Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 04-01-2021, 02:37 PM   #8761
HIPO
Al

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post
What's the latest on the vaccine. Does it actually stop you becoming infected or just the progression of the illness?

If it's the later how will that work? They can protect the aged/ill and let it rip though the rest of the population?
God only knows, which one? every man & their dog is releasing them... funny that!
Anyone seen stats for the other flu's this past year, thats looking mighty suss too!
Old 04-01-2021, 03:19 PM   #8762
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Quote:
What's the latest on the vaccine. Does it actually stop you becoming infected or just the progression of the illness?

If it's the later how will that work? They can protect the aged/ill and let it rip though the rest of the population?
From what I’ve read I think the latter scenario, so provide protection to vulnerable by reducing impact of infection rather than overall prevention of any transmission of infection.
Old 04-01-2021, 03:24 PM   #8763
Metdevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIPO View Post
God only knows, which one? every man & their dog is releasing them... funny that!
Anyone seen stats for the other flu's this past year, thats looking mighty suss too!
I'm not sure which stats you're talking about in particular (or how they look suss), but in NZ we almost eradicated that too...
https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/progr...ue-to-lockdown

Quote:
He said there has been "near extinction of influenza in New Zealand following our very effective Covid-19 response", as numbers vanished from the two standard systems for surveillance - resulting in a 99.8 percent reduction in flu cases.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoupeKing View Post
Fancy that......

*video*
Things would be a lot easier if everyone knew that these symptoms were a result of your immune system working
Maybe then we wouldn't have all these anti-vaxxers saying stupid things like "the vaccine makes you sick", "I don't vaccinate my kids, and they never get sick".

Luckily with these vaccines being mRNA vaccines, we shouldn't have to worry about people 'getting sick from the vaccine' since they don't actually contain the virus itself...
2 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2021, 04:41 PM   #8764
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
Geez I don't know what is worse! reading the news papers about covid19 updates or reading the 2nd hand news updates that get posted in this topic.
As a Victorian you should be greatful that we have a NSWelshman filtering all the Victorian news for us. Day in day out. I really appreciate that all the faults are highlighted too. I'll give him a gold star for gold standard.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.

Last edited by T3rminator; 04-01-2021 at 05:08 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2021, 04:42 PM   #8765
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

NSW records zero local COVID-19 cases, but two cases found after reporting period

NSW Acting Premier John Barilaro challenged people to come out in droves to get tested, particularly in Western Sydney.

"My message to everybody, everyone though today we are talking about a zero day of locally-acquired cases, it is important that we keep that testing regime up," Mr Barilaro said.

"Let's see how as a state we can actually again bring the numbers up — 30, 40, 50,000."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-...eriod/13029168
This user likes this post:
Old 04-01-2021, 05:36 PM   #8766
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
As a Victorian you should be greatful that we have a NSWelshman filtering all the Victorian news for us. Day in day out. I really appreciate that all the faults are highlighted too. I'll give him a gold star for gold standard.
You get the day off today - I couldn't find anything negative about Victoria to post

All the bad news is north of the Murray ATM.
Old 04-01-2021, 06:14 PM   #8767
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Dan Andrews is slammed for refusing to cancel his holiday plans as a third Covid outbreak threatens Victoria
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
Wonder what the Murdoch fluffer headlines will be from tomorrow?

Will we see similar words such as "slammed" and "refusing" used for the Premier who is going on holidays during an ever increasing Covid outbreak in her state?
What a surprise (NOT!) to see there is no Murdoch media hysteria about this!?? News Corp and their "associate" fluffers at their very best.

*Funny how they have also conveniently ignored reporting on the multiple hotel quarantine breaches.

Quote:
Another serious breach of NSW's hotel quarantine program has sparked a new coronavirus cluster, with thousands who visited a bottle shop in Sydney's west over Christmas and New Year's being asked to self-isolate.
https://www.afr.com/policy/health-an...0210103-p56rep

*Disclaimer: Not an attack on the NSW government. Attacking News Corp.

Last edited by Tickford.; 04-01-2021 at 06:30 PM.
Old 04-01-2021, 06:29 PM   #8768
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

NSW Police Minister ‘furious’ as cops investigate Fairfield wedding venue for having 600-800 guests
Quote:
NSW Police confirmed on Monday the venue has been fined $5000 for allowing between 600 and 800 guests at a reception on Saturday night.
https://www.perthnow.com.au/news/nsw...f8072643fed5de

The Imperial Paradiso reception venue in Fairfield was fined... wait for it.. $5'000 dollars. After they had deliberately disobeyed NSW directives. $5'000, when the venue is said to have made a profit of just over $100'000 for the night. None of the 600 to 800 guests in attendance were fined.

This will only encourage other venues to do as they please, if the fine is only going to be $5'000.
Old 04-01-2021, 06:44 PM   #8769
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
[B][SIZE="4"]The Imperial Paradiso reception venue in Fairfield was fined... wait for it.. $5'000 dollars. After they had deliberately disobeyed NSW directives. $5'000, when the venue is said to have made a profit of just over $100'000 for the night. None of the 600 to 800 guests in attendance were fined.

This will only encourage other venues to do as they please, if the fine is only going to be $5'000.
Having trouble with this - they were fined 5 inches to 3 decimal places?
2 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2021, 06:48 PM   #8770
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Having trouble with this - they were fined 5 inches to 3 decimal places?

Old 04-01-2021, 07:25 PM   #8771
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When you play politics with a pandemic it tends to come back and bite you in the ***....

SCG now limited to 10,000 a day. Common sense prevailed.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
4 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2021, 07:27 PM   #8772
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
NSW health has already stated they will use credit cards/ETF transfers to track down the people.
i didnt think the banks would play ball with that handing over private data
on whom spent what where

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
Old 04-01-2021, 07:48 PM   #8773
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post
on whom spent what where
Most shops have CCTV, just run a few Pics through facebook (which is in the public domain) their facial recognition software should indentify a few people Plus GOVCO have your Drivers Licence Pic Too..

Just a Thought..
Old 04-01-2021, 07:50 PM   #8774
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post
on whom spent what where
I would have thought everybody would know by now in special times needs special actions to combat this virus, personal liberties and rights are being overridden for the common good and this has already happened in Victoria and now happening in NSW.
Have not seen any bleeding hearts complaining lately.

Cheers
Old 04-01-2021, 08:12 PM   #8775
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
I would have thought everybody would know by now in special times needs special actions to combat this virus, personal liberties and rights are being overridden for the common good and this has already happened in Victoria and now happening in NSW.
Have not seen any bleeding hearts complaining lately.

Cheers
Even the health groups doing the tracing are firewalling the info being given to other agencies .. as in not giving it.

I really don't see it happening to be honest. The organisations that process those payments will not hand it over to a state government, which would leave the retailer to hand to over and I doubt they would either.
Old 04-01-2021, 08:16 PM   #8776
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

This is not good!

Urgent Covid alert for 63 Sydney suburbs after disturbing find

Quote:
More than 60 suburbs have been put on alert, after sewage testing at two treatment plants in Sydney detected fragments of the virus which causes Covid-19.

The fragments were detected as part of NSW’s ongoing sewage surveillance, the two treatment plants authorities flagged on Monday are the treatment plants in Liverpool and Glenfield in Sydney’s south west.

The suburbs covered by the Liverpool and Glenfield treatment plans include:
  • Abbotsbury
  • Airds
  • Ambarvale
  • Appin
  • Austral
  • Bardia
  • Blair Athol
  • Blairmount
  • Bonnyrigg Heights
  • Bow Bowing
  • Bradbury
  • Campbelltown
  • Carnes Hill
  • Cartwright
  • Casula
  • Catherine Field
  • Cecil Hills
  • Cecil Park
  • Chipping Norton
  • Claymore
  • Denham Court
  • Eagle Vale
  • Edensor Park
  • Edmondson Park
  • Elizabeth Hills
  • Englorie Park
  • Eschol Park
  • Gledswood Hills
  • Glen Alpine
  • Glenfield
  • Green Valley
  • Hammondville
  • Hinchinbrook
  • Holsworthy
  • Horningsea Park
  • Hoxton Park
  • Ingleburn
  • Kearns
  • Len Waters Estate
  • Leppington
  • Leumeah
  • Liverpool
  • Lurnea
  • Macquarie Fields
  • Macquarie Links
  • Menangle Park
  • Middleton Grange
  • Miller
  • Minto
  • Moorebank
  • Pleasure Point
  • Preston
  • Raby,
  • Rosemeadow,
  • Ruse
  • St Andrews
  • St Helens Park
  • Varroville
  • Voyager Point
  • Warwick Farm
  • Wattle Grove
  • West Hoxton
  • Woodbine
https://au.news.yahoo.com/urgent-cov...053633550.html

#StayInfectedStayOpen
Old 04-01-2021, 08:24 PM   #8777
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Even the health groups doing the tracing are firewalling the info being given to other agencies .. as in not giving it.

I really don't see it happening to be honest. The organisations that process those payments will not hand it over to a state government, which would leave the retailer to hand to over and I doubt they would either.

It appears the National Contact Tracing Review has recommended using payment cards to help with contact tracing. It also appears National Cabinet had agreed to the recommendations. It doesn't talk about the legal ramifications though.

https://www.smh.com.au/politics/fede...13-p56eea.html

https://www.mobilepaymentstoday.com/...-transactions/
Old 04-01-2021, 08:32 PM   #8778
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
It appears the National Contact Tracing Review has recommended using payment cards to help with contact tracing. It also appears National Cabinet had agreed to the recommendations. It doesn't talk about the legal ramifications though.

Very curious about this as well...

Considering that when police want similar information it takes many weeks and many many hoops to jump through...

Yet, in reality it would take all of 5 minutes of everyone played ball...

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Old 04-01-2021, 08:35 PM   #8779
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva View Post
Very curious about this as well...

Considering that when police want similar information it takes many weeks and many many hoops to jump through...

Yet, in reality it would take all of 5 minutes of everyone played ball...
I can see how it could get a bit awkward if there is a well known outbreak at an "adult only" establishment and the hubby (or wife?) gets the phone call Not that one would use a credit card at those fine establishments.
Old 04-01-2021, 08:40 PM   #8780
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:

The one major problem I can see is card holders who aren't the account owners. So it may happen that someone using a card in a location and a different person is contacted about that usage... which could be problematic for a number of privacy reasons.

But would be interesting to see if it happens.
Old 04-01-2021, 08:44 PM   #8781
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
The one major problem I can see is card holders who aren't the account owners. So it may happen that someone using a card in a location and a different person is contacted about that usage... which could be problematic for a number of privacy reasons.

But would be interesting to see if it happens.
Correct... I had a similar argument with the bank when I got another person a credit card linked to mine.

Different name, same account - no way to differentiate who paid for what come statement time.

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Old 04-01-2021, 08:57 PM   #8782
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Remember back in the day on the rugby paddock, there was that chirpy little turd of a half back who would stand at the back of the ruck and constantly wind you up. All you ever wanted to do was grab him and beat the living daylights out of him... be he would always scamper away.

McGowan is the political version of that half back

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-...icism/13029578

Quote:
Mr McGowan brushed off the suggestion he was lecturing, saying he wanted to help NSW "where [WA] can" because its model of managing the virus "has worked".
Old 04-01-2021, 09:08 PM   #8783
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:

Believe what you may but when emergency powers are invoked a new set of rules come into play.
Do you think governments do not enact or seek special provisions to their powers in times like these?
Old 04-01-2021, 09:45 PM   #8784
Mr_G6ET
Ford G6ET FG MkII

Quote:
Remember back in the day on the rugby paddock, there was that chirpy little turd of a half back who would stand at the back of the ruck and constantly wind you up. All you ever wanted to do was grab him and beat the living daylights out of him... be he would always scamper away.

McGowan is the political version of that half back

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-...icism/13029578
Quote:
"Currently Western Australia is taking the most per capita of returning Australians of any state"

IMO, states 'allowing' or at least not controlling interstate travel should have acted differently.

You'll bag Gladdys, you'll bag Dan ? What about S.A, Tas or NT ? Haven't heard much from them, at least Mark tells you the 'deal'
If the state(s) govt can't control the people, why shouldn't it be 'black and white' ?
We are fortunate here that's for sure, what would you do with that option given its 'out of control' there ?

I would stand and defend regardless of them that think a loud, with a superiority complex will win; does not work in my space

Last edited by Mr_G6ET; 04-01-2021 at 09:52 PM.
3 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2021, 09:54 PM   #8785
Mr_G6ET
Ford G6ET FG MkII

I still cant understand why the Federal Govt doesnt install/enact 'standards'
Old 04-01-2021, 09:55 PM   #8786
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

4 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2021, 09:59 PM   #8787
Mr_G6ET
Ford G6ET FG MkII

Quote:
daft bastard ..thats funny
Old 04-01-2021, 10:10 PM   #8788
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_G6ET View Post
I still cant understand why the Federal Govt doesnt install/enact 'standards'
This article should somewhat explain the Federal Governments contribution to this whole pandemic.

Quote:
PM shirks duty in gold-standard quarantine blame game (23/12/2020)

When it comes to the managing of the COVID-19 pandemic in Australia, there is plenty of blame to go around. But don’t look to the federal government to accept its fair share.

The Sydney Northern Beaches outbreak has shattered the poster girl image of Liberal premier Gladys Berejiklian that her Canberra counterparts have spent most of the year telling us was the “gold standard” among the states.

Early in the pandemic at the first meeting of Scott Morrison’s national cabinet – the rolling summit of the state and territory leaders – according to a source close to the meeting, the states were shocked when the Prime Minister came to the meeting with no quarantine plan.

I am told that’s when Mr Andrews, with the support of the other state and territory leaders, agreed to set up and pay for hotel quarantine.

This let the Commonwealth off the hook, not that you would know it with the PM regularly touting his generous offer of the Australian Defence Force to assist with policing the arrangement.
The entire article can be found HERE. Well worth the read.
2 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2021, 10:19 PM   #8789
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_G6ET View Post
Quote:
"Currently Western Australia is taking the most per capita of returning Australians of any state"

IMO, states 'allowing' or at least not controlling interstate travel should have acted differently.

You'll bag Gladdys, you'll bag Dan ? What about S.A, Tas or NT ? Haven't heard much from them, at least Mark tells you the 'deal'
If the state(s) govt can't control the people, why shouldn't it be 'black and white' ?
We are fortunate here that's for sure, what would you do with that option given its 'out of control' there ?

I would stand and defend regardless of them that think a loud, with a superiority complex will win; does not work in my space

I'm a big fan of MM. Its got nothing to do with party politics, I just like how he calls it straight, no beating around the bush, marketing spin or weasel words. He is doing exactly the right thing by his constituents with these quick and firm decisions. In fact I think he is doing the right thing by the country as a whole. WA's economy is churning along, and they are bringing in a surplus whereas other states are haemorrhaging deficits.

Lecturing is when you stand on your ivory tower criticising every other premier for taking steps to protect their residents when it is your inaction causing it. Just my opinion.
4 users like this post:
Old 04-01-2021, 10:29 PM   #8790
Mr_G6ET
Ford G6ET FG MkII

Quote:
I'm a big fan of MM. Its got nothing to do with party politics, I just like how he calls it straight, no beating around the bush, marketing spin or weasel words. He is doing exactly the right thing by his constituents with these quick and firm decisions. In fact I think he is doing the right thing by the country as a whole. WA's economy is churning along, and they are bringing in a surplus whereas other states are haemorrhaging deficits.

Lecturing is when you stand on your ivory tower criticising every other premier for taking steps to protect their residents when it is your inaction causing it. Just my opinion.
I hear you, it is a hard (hard) situation. He is that half back that has a good position ?
Not sure he will scamper away, alone maybe but he has backing of us in the WA bubble
Closed Thread