Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 02-01-2021, 05:45 PM   #8701
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickford. View Post
for someone who didn't read my post properly, you seem to have climbed up a molehill thinking it's a mountain.

Read it again...

I said cluster. Not returning overseas travellers. Two children and their mother testing positive (december 09) in quarantine does not equate to a cluster.
troll
3 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2021, 06:08 PM   #8702
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
Nah won't happen as it was Victorian issue and they are in NSW now, by the way the courts are too soft especially when a sob story will be given.
Look how most of the lockdown fines in Vic have been rescinded recently, that tells you how soft govco is.
Cheers.
I've always wondered how fines and penalties work cross borders. What if someone cops a speeding fine or losses their license in another state? Can they still get you?

Depending on what they do, the photos being circulated may cost them more than $19k.
Old 02-01-2021, 06:31 PM   #8703
PhilT2

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
I've always wondered how fines and penalties work cross borders. What if someone cops a speeding fine or losses their license in another state? Can they still get you?
Yes, you didn't think the govt would let you get away that easy. Fines follow you and so do demerit points. Loss of licence in one state is loss of licence everywhere.
Old 02-01-2021, 07:53 PM   #8704
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is an agreement between states that demerit points count regardless of where they are incurred.

If you don't pay a fine, then you will be suspended from driving in that state typically at the minimum. I believe they have the option to register the fine in the state for enforcement.

Obviously both depend on whether they can be arsed to do the work.

I'd imagine such recourse is available for these fines.
This user likes this post:
Old 02-01-2021, 08:41 PM   #8705
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well this story with the quarantine skippers gets a bit more interesting if their account is to be believed.

https://www.smh.com.au/national/pair...02-p56raa.html

So did they do the runner as alleged or not? Surely CCTV would sort this out or was the statement of events made to be more dramatic than it was
Old 02-01-2021, 08:55 PM   #8706
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
Well this story with the quarantine skippers gets a bit more interesting if their account is to be believed.
Travel from regional NSW to Canberra. Catch a flight to Melbourne. Then fly back to Canberra the same afternoon (as was planned apparently), because you have an appointment coming up on Tuesday.

All this for a BBQ???

Yeah right. Try again. I call 100% bull****.

Now imagine their tests come back as positive.

Last edited by Tickford.; 02-01-2021 at 09:00 PM.
Old 02-01-2021, 09:12 PM   #8707
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
Travel from regional NSW to Canberra. Catch a flight to Melbourne. Then fly back to Canberra the same afternoon (as was planned apparently), because you have an appointment coming up on Tuesday.

All this for a BBQ???

Yeah right. Try again. I call 100% bull****.

Now imagine their tests come back as positive.
About as plausible they did the runner from the cops and DHHS and made it through

Not hard to tell if their account is true or not. When were the return tickets purchased and did they have an appointment.

I mean even if they walked off, that it is still an issue but can understand why they would if not given any clear direction from DHHS because if they needed to quarantine then surely they should have been led somewhere?

It's very different to what has been alleged however which would be very deliberate. Not sure if that is media pumping it up or not.

Release the tape
Old 02-01-2021, 09:19 PM   #8708
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Not hard to tell if their account is true or not. When were the return tickets purchased and did they have an appointment.
Yes. Time and date of return ticket purchase, and time and date of making the medical appointment would be telling.

That statement is well constructed. Probably done by a lawyer.

Their permit was void when they entered VIC. Doesn't matter if they had a permit on them, it was void. And they would've known that too. You don't "walk away" from an official who's trying to get you an answer because they weren't getting you an answer fast enough for you.

This will most likely end up being Daniel Andrews fault. Just like all the VIC's who are stranded, even though they were sternly warned not to travel to NSW from the 18th of December.

Last edited by Tickford.; 02-01-2021 at 09:25 PM.
Old 02-01-2021, 09:27 PM   #8709
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
That statement is well constructed. Probably done by a lawyer.

Their permit was void when they entered VIC. Doesn't matter if they had a permit on them, it was void. And they would've known that too. You don't "walk away" from an official who's trying to get you an answer because they weren't getting you an answer fast enough for you.
And the bonafides of that statement should be easy enough to figure out.

They say they were confused and there have been plenty that have been. If the official said wait here then yes they should have waited.

But again the account that has been reported is they legged it. Not sure if that is pumped up but again the CCTV would let us know

In either case they were from ****en Goulburn and transited through Canberra. Not a high risk at all though that should not be any reason for deliberately breaking restrictions I should say.
Old 02-01-2021, 09:34 PM   #8710
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
But again the account that has been reported is they legged it. Not sure if that is pumped up but again the CCTV would let us know
It was probably a swift walk out of the airport, and then legged it to a waiting car outside. One tape from inside the airport, one tape from outside the airport.

Which footage is shown on the news depends on which media outlet gets hold of the tape first.
Old 02-01-2021, 09:49 PM   #8711
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

I can understand their photos being published. But I do not agree with their names being published by that SMH article. Now everyone knows their full names.

If they test negative, and while they're the flavour of the week, they should make a deal to do an interview with ACA, TT, 60Min, etc. The money they'll make from the interview(s) would come handy to pay for the fines. And a new car with what's left over.
Old 02-01-2021, 10:18 PM   #8712
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I can understand their photos being published. But I do not agree with their names being published by that SMH article. Now everyone knows their full names.

If they test negative, and while they're the flavour of the week, they should make a deal to do an interview with ACA, TT, 60Min, etc. The money they'll make from the interview(s) would come handy to pay for the fines. And a new car with what's left over.
Well for me they are trying to correct the record and why bother doing that if they are lying? I'd just hide under a rock for a while

Anyways as I have said before these border closures which give a deadline seem to be counterproductive to health outcomes.

I get why they are there but everyone rushing back to beat them seems like it may cause more issues.

And from everything I read people seem to be confused about them. So is it perhaps a better outcome to make the restrictions more broader and immediate to provide some clarity?

I don't agree with the closures except in extreme cases. It is against the overall strategy of suppressing and keeping us under the curve not elimination by using good contact tracing to control spread.

We can argue the toss all day but that was the original intention.
Old 02-01-2021, 10:35 PM   #8713
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Ms Skipper looks like a young Julia Sawalha.
Old 02-01-2021, 10:43 PM   #8714
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I don't agree with the closures except in extreme cases. It is against the overall strategy of suppressing and keeping us under the curve not elimination by using good contact tracing to control spread.

We can argue the toss all day but that was the original intention.
The border closures didn't need to happen IF they had taken enough steps to contain the spread initially e.g. mandatory masking, restrictions on Christmas and NYE gatherings, perhaps harder restrictions of the hot spots, and find those patient zeros. But they didn't, and it was starting to spread, so other states lost trust. Its quite telling when ACT apply border closures.

I can't think of a jurisdiction in the world that has managed to suppress and "live with the virus". Its either rampant or the community transmission is near eliminated. There doesn't seem to be a happy middle ground. Happy to be proven wrong.
Old 02-01-2021, 11:13 PM   #8715
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sure they could have done more but they are trying to balance concerns. NSW has said they are not going to do this open / close border and instead rely on contact tracing to manage this. For me they have managed it pretty good considering they have the largest population in Australia, take on the majority of burden for international arrivals and it has been mostly open the whole time. If it was a bigger concern we would have seen huge spread in NSW by now.

As for ACT closing the borders, I don't agree with it and I'm not really worried either way.

People have come and gone from NSW and ACT constantly this whole pandemic and apart from the Ruby Princess, we've had no issues.
Old 02-01-2021, 11:48 PM   #8716
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Stop being sensible please!

The level of inter-state fractiousness, is dismaying. As someone quoth once: “E Pluribus Unum”…
2 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2021, 11:52 PM   #8717
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

As for ACT closing the borders, I don't agree with it and I'm not really worried either way.

People have come and gone from NSW and ACT constantly this whole pandemic and apart from the Ruby Princess, we've had no issues.
It is odd that ACT closed in such quick fashion, after all the lecturing. 6 hours notice and the notice was given at 6am. How many people would have read the news at 6 during the holiday period?

Which leads me to think, there is something concerning Canberra that perhaps we havent been privy to.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
Old 03-01-2021, 12:21 AM   #8718
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
It is odd that ACT closed in such quick fashion, after all the lecturing. 6 hours notice and the notice was given at 6am. How many people would have read the news at 6 during the holiday period?

Which leads me to think, there is something concerning Canberra that perhaps we havent been privy to.
I was surprised too and it seems the official reason is the amount of non-residents in ACT being 25% of all quarantine cases and that was about managing it all. We don't have the resources of either NSW or VIC.

ACT haven't lectured to anyone as far as I'm aware and up until this point it has been pegged to NSW because a lot of regional NSW depends on ACT services.
Old 03-01-2021, 08:43 AM   #8719
Itsme
Experienced Member

Maybe NSW and Vic take lessons from WA & QLD on how they supress Covid19 successfully.
3 users like this post:
Old 03-01-2021, 09:41 AM   #8720
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Leaders can't escape error of this close call

The Victorian government’s abrupt decision to shut the state’s border with NSW has been nothing short of a debacle.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/l...01-p56r8a.html
Old 03-01-2021, 10:38 AM   #8721
mostly_broncos

All this finger pointing and stone throwing is a bad look.

Go to the worldometer site for the daily numbers and you will see them describing the cases as 99.5% mild

The other bad look is all the posts about what the government is or isn't doing right. People in government are mostly (not all!) clueless or they would have real productive jobs. Depending on bureaucrats to guide the country through a crisis is ridiculous . They are in these jobs because they don't want to actually do anything , of course they are going to fold under pressure and blame everyone else

for all the numbers being bandied about and the claims of contact tracing there is basically no data to be found about all sorts of corona related subjects.

For instance here in the US the people most exposed are health care workers but someone go look up exactly how many of them caught covid (presumably at work) and how many died or were hospitalized or asymptomatic , apparently no one knows .

In Australia where you have had so few cases it should be easy to tell if a family all tested positive how many people in the family were how sick , who did they give it to and how did they give it to them ? Were they asymptomatic transmitters or actively coughing in peoples faces would be very interesting information but where are the numbers?

We can't do that here in the US with millions of cases but if you have 20 or 50 and you can't do it that should make you suspicious.

Last edited by mostly_broncos; 03-01-2021 at 10:47 AM.
Old 03-01-2021, 10:41 AM   #8722
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

None too hard to see which way The Age is leaning these days. While 36 hours wasn't a lot, it was sufficient for most people to make it back one way or another and the 'danger' of that has to be weighed against the danger of increased spread. It was nowhere near as short as some other States that didn't get a mention so I'll call very little in the way of journamlism and a lot of political rhetoric.

The traffic on the Hume (or Northern) wasn't a lot heavier than at the start or end of a holiday period but let's not allow facts to get in the way of a good beat up.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 03-01-2021, 11:13 AM   #8723
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

3 new cases in Victoria, good result. Fingers crossed for NSW today.
Old 03-01-2021, 11:15 AM   #8724
mostly_broncos

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
None too hard to see which way The Age is leaning these days. While 36 hours wasn't a lot, it was sufficient for most people to make it back one way or another and the 'danger' of that has to be weighed against the danger of increased spread. It was nowhere near as short as some other States that didn't get a mention so I'll call very little in the way of journamlism and a lot of political rhetoric.

The traffic on the Hume (or Northern) wasn't a lot heavier than at the start or end of a holiday period but let's not allow facts to get in the way of a good beat up.
If the news source is a fan of the party in power then the story is always they are doing a great job , if they are opposed then every aspect of covid is a club to beat the incumbent party over the head with.

True in every country on earth , excepting the China type places that control the press and tell them what they can publish
Old 03-01-2021, 11:49 AM   #8725
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
3 new cases in Victoria, good result. Fingers crossed for NSW today.
Drove past a few testing sites on the eastern suburbs this morning. Cars are building up. This was quiet early in the morning and it was ****ing down.

I am quite surprised so many people are actually lining up to get tested. Is everyone really feeling unwell or they just want to be cautious? Anyway its good to see I guess.
Old 03-01-2021, 12:24 PM   #8726
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Leaders can't escape error of this close call

The Victorian government’s abrupt decision to shut the state’s border with NSW has been nothing short of a debacle.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/l...01-p56r8a.html
In hindsight the Government should have made the call earlier and given more time for Victorians to return to avoid the traffic congestion.
Old 03-01-2021, 01:30 PM   #8727
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT January 2nd, 2021.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

43 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.193%. NSW recorded 19 cases, Victoria 12, the NT 7, WA 3 and Queensland recorded 1.

No new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.156% and active cases 49.

The UK had a new record 57,724 cases yesterday and 445 deaths.

Just under 221k new cases in the USA yesterday and 2,529 deaths sees CMR fall to 1.725% and active cases at 39.3% with the raw numbers rising and now over 8.1M. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points: (weekend reporting)
Europe passes 24M cases;
The USA completes 256M and Belarus 4M tests.

Only -
UAE (1,963) for the 4th consecutive day;
Ireland (3,394) - almost double the high yesterday; and
United Kingdom (57,724)

recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 03-01-2021, 01:45 PM   #8728
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
None too hard to see which way The Age is leaning these days.

Or any other of Rupert's Rags.......
Old 03-01-2021, 04:19 PM   #8729
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
Or any other of Rupert's Rags.......
The Age is owned by Nine Entertainment. But you can see the influence now - in Fairfax days it would have been Dan Andrew's cheer-leader.
Old 03-01-2021, 04:27 PM   #8730
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
The Age is owned by Nine Entertainment. But you can see the influence now - in Fairfax days it would have been Dan Andrew's cheer-leader.

My Mistake...

However, isn't Peter Costello Boss at nine propaganda entertainment??
Closed Thread