Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > Ford Coupe Club of Australia > Coupe Restoration & Build

Old 27-11-2010, 04:41 PM   #211
MEANXBCOUPE
injection is nice, but...

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing the Helicoil article 

^^^^
Make a wild assumption either you or your dad own the FG GT with GT4ME plates!

Limetime Green '74 XB Coupe- Classic not Plastic.

Blueprint '02 Pursuit 250- Plastic not Classic (yet)

Venom '01 AUII Rebel- RIP. Gone to a better place.

Winter White '12 FG GT 335 R-Spec - something the wife thrashes daily

'05 CRF450X- For getting dirty in the, um, dirt.
MEANXBCOUPE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2010, 04:54 PM   #212
EF
Formerly gt.4.me

Hahaha yes that's my mums car my dad drives the black ranger with 22s on it hahahha it's a small world
EF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2010, 05:06 PM   #213
MRFGXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech article(s) 

Saw you car at the 2010 Eastern Creek all Ford Day. Exceptional coupe, a very neat and clean car. Have some pics of it very nice indeed. Hope all the red tape finally works out and you get that beast on the road.

6/6/16 build 2017 plate Race red mustang gt with white solid stripes, tint, x-force exhaust, rear spoiler, 35mm lowered Votgland springs

MRFGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2010, 10:05 AM   #214
Uncle Raggy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for posting up the nightmare that you are going through to register the coupe. I hear what you are saying about the inspector. When I bought my coupe it was on Canberra rego, so I had to take it to the RTA and have someone verify chassis and engine numbers before they would give NSW rego. Had a great bloke, nothing was too much trouble for him. When it came to the engine number it was hidden behind the the air conditioning compressor. He sais "No worries, I'll grab my mirrors". Got in there and had the number in no time......NSW rego done in less than half an hour

So years go by and I pull out the original 302 and drop in the 351. Take it to RTA to get the number changed. Same car, same RTA, but different inspector. Ended up with a cranky old bugger that wasn't at all interested in doing the engine number change. Told me he couldn't see the engine number, and that I'd have to pull the compressor out so he could see the numbers on the block clearly. Wasn't interested in my story about the first guy doing it with mirrors... Worst part was I'd spent ages painting the engine bay, engine etc. Had it all nice and tidy, then this tool said I had to pull it all apart in front of him...BUT he said I had a choice, do it then and there or get the car towed home! He said if I even attempted to drive out to take the car home he'd call the cops on suspicion of a stolen motor.....

So, here I am at the RTA. No tools to do the job, and not allowed to drive home to do it. I was lucky there was a servo with a mechanic near by, so I walked down and borrowed some tools from them. Mechanic even offered to come up and do it for me, just so he could check out the coupe! End result, close to 6 hours compared to less than half an hour the first time

Long story I know, so just tell me to shut the hell up

Anyhoo, back to you Gaz!!!!
Uncle Raggy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2010, 10:45 AM   #215
XRJames
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Raggy thats about what we expect from shiny bum ****** that think they are special because they have what they conceive as power.
Most of these guys are hen pecked loosers, why they make life so hard is beyond me.

Good luck with the Coupe , if they keep giving you grief, register it in Vic and give my address, i will forward it each year to ya.

cheers James
XRJames is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2010, 03:12 PM   #216
MEANXBCOUPE

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing the Helicoil article 

yeah, well i did say Id make a very long story short, so i left out a few other requirements. Ive got the same engine number issue, though there is no AC compressor to get in the way. He has made it a requirement on the paper work that all paint is stripped from the engine number area, even if it is very clear to see. i'll cut the area with a razor and peel as much as i can, but it may require some paintstipper, 2pack paint is hard to remove.
Once again he seemed to have an underlying smile whilst telling me this.

Old 28-11-2010, 03:17 PM   #217
MEANXBCOUPE

On a brighter note, a preliminary noise and brake test is booked with the engineer on Tuesday comming.
This should be able to tell us if im in the ballpark noise wise before unloading a wad of cash for the official testing, which, will be booked ASAP if she is quite enough to pass regs.

Old 28-11-2010, 04:42 PM   #218
Tough Ford

****** what an exercise that turned out to be. Mine has been off road about 4 years(2 years by the previous owner), this coupe came with no interior and no front panels. Need to reupholster seats, door panels and respray bonnet and guards (XC), which are all off my old coupe, but Im more keen on an XB front end.

My coupe shell was purchased from a Ford dealer in 1981 and was not complete untill 1986, It has an XC dash, but XB compliane plate with rta stamped body when it was first registered and a D block with numbers stamped at the rear. Sounds to me like Im going to have a great time getting rego. Before I do any of this.

Cleveland goodness wrapped in a FORD shell
Tough Ford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2010, 10:03 AM   #219
MEANXBCOUPE

shouldnt be too bad, you have an RTA body number already, and its been regoed with that number and motor before right?
Should be just a blue slip and away you go, unless you need an engineers for any mods.

Old 30-11-2010, 01:23 PM   #220
Uncle Raggy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MEANXBCOUPE
shouldnt be too bad, you have an RTA body number already, and its been regoed with that number and motor before right?
Should be just a blue slip and away you go, unless you need an engineers for any mods.
I hope you're right Gaz, for my sake and Tough Ford's. Your dramas at least will help the rest of us coupe people trying to re-register after years off the road. I will be registering with same engine and chassis number as before, and I will only have one modification done compared to standard - NO RUST
Uncle Raggy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2010, 01:28 PM   #221
MEANXBCOUPE

no rust, Ha,Ha.
Well the weather gods have foiled all my plans as today was supposed to be the preliminary noise and brake tests - both need to be performed in dry conditions...

The good news is that the engineer has again reinspected the car, about a hour ago, and has given the all clear.
He Also tells me the speedo thing is a load on you know what, but just wind it on to keep the inspector happy

Last edited by MEANXBCOUPE; 30-11-2010 at 01:30 PM. Reason: speeling!
Old 30-11-2010, 05:41 PM   #222
fatasslandau
the money box

i can see us cruising soon
Old 30-11-2010, 11:57 PM   #223
MEANXBCOUPE

hope so, but the way its going it will be 2011......

Old 02-12-2010, 12:49 PM   #224
MEANXBCOUPE

it seems that the speedo requirment thingy is a load of you know what..
Rang the RTA tech enquiries branch today and was informed that its a load of BS and the RTA have no authority over odometers at all, its a fairtrading thing.

This is giving me the irrits. Oh yeah the Autometer speedo is a sealed unit and is difficult (expensive) to get profesionally wound on.
To do it manually would take approx 4 days at 160mph to get 150,000 M on it...

WHAT EVER RTA

Old 02-12-2010, 05:32 PM   #225
fatasslandau
the money box

stick it to the man
Old 02-12-2010, 08:42 PM   #226
XBCoupeNZ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Should have got them to email you that info, so you can print it, and shove it up the grumpy inspectors nose.

Although the nose is not the first orifice I thought of

"Target acquired .... target engaged ..... TARGET ANGRY!!!"
XBCoupeNZ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-12-2010, 01:28 PM   #227
MEANXBCOUPE

ended up pulling the speedo apart myself after getting some quotes! gee i could have brought 3 new ones from the states for the quoted price.
Anyway made a nylon wedge to spread open the ring retaining the front bezel, unscrewed the mechinism inside and add a few thou to the odometer!.
sealed it all back up with the same wegde i pulled it apart with.
Funny thing is, it only goes to 99999 Miles! how many times has it been clocked... who knows as long as the inspector is happy.
Now waiting on a rain free day in Sydney for the tests as mentioned earlier.

Old 06-12-2010, 09:43 PM   #228
MR.BA.GT.332
Now in the quad cam zone

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all his work in the project section. Awesome effort. 

[QUOTE=MEANXBCOUPE]

hi gary

love your work, coupe looks great!

can you tell me more about your dizzy setup, brand etc? trying to find something similar for my 460

cheers!

"BARNEY" 2003 BA GT #332, Phantom, Boss 290, FR20 Simmons. XYZ Brakes - 355mm Rotors - 8piston Front Calipers & 4piston Rear More Mods soon!!
MR.BA.GT.332 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 06-12-2010, 10:02 PM   #229
MR.BA.GT.332
Now in the quad cam zone

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all his work in the project section. Awesome effort. 

and after reading the last couple of pages regarding your rego woes, i think im glad i moved to QLD. The compliance etc couldnt have been easier for me up here, I knew the RTA were a bit harsh but damn... again well done to you for stickin it to em, knowing the rules and your rights.... inspiring stuff mate, good luck with the tests comming up, sure the ol girl will pass easy!

"BARNEY" 2003 BA GT #332, Phantom, Boss 290, FR20 Simmons. XYZ Brakes - 355mm Rotors - 8piston Front Calipers & 4piston Rear More Mods soon!!
MR.BA.GT.332 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-12-2010, 11:10 AM   #230
MEANXBCOUPE

yeah the main issue rego wise is no body number and issue 2 is i need to comply to ADR28- noise.
If the coupe was a couple of months older ADR28 didnt comply,the body number was still on the car, then rego would have been a breeze. Yeah its frustrating, but things are going well at this time.

My brother has an XW ute with a 429 in it, no issues rego wise.

As for the dizzy, thats completly hand fabricated with exeption of the cap and rotor button- they are MSD units. I use an MSD 6AL CDI to fire it all off. It is an offset drive to clear the blower snout. The new motor will be direct fire, coil on plug.

Last edited by MEANXBCOUPE; 07-12-2010 at 11:15 AM.
Old 08-12-2010, 10:38 PM   #231
MEANXBCOUPE

Had the noise check today and if anything, found out i wont be needing to hire out a venue to perform the actual test, this will save a few bucks.
Bad news is, it failed.......badly

driveby noise test max: 84Db..... result 94Db
Stationary exhaust noise test at 3300RPM max 96Db... result 99Db.

Now im in thinking mode as to what to do about this cost effectively.

On the driveby it was mainly exhaust noise that put me over, so Ill concentrate on that first. Hopefully that will sort out the stationary test at the same time.
I dont really have the dollars to redo the exhaust, so im going to have to work out a system of baffles or something to mute it down a bit without too much backpressure.
So thats pretty much it till christmas is over and done with, I will be putting it up on stands tommorrow,drop the 'zorst and have a look as to what i can do.

I'll keep you posted.

Old 09-12-2010, 09:44 AM   #232
gregaust
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Greg always goes out of his way to provide assistance and support to members of AFF. Greg freely shares his knowledge with people who ask for help and often assists them with obtaining parts and repairs.  A great member of the AFF community. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always happy to offer assistance from his own experiences and often posts up photos when someone is having issues finding/locating something they are trying to repair or replace. 

Have a look at the Dynomax VT muffler may do what you need

http://www.dynomax.com/mufflers.php
gregaust is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-12-2010, 12:32 PM   #233
MEANXBCOUPE

thanks for the tip, i'll have a look.

Old 31-12-2010, 07:37 PM   #234
MEANXBCOUPE

an update for the car 31-12-10
These are the new pulleys I have made to get passed the noise issue outlined above. Its a conversion from the 1/2" pitch drive belt common to blown cars to an industrial belt in "B" section, 4 off.
Both pulleys shown are made from solid bar and about 3 hours machine time in each. An idler is yet to be made.

machining the blank to size. Boring the center out.

As above different view.

After turning the outside, inside and depth of the blank, it was removed from the chuck and turn around. The front face was then machined. the mounting holes were then drilled and reamed in the mill. the slots you see are in the root of the Vee the belts will sit in. All that is left is to machine the sides of the Vee at an included angle of 40 deg.

Both top and bottom pulley's finished..

each piece of 6061 aluminium weighed about 3.5 kilos, finished weight is 1.5Kg.
The belts used will be the type used on buses and trucks that get good power transfer and will accept a large amount of torque.

More photos to come as they are installed, an idler in made and belt size is finalized.
Of course these may "fall off" after inspection and the old style "get back on ASAP"
Also working on the exhaust side of things too...

See ya next year

Old 18-01-2011, 01:00 PM   #235
MEANXBCOUPE

Well hello,
Happy new year
The pulleys shown in the above post have been fitted to the car and the belts sorted.
Took three goes at getting the right belt because i didnt want to modify the idler tensioner at all, just so i can revert back and forth between the "gilmer" style and vee belt style easily.

Also, as i always assumed, but noone could give a difinitive answer to, 6/71 roots blowers do not make the whining noise, it is purely the belts.

I know this because the coupe is now as quite as my AU XR8!

It sits and idles exactly the same as a non blown car.

some mechanic friends and even my engineer swore blind that changing the belt system would do bugger all. So there you go guys, another engineering challange met.

Also as an experiment, the car will run without the belts attached, albiet a bit rough, the blower just free wheels and the manifold vacuum is higher ( and no boost at higher revs obviously).
good to know, if i break a belt i can get home ( i do have a spare incase anyway).

Next stop, exhaust...

Old 18-01-2011, 02:07 PM   #236
LTDHO
The one and only

Awesome thread/build. I just spent my lunch hour studying your pic's.

I like the custome work more than anything. All done in good taste and style.

Particularly the friont end, got more pic's?
Other cars include Dynamic ED Sprint, Dynamic DL LTD, Sparkling Burgundy DL LTD, Yellow, Red & Blue XB sedan & Black XB Coupe
LTDHO is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2011, 06:04 PM   #237
BlueKoop
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wow that is very awesome and very different, never seen a multi belt setup on a blower. Would sound quite stealthy!

1973 Vivid Blue Pearl XB Coupe

Engine Build up and progress thread

New Car

2008 FG F6 Ute
BlueKoop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2011, 05:41 PM   #238
MEANXBCOUPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueKoop
wow that is very awesome and very different, never seen a multi belt setup on a blower. Would sound quite stealthy!
Thanks mate, I believe thats how it was done back in the day, before gilmer style belts, but after a few people lost limbs from the chain drives they used to run when blowers were fist used in cars.
It does sound stealth like, cause you cant hear it at all!

Old 07-02-2011, 01:47 AM   #239
darkside
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

some nice work your putting into the coupe,hey do you remember the bloke you bought this car from 10 years ago ?...doc
darkside is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-02-2011, 01:01 PM   #240
MEANXBCOUPE

16 years ago, and yes i do, why?