-2017, 11:32 PM   #318
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

The reason it appeared fully booked but in reality only 2/3 full is because of the park pass system that they use currently.
The Ranger was telling us that because the grey nomads can buy a full year pass for only $100 they just book willy nilly and hardly ever turn up and it is something which has been noted and is in the process of being rectified.

He said before the online rego's started the place was full every holiday period but since the new system has been implemented, and you can just book from home with the cheap pass, it has become a real issue when people turn up without pre booking and cracking the ****s with him when they cant set up on an empty site because its booked by someone who may or may not turn up.

He also said the online system was causing all kinds of issues with campers turning up late in the evenings and being turned away if there are no sites left.
In the old days of envelopes at the gate, once the sites were full, he could open up the group sites at the western end of the camp ground and let them stay there, but now he cant take money he cant open them up.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:40 PM   #319
prydey
Rob

I guess it's a tough situation to be in. Personally I like the online system because it guarantees I have a site before I leave home. It's a long way to travel to find out its full. Having said that I understand how those that are travelling and setting their agenda as they go are being disadvantaged by it, esp if there is no internet coverage to be able to book online whilst on the road.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:47 PM   #320
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

You can get service in there to check for unbooked sites but you've got to stand in the right spot and hold your tongue the right way lol.
When we went up last time the sites I usually use were booked and I wasn't sure which others would suit my camper so I just wrote down all the site numbers already booked before I left home and then picked an unbooked one when i'd had a suss around and booked it there and then.

He said the online system is there to stay, which I agree, is excellent in guaranteeing a site before leaving home, but the multi park discount passes are going to be discontinued at some stage.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:21 AM   #321
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

4x4 loaded up, fishing gear packed, guns packed, swag packed, camera packed, heading bush at 6am tomorrow morning, should probably be in bed, but too excited.....

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 08-10-2017, 01:57 AM   #322
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
4x4 loaded up, fishing gear packed, guns packed, swag packed, camera packed, heading bush at 6am tomorrow morning, should probably be in bed, but too excited.....
Where's the Quintrex?

Have fun!
Old 09-10-2017, 11:25 PM   #323
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Where's the Quintrex?

Have fun!

No Quintrex yet..I will get there eventually.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-10-2017, 05:45 PM   #324
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Well guys, it embarasses me to say this but i have a confession to make.....I'm Glamping!
There, i said it..lol
After the hectic time in Sydney last week we decided a weekend on the magnificent Yorke Peninsula at Pt Vincent was in order.
As were only here for 48hrs in total, we left the tents and camper trailer at home and booked 2 nights in these fancy OzShacks at the foreshore caravan park which are amazingly cheap yet comfortable for what they are.
Kicking back with a few Corona's in perfect weather as i type.
Old 14-10-2017, 05:52 PM   #325
prydey
Rob

glamping, camping, whatever... enjoying the outdoors is what matters.

i'll be in a highrise in caloundra in about 10 weeks and i won't be feeling ashamed, embarrassed or in need of confession at all
Old 15-10-2017, 01:28 PM   #326
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:

i'll be in a highrise in caloundra in about 10 weeks and i won't be feeling ashamed, embarrassed or in need of confession at all
Sounds good Rob, if the weather is as nice up there as we've had it this weekend and the bikini's are on show, a confessional might be in order
Old 15-10-2017, 02:19 PM   #327
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:

If you were here now, you'd want to be in that high rise. It is rather wet........
Old 15-10-2017, 06:20 PM   #328
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by buggerlugs View Post
If you were here now, you'd want to be in that high rise. It is rather wet........
this might sound a bit strange, but having grown up in brissie, and now being in Adelaide for the last 25yrs, one of the things i hope for is a few decent storms while i'm up there
mind you for the bulk of the time i'll be with my folks at greenbank, which they often joke should be renamed brownbank. they watch the storms build, and then they split and go around... very frustrating at times given they are only on tank water with mains trickle feed.

of course i wouldn't wish floods or major damage on anyone, but nothing like a good decent thunderstorm. i remember as a kid up there, the sky used to turn like a green colour and then it would throw rocks at you... it was awesome
Old 15-10-2017, 06:21 PM   #329
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Sounds good Rob, if the weather is as nice up there as we've had it this weekend and the bikini's are on show, a confessional might be in order
i'll be with the family and my folks will be with us as well, so sounds like i'll have to keep the sunnies on at all times...
Old 27-10-2017, 09:15 PM   #330
Junkyard-Dog
*barks incessantly

I did end up going on that hiking/camping trip, I just didn't bother taking photos

Next time I'll take photos and review my camping gear. Unless I cbf again
Junkyard-Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post