Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Ford Car Clubs > Ford Coupe Club of Australia > Coupe Restoration & Build

Old 18-01-2011, 06:59 AM   #151
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

Awesome stuff Paull

PS: Not looking forward to getting my rear screen installed on the Landau....
gcg2503 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2011, 09:41 AM   #152
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gcg2503
Awesome stuff Paull

PS: Not looking forward to getting my rear screen installed on the Landau....
I too was concerned but seriously George, the rear screen was an absolute snap going in. My problem was that I had bought moulds that weren't from the car and that they are slightly bent. Also, the seal is too big so the combination of the two made it difficult but not impossible.

I take it that your car, the window, seal and moulds came out so it should go back in quite well.
Paull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2011, 11:52 AM   #153
74xbkoop
74xbkoop

Hi Paull,

Looking Great. We fitted the front and rear glass to mine on the weekend as well. Front no problems, But the rear was an absolute s@#$. The fater market rubbers must be slightly different and the stainless doesnt fit quite right. After a lot of stuffung around ( About 4 Hours) Had it fitted. Dont want to do that again!!!!! Well done with your build its looking real good.
74xbkoop is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2011, 09:08 PM   #154
GT-GTF
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Looking really good now Paul. Love the work with the side repeater lenses.
GT-GTF is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2011, 09:16 PM   #155
Scooter
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by georgevlah
Looking really good now Paul. Love the work with the side repeater lenses.
Agree on the side markers, look great. I managed to get 1 NOS lense for mine so far. She will be on the road in no time!
Scooter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-01-2011, 06:21 AM   #156
wayne cqld
Starter Motor

Awesome stuff Paull, your effort will soon be rewarded. Agree about the side lenses, saw a set on ebay just after I finished mine.

Cheers
Wayne
wayne cqld is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-02-2011, 01:17 PM   #157
Geez Louise
Awesome

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: All the behind the scenes things that help the community. 

Any further updates Paull?

Love reading your build and the effort you have put in. Great work
Old 26-02-2011, 12:39 AM   #158
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geez Louise
Any further updates Paull?

Love reading your build and the effort you have put in. Great work
Louise, unfortunately no updates as yet. Work and family commitments have seen work on the Cobra almost stop for now. It is a case of priorities, namely family and home stuff first.

In that, the Wall has now been finished

BUT!! She who must be obeyed has me onto another project, the Spa!

I had very much wanted to get his done before the end of this summer (it has so been so bloody hot in Perth of late!!) but even this isn't likely to occur

But what has really been taking up the time, both working on and going away, is that of the Campervam (ex-Ambo)

We are going on another little holiday next weekend so with that, the poor old XC languishes in the shed feeling very unloved Even more so for the XD, it wont see anything being done for quite some time.

I am hoping to get some more time on it in the second half of this year on the Cobra. There are a few smaller jobs, get the passenger side window and install, fit the rear screen along with the parcel shelf that may get done sooner. Once done, I can then finish off the interior, just don't know when.
Old 26-02-2011, 12:49 AM   #159
Paull
P6 LTD

And I almost forgot, another thing that had been really bugging me was that the garage and shed were turning into a disaster zone in having all manner of crap anywhere and everywhere. I knew that I had to do a proper clean up first, before continuing on with the cars, but this took longer than I thought.

At any rate, I managed to make up a few racks (see below) so all spare engines and stuff are stored a bit better. I now need to complete it with a bit more pallet racking and the shed will be a much better place to work.

Old 26-02-2011, 08:31 AM   #160
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always adding valued comments,  never involved in any disputes. A credit to this forum. 

That is spare parts heaven Paull!!!

Do I count 6 Clevelands there?
Old 26-02-2011, 12:01 PM   #161
coupecouple04

where do you find the energy ?.my wife would love to be married to you.
coupecouple04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2011, 12:11 PM   #162
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Look at this organised state of the spare parts. No wonder the Cobra build is of such a high standard!!!

Diffs stacked up and aligned perfectly

Engines down one flank

Transmissions down another

The clarity...whereas pics of my garage are too embarassing for me to post

PS: like coupecouple said, my GF would love you Paul. You are one of those handymen types. I am one of those lazy types!
Old 26-02-2011, 06:08 PM   #163
Bearman
Moderator Ford Coupe Club

Quote:
PS: like coupecouple said, my GF would love you Paul. You are one of those handymen types. I am one of those lazy types!
And I'm one of those inept types who is in danger of stabbing himself whenever he pics up a screwdriver!!

Paull, you da man!!

http://www.fordcoupeclub.org

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there" George Harrison 2001.
Bearman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-02-2011, 10:50 PM   #164
Paull
P6 LTD

Quote:
That is spare parts heaven Paull!!!

Do I count 6 Clevelands there?
More than that George, your just not looking hard enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by coupecouple04
where do you find the energy.
Let's just say that I find it very difficult to do 'nothing' in my spare time. Also, doing stuff at home be it brick laying, wood working, metal fabrication or working on cars, I find it very rewarding and also value adding. It's also nice to take on a project, do it all yourself, save some money and have the satisfaction of knowing you have done it all yourself.

Case in point, I always wanted a 'proper' Barby

It went from this;

To this

And finished with this (well almost, I have a patio over this area now)

I'll be the first to admit that what I do is not perfect, far from it, but it's good fun and I do enjoy it.

Quote:
Look at this organised state of the spare parts. No wonder the Cobra build is of such a high standard!!!
It wasn't always so neat, hence having such a big driver to get things 'organised'.
Old 26-02-2011, 10:53 PM   #165
Paull
P6 LTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearman
And I'm one of those inept types who is in danger of stabbing himself whenever he pics up a screwdriver!!

Paull, you da man!!
Thanks mate.
Old 27-02-2011, 12:44 PM   #166
coupecouple04

looks super to me great entertainment area too bad your in Perth i would come over for a chop .Leave my wife at home though lol
coupecouple04 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2011, 11:01 PM   #167
Fair302
Life is a Ride!

Default Re: XC Cobra #140

MAD, Glad I just read that, I'll check your other projects next.

: 2011 Honda CB400 - Pearl White; Megacycle slip-on, Some Carbon Fibre & More... 2010 Yamaha Virago 250 - Burgandy
Fair302 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-05-2011, 09:16 AM   #168
Paull
P6 LTD

Just a very small update.

I managed to get the engine dis-assembled over the weekend, although it was mostly done before hand. I just had to take the crank shaft and cam shaft out.

I am doing up a few others as well so they are all now ready to be sent of for acid bathing and machining

All I have done with the gearbox is to get it into the garage and onto the bench, man are these things heavy to lift!!

And that's all for now. Hopefully some more updates when the engine and gearbox are ready to go.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:59 AM   #169
damo67
Why can't I win lotto!!!!

WOW What a fantastic build. You would have to be one of the most organised blokes I have seen in a long while. I think we all would like to have,
1. a shed like yours;
2. a entertaining area like yours and;
3. The time to do it all.

Well done mate looking forward to reading about the finished product.

Damo
damo67 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-08-2011, 04:13 AM   #170
fordgt71
xc78 gxl

keep up the works man. when i got my cobra it was restored but now im doing a gxl resto so i fill ur pain
fordgt71 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 01:27 AM   #171
Paull
P6 LTD

Some more progress, finally.

I have now started on the final leg of getting the car completed. The engine should be back from the machine shop early next week so I am now trying to get everything ready for the engine/transmission to be fitted in, once assembled.

I have had the front end just sitting in there and partially completed. Time today though was to get all of the remaining parts in and everything torqued up.

Tie rod ends ready to go in

And all fitted

Fuel line in

Left and right bump stop plates fitted

Engine bay is almost there. I now need to fit the power steering box and a few other small things. Power steering lines along with the engine mounts have also been fitted

The grille has also been assembled. I am still however waiting on the main head lights. Will hopefully get those tomorrow.

In the preparation of fitting the grille, I was tapping out a few holes. What I found most surprising that two of threads were metric????? Go figure???

And also the bonnet latch was a metric thread. I would have thought that all of the XC's would be imperial, obviously not. I know that almost all of the P6 LTD's are imperial, bar a few nuts/studs on the front end

Whilst on the bonnet, I have had many latches zinced. Three of which I have pictured and am wanting to know which is the correct one for the XC's? The one the right is for the P6 LTD but the other two, I am not sure which one is the right one?

And a few pics of the front of the car

Tomorrow will see both FMX's being sent off for overhaul (very much wanted to do these myself but time is not on my side at the moment), 2 x power steering box core's for overhaul, 1 x power steering pump, all of my exhaust manifolds plus other engine parts for sand blasting, 3 x Carter Thermoquads (plus 2 spares) for overhaul and 2 x electronic ignition distributors for rebuild (plus a few spares as well).

The plan for the weekend will be to get the dash in, a job that I have been avoiding like the plague, oh well, must do it some time
Old 07-10-2011, 07:17 AM   #172
JUZXR8
Hmmmmm

IIRC from my old mans XC the correct latch is the one on the left. If i make it out to his place today ill double check if you need.

Last edited by JUZXR8; 07-10-2011 at 07:18 AM. Reason: Typing fail
JUZXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 09:59 AM   #173
Paull
P6 LTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUZXR8
IIRC from my old mans XC the correct latch is the one on the left. If i make it out to his place today ill double check if you need.
If you have time, that would be greatly appreciated, thanks.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:04 AM   #174
Paull
P6 LTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by damo67
WOW What a fantastic build. You would have to be one of the most organised blokes I have seen in a long while. I think we all would like to have,
1. a shed like yours;
2. a entertaining area like yours and;
3. The time to do it all.

Well done mate looking forward to reading about the finished product.

Damo
Thanks for that. Not sure about the time to do it as it has only taken me almost 9 years
Old 07-10-2011, 10:09 AM   #175
Paull
P6 LTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordgt71
keep up the works man. when i got my cobra it was restored but now im doing a gxl resto so i fill ur pain
Do you still have the Cobra?
Old 07-10-2011, 08:05 PM   #176
Revolver
Big Member
Donating Member1

Small thread jack here, but how did you get those diff's up so high?

Forklift?
/////Alpine Sound.
EBGT Momo Woodgrain Steering Wheel
The Scarlet Fairlane Build Thread

Project "White Knight"
93 ED XR6
ROH Alloys
Momo wheel
Cruise
Sunroof
Premo Sound
Manual
HO Goodies
PWK Build Thread

1990 Yamaha FZR 250: 59000ks & climbing. New fairing, old tank, my angry mosquito in a coffee tin! 14.977 1/4mile.
Revolver is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 09:35 PM   #177
Cabbage
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Nice work Paul, dash isn't too bad, just take your time. Definitely a two man job. What suspension component brands did you use?
Cabbage is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-10-2011, 11:02 PM   #178
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conundrum

Forklift?
I actually went through Paull's thread early this morning and had the same question. I too assumed a forklift did the job!
Old 07-10-2011, 11:30 PM   #179
Paull
P6 LTD

Quote:

Forklift?
Like this

This worked for the initial part and then it was myself, a mate of mine plus the neighbour to man handle it onto the second shelf.

Quote:
Nice work Paul, dash isn't too bad, just take your time. Definitely a two man job.
Well, it will be me, myself and I tomorrow. I am thinking that it is going to take me than a day as I have an engine to paint as well as get the HVAC unit in first.

Quote:
What suspension component brands did you use?
It was a bit of a mix Clinton. Ford parts were possible, then some TRW followed by Protex and then some Powermax

I picked up the headlights today but not the wiper motor as it was not ready. Should be by Monday afternoon though. At least I can now finish the grille off as I bought some of the elusive small metric bolts for the grille today. Whilst at the wreckers, I looked at as many XC's as I could and they all had the short slide (middle of picture) bonnet latch, so that is the one that will be put on.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:33 PM   #180
gcg2503
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Paul what process did you follow for the brake restoration

I am at that stage with the Landau

Did you sandblast anything?

I want my calipers looking like new again...only the best will do for my Landau