Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 14-07-2019, 09:34 PM   #1
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default "A man should never marry his mistress"

- As it immediately creates a redundancy. That quote is ascribed to the late Sir James Goldsmith, father of Jemima.

So - one car having departed my stable in the name of rationalisation and recapitalising, I am now considering filling the void with another, rather than feeling the serenity of less cars to worry about.

Nothing flash, nothing new, in keeping with my general inclination to share things around it will probably be an AU ute. I've spent many hours learning the intricacies, the quirks of their trim and wiring - why waste that knowledge and jump into another model?

A vehicle has been tentatively selected, the problems are several.

(a.) It will start, but won't stay running
(b.) It's almost 400km away in a small town
(c.) the owner is not a mechanic and doesn't trust the local one (apparently it ran fine until he took it there)
(d.) It's e-gas with an unknown swapped-in converter
(e.) My obligations increasingly tie me down in Sydney

How could this not end well?
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 14-07-2019, 09:42 PM   #2
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 
Default Re: "A man should never marry his mistress"

Sounds like a one night stand to me. (I'd say "Move on." but I don't think you will.)
JasonACT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-07-2019, 09:56 PM   #3
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think you relish a challenge...
This user likes this post:
Old 15-07-2019, 08:19 AM   #4
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

These deals always depend on whats more valuable to you, time or money...

just to inspect its a day out of your life you'll never get back , then there is the troubleshooting effort.

Balance that against options (the current market/ probabiliity of a good deal)

Good luck
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-07-2019, 08:39 PM   #5
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I think this one has resolved itself.

Numerous discussions over a week with the vendor, he gained education in some basic operational tests from me. Thus armed, he managed to track down the problem and apparently fix it suitably. (It was as I suspected, a faulty/damaged CAS.)

So then he calls me back, happy as Larry that it’s fixed, now he wants more for it. Well, hopefully someone will pay him more, but it’s unlikely to be me!
2 users like this post:
Old 16-07-2019, 08:43 PM   #6
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 

That's rude of him!

(And not wanting to be myself, it would have been nice if you included some of the good features of the car, rather than just the problems!)
Old 16-07-2019, 09:03 PM   #7
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Apparently it had new tyres and some replaced suspension parts, a bangin’ sound system, and a nearside door plus guard were included to replace the damaged ones.

I’d have thought the “Bloke’s guide to gratitude” in this instance would have been to say thanks, appreciate the help to make it usable, hit us up for a countery next time you’re coming through.
Old 16-07-2019, 09:09 PM   #8
JasonACT
Away on leave

(Motor and gearbox, Bender!)
Old 16-07-2019, 09:21 PM   #9
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I think it was almost 400K and a slushie.
Old 18-07-2019, 11:15 AM   #10
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Another AU trayback ute in my sights. This one is closer to me and has a towbar.
Old 18-07-2019, 04:30 PM   #11
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Someone scored, not me. Too slow!

Manual V8 AU3 trayback with NSW rego and 200K, for three-and-a-bit.
Old 18-07-2019, 04:37 PM   #12
JasonACT
Away on leave

Damn it!
Old 18-07-2019, 10:26 PM   #13
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Yes, a mate is spewing from my missing that one - he wanted to do skids in it.

Found another well priced ute, you clearly can’t hang about with these! This one would be a fly out, drive back long day trip.
Old 20-07-2019, 09:08 PM   #14
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

"Of dust thou art, and to dust thou shalt return"

The next ute which looked good on first premises, was too rusty for my comfort level, and the vendor - living interstate - had mislaid his NSW rego papers.

Yesterday I started punching prospective buys into a spreadsheet. I'm trying to establish a base cost per day, irrespective of whether the vehicle is used or not. Essentially the cost of simply having it. I can't get this below about $18 including pro-rated registration, insurance, provision for W&T, and incorporating recognition of a low retained (fire-sale) value.
Old 20-07-2019, 10:40 PM   #15
JasonACT
Away on leave

A complex equation indeed. But sometimes the heart desires what the mind can't always justify. I'm going with my heart. I trust it more than some other's minds. (Did I mention, I'm going to hell? - Oh, I did in another thread.)
Old 20-07-2019, 11:09 PM   #16
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I’ve actually weighted the costs in recognition of emotional “pull” against reality, so the pro-rated daily figure reflects the influence of an irrational decision. Great minds, eh?

The dream find would be a Congo Green S3 AU XR8 with column shift 6HP26 conversion, supplementary airbags and onboard compressor.

A nod to the RMS online registration check, picked up a concession not stated by seller. That’s a $466 “oversight” to make a freshly registered vehicle sound more appealing in price...
Old 20-07-2019, 11:16 PM   #17
JasonACT
Away on leave

$18 then is chicken feed, if the dream finds you.
Old 21-07-2019, 08:42 PM   #18
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I'm looking at two BA traybacks now, so the AU search has apparently run its course.

One has galactic mileage, two weeks expired rego but a nice tray. The other is lower mileage, 10 months pensioner rego, and a rough tray. It's tempting to buy both and swap the trays. Neither is a three seater.

Either way, I pretty much need a ute on the road and earning its keep this week.

My mate wants me to buy the AU wagon in Queensland, that's essentially been remade into a mobile brothel. He'd probably want to do skids with it.
Old 31-07-2019, 01:18 AM   #19
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Eyesight not what it was, I read that as:

"A man should never carry his mattress"