Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 24-12-2021, 11:57 AM   #1
theprez
Starter Motor

Default Help needed for ECU issues on my Ford Mondeo LX TDCI 2012

So I'm desperately hoping someone can point me in the right direction or recommend someone that can help me out with ECU issues causing the car to go in to limp mode.

So I purchased a car from auction during lockdown and have had problems with the car going in to limp mode from the moment I got it home. I found an invoice from the previous owner which I have attached that shows the exact issue that Ford themselves couldn't fix.

I paid $4700 for the car and it has 195000 on the clock. Please if anyone can tell me wether it's something worth fixing or not and if so could you possible recommend a decent mechanic that can actually sort the problem?

Please any help would be gratefully appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 266669705_1519318761771697_4301566930927792000_n.jpg (114.9 KB, 33 views)
theprez is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2021, 02:29 PM   #2
Blue Dog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Help needed for ECU issues on my Ford Mondeo LX TDCI 2012

This is how it works.
If you have an engine with a piston sticking out the side of the block, the problem can be identified very quickly.
The repair however will be rather expensive.

In your case there is a problem, or a number of problems relating to a communication issue in your vehicle.
Unlike the quick diagnosis in the above scenario, diagnosing the problem could take an extended amount of time, which could translate into a significant expense.
The actual cost of the repair may be relatively cheap.

So whether or not it's worth pursuing will depend on whether you can fix it yourself, or at least diagnose it, or pay someone else to do it.

Whether you decide to do it, or get someone else to do it, the first step is the same.
Connect to the DDL & see if there are any fault codes logged.
You can see on the receipt you attached, the technician completed this process.

Once you have any logged codes recorded, a diagnostic strategy can be developed.
Blue Dog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-12-2021, 04:12 PM   #3
bundybear75

Invest in a quality bluetooth OBD dongle, and buy the paid version of Forscan for your phone (around $10 on playstore)

I use an OBDLink for mine, similar to this - https://www.obdlink.com/products/obdlink-mxp/

A lot of these fault codes reset when you turn the car off, so the ability to read and record a fault code is essential when chasing faults.
2010 Peugeot 308 HDi SW - Shaggin Wagon II
2016 VDJ200R Landcruiser GX Wagon - TTD V8 Power !
2017 Toyota RAV4 GX Wagon - Shopping trolley - Gone
2022 Volvo XC40 T4 Inscription - Shopping trolley II
2002 BMW R1150GS
bundybear75 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-12-2021, 05:18 PM   #4
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

A couple of common possibilities and worth a look: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qI_EiVqgSjM and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yop_WFCHvuc and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Tm_y02fGPw and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=feOpfrKeU5w

Last edited by aussiblue; 24-12-2021 at 05:30 PM.
aussiblue is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-12-2021, 08:31 AM   #5
11ford11
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Get it scanned for fault codes and have your battery tested is probably a good place to start
11ford11 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post