Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 14-05-2012, 09:10 PM   #1
brydie76
Moff-fan

Default WS Fiesta- kangaroo-ing

Hi all,

As the title says, my Fezza is playing up a bit. I start it up, reverse it out, drive a bit and then stop. I then go to drive off, and it starts jumping like crazy- goes from no acceleration to a ton, then to none, then goes off like a rocket at 4,000 rpm. As it often happens turning out of a T intersection, it is not an ideal time for it to occur- especially when I take a fairly tight spot to turn (eek!)

Any ideas on what is happening? Seems to happen when engine is cold, and outside temp is chilly too. Not sure about other times, but today I didn't have much fuel left. The engine is the 1.6 Duratech paired with a manual.

Thanks in advance!! : )

(yes, I did post this on another forum too in case people frequent that one. I tend to be impatient and you guys will probably have a better specific knowledge of Fezzas)

Now rocking a 2012 Suzuki Swift Sport!
brydie76 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2012, 10:46 PM   #2
vhcbm
having Fiesta withdrawals

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Ford couldn't fix my BlueTooth issue. This member posted a download link, with instruction, on how to do it myself. One week on, the unit hasn't played up once. Three different dealers told me to virtually 'Live with it. 
Default Re: WS Fiesta- kangaroo-ing

Common issue, most call it the "cold start issue" there is a bit on here in the ECU update thread. Supposedly an update fixes it which the dealer will do for you for free (well they're supposed to).

Ways to try an avoid it is leave the key in the stage where the lights come on the dash ... leave it here for about 3 seconds or till a few of them go out before starting and then let it idle for 20 seconds. I've also heard of cases where changing the spark plug leads also fixes it however try the ECU update first.

Past: 2009 Ford Fiesta LX in Vision Blue - Sold
vhcbm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-05-2012, 11:01 PM   #3
Fez WQ

Yep mine does it also a common problem, just let it warm up a little. There is no real fix for it as yet. But the best fix at present islet it warm up a little first. Its a bit annoying, it only does it when the engine is cold. I find the best trick is to turn the car to were all the dash lights come on then wait a few seconds then start it.
Fez WQ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2012, 07:42 PM   #4
GoesLikeAZetec
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

we havent tried to have it fixed yet, but agree with the others... only takes 25sec of letting it idle and it wont bunny hop....

thats of course if its happening on cold morning starts.. if it's doing it once its warmed up, it might be something different
GoesLikeAZetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2012, 09:12 PM   #5
brydie76
Moff-fan

It is cold starts only at this point, often when I do jump in, turn the key and head straight off.

Decided to try the let it sit option today, no issues noted (although I will give it a few weeks before declaring it a solution). Watched the revs as well when she started up. Think I need the ECU update- regardless of the temp (one start up was at 7 degrees, the other at 17), revs sat at about 1100-1200 on idle. For the first 10 secs of idling as well, the revs would occasionally fluctuate by 100-200rpm, which I found a bit odd. Oh well, will see if I can duck in one evening and get the update applied (bit annoying at the moment, working about 45 mins away from the dealer as opposed to the usual 5 mins...)

Old 15-05-2012, 11:08 PM   #6
vhcbm
having Fiesta withdrawals

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Ford couldn't fix my BlueTooth issue. This member posted a download link, with instruction, on how to do it myself. One week on, the unit hasn't played up once. Three different dealers told me to virtually 'Live with it. 

yea mine jumps 100rpm every now and then as well, seems to just be it trying to warm itself up. let us know how you go getting the update.

Past: 2009 Ford Fiesta LX in Vision Blue - Sold
vhcbm is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2012, 08:41 PM   #7
brydie76
Moff-fan

Ok- took it in, and understandably they couldn't do much without actually experiencing the problem. They said they would hook it up, run diagnostics and apply any updates. Got her back, they said they applied an update (pcm one per the sheet I got?). Only thing is, I know how to do that diagnostics mode thing on my car. A few months ago I took a photo of one of the codes that I thought was my ECU revision- RCAO. Did it again tonight when I got home- same code popped up. Have I been taken for a ride or is this the wrong code/something I won't pick up in diagnostics?

Old 17-05-2012, 10:47 AM   #8
Fiesta_Man69
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by brydie76
Have I been taken for a ride?
I'm astounded that brydie of all people would ever consider that they had been taken for a ride by a Ford dealership.....

But seriously, yes, I'm aware that a PCM update exists for a 'cold start' problem - indeed it was applied to mine (even tho it didn't that issue) but here's the rub: the Fiesta was designed an engineered in Germany, it underwent extensive cold weather testing in Europe and sells thousands of units in Europe every year. How can there be a 'cold start' issue, especially when Aussie winters are comparitively mild? And as several people have stated, their cars have this problem.

So it affects Aussie Fezs but not European? (And yes I'm talking about Germay made WS here too, not the Thai WTs)

It seems thres a different tune for Aussie cars, and a tune that isn't working all that well, based on Aussie Fezs owners that actually frequent this site and have reported problems...

If only we could buy the (European tuning house) Superchips ECU tune from Ford Aus - 110kW without touching a thing.... (and I bet no stalling or running lean too).

Leaving it to idle for a minute every morning adds up over a whole year, if you think about it..... 6 hours in fact, if you drive every day...
Fiesta_Man69 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2012, 01:48 PM   #9
LeadFoot81
_Oo===oO_

The Mrs and and I both have WS Zetecs (one auto and one manual) and neither of us has experienced this problem in the time we've owned them.

Hope you get yours sorted Brydie.
LeadFoot81 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-05-2012, 07:37 PM   #10
brydie76
Moff-fan

Thanks leadfoot, I didn't have time to check it this morning to see if it was idling higher, but it didn't jump when I drove off. So hopefully it will be "fixed".

Worst case scenario, I will leave the car at the dealer until it shows the symptoms. Only problem is that it doesn't do it consistently- it will sometimes not do it for weeks, and others will do it 3 times over 2 days!

And worst case beyond that, I'm driving to the central coast/cessnock to get one of those dealers to have a look. Maybe a little dealership may be more willing to have a dig around for the problem- the Cessnock one is where my parents bought my last car (17years ago!) so we have a relationship with that dealer. Thinking of going there for services anyway...

Old 29-04-2013, 04:00 PM   #11
Hulsty

Anymore on this issue? Our 2010 model still does this. Only started happening after a software update in 2012.
Hulsty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-04-2013, 09:13 PM   #12
Fiesta God
Ford Fiesta

Easy fix. Start the car. Sit there for 30 seconds. Then drive off. It shouldn't happen.

Easy fix #2. Start the car. Take off in first and give the car extra revs. Change gears into second and give the car extra revs than normal. It shouldn't happen.

Just a quirk of the car, mine has only done it maybe 2-3 times but I always let the car idle for 20 seconds or so before driving off.
Old 01-05-2013, 04:02 PM   #13
Ms_Jam

In what follows, please bear in mind that other contributors to this forum will probably know more than me.

But I had this problem - the engine cutting out soon after starting - after a service. Friends suggested that I should give it the Italian tune-up (pedal to the metal), but I didn't take their advice. I just doubted that the problem was in the fuel line. The Fiesta hardly ever is driven off main roads; and I use BP Ultimate 98 all the time, which I would hope is cleaner than some other options, and in addition it is said to have a good detergent in it anyway.

All I did was just let it idle a little longer than usual, and the problem went away.

For what it is worth, I suspect the problem had something to do with the car's computer. It is supposed to learning all the time, and maybe it had to relearn things after an adjustment was made. Pure speculation, of course.

But I have also noticed that after a country drive of a few hours (with some freeway and a few big hills), the engine purrs noticeably more happily. I guess that could be because it has burned up some rubbish inside, but I have not noticed this improvement with older vehicles. So again, I wonder whether the computer is responsible, doing its homework so to speak.
Ms_Jam is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post