Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 12-01-2023, 06:05 PM   #301
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Default Re: According to Drive Ranger XL and XLS are not selling?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
Not as slow as the Super Moderator that bans someone using a thread they edited and thanked to do so with..lol

I posted a thread advertising AMC magazines without pics ages ago and had Gaso move it to the collectibles section which he then thanked my post in.

He then used it to give me enough points for a ban..lol
#1. The warned post is post 297
#2. If I banned you why are still ably to post?

And that's the end of it so back on topic
Old 12-01-2023, 06:09 PM   #302
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
#1. The warned post is post 297
#2. If I banned you why are still ably to post?

And that's the end of it so back on topic
Let him post, it’s beautiful. Lol

But back on topic.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2023, 06:21 PM   #303
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
Let him post, it’s beautiful. Lol

But back on topic.
His meltdowns after his **** poor troll attempts are legendary. What a sad little man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz
They probably don't need to sell cars when they are the highest selling truck brand in Oz.
Out of interest, how many trucks would they sell a year here? Is it comparatively small numbers compared to passenger vehicle sales, or is there a fairly big market for light trucks here?
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2023, 06:34 PM   #304
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
His meltdowns after his **** poor troll attempts are legendary. What a sad little man.

Out of interest, how many trucks would they sell a year here? Is it comparatively small numbers compared to passenger vehicle sales, or is there a fairly big market for light trucks here?
Light truck segment is a reasonable size. Probably continue to grow as well due to the wowsers(anti truck brigade) thinking everything can be transported by rail and then just couriered about.
Old 12-01-2023, 06:34 PM   #305
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Isuzu trucks and Isuzu passenger vehicles are different companies. Ring up an Isuzu Truck dealership and ask to have them look at your Dmax, you'll love the response!
Same as Volvo trucks and Volvo cars (latter owned by Geely).
Aswell as Mitsubishi Fuso (owned by Mercedes which was acquired back in the Daimler Chrysler days and they haven't been able to get rid of it) and Mitsubishi motors.
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2023, 06:40 PM   #306
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:

https://www.trucksales.com.au/editor...on-top-139053/

13,000 units for entire year, they have nearly 50% of the market share in the segments they compete in.

Its small numbers compared to cars, but Isuzu also has a product development centre in Truganina as well so they do all sorts of cool stuff there like customised vehicle builds for customers - last time I was there they were designing and building 20 or so garbage trucks in house at Truganina.

As well as looking at creating a fire truck for emergency services where it was traditionally outsourced by their customers and done by 'second stage manufacturers'.

It would be like if Ford Australia offered modifications to the Ranger in house by their engineers.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 12-01-2023 at 06:45 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2023, 06:40 PM   #307
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

Not in regards to manufactuiring they aren't. However their sales companies in Australia are different. Isuzu UTE is actually owned by Mitsubishi Corp! However they dont screw anything together. Vovo, Scania, Fuso etc. are completely removed from their light vehicle namesakes. Isuzu are not.
2000 Ford Falcon Wagon Egas
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.

Last edited by janddbone; 12-01-2023 at 06:47 PM.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2023, 06:58 PM   #308
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Short and sweet...it's on topic or it's deleted!
Old 12-01-2023, 07:07 PM   #309
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Bingo!
Old 12-01-2023, 07:09 PM   #310
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Happy with that if it goes for all
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-01-2023, 08:02 PM   #311
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR Martin View Post
What I find interesting is that people keep mentioning how Ford only really has two vehicles that sell and eggs in one basket etc
What about Isuzu? No one mentions them?
What about Honda?
Subaru?
Nissan?
To be fair, Isuzu only has "one basket" in Dmax and its MU-X wagon twin, they dont sell anything else.... The others you have mentioned are all OG's that have lost the plot and are barely even bit players these days.

People mention the "egg's in one basket" thing with Ford because its true, the part where I digress is I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing when that particular basket is class leading in the top segment in AU, selling like hot cakes and making Ford a heap of $$$$$.... Thats certainly a basket those bit players above could only wish for... Id add Mustang and Transit to the basket though also. At least they realize that they cant get a foot hold in other segments so have pulled those cars from sale (Fiesta, Focus, Mondeo) to focus on the ones they have. Nothing wrong with that...

Hers: 2024 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Daily: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 13-01-2023, 03:16 PM   #312
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Daz View Post
To be fair, Isuzu only has "one basket" in Dmax and its MU-X wagon twin, they dont sell anything else.... The others you have mentioned are all OG's that have lost the plot and are barely even bit players these days.

People mention the "egg's in one basket" thing with Ford because its true, the part where I digress is I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing when that particular basket is class leading in the top segment in AU, selling like hot cakes and making Ford a heap of $$$$$.... Thats certainly a basket those bit players above could only wish for... Id add Mustang and Transit to the basket though also. At least they realize that they cant get a foot hold in other segments so have pulled those cars from sale (Fiesta, Focus, Mondeo) to focus on the ones they have. Nothing wrong with that...
Commercial vehicles are a pretty safe segment too. Business’s need utes for work duties, the police use them as paddy wagons, and tradies use them for carrying their work equipment/tools.

It’s not a segment that’s going to disappear.
3 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2023, 03:25 PM   #313
Poetic Justice
NOT A TOYOTA :/

Quote:
Commercial vehicles are a pretty safe segment too. Business’s need utes for work duties, the police use them as paddy wagons, and tradies use them for carrying their work equipment/tools.

Still baffles me that Hyundai/Kia haven't come to the party. I've been working with Hyundai since 2017 and ever since then it's been "Oh there's a ute coming.."
Old 13-01-2023, 03:39 PM   #314
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poetic Justice View Post
Still baffles me that Hyundai/Kia haven't come to the party. I've been working with Hyundai since 2017 and ever since then it's been "Oh there's a ute coming.."
Don’t let the BS from H/K kid you, without North American support for a pickup, they’re dead in the water.
So yeah, all the people waiting for a Tucson pickup hold your nose on that stinker, it’s like Toyota’s solid state battery…

It’s like VW, they bought International Scout brand and now want MAGNA to develop a BEV pickup.
The idiots are blabbing it will be ready for 2026, yeah good luck with that, no disrespect to MAGNA
but they don’t have stones to deliver cutting edge prime time ready BEV product.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2023, 03:47 PM   #315
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:

I just don’t get how people think that narrow focus on high $$$ product is a bad thing,
this is the first time in years that Ford has a great product that plenty want to buy.

If they want to diversify, just offer 2.3 EB petrol engine in XL/XLT to capture different buyers
Heck, there’s even development for it in LHD Everest, so more opportunity…

Double down on Ranger & Everest sales, just push the envelope and open it up to more folks.
Old 13-01-2023, 03:50 PM   #316
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I just don't think its worth it for them to bother trying to enter such a competitive, and crowded, market when they both already have a range of product that sell well and are kicking goals.

Hyundai does have a ute it sells in 'merica (Santa Cruz i think its called) but Its not really the same thing as the dual cab's we have here (Ranger, et al).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8

Exactly, and as a bonus that commercial platform also gives them a second model to sell to a different buyer (wagon version ie. Everest, MU-X, etc).

Hers: 2024 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Daily: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2023, 03:53 PM   #317
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Yeah it’s been a running story for years. I think their issue is their home market probably doesn’t really care about utes, they would need to build a us market ute in america to even stand a chance or cop the chicken tax, and even our market selling a couple of thousand utes a month isn’t going to be enough to justify the investment.

Then they are stuck in no mans land with BEV’s required in future, but needing a platform that will require a diesel. So it really requires 2 platforms. Or do they just choose one. Which would mean low sales now, or no sales in 10 years. Or compromise and have it cause shortcomings for either by trying to share one platform for both?

Not a good time to create a new product line.
Old 13-01-2023, 03:55 PM   #318
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Daz View Post
I just don't think its worth it for them to bother trying to enter such a competitive, and crowded, market when they both already have a range of product that sell well and are kicking goals.

Hyundai does have a ute it sells in 'merica (Santa Cruz i think its called) but Its not really the same thing as the dual cab's we have here (Ranger, et al).
And that’s why they won’t do two Utes, Hyundai also knows that the Santa Cruz would
get flogged in Australia / New Zealand / South Africa….don’t even try in Thailand / SE Asia

Quote:

Exactly, and as a bonus that commercial platform also gives them a second model to sell to a different buyer (wagon version ie. Everest, MU-X, etc).
A great opportunity to press home a more cosy “station wagon” feel…..
2 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2023, 04:02 PM   #319
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
I just don’t get how people think that narrow focus on high $$$ product is a bad thing,
this is the first time in years that Ford has a great product that plenty want to buy.
The only problem I see with it, and mean industry wide not just Ford, is that you are allowing the Chinese brands to get market share. Over time these brands will mature and come after your higher profit models. So to me, it's great for the here and now. Not so much for the long term.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2023, 04:03 PM   #320
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80

If they want to diversify, just offer 2.3 EB petrol engine in XL/XLT to capture different buyers
Heck, there’s even development for it in LHD Everest, so more opportunity…

Double down on Ranger & Everest sales, just push the envelope and open it up to more folks.
The 2.3 is already there if they want it. Would probably depend on how diesel prices go. If they continue to stay high it probably becomes more favourable. Probably keep a close eye on how Amarok goes with it.

And there are more things coming. They are really going to push into areas they haven’t been before, with one target in particular ripe for the picking.
Old 13-01-2023, 04:08 PM   #321
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by naddis01 View Post
The only problem I see with it, and mean industry wide not just Ford, is that you are allowing the Chinese brands to get market share. Over time these brands will mature and come after your higher profit models. So to me, it's great for the here and now. Not so much for the long term.
Just can’t compete on price. It’s a money losing proposition. Staying solidly profitable is all that matters now.

There really is nothing they can do to stop the chinese gaining a foot hold now. Only the public can do that.
Old 13-01-2023, 04:16 PM   #322
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
And there are more things coming. They are really going to push into areas they haven’t been before, with one target in particular ripe for the picking.
I'm assuming hybrid?
Old 13-01-2023, 04:28 PM   #323
prydey
Rob

Quote:

While this is true, Ford don't want to ignore the fact that many businesses don't want the full fruit models. They'll shop on price or green credentials or safety credentials. They'll have a different check list to the tradie with a car allowance or Joe private.

Ranger sales are great for now but I don't see too many fleet/business sales in the mix, hence the title of the thread.

So sure, they're playing in a strong segment but they shouldn't get greedy focussing solely on the top end. Look at mustang sales. There comes a point where owners don't see the need to continually upgrade to the new model.
Old 13-01-2023, 05:45 PM   #324
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
While this is true, Ford don't want to ignore the fact that many businesses don't want the full fruit models. They'll shop on price or green credentials or safety credentials. They'll have a different check list to the tradie with a car allowance or Joe private.

Ranger sales are great for now but I don't see too many fleet/business sales in the mix, hence the title of the thread.

So sure, they're playing in a strong segment but they shouldn't get greedy focussing solely on the top end. Look at mustang sales. There comes a point where owners don't see the need to continually upgrade to the new model.
They still have vehicles for fleets, so the bases are covered. Or will be.
Old 13-01-2023, 07:37 PM   #325
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post

Some thoughts,
Fleets buying on lowest price wouldn’t consider Ranger anyway…

It could well be that larger fleets have now realised that resale on XLT is much better than XL,
a lot of the fleet business is now novated vehicles, be they tradies in business for themselves
Or people negotiating a vehicle in a salary package where residual values are better in upper trims…
2 users like this post:
Old 13-01-2023, 08:11 PM   #326
PooDog
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Some thoughts,
Fleets buying on lowest price wouldn’t consider Ranger anyway…

It could well be that larger fleets have now realised that resale on XLT is much better than XL,
a lot of the fleet business is now novated vehicles, be they tradies in business for themselves
Or people negotiating a vehicle in a salary package where residual values are better in upper trims…
Yep the first bit explains the thread title to a tee , Ranger won't dominate the ute Market completely until they price the base models more effectively it's the reason why an aging Triton is 3rd in ute sales ......that and the dealer /Ford support for their vehicles that's why I probably won't buy another new Ford unless they produce something really special and or change their attitude

Au11 fairmont Ghia ported gt40p heads ,comp springs and locks
Xe 264 cam,custom intake,pacemaker tri y headers
524nm torque

19 Triton GSXR manual

Last edited by PooDog; 13-01-2023 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Forgot this bit
PooDog is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-01-2023, 09:19 PM   #327
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PooDog View Post
Yep the first bit explains the thread title to a tee , Ranger won't dominate the ute Market completely until they price the base models more effectively it's the reason why an aging Triton is 3rd in ute sales ......that and the dealer /Ford support for their vehicles that's why I probably won't buy another new Ford unless they produce something really special and or change their attitude
I saw South Auckland Ford are actually owned and operated by FOMOCO.
Be an exception?

The Ford dealer on the Gold Coast I always found excellent through three Focuses and three Fiesta s including a powershift none of them bought there always cheaper to buy in Bris then service on the GC.

Will resume relationship when Puma due for servicing.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 14-01-2023, 12:06 PM   #328
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Why would Ford even bother competing with the triton, the Ranger outsells it about 3 to 1. It’s getting really old now and sales continue to drop away.

You can guarantee the new Triton, which i think isn’t that far away, will move up significantly in price, size and spec to better compete with Ranger. Prototypes already show it looks much more comparible in size, not like the skinny current model.

The D-Max and Bt50 jumped significantly in cost to near Ranger levels with the new one.

And “won’t dominate the ute market”? It’s been the highest seller in 2 of the past 3 months, and will continue to battle for the highest selling vehicle in the country now the supply is there. What more do they need to do?
Old 14-01-2023, 01:04 PM   #329
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
They went from 200-odd 4x2s a month to 500 in last months sales - over 100% increase there.

They're starting to win some low end sales.
Old 14-01-2023, 01:11 PM   #330
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

4x2 doesn't necessarily mean low end. About 1/3 of 4x2 sales are XLT level.