Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 20-10-2005, 04:15 PM   #1
ben131185

Default LOWERING suspension

I measured up the height of the lowest point of my auI forte the other day to find that my muffler sits about 130mm above the ground. I heard low springs lower the car 30mm, super low 50-60mm and ultra low 75mm. So that makes anything below low illegal, but it seems to me that 30mm wouldnt make it look all that much better. would ultra low and attract too many cops? and how would it go over speed humps and driveways etc?
considering legal issues, speed humps and looks which height would be preferable?

ben131185 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2005, 04:29 PM   #2
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

Super lows seems to be the consensus for a nice "drivable" height. I am only going "lows" on my ute ... cos i need to get into the odd steep driveways and loading docks easily ... but that's the work ute though.

Get the wheels you want first and then lower the car ... you can gauge what the height will be after the new wheels go on.
Mechan1k is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2005, 07:30 PM   #3
romaniac
holla at cha boy

where is a good place to get my car lowered in melbourne? Also how much is an estimate figure using king spring super lows?
romaniac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-10-2005, 11:34 PM   #4
HLC
Audi S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by romaniac
where is a good place to get my car lowered in melbourne? Also how much is an estimate figure using king spring super lows?
we have exactly the same car, with exactly the same mods in mind. we are awesome!
Old 21-10-2005, 01:58 AM   #5
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by romaniac
The springs are about $130 a pair, so that's $260, plus about 3 hours labour (approx $300), plus wheel alignment. If you want/need a camber/caster kit, add another $300. Pedders is as good as any place. Or just try walking with your fingers (yellow pages, or www.yellowpages.com.au)
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2005, 04:20 AM   #6
xr6 ausome
Low au

Give Vinne at Dandy exhust a call
Old 21-10-2005, 10:59 AM   #7
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Brings a wealth of knowledge to the forums and is frequently giving helpful advice. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical information. 

I got most of my stuff from Pedders recently ... very haelpful indeed and pricing wasn't too bad either.

All up it was $800 ... but that includes heavy duty front coils ... front gas shocks ... NEW lower heavy duty rear leaf springs with stronger 2nd stage. Now it get it all installed ... they even pushed the new bushes into the eyelets on the rear leaf springs for me as well.

Not all Pedders places are the same ... but if you know of a good one ... use them. I've never had a problem with them.
Old 21-10-2005, 11:04 AM   #8
ctoafn
Starter Motor

Where'd ya get that done cause I got quoted $720 to lower my auIII xr8 without any shocks - springs only which I thought was quite steep.
ctoafn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-10-2005, 11:28 AM   #9
Mechan1k
Donating Member1

Pedders in Liverpool
Old 22-10-2005, 07:38 AM   #10
lv619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben131185
would ultra low and attract too many cops? and how would it go over speed humps and driveways etc?
considering legal issues, speed humps and looks which height would be preferable?
1. Last time i was pulled over the cops they didnt even mention how low my car was, so i guess it depends on who pulls u over and how anal they are.
2. Carefully.
3. The lower the better for me, but it depends on your situation i guess.

You also may want to look at insurance issues too.
Old 22-10-2005, 06:13 PM   #11
romaniac
holla at cha boy

got a price for 380 for king spring super lows fitted. Have to wait until bodykit is fitted first though to see how low i need to go.
romaniac is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2005, 07:34 PM   #12
buickman
buickman

Quote:
Originally Posted by ben131185
I measured up the height of the lowest point of my auI forte the other day to find that my muffler sits about 130mm above the ground. I heard low springs lower the car 30mm, super low 50-60mm and ultra low 75mm. So that makes anything below low illegal, but it seems to me that 30mm wouldnt make it look all that much better. would ultra low and attract too many cops? and how would it go over speed humps and driveways etc?
I have the kings S/L on my AU & would not go lower for street use. It sometimes scrappes the IRS craddle, cat & front plastic underneath cover over big humps. Do the job yourself its easy & get a good front end alignment after.

buickman
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 22-10-2005, 07:44 PM   #13
justa6
justa6

make sure it's low, you'll regret it in a few months if it's not
justa6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-10-2005, 10:47 AM   #14
FRIKA
FRIKA

agree with silverxr. I was lucky that i changed my mind within a few weeks and they swapped mine over for nothing. SSL front & Rear. No probs with scraping yet and i have a 3" exhaust.
Old 25-10-2005, 03:21 PM   #15
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

i want to get my car lowered this weekend, maybe just an inch all round, what springs would i go?
I also think that i might need new bushes, i think thats what they are called..
when i hit a bump there is a noise that sounds like a loose washer somewhere near the springs..

would you reckon a camber kit would be a good thing, or is that more of a **** factor and not really needed?

is anyone going to be working this weekend???????
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-10-2005, 10:34 PM   #16
JC
Miami Pilot
Donating Member2

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Lows will drop your car an inch all round. You only need a camber kit for wheel alignment purposes, and only if there is no adjustment left in the original camber/caster adjustment nuts. If you are only going an inch lower, I doubt you will need a camber kit.

As for bushes, bumps & noises - no idea what could be causing that. Well I do, but it could be anything. Tie rod ends, ball joints, loose shock mounting nuts, loose wishbne nuts, worn shocks, etc.
Mods: Tune, HSD/ShockWorks, black GT335 19” staggered replicas with 245 & 275/35/19 Michelin Pilot sport 5s

Daily: BF2 Fairmont Ghia I6 ZF, machine face GT335 19” staggered Replicas with 245s and 275s, Bilsteins & Kings

FPV 335 build stats: <click here>

Ford Performance Club ACT
JC is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post