Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 11-08-2019, 08:27 PM   #1
MS33LU

Default "industrial" motor

I have come across a square block 351 Cleveland with an engine number of NDxxxx. Owner says its an industrial motor he purchased new. What is an industrial motor?

Please move (or remove) if necessary, wasn't sure of which section.
MS33LU is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2019, 08:37 PM   #2
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: "industrial" motor

Could have been used in lots of different applications.Maybe welder,compressor,pump etc. Could even have originally fitted to a boat or off road truck.Really any application that didn,t need transport authority numbering.
Tassie f100 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2019, 08:40 PM   #3
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

from memory the differences on these are minor
cam (internal) to suit the application its performing
and a carbi intake/governor set up to have it run at it desired speed when under load

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2019, 08:57 PM   #4
MS33LU

He says the motor had more torque and was more suitable for towing. He kept it in the car and didn't rebuild the old one.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:10 PM   #5
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

so theres a bigger story than him just telling you its an "industrial" motor
why did he buy it was it for an industrial use and then end up in his vehicle or did he buy it to fit to the vehicle its now fitted too ?
is he misinterpreting truck motor (eg f series or bigger) for industrial motor
when hes saying new , is he saying new never in its entire life been run before or new had been rebuilt
american clevelands never came with an engine number and some were stamped by governing bodies (eg state licensing) when relicensed in an australian vehicle

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2019, 09:27 PM   #6
MS33LU

He still has old winsdor 302 stored away, new oversize pistons and rebuild kit on top of his wardrobe. Bought the new unused 351C industrial motor from a company that ford supplied. The owner and myself both live Geelong, where the Ford plant is (or was). He got it off a local company that sold new ford parts. The owner is now in his mid seventies and he replaced it in the mid to late 70's. He remember a lot but not all.
Motor was stamped ND ****, don't know if it was stamped by Ford or the rego authorities when he notified them of engine change
Old 12-08-2019, 11:25 PM   #7
Aulpgute

I recall conversations from a couple of guys now in their 70's who used to have concrete trucks back in the day which had Holden red 202's and pre crossflow Falcon motors running hydraulic pumps to spin the agitators
Aulpgute is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2019, 01:10 AM   #8
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A lot of the early agitators used car based engines,starting with grey holdens,then the various size reds.They didn,t,t usually use hydraulic drives but rather a big reduction gearbox driving a big ring gear on the front of the barrel
Tassie f100 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2019, 08:39 AM   #9
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've seen a lot of old concrete agitators driven by 6-cyl engines over the years, but never a V8.

A 351 Clevo might've driven a stationary generator or something like that.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-08-2019, 11:22 AM   #10
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

See the adverts here:https://www.flickr.com/photos/aussie...57663046610241
Old 13-08-2019, 11:37 AM   #11
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Also see https://itstillruns.com/ford-460-eng...n-7202728.html
Quote:
Ford manufactures engines for nearly every use. Ford industrial engines are in tractors, heavy equipment and numerous machinery applications; the variety manufactured by Ford throughout its history is extensive. How you identify Ford industrial engines depends on the engine in question, and finding the casting number is your primary challenge. The casting number may be in several locations. Ford marks its industrial engines according to the same general system as it does those for automobile and truck engines.

Step 1

Find the engine, casting, or part number. Ford places the part number in various locations, depending on the engine. Common locations include the rear of the engine, near the starter mount and bellhousing, on the front of the block's right side (when looking at it from the front), on the left side of in-line-cylinder engines, or by the oil filter mount. "C8NN-6015-J" is an example of a Ford part/casting number.
Step 2

Decode the Prefix portion of the Ford part number. The prefix in the example, "C8NN," decodes as follows: the first position "C" indicates the decade, the 1960s. Ford uses the code with "A" designating the 1940s, "B," the 1950s, up to "G" for 2000 to 2010. The second position, "8," identifies the decade year, 1958. The third position, "N," identifies the block as manufactured for use on a tractor. The final position, "N," is also a tractor designation.

Identify the basic part number and suffix portions of the Ford part number. The part number casting you will find on the engine block is the part number of the block itself, with the basic part number, "6015," designating an engine block. The suffix portion, "J," is a part change indicator, with "J' identifying the tenth modification of this particular part. "A" identifies the first modification.
Tips

On some blocks, the middle section basic part number may be omitted, making the number similar to this instead: "C8NN-J."
The third and fourth position of the casting number prefix are the most important when identifying Ford industrial engines. Third position letters include "J" and "N," which identify industrial and tractor engines respectively, and "L" and "N" identifying Industrial and tractor engines in the fourth position.
Old 13-08-2019, 02:05 PM   #12
MS33LU

Thanks for the replies. I haven't checked casting dates yet but I know its a square block. Engine number stamped at the front starts with ND or it might be IND. Have to recheck
Old 13-08-2019, 03:37 PM   #13
foxtrot3
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical articles. 

Hi. Another point about "industrial" engines is that there may have been no sales tax paid on it where as an automobile replacement engine would have had 15 or 17.5 % sales tax applied to the price. Cheers MD

HI

I'M MICHAEL

2003 ACID RUSH BA FUTURA WAGON

light up window switches | auto on cruise control | doubleclick window lift from remote
foxtrot3 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2019, 04:25 PM   #14
MS33LU

You could be correct with that. The story goes that he took the 302 out for a rebuild, had it rebored, bought all the new parts. He found out about 4 new 351 sitting in a local business. Decided to put one of those in but still has original engine and stuff in his bedroom with some under the bed and the rest on top of the wardrobe.
Old 13-08-2019, 05:27 PM   #15
Interceptor
HSV - I just ate one!

fwiw, a friend has a 428 in his mustang, and the block was originally sourced from mercruiser….
Old 13-08-2019, 05:32 PM   #16
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Is this mystery motor in the XT with no ID plate?
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2019, 07:00 PM   #17
MS33LU

Yes it is but ID plate found. He took it off because it was just hanging on by one rivet. It's on top of the wardrobe with all the original parts for the Windsor rebuild. He used to tow a car around and the 351 had a similar power but more torque down low. Owner was 75, has many stories to tell. Car is extremely original and all other numbers match up with owners handbook.

Last edited by MS33LU; 13-08-2019 at 07:11 PM.
Old 13-08-2019, 08:12 PM   #18
whynot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Terry View Post

A 351 Clevo might've driven a stationary generator or something like that.

Dr Terry
A stationary something, but unlikely to be an electrical generator. Due to the requirement for 50 HZ output, the shaft speed of a generator is fixed to either 750, 1500, or 3000 RPM. At the power output of of Cleveland engine (around 250 kW) a diesel would be more fuel efficient by a long way. (Rule of thumb to produce 250 kW electrical power is around 55l of diesel per hour.) Power delivery for electrical generation is all wrong as well, with the Cleveland peak power coming around 5400 RPM, and not down at the bottom end.

Interesting mystery though ... or a bit of diversion to hide the true history of the block.
whynot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2019, 08:44 PM   #19
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
fwiw, a friend has a 428 in his mustang, and the block was originally sourced from mercruiser….
Mercruiser did also use 351 clevos for marine use. My boat has a mercruiser, its a marinised 4.3L chevy vortec v6. So iron block which is effectively a modified pickup truck motor. I think the marine versions are more towards torque and reliability. Rev limiter of my boat is 4800rpm.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-08-2019, 11:03 PM   #20
MS33LU

Any older members from Geelong on the forum. Engine was purchased from Gallaghers (????) that was in Thompson Rd. Have personally seen the engine number but whoever stamped it is another story.
Old 14-08-2019, 08:31 AM   #21
falconhell74
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I've come across clevo's, winsors and a couple 313 polly motors in old wood chippers that were classed as industrial motors.

Audi A4 S-line quttro
Xc falcon
Previous fords-
xc falcon 500 ,250 x flow 3 speed
xc gs worked 250 x flow 4 speed
xa Fairmont 302 auto wagon
xb falcon 250 log auto 4 door
xb falcon 200 log auto ute
xc gs project - had to sell :-(
xc gs 302 4 speed 4 door
xc gs 351 auto 4 door
zf fairlane 302 auto
zk fairlane 250 x flow carb auto
zl fairlane 250 x flow EFI auto
xg ute , BA falcon dedicated gas
xd, xf x 3 ,ea,eb,ef,au x 3,telstar tx5
falconhell74 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-08-2019, 09:04 AM   #22
Dr Terry
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by whynot View Post
A stationary something, but unlikely to be an electrical generator. Due to the requirement for 50 HZ output, the shaft speed of a generator is fixed to either 750, 1500, or 3000 RPM. At the power output of of Cleveland engine (around 250 kW) a diesel would be more fuel efficient by a long way. (Rule of thumb to produce 250 kW electrical power is around 55l of diesel per hour.) Power delivery for electrical generation is all wrong as well, with the Cleveland peak power coming around 5400 RPM, and not down at the bottom end.

Interesting mystery though ... or a bit of diversion to hide the true history of the block.
I didn't necessarily mean a 50 Hz style generator, I've seen a lot of welding generators & compressors etc. that were trailer mounted for transportation site to site.

A friend of mine is into stationary engines & has a few of these driven by old Holden 6-cyls & one by a Valiant Slant 6-cy.

Dr Terry
Dr Terry is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post