Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 30-06-2021, 12:59 PM   #11851
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: Covid 19 -

I normally avoid mention of my age (for fear of having to act it! ) but it’s only this latest raising of the bar which has technically excluded me from the social inferiors’ vaccine.

As related in another thread, now my obligations are reduced - at least for a few weeks - when the local GPs have levelled up with the surge in requests I will likely roll up my sleeve. (Unless they’re willing to inject my thigh, which would be preferable as I seldom sit down but use both arms for work.)
This user likes this post:
Old 30-06-2021, 01:20 PM   #11852
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

I'm still under 60 and had the AZ shots over 2 months ago, and other than the odd 2 or 3 day blackout where i have no idea where i have been or what i have done, and the homicidal thoughts, it's all roses, never felt better and couldn't be happier......

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
Old 30-06-2021, 02:10 PM   #11853
Trevor 57
is now there

Old 30-06-2021, 02:22 PM   #11854
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

Looking good Trev - maybe some lippy and paint your nails, ol Charlton Heston may rise again.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
6 users like this post:
Old 30-06-2021, 03:27 PM   #11855
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

John and Yoko, isn’t it?

To be serious, my main reservations about the speed with which unproven vaccines (eg the povo vax) were thrust upon us, were firstly about the possibility of effect on unborn babies, (which would have shown up by now) and secondly a common physical manifestation upon others, whether neural or physical (or both).

The outcome here has shown, and it’s of low risk. The 31 year old car I drive most days probably jeopardises my health/welfare more.
Old 30-06-2021, 03:34 PM   #11856
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Putting the big V is back into AFL. But alas, no crowd capacity increases due to the "volatile" situation around the country.....

All 18 AFL teams to be in Victoria as Crows, Port flee SA

https://www.theage.com.au/sport/afl/...30-p585l8.html

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
Old 30-06-2021, 03:43 PM   #11857
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Offices, supermarkets and other shops to be required to use Service NSW QR codes from July 12

Quote:
All NSW workplaces and retail businesses will be required to use Service NSW QR codes from next month.

The requirement, beginning July 12, will represent a massive ramping-up of the state’s information collection relating to the coronavirus and will impact virtually every adult in the state.

It will mean anyone who attends their workplace or any type of store will have to scan a QR code using a smartphone when they enter the building.

Supermarket chains like Coles and Woolworths have already begun offering customers the choice to use the Service NSW check-in system.
https://www.news.com.au/national/nsw...31235229df4213
Old 30-06-2021, 03:57 PM   #11858
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
John and Yoko, isn’t it?

To be serious, my main reservations about the speed with which unproven vaccines (eg the povo vax) were thrust upon us, were firstly about the possibility of effect on unborn babies, (which would have shown up by now) and secondly a common physical manifestation upon others, whether neural or physical (or both).

The outcome here has shown, and it’s of low risk. The 31 year old car I drive most days probably jeopardises my health/welfare more.
and the Fed Gvmt signed an agreement that ensures we can't sue the vaccine maker if it all goes pear shaped and we can't sue the Doctor for administering to us
Old 30-06-2021, 04:37 PM   #11859
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
and the Fed Gvmt signed an agreement that ensures we can't sue the vaccine maker if it all goes pear shaped and we can't sue the Doctor for administering to us
From what I have been able to gather so far, this looks like pretty standard practice for all vaccines. It is the governments that provides insurance for any injuries, not the manufacturers. Take Pandremix for instance, GSK manufactured, but it was the British gov that dished out the compensation.

I posted a link earlier on the Aus gov's scheme for compensation. Just need someone to decipher it.

Rides (past and present)
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

2 users like this post:
Old 30-06-2021, 07:15 PM   #11860
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Not a race? The graphs that rank Australia dead last

https://www.9news.com.au/national/co...f-2c689c39c467

Quote:
In words that may have already come back to haunt him, Scott Morrison said the vaccine rollout wasn't a race.

Now, with fewer than five per cent of the population fully vaccinated, Australia is ranked dead-last in the OECD, a lowly position which two experts have described as unacceptable and a direct result of flawed government COVID-19 vaccine strategy.

"It's a sad indictment on the situation we're in where our vaccine rollout is patently one of the worst in the world," former secretary of the Department of Health Stephen Duckett told nine.com.au.

Australia is the worst-performing country in the OECD for fully vaccinated adults. Our World in Data states its dataset uses the most recent official numbers from governments and health ministries worldwide. (Our World in Data)

With 60 per cent of its adult population vaccinated, Israel sits atop the OECD list, with Chile at 53.8 per cent and Iceland on 52 per cent rounding out a top-three.

The United Kingdom and US are ranked fifth and sixth, with vaccination rates of 47.5 per cent and 45.5 per cent, according to their latest government data.

Costa Rica, ranked 22 of 28 OECD countries, has vaccinated 15.6 per cent of the population – more than three times Australia's rate. onya Charliewool

Australia is one of just nine OECD nations which has less than 20 per cent of its population fully vaccinated.

New Zealand, with 7.9 per cent, is second-last.

Misguided Federal Government strategy last year, including the crucial mistake of hitching Australia's wagon to just two vaccines then under development, had come back to bite hard in 2021, Mr Duckett claimed.

Last July, most countries had put bets on a "broad range" of vaccines, Mr Duckett said, lining up deals in as many as eight vaccines to see which ones worked out.

"Australia had a very narrow range of vaccines," he said, pointing to the Federal Government backing the failed University of Queensland vaccine and the Oxford-AstraZeneca vaccine.

"On top of that, of course, we had the failures in the logistics."

He said there were a "whole lot of other failures" which had contributed to Australia's problem-plagued rollout and "all of them are decisions of government".

Infectious disease expert Bill Bowtell, adjunct professor at UNSW, also said the blame should lie at the feet of the Federal Government.

He said both horses Australia backed - AstraZeneca and UQ - had "fallen over".

"We are last because, unlike almost every other OECD country a year ago, we decided not to back every horse in the race (to ensure we) procured adequate supplies of vaccine by the beginning of 2021."

In contrast, Mr Bowtell said, the United Kingdom had last year backed every coronavirus vaccine which passed the first two trials, with an eye towards final approvals and securing crucial supply agreements.

"It's up to the (Federal) Government to explain why, when that was what was going on, everywhere else in the world, they decided not to do it."

Mr Bowtell claimed the government's decision to bet on UQ and AstraZeneca had been based on "commercial and political considerations", pointing to the eventual deal for the local manufacture of the AstraZeneca vaccine by CSL in Melbourne.

"It's very good to manufacture vaccines in Australia, that's excellent," Mr Bowtell said.

"But the supply of AstraZeneca to the people who needed it was held up for months, because they couldn't produce it," he said, noting it took some time for CSL to get operational.

"Now the facts speak for themselves. Fewer than five per cent of people are totally vaccinated in Australia today and we have the Delta variant running rampant around the country."

Mr Bowtell said Australia, with a population of just 25 million, should be right up alongside OECD leaders, the UK, US, Germany and Finland, with vaccination rates nudging 50 per cent.

"We were too late," he said.

Last year, as the pandemic raged, Australia was one of the world's success stories.

But now, after problems securing AstraZeneca supplies, mixed and muddled government messaging on vaccines and worrying levels of vaccine hesitancy around the country, Australia is one of the developed world's worst performers for vaccinating the population.

"It was always a race," Mr Duckett claimed, criticising earlier government messaging that going slow with vaccines was okay.

"The reason it was always a race was that we wanted to open the borders, and we can't open the borders until we've got a high proportion of the population vaccinated.

"And secondly, we always knew there were new variants coming around.

"And we wanted to be vaccinated before we had the new variants coming around. And as it turned out, they did come around before we vaccinated."

At the time, the government defended the pace of its rollout by stating Australia was not like the US or UK, where many people were hospitalised and dying.

The Delta variant suddenly has Australia on a knife-edge, after a spiralling breakout in Sydney.

Mr Bowtell pointed to a Sydney birthday party, which NSW Health officials have described as a super-spreader event, as an example of how better vaccination rates could have helped prevent the current predicament.

Of the 30 people who attended the West Hoxton party, 24 people tested positive, as did many of their close contacts once they left the celebration.

The six people who didn't catch Delta had been vaccinated.

"The figures speak for themselves," he said.

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
2 users like this post:
Old 30-06-2021, 07:26 PM   #11861
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
Not a race? The graphs that rank Australia dead last

https://www.9news.com.au/national/co...f-2c689c39c467

Rides (past and present)

Old 30-06-2021, 07:27 PM   #11862
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Seems it is all but impossible to sue a pharma Co if you get side effects,likewise very rare for anyone to successfully sue a doctor for administering drugs (poisons) which have side effects.So really don’t know if Covid vaccines are any different.
Old 30-06-2021, 07:37 PM   #11863
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

We are making international press for our lock downs and woeful vaccination rate now

Another shift on AZ. As far as I was aware it was always possible to get AZ where not recommended so long as the benefit outweighed the risk based on an individuals circumstances.

They want to get vaccination rates up and there is little chance of that happening with AZ in the older population. The only way that is going to happen is giving them a choice of Pfizer (supply problems and shifting advice again) or if the risk profile changes a **** load over the coming weeks and months.

So you go another direction and give the under 40s the options to take the AZ. Apparently there has been huge demand for under 40s for AZ since this decision.

It does not surprise me at all because there are 0 options at the moment unless you are in the current phases. Though the medical community appear to be very against this decision.

Last edited by MITCHAY; 30-06-2021 at 07:46 PM.
Old 30-06-2021, 07:45 PM   #11864
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
That's not really how it works. A lot of people (particularly younger generations) are getting vaccinated to protect other people like oldies, the sick and those that can't be vaccinated. It's a largely selfless act to contribute to herd immunity to protect other people rather than yourself.

Nah...I did it for myself, couldn't give a rats about anyone else.

Always start with number #1 is my motto...and proud of it.

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
4 users like this post:
Old 30-06-2021, 08:17 PM   #11865
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
It's against the public health advice, the australian medical association has advised to not listen to the PM urging younger generations to get AZ.
But yes, noone can stop you if you want to do that.

To be fair I didn't have access to either vaccine back then, I wasn't on the priority list and didn't qualify for vaccination at all. What I said was I'll find a way to get pfizer instead of AZ, and the medical advice changed a day or two afterwards anyway to say pfizer should be used in younger generations. I've been isolating since the pandemic started, have worn masks since it started so as to protect others even when they weren't wearing masks to protect me and got vaccinated as soon as I could. I don't have any preexisting health issues but I don't want to be responsible for killing someone else.
FWIW I get the flu jab each year too. Not because I'm in any at-risk group of dying from the flu but I could easily pass it on to someone who might. Keeping others safe is a community responsibility. It's the same reason why your kids can't take peanuts to school despite not having allergies themselves.

Then there are others on here saying they should be able to leave the house of their free will and never be forced into lock down because they're confident in their own ability to survive an infection (**** everyone else though, right?). That anyone who's at-risk should just not leave their house and that if they do, and happen to get sick by someone like themselves infecting them, well it was their own choice to put themselves at risk by leaving the house and if they wanted to stay alive they should have kept themselves safer.
To be quite honest I did not listen to the PM or the AMA or public health advise but I did listen to my treating physician (GP) throughout this pandemic who is fully qualified and understands my health needs, after his recommendation I decided I will take the risk of the AZ shot for my own health.
Do understand this "I do believe in self preservation which is human instinct"
Do you still consider me selfish?

Cheers
2 users like this post:
Old 30-06-2021, 08:23 PM   #11866
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR-351 View Post
'I do not want under-40s to get AstraZeneca', Queensland Chief Health Officer says
Jeanette Young makes her position clear:

No, I do not want under-40s to get AstraZeneca.

Reporter:

Why?

Dr Young:

Because they are at increased risk of getting - it is rare, but they are at increased risk of getting the rare clotting syndrome. We've seen up to 49 deaths in the UK from that syndrome.

I don't want an 18-year-old in Queensland dying from a clotting illness who, if they got COVID probably wouldn't die. We've had very few deaths due to COVID-19 in Australia in people under the age of 50, and wouldn't it be terrible that our first 18-year-old in Queensland to who dies related to this pandemic died because of the vaccine?

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-...ost-1201814742
This is one example politics and CHO's who are all contradicting each other from state to state politics with the feds with so called expert advise; no wonder the average Australian is confused and p****d off with these scenarios being played out to the public.

Who do we believe?

Last edited by Itsme; 30-06-2021 at 08:29 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 30-06-2021, 09:04 PM   #11867
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Officemanager View Post
This is one example politics and CHO's who are all contradicting each other from state to state politics with the feds with so called expert advise; no wonder the average Australian is confused and p****d off with these scenarios being played out to the public.

Who do we believe?
Simple. Believe the people that will have to deal with and/or manage any fall out.

Rides (past and present)

Old 30-06-2021, 10:27 PM   #11868
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
That's because you're selfish. I'm not saying that to insult you, just to describe the behaviour of being concerned for yourself and not of others.
Yep. But until you know me, how old I am, what Hospitalisations I've had, what my lifestyle is I'd suggest you keep your comments your yourself!
Old 30-06-2021, 10:32 PM   #11869
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
the federal government are withholding pfizer.
I trust you have a link for this?
Old 30-06-2021, 10:51 PM   #11870
Charliewool
Bolt Nerd
Donating Member3

When was Australia’s last Covid death?
2 wheels.. 2015 103ci HD Wideglide.. SOLD
SOLD THE LOT, Voted with our feet and relocated to COSTA RICA for some Pura Vida!
(Ex Blood Orange #023 FPV Pursuit owner : )
Old 30-06-2021, 11:17 PM   #11871
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
When was Australia’s last Covid death?
From what i can work out it was an 80-year-old man in Queensland on the 13/04/21, i believe he makes 910 total so far.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/co...2-9eb94231fc33

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...h-deaths-daily

Old 01-07-2021, 12:23 AM   #11872
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Yep. But until you know me, how old I am, what Hospitalisations I've had, what my lifestyle is I'd suggest you keep your comments your yourself!
Then maybe don't respond to my comments if you don't want a reply in turn? Why engage in conversation with me if it's a sensitive topic for you? What is it you were otherwise expecting me to say?
It was the "for me and that's it" that pushed your stance from self-preservation to '****-you-got-mine'. Is it really so bad to also think about the effect your choices have on other people as well as yourself?

Old 01-07-2021, 12:39 AM   #11873
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
I trust you have a link for this?
It was in QLD's live announcement this morning. QLD have requested more supply to be released from the federal government stash and the request was declined. Qld gov asking for a reason as to why it was declined.

Quote:
Ms D'Ath said the Director-General of Health asked the federal government for an additional 152,100 doses – or an extra 130 trays – of the Pfizer vaccine yesterday.
Ms D'Ath said the state was notified this morning that the federal government would not provide additional Pfizer supplies. "We weren't offered less than what we asked for — we have been denied any extra vaccines," she said.
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-06-...land/100255146

Last edited by leesa; 01-07-2021 at 12:48 AM.

Old 01-07-2021, 01:05 AM   #11874
oldel
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
Another shift on AZ. As far as I was aware it was always possible to get AZ where not recommended so long as the benefit outweighed the risk based on an individuals circumstances.
No it wasn't, because the benefit never outweighed the risk as we were practically covid free. That's the jam we're in, it's why we stopped using AZ in younger people - but UK used it because they had rampant spread they needed to control at high cost. But we didn't, so we never qualified for "benefits outweighing the risk."

The state run mass vax centres did not have adequate GP consultations so they always deferred advice to ATAGI recommendations, ie wouldn't give AZ to younger than recommended.

The federal roll out is via GPs who you could talk to, but it wasn't until now that the fed gov would indemnify them going against ATAGI's best practice of only using AZ for older people.
Because the fed gov wants more people vaxxed but only have AZ to offer they're fine with a GPs asking "you sure? (don't care, I'm covered now)" and patient saying "yeah, hope these lockdowns end FFS and I can go on holidays overseas"
E: anyway, scomo pushing it now is clearly just political. Wants everyone vaxxed no matter the cost to the unlucky that get clots. Probably only so he can import cheap labourers anyway.

Last edited by oldel; 01-07-2021 at 01:17 AM.
Old 01-07-2021, 06:53 AM   #11875
Trevor 57
is now there

The last COVID related death was 28th of October 2020. This Delta variant might transmit easier, but is it killing people? hmmmmmm, why the panic?
Old 01-07-2021, 07:16 AM   #11876
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

If it gets into the aged sector and indigenous communities it will kill just as well as the original strain...
Old 01-07-2021, 07:39 AM   #11877
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
The last COVID related death was 28th of October 2020. This Delta variant might transmit easier, but is it killing people? hmmmmmm, why the panic?
Not according to the links i provided above..........

Old 01-07-2021, 07:42 AM   #11878
Trevor 57
is now there

so it is killing Australians and no-one is telling us?

Sorry I did miss that one, so one death of an unwell 80 year old (which is very sad for their family), but seriously . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Don't people think that there is a little over-reaction going on? Are we that scared that we have stopped challenging politicians

and I am yet to get an answer to my question 'died of' or 'died with'?
Old 01-07-2021, 07:50 AM   #11879
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

Quote:
so it is killing Australians and no-one is telling us?

Sorry I did miss that one, so one death of an unwell 80 year old (which is very sad for their family), but seriously . . . . . . . . . . . . .

Don't people think that there is a little over-reaction going on? Are we that scared that we have stopped challenging politicians
Dunno, just providing a service, but as far a challenging politicians go, that should never end and needs to be a part of there daily existence and job description.....

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-04-...ines/100059930

Old 01-07-2021, 07:54 AM   #11880
Trevor 57
is now there

even some of the medical professionals are starting to contradict each other

What hope to we have of getting the REAL truth

I am not and I repeat NOT a conspiracy theorist, but I am starting to have some doubts about the garbage being fed to us

You have to wonder when you see stuff like this - https://caldronpool.com/covid-19-the...ters-bookcase/
Quote:
“This is the purpose of the book: to shake up and to show the deficiencies which were manifest in our global system, even before COVID broke out,”
Quote:
In recent weeks, a number of world leaders have echoed Schwab’s sentiments. Canadian Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said the “pandemic has provided an opportunity for a reset.” UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson said the pandemic will be used to trigger an “acceleration of social and economic change.” While Prince Charles described the pandemic as a “golden opportunity” to “reset ourselves.”
Closed Thread