Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 16-08-2019, 02:00 PM   #181
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Would it be worth trading my FPV GT in on a new Mustang?

Well I finally succumbed to the Mustang Ross , much as I thought I never would. I had an offer too god to refuse so I took it and love the car so far. I had a serious operation earlier in the year and it changed my viewpoint and I decided to pull the trigger whilst I can still enjoy driving.
I miss the GT for so many little things but I would have bought the Mustang on the noise alone it's unbelievable and can be made louder if you wish for not too many dollars. Spare parts are readily available unlike FPVs and that used to worry me, as for keeping them and making big $$ on them , that boat sailed a long time ago and I wouldn't be around long enough to profit even if it hadn't. If I was fortunate enough I would have owned both but that is not the case. I am lucky to have lived in an era when speed limits didn't exist on certain roads and my Dad and I had some great times in his XA and my XB GT coupes and to some extent the Mustang reignites those passions and memories. The new owner of my GT has made contact with me but something inside tells me he's not , As my mate refers to us , a car pooftah and I suspect the old girl will suffer because of this. Anyway as Dick said the only thing you get from looking back is a sore neck so I am looking forward to a great summer enjoying the new girl in the garage. I shall keep you posted.
GT450
GT450 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-08-2019, 02:32 PM   #182
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

The day I finally sat in an FPV I knew and felt the difference between it and a regular Ford,
it's something you have to experience, feel and sense before you can make the judgement.

The Mustang is a nice car but it's not perfectly tailored for our top end buyers,
that attention to detail is what set the FPVs apart from regular XR8 and XR6Ts.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 16-08-2019, 05:49 PM   #183
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Talking Re: Would it be worth trading my FPV GT in on a new Mustang?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT450 View Post
Well I finally succumbed to the Mustang Ross , much as I thought I never would. I had an offer too god to refuse so I took it and love the car so far. I had a serious operation earlier in the year and it changed my viewpoint and I decided to pull the trigger whilst I can still enjoy driving.
I miss the GT for so many little things but I would have bought the Mustang on the noise alone it's unbelievable and can be made louder if you wish for not too many dollars. Spare parts are readily available unlike FPVs and that used to worry me, as for keeping them and making big $$ on them , that boat sailed a long time ago and I wouldn't be around long enough to profit even if it hadn't. If I was fortunate enough I would have owned both but that is not the case. I am lucky to have lived in an era when speed limits didn't exist on certain roads and my Dad and I had some great times in his XA and my XB GT coupes and to some extent the Mustang reignites those passions and memories. The new owner of my GT has made contact with me but something inside tells me he's not , As my mate refers to us , a car pooftah and I suspect the old girl will suffer because of this. Anyway as Dick said the only thing you get from looking back is a sore neck so I am looking forward to a great summer enjoying the new girl in the garage. I shall keep you posted.
GT450
This is not the forum to go into the why and why not's of 'life, but in short a bunch of us did a Europe trip on our bicycles and loved it and agreed we should do more whilst we can as life was passing us by. We were going this year but one of the guys wife was found to have a brain tumor.
So , you got to do and enjoy today . Buy, do what makes you happy , and if you've chosen wrong, no matter , change and continue to look forward.
I am still looking , and continue to weigh up the pros and cons. I still can't get over purchasing a stock GT and then having to tip in $20k+ to get the whine. Gotta have whine. Not prepared to pay $180k for the 'special' vehicle out of KPM. You have made the right call on the GT as it was your decision to move the GT for the Mustang. I sure with that exhaust note and windows down , by summer time it will be GT?, what GT?
Congratulations. I hope you will post some pics soon
Batmobile is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 16-08-2019, 10:28 PM   #184
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

What did you get for the GT in the end, last year you said you were chasing 35k?
Old 17-08-2019, 08:28 AM   #185
JackTarr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiji View Post
I think mustang is nice enough in its own right but so is a fpv GT.

Its just not worth to give up your GT and $32000 for a mustang.

Mustang looks nicer no doubt and appeals more to non ford motorists

But the fpv has a dream driveline, 5.0 factory supercharged, its the ultimate falcon. From behind the wheel the falcon is the better drive.

I will buy a mustang in future but not by selling my supercharged falcon.
yet you sold the Falcon
JackTarr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-08-2019, 08:51 AM   #186
eaglem
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The only thing I didn't like about my FPV GT was the fact that due to no lighting on the dash during the day it was hard to see fuel or temp levels as the only thing that was illuminated was the digital speedo. On the Mustang the Dash is lit at all times, just different lighting colours between day and night which is good.I like both vehicles but I'm happy I bought the Mustang.

eaglem is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2019, 08:42 AM   #187
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordomatic View Post
What did you get for the GT in the end, last year you said you were chasing 35k?
I got a fair price for it from a salesman who I twice put down deposits on FG GTPs on and couldn't go through with in the end , I just liked the BF GT too much. I can tell you this the dealer certainly didn't get $35 and I didn't have to go through the tyre kicking brigade with free test drives then the low balling figures. Add to that I paid well under the odds for the Mustang and had my Geelong football club discount it was the right time to do the deal.
GT450
2 users like this post:
Old 19-08-2019, 08:57 AM   #188
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Ross, yes there are certain times in your life when things come into perspective and having my surgery certainly changed my focus. I have never had the money or the wanderlust , I love my family, adore my grandkids and am very passionate about motorsport, they are what keep me going and get me up in the morning. I still work , can't really see myself not doing that, through both necessity and wanting to but the reality will hit one day. I was contemplating when I wouldn't be going to the Mountain as I have been doing it every year since I was 21, a younger mate said this was his last year due to age, but I reckon I will see at least my 70th birthday still going there.
I never had the whine you love so much, but I do enjoy the bark of the Mustang on start up, it really does wake the neighbours. So hopefully I will get the overseas trip when I retire ( it won't really matter if I don't I have been here 51 years and only let the country once to combine a holiday and a motor race) I would like to see the land of my birth to my teens again, but in the meantime the orange beast makes up for that.
Cheers
GT450
6 users like this post:
Old 19-08-2019, 09:03 AM   #189
eaglem
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I posted mine up on all the usual places (Gumtree etc) for $35,000 but started getting so many low ball offers from tyre kickers I finally accepted an offer of $31,500 from Nuford to avoid dealing with anymore numbnuts. As the Mustang I was buying was a private sale from a FIFO worker who hardly drove it and it was like brand new for $46,500 I only had to pay out $15,000 which was a good way to go. I can't be any happier with my decision.

eaglem is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-08-2019, 10:23 AM   #190
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Hi Ross, yes there are certain times in your life when things come into perspective and having my surgery certainly changed my focus. I have never had the money or the wanderlust , I love my family, adore my grandkids and am very passionate about motorsport, they are what keep me going and get me up in the morning. I still work , can't really see myself not doing that, through both necessity and wanting to but the reality will hit one day. I was contemplating when I wouldn't be going to the Mountain as I have been doing it every year since I was 21, a younger mate said this was his last year due to age, but I reckon I will see at least my 70th birthday still going there.

I never had the whine you love so much, but I do enjoy the bark of the Mustang on start up, it really does wake the neighbours. So hopefully I will get the overseas trip when I retire ( it won't really matter if I don't I have been here 51 years and only let the country once to combine a holiday and a motor race) I would like to see the land of my birth to my teens again, but in the meantime the orange beast makes up for that.

Cheers

GT450
Through your writing it sounds very clear that you have made the right call. It's nice to hear you smile through your writing. Whine is a must have , but I too would love the bark.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Old 19-08-2019, 11:40 AM   #191
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I deliberately didn't ever drive a supercharged GT for fear I may like it too much Ross, but as I said after a re evaluation ther really only was one Ford option new so I took it. I really is a totally different beast in many ways but the end result is the same and that's the joy it brings. Are you heading to Bathurst this year?
Eaglem I wasn't prepared to go through all the pain that comes with a private sale , I know I may have done better , but not by much and all the experts on here that tell you hang on it's worth more are armchair experts , lets see how they go when it's their car in the frame. 12 years on I got nearly 50% of my purchase price back and it sounds like you got a bargain on your Mustang. As long as we are happy in our own skin who cares what others think just enjoy the roar and the whine....lol
GT450
2 users like this post:
Old 19-08-2019, 12:07 PM   #192
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I deliberately didn't ever drive a supercharged GT for fear I may like it too much Ross, but as I said after a re evaluation ther really only was one Ford option new so I took it. I really is a totally different beast in many ways but the end result is the same and that's the joy it brings. Are you heading to Bathurst this year?
Eaglem I wasn't prepared to go through all the pain that comes with a private sale , I know I may have done better , but not by much and all the experts on here that tell you hang on it's worth more are armchair experts , lets see how they go when it's their car in the frame. 12 years on I got nearly 50% of my purchase price back and it sounds like you got a bargain on your Mustang. As long as we are happy in our own skin who cares what others think just enjoy the roar and the whine....lol
GT450
Bathurst is certainly on the radar , but with my daughters wedding , I won't make a call until the end of Sept. I hope to be able to stay with friends , so accommodation shouldn't be an issue.
Old 19-08-2019, 01:25 PM   #193
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well hopefully I can catch you there. I will be in Moffat avenue opposite Dicks crew as usual so let me know before time.
GT450
Old 19-08-2019, 04:41 PM   #194
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Considering how many Mustangs I've seen on the road, it would be better to keep the FPV GT as it is rarer.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 19-08-2019, 07:25 PM   #195
Batmobile
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Well hopefully I can catch you there. I will be in Moffat avenue opposite Dicks crew as usual so let me know before time.
GT450
I look forward to saying hi. I will forward an update as it comes to hand.
Old 20-08-2019, 07:46 AM   #196
Lunch
Wait, what?

@GT450 what’s the GFC membership Ford discount worth? Is it a set %?

Last edited by Lunch; 20-08-2019 at 07:51 AM.
Lunch is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-08-2019, 12:15 PM   #197
GT450
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Yes Syndrome the GT certainly was rarer I was well aware of that but like a mate who sold his Phase 3 last year it was time for someone else to enjoy it as I didn't drive it as much as I should have in recent years. The Mustang lights the fire again and that's why I have it. The Football club membership discount is $3k currently.
GT450