Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 27-04-2015, 02:37 PM   #241
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 
Default Re: My FGX XR8 denied warranty

Quote:
any of the wheels/motor test cars, plenty of photos and videos of them being pushed on a drag strip an race track
They are still owned by Ford so no doubt they fix them and send them off again. They doubtless consider any damage and attrition from magazine road testing part of their marketing costs.
Old 27-04-2015, 02:45 PM   #242
JG33

Quote:
Originally Posted by F6 Concorde View Post

I'm surprised at the number of Ford apologists in this forum. A guy uses his car in a lawful manner, the vehicle incurs a manufacturing defect later on, Ford attempt to deny warranty, and some of you are backing Ford. What a strange bunch......
No apologists here, we just understand how a new car warranty works.

When you buy a new car from any manufacturer, you have to follow their terms in order to get warranty repairs. Don't like it? Don't buy a new car....simple.
This user likes this post:
Old 27-04-2015, 03:20 PM   #243
Grechie
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Will a dyno power run void the warranty? For example a dyno day, with 3 power runs?
Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 - 255/35/19 - 275/35/19
Shockworks Coilovers
PITLANE AUTOMOTIVE & PERFORMANCE
Old 27-04-2015, 03:27 PM   #244
kazawaki
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buttnekid View Post
Stop focussing on the Ford contractual warranty and start focusing on the consumer guarantees in the Australian Consumer Law.

In my opinion, if Ford have advertised a quarter mile time for the XR8 then the implication in that representation is it is within normal use to go to the drag strip. Woop *** Wednesday or the equivalent around Australia is not competitive Motorsport.
Yep this is his only hope, I contacted ford 3 times went to 3 different dealers and no joy,different issue but mine is now going down that path and they had better be ready because I will be,stat decs and paid witnesses if needed I intend to get my point across, from peole who know about fit for purpose in regards to paint and decals.
Old 27-04-2015, 03:48 PM   #245
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG33 View Post
No apologists here, we just understand how a new car warranty works.

When you buy a new car from any manufacturer, you have to follow their terms in order to get warranty repairs. Don't like it? Don't buy a new car....simple.
To be frank I don't care what the manufacturers warranty stipulates, the product has to be fit for purpose and comply with consumer laws.

The 3 differential replacements in my 2013 GT are sufficient evidence in my experience, irregardless of the position of the dealer or manufacturer.
Old 27-04-2015, 03:51 PM   #246
nuthin' fancy
Lyminge, Shepway, Kent
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlivverFord View Post
Well imo if Ford took a stock one down the 1/4 mile strip, it could well be considered normal usage if the public does it!
Warranty is insurance.

The frst job any insurance company takes on is to say "No".

I'm not saying it is right, it is just what happens.

Sometimes you have to push to get the other side to come around.

Personally, I would have more mechanical sympathy for my new car than the OP.

"Comedy is when you fall into an open sewer and die, tragedy is when I get a paper cut"
2 users like this post:
Old 27-04-2015, 04:01 PM   #247
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuthin' fancy View Post
Warranty is insurance.

The frst job any insurance company takes on is to say "No".

I'm not saying it is right, it is just what happens.

Sometimes you have to push to get the other side to come around.

Personally, I would have more mechanical sympathy for my new car than the OP.
An insurer engages actuaries to plot out what risks expose them to most damages, and the likelihood of such risks crystalizing, and then once identified the lawyers draw exclusion clauses to exclude them.

Insurance is a contract between the Insurer and the Insured.

A warranty by a manufacturer is another beast...but I take you point- probably still have actuaries studying what has been most costly repairs and what is biggest risks- ie motorsport, modifications - this should come as no surprise to us.

The exclusion "misuse" to me is the very wide doorway that provides wriggle room, and I hope is only applied in good faith by Ford.

The fit for purpose obligation is contractual, that is implied into the contract of sale between the purchaser and the seller of the vehicle.

Surprised I have not heard more from HULK on this thread.....

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
Old 27-04-2015, 04:19 PM   #248
xisled
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Interested int he outcome of this one.
Old 27-04-2015, 04:33 PM   #249
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Anyone else remember the great wailing and nashing of teeth from the marketing regulation mob which quickly pulled the TV advert for the all-wheel-drive Magna (a car which could have been so much more) purely because it showed it being driven in an apparent "drag race" away from a standing start on a loose dirt road against a Commodore and Falcon, showing the benefits of AWD in such conditions...?

It was claimed it would "encourage racing" or "hooning". So the advert died after a very brief run.

You simply cannot advertise cars now that show them being driven in anything approaching "spirited" driving, and you definitely cannot show them being used in a way that would imply they're suitable for race or competition use.
That's just the way it is. Just be thankful they started telling you what the power output was again...there was a time only a couple of decades back when they stopped advertising it (a little like Rolls Royce). Look in old car mags and the list of cars for sale in Australia and they will have all the other specs...engine size, capacity, fuel consumption...but nowhere will you see power output openly stated "officially".

Here's the advert...it clearly shows the advantages of AWD, it shows the safety aspects of AWD, describes how the system works, it's just a "good" car ad.

But it shows cars being driven as if a race is going on...so the advert died a quick and nasty death...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FCpVZB898eI
Old 27-04-2015, 04:33 PM   #250
FG50T
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OP I challenge you to find every FPV or Ford owner who owns or has owned a media/press car that was used in magazine reviews in the past 10 years and find out if they ever had a warranty repair done. I think that will win your case against Ford.

Also I would have just instantly tried another dealer. Some aren't punks and are happy to do warranty work.
Old 27-04-2015, 04:40 PM   #251
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grunter View Post
I hope Ford change the drive modes on the upcoming Mustang.

Maybe it should be "normal”, “snow/wet”, “sport”, and "shopping".
Probably why we will never see drift mode in the upcoming Focus RS. Partly due to laws here and maybe partly due to the fact ford dont wanna warrant it if it fails when i wanna pretend im Ken Block
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
3 users like this post:
Old 27-04-2015, 04:50 PM   #252
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

Ford apologists is a bit harsh, I think some are just inclined to step back and take a birds eye view here and not jump to conclusions.

A whole lotta Ford kicking here, well the LS1 boys have a whole lotta HSV kicking too, check out LS1. Same stuff. Drivers head out while they know the warranty provisions and use their cars as they believe they should be able to. And are denied claims down the track. As has been said on LS1 Holden are even famous for having video'ed drag days in the past and used it later.

Kempy this thread is weaving back and forth with a lot of emotion, with many heading straight for Ford's throat but a lot based on limited real facts. It definitely sounds like your dealer jumped in some place and did stuff all to ascertain the cause of the failure. Until that cause is known, you don't have a lot to go to bat with to challenge anything. Removing the belt and 'oh look no noise' is pretty damn poor. If proven to be a manufacturing fault or otherwise, you have a whole lot more leg to stand on. Otherwise it's like shooting skeet with a blindfold. Also please clarify and i think the answer is no but the waters have just been murkied, was the car tuned?

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
Old 27-04-2015, 05:03 PM   #253
WHYME
Next up?

So.. I still don't get why Ford/Holden bothered to make a performance division, advertise these cars by quoting fast 1/4 and 0-100 times and then pull out if they find out you're using these vehicles the way they were built and meant to be used. That's pretty messed up I reckon. Let's be perfectly honest Ford, who here in their right mind buys a Supercharged 335 Coyote enhanced vehicle and then proceeds to drive it like miss daisy 100% of the time and never takes it down to the track? Hell, FPV even offered drive days for goodness sake.

To me it's pretty messed up and it does boil my blood a little when I read stories like this. It's like me buying a new TV, and the manufacturer states in the warranty manual that you're not covered if you use the TV to watch movies. What's the point of buying it then?! The XR8 has a supercharger for a reason boys

2 users like this post:
Old 27-04-2015, 05:06 PM   #254
kazawaki
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG50T View Post
OP I challenge you to find every FPV or Ford owner who owns or has owned a media/press car that was used in magazine reviews in the past 10 years and find out if they ever had a warranty repair done. I think that will win your case against Ford.

Also I would have just instantly tried another dealer. Some aren't punks and are happy to do warranty work.
Yep the dealer I bought my Pursuit from did nothing ,except waste my time,hopefully you find a helpful one.
Old 27-04-2015, 05:34 PM   #255
JG33

Quote:
To be frank I don't care what the manufacturers warranty stipulates, the product has to be fit for purpose and comply with consumer laws.
Yes they do need to comply with consumer laws, but the law favours the consumer to a certain extent. If the OP drove the car on normal streets there would be no argument the manufacturer should repair it, but when he uses it on a drag strip....well that makes things more difficult. As Ford states the warranty will not cover a vehicle used in any motorsports.

Quote:

The 3 differential replacements in my 2013 GT are sufficient evidence in my experience, irregardless of the position of the dealer or manufacturer.
Did they replaced them because you did burnouts, drifting, drag raced, rallying or any other motorsports?
Old 27-04-2015, 05:48 PM   #256
DK30RB

I don't think this is just an isolated issue with the OP's FGX XR8. Lets face it i bet most people here have had a warranty claim denied or argued by Ford on any Falcon.

I know in the last 20 years owning, 8 new falcons, (amongst many other brands) pretty much all of them had warranty issues denied, but were fixed after some "Discussions". Its just the way Ford run their service department.

Everything is either "They all do that" or "Denied". If you push the point they will have no choice but to fix the car.

This is coming from someone who has had 2 vehicles from 2 different manufacturers in the last 10 years replaced with a complete new vehicle under warranty.

My advise (from experience) - go after the dealer. Your transaction is with them, you paid for a new vehicle with warranty. They are obligated to provide that warranty, then claim their costs from Ford.
Old 27-04-2015, 06:17 PM   #257
Elks
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fully6 View Post
So.. I still don't get why Ford/Holden bothered to make a performance division, advertise these cars by quoting fast 1/4 and 0-100 times and then pull out if they find out you're using these vehicles the way they were built and meant to be used.
Actually Ford do not advertise or even publish 0-100 or 400m times.
Old 27-04-2015, 06:22 PM   #258
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG50T View Post

Surely anyone who bought said cars would have been smart enought to ask the questions regarding warranties... And again when these cars are given out to reviewers they are Fords cars! If they break they pay for them to be fixed!
Old 27-04-2015, 06:29 PM   #259
GTP534
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thought it best to delete.
Old 27-04-2015, 06:32 PM   #260
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
I still think the Ford warranty clause that voids all claims is Page 16 Clause 2 of Ford's warranty terms and conditions
I haven't been able to find that in what I believe to be the current new car warranty,
Can you point me in the right direction please.

Last edited by 2242100; 27-04-2015 at 06:40 PM.
Old 27-04-2015, 06:59 PM   #261
kempy311
BEN

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew View Post
Ford apologists is a bit harsh, I think some are just inclined to step back and take a birds eye view here and not jump to conclusions.

A whole lotta Ford kicking here, well the LS1 boys have a whole lotta HSV kicking too, check out LS1. Same stuff. Drivers head out while they know the warranty provisions and use their cars as they believe they should be able to. And are denied claims down the track. As has been said on LS1 Holden are even famous for having video'ed drag days in the past and used it later.

Kempy this thread is weaving back and forth with a lot of emotion, with many heading straight for Ford's throat but a lot based on limited real facts. It definitely sounds like your dealer jumped in some place and did stuff all to ascertain the cause of the failure. Until that cause is known, you don't have a lot to go to bat with to challenge anything. Removing the belt and 'oh look no noise' is pretty damn poor. If proven to be a manufacturing fault or otherwise, you have a whole lot more leg to stand on. Otherwise it's like shooting skeet with a blindfold. Also please clarify and i think the answer is no but the waters have just been murkied, was the car tuned?
No tune
My Thread. The new whip: 2014 FGX XR8 Auto in victory gold. Mods : BMC air filter, 1500cc injectors, Walbro 485, 58mm kpm snout, kpm intercooler, 35% front and 20% rear tint, pedders supercar coilovers, whiteline sway bars, Phillips HIDs, lenso d1r wheels.
331rwkw.
12.7 sec stock as a rock with a passenger.
Now with 620rwhp ready to run the 10

built zf, built tailshaft, corn juice all to come.

The old rig: 2008 FG XR8 Auto in dash green with a tonne of mods to make 311rwkw.
2 users like this post:
Old 27-04-2015, 07:10 PM   #262
Brazen
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by kempy311 View Post
No tune
Why was BarraXR8 saying there was one?
Old 27-04-2015, 07:15 PM   #263
lucas2
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebv8 View Post
also if you defame ford in anyway they will use this against you if you try and take anything through the courts, you might get a nasty letter from a lawyer anyway.
Generally corporations cannot sue for defamation
Old 27-04-2015, 07:15 PM   #264
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
No tune
Your case is against the entity you purchased the vehicle from.

I refer you to my post 51, para2.

You will need to obtain that expert engineering advice, and sue the seller for breaching contract by supplying you a vehicle not fit for purpose.

Expert fees will be some $4,000 plus/minus. Your legal fees including barrister costs will be some $12,000 to $18,000.

If you run in a court and loose you will be up for other sides costs.

Depending on where you are, you may be able to use a Tribunal (NSW-NCAT), or a Local Court small claims, which sometimes disallows lawyers and therefore minimises your exposure to an adverse costs order. You will still need that expert report, and you should still engage a competent litigation lawyer who specialises in product liability cases to advise you on what Application to file, evidence to file, and assist you in getting the qualified expert report.

Good luck and I will now step out of all this- I should be working on my mining case anyway- but given I am due to receive my XR8 in 2 weeks I cannot help but sneak a look at this now and again.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
4 users like this post:
Old 27-04-2015, 07:30 PM   #265
99AUXR
Brad

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Installing starter motor advice on ba / bf 6cyc Falcon. 

Quote:
No tune
Beaten, above post.
Old 27-04-2015, 07:31 PM   #266
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JG33 View Post
Did they replaced them because you did burnouts, drifting, drag raced, rallying or any other motorsports?
They did ask. I told them I availed myself to the performance capability of the vehicle and left it at that.
Old 27-04-2015, 07:34 PM   #267
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I honestly do feel for the OP as this is a terrible position to be placed in having spent ~60k on a vehicle.

Unfortunately the vehicle manufacturers all have the same clause in their warranty statement about motorsport usage.

Unfortunately in this situation Ford Australia have decided to utilize this clause and deny warranty provision for the supercharger failure - whether it be due to the vehicle going to the drags or not.

This whole situation places Ford in a very precarious position, if they were to overturn their ruling it would them set a precedent that others would likely try to utilize, but on the flip side (based on what I'm seeing here) it is having a very negative public effect towards Ford.
Old 27-04-2015, 07:34 PM   #268
WILDB
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Accidental double post.
Old 27-04-2015, 07:48 PM   #269
2011G6E
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PepeLePew View Post
Also please clarify and i think the answer is no but the waters have just been murkied, was the car tuned?
Tuned? Pertinent question which could address some other questions. Modifying is something a lot of people do but forget it can tear up your warranty.
Old 27-04-2015, 08:17 PM   #270
kazawaki
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDB View Post
I honestly do feel for the OP as this is a terrible position to be placed in having spent ~60k on a vehicle.

Unfortunately the vehicle manufacturers all have the same clause in their warranty statement about motorsport usage.

Unfortunately in this situation Ford Australia have decided to utilize this clause and deny warranty provision for the supercharger failure - whether it be due to the vehicle going to the drags or not.

This whole situation places Ford in a very precarious position, if they were to overturn their ruling it would them set a precedent that others would likely try to utilize, but on the flip side (based on what I'm seeing here) it is having a very negative public effect towards Ford.
Big companys are very slow to react as far as consumer anger is concerned.By the time they realize that there losing business it is already to late and there customers current and future have already gone and will not return.I have a Thing called a Black ban list once some one screws me over there on that list and I NEVER NEVER NEVER recommend or purchase stuff from them again.
Closed Thread