Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-06-2022, 09:53 PM   #1
daryle
Old drag racer

Default G6E turbo

Not real sure where to post this so will give this a try.
Base question is why did Ford bring out a HP car with a single rear wheel diff?
In my extended experience over many years i have found a limited slip diff much more stable than a single wheel drive diff. Take a wet road take off as an example. Single drive diff "usually" will just power you in a straight line BUT on occasion i have had a very nasty "hook" effect usually to the left. In fact that was so bad in an EF wagon i got to the point i was actually a bit scared to do a wheel spin takeoff in the wet with this car. With a LSD i have found you can get a "fishtail" type effect which can get out of control but not nearly as quickly as with a single wheel drive diff. On the other hand i have driven many Fords with LSD rear ends and have never had this "hook" effect.
Last was with a highly modified Detroit locker setup. So am asking i suppose why did Ford put a single wheel diff in a top of the line performance car?
Thanks.
daryle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-06-2022, 10:18 PM   #2
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Default Re: G6E turbo

Yep, pretty stupid, when a Holden Calais could be equipped with an LSD (even XR6 falcons in the BA series could be, and you go back further and the 108kW-less EL Fairmont Ghia had an LSD).
But, it's been 14 years since FG release, so if one really wants a limited slip rear end, there are aftermarket options galore now.
Ford Australia has never really been in tune with what enthusiasts and motorists want
MY18 Black WRX STi Spec-R
Previous:
'16 White FGX XR8
'09 Black FG FPV GT 5th Anniversary
'04 Blueprint BA XR8
'97 Mocha Foam EL Fairmont
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2022, 07:45 AM   #3
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

XR6T and XR8's in FG's only came factory LSD equipped....as to why well I guess they figured G6ET buyers wouldn't need it......obviously a cost thing really in the end.....I had one from new back in 2008, never really missed not having an LSD but then again I really picked my times where I pushed it in the wet....
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2022, 07:47 AM   #4
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&Ms View Post
Yep, pretty stupid, when a Holden Calais could be equipped with an LSD (even XR6 falcons in the BA series could be, and you go back further and the 108kW-less EL Fairmont Ghia had an LSD).
But, it's been 14 years since FG release, so if one really wants a limited slip rear end, there are aftermarket options galore now.
Ford Australia bean counters has never really been in tune with what enthusiasts and motorists want
I edited your post....The engineers knew exactly what enthusiasts wanted as they were just as enthusiastic.
2 users like this post:
Old 28-06-2022, 08:23 AM   #5
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

In the older V8 Fords on rainy days, you could select 2 and take off in second gear with no nasty Rear wheel torque steer to the left
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2022, 03:07 PM   #6
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Someone in marketing would have figured the G6ET would be driven by older gentlemen who would never resort to such tomfoolery as spinning wheels. And ditching the LSD would be a nice little cost saver.

Did that turn out to be wide of the mark. Probably see more getting heavily worked over than XRT's now.

I could never figure out why they didn't at least offer it as an option.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-06-2022, 03:23 PM   #7
daryle
Old drag racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
I edited your post....The engineers knew exactly what enthusiasts wanted as they were just as enthusiastic.
Fondly remember a test cell with 4 HO engines all at peak revs, red hot exhausts etc. Went home at night to come back the next morning to see 3 survived and 1 unfortunately dead. To say the engineers were excited would be a gross understatement. Test cell was completely covered in thick wood on the inside for obvious reasons. Also remember an exec driven phase 3 on the board for sale at $4250. Hindsight is wonderful.
daryle is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 28-06-2022, 05:36 PM   #8
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Someone in marketing would have figured the G6ET would be driven by older gentlemen who would never resort to such tomfoolery as spinning wheels. And ditching the LSD would be a nice little cost saver.

Did that turn out to be wide of the mark. Probably see more getting heavily worked over than XRT's now.

It was only after my wife drove the G6ET for the first time and spun the inside wheel making a left turn did she comment once home, "the new car is a bit quicker than the wagon" ..wagon being a BA Futura wagon written off after being rear ended while stationary.
2 users like this post:
Old 28-06-2022, 05:54 PM   #9
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I haven't driven a G6E but do they have ESC or Traction control at least?

Edit I'm pretty sure they do,

So for the G6E being more of a Luxury car than a sports car I guess Ford decided that would be adequate

Should have been an option though
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP

Last edited by Vesper Martini; 28-06-2022 at 06:23 PM.
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2022, 06:22 PM   #10
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Was the G6E T marketed as a "performance" car?

Would guess it was to further differentiate the G6E T from the XR6 T.

Have sat in a G6E T of a mechanic's car. Very nice!

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2022, 06:58 PM   #11
Dave R

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Valued contributor especially in the FG threads. Offers help and information to all. Posts are always in a positive manner. 

Would a G6ET with LSD have earned many additional sales, or mainly cannibalised XR6 Turbo sales? It was probably a good move to differentiate them.

I assume Ford's thinking was that with a decent stability control system (which they had), you don't necessarily need an LSD. The G series DSC tune was more conservative than the XR tune I believe (which would allow the car to fishtail with the system turned on, it was great). The C63 AMGs of that era didn't come standard with LSDs in several markets either, similar thinking perhaps.
Dave R is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-06-2022, 07:14 PM   #12
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

I remember there being a similar thread posted in the F6, XR6T and G6ET sub-forum on this topic a number of years ago. There was some consensus that G6ET was faster in a straight line due to the single spinner. Not sure what that was based on though.

As mentioned, these were marketed as executive expresses, designed for the open road. An LSD was considered not required.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2022, 07:19 PM   #13
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Similarly, the 5.4L 3v (barra 220), which I think has a flatter torque curve than the XR8, did not come with LSD either (unless it was a manual, which was rare).

Again, I think it was just a differentiating factor, aside from body kit and interior. And the barra 220 was never marketed as a "performance" car.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2022, 11:26 AM   #14
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Mmmm, interesting to see the comments here of 2nd hand (potential) buyers of a G6ET.
I am an older gent (69old) with a G6ET, it has been (tastefully), modified to 450rwhp. and when desired go like an express train on steroids. But only when I need it to. I don't want a 'race car', I want a car that delivers the goods for me. The G6ET fit well, I can cruise down a Motorway at the speed limit an get to where I'm going. It was designed by FoA to be an 'Executive Express', and it does deliver. Sadly for me I wanted more & set out to get it.
The It, I refer to is up to the buyer.
FoA was certain, if you the buyer wanted a race car, the GT & F6 & GT-P were there as a choice.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 29-06-2022, 11:40 AM   #15
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post
Would a G6ET with LSD have earned many additional sales, or mainly cannibalised XR6 Turbo sales? It was probably a good move to differentiate them.

I assume Ford's thinking was that with a decent stability control system (which they had), you don't necessarily need an LSD. The G series DSC tune was more conservative than the XR tune I believe (which would allow the car to fishtail with the system turned on, it was great). The C63 AMGs of that era didn't come standard with LSDs in several markets either, similar thinking perhaps.
Considering the G6ET cost more and i assume had the same profit level, i don't think it would have hurt XR6T sales.

In my case I wanted all the performance plus all the luxury without needing to add any options and really wanted the sleeper looks of the G6ET...

(It still bugs me to this day the G6ET had drop down lhd side mirror when reverse gear is selected and adjustable foot pedals all sync'd with each key fob while the Titanium Terry's doesn't even have them at all.)

If was quite funny in my first few months of ownership in '08 and before the wider public really new what they were performance wise how much fun it was having SS drivers think they could overtake on the inside...should have handed out specs so they could read the red TURBO badging.

As Boss mentioned, LSD should have been at least an option.

Last edited by Dr Smith; 29-06-2022 at 11:45 AM.
3 users like this post:
Old 29-06-2022, 11:52 AM   #16
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout View Post
Mmmm, interesting to see the comments here of 2nd hand (potential) buyers of a G6ET.
I am an older gent (69old) with a G6ET, it has been (tastefully), modified to 450rwhp. and when desired go like an express train on steroids. But only when I need it to. I don't want a 'race car', I want a car that delivers the goods for me. The G6ET fit well, I can cruise down a Motorway at the speed limit an get to where I'm going. It was designed by FoA to be an 'Executive Express', and it does deliver. Sadly for me I wanted more & set out to get it.
The It, I refer to is up to the buyer.
FoA was certain, if you the buyer wanted a race car, the GT & F6 & GT-P were there as a choice.
Well put, dare I say the 2nd or 3rd owners may treat the car differently..
fb photo upload
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2022, 01:48 PM   #17
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrenaline View Post

Ford would have preferred to sell more G6ET's than XRT's though, because they were more expensive and no doubt more profitable.

When my tax return comes in i'm buying a tru-trac for mine.
Old 29-06-2022, 01:52 PM   #18
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6
I remember there being a similar thread posted in the F6, XR6T and G6ET sub-forum on this topic a number of years ago. There was some consensus that G6ET was faster in a straight line due to the single spinner. Not sure what that was based on though.

As mentioned, these were marketed as executive expresses, designed for the open road. An LSD was considered not required.
It certainly didn't slow them down in stock form. Ran the same 0-100 in 5.1 seconds in Wheels magazine as the XRT did.

Even with 300rwkw they still put the power down reasonably well with good tyres if you feed it in, and don't just mash it to the floor. 275 wide PS4S Michelins anyway. Great tyre.
Old 30-06-2022, 01:59 PM   #19
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Similarly, the 5.4L 3v (barra 220), which I think has a flatter torque curve than the XR8, did not come with LSD either (unless it was a manual, which was rare).

Again, I think it was just a differentiating factor, aside from body kit and interior. And the barra 220 was never marketed as a "performance" car.
I remember taking a BA XT 5.4 manual for a drive. Based on how it behaved trying to get out of the dealership quickly, definitely did not have an LSD. I had to wait until traffic was clear and pull out a little slower.
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-06-2022, 03:12 PM   #20
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Whats all this if you have an LSD you'll have grip nonsense
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-06-2022, 04:12 PM   #21
chevypower
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83 View Post
LSD = more grip for a better trip?
chevypower is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2022, 06:25 PM   #22
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevypower View Post
LSD = more grip for a better trip?
You missed my joke.
I have the ute in my signature.
Even standard with an LSD fitted grip is minimal.
Add some mods and T/C just throws its hands in the air
- Antz Turboside Intake
2 users like this post:
Old 30-06-2022, 06:27 PM   #23
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper Martini View Post
imagefb photo upload
Oh, yes, mine did an 11.8 the only time I took it out for a short gallop.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-06-2022, 06:49 PM   #24
DJM83
Proper Gearbox User
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper Martini View Post
imagefb photo upload
I agree.
But i also disagree.
With the way prices are with turbo falcons now, i think that desire to churn out massive power might have diminished.
Seems people wanting them prefer standard/less wild versions.
I know if i were buying again id want a standard one, as i did when i purchased mine.
- Antz Turboside Intake
2 users like this post:
Old 30-06-2022, 07:29 PM   #25
yanknbank
Very regular

I remember stamping my feet at the local Ford dealer when I found out that the G6ET came without the LSD, whilst on the lowly XR6T it was standard. “Not even an option? Really? FFS!”
Figured I’d ring Ford direct and got hold of some old buzzard deep in the bowels of the Ford factory who claimed she was part of the Direct Customer support/liaison team (or something similar) and she simply said “nyet”. Anyway, she ripped me a new one, told me I was more than a little forward in ringing the factory direct and then promptly terminated the call. She ended the call even quicker when I rang back next time!

So has it really matter not having the LSD? I can say after 14 years, not at all. The only issue was that initially when I had it, it spent a lot time travelling from point A to point B at warp 7 and it wore out a couple of sets or rears, one side wearing quicker than the other. These days it’s only driven on the odd occasion sedately around town when it’s pulled out of storage and the non existent LSD isn’t missed.

As an aside, took it for a rip down through the Adelaide hills over the last couple days to give it a descent run and they’re still a great vehicle to do a road trip in. It’s comfortable, has more than enough power when you want it, and it still feels planted through the wiggly bits. You wouldn’t think it was a 14 year old motor car.
Old 30-06-2022, 07:38 PM   #26
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
I agree.
But i also disagree.
With the way prices are with turbo falcons now, i think that desire to churn out massive power might have diminished.
Seems people wanting them prefer standard/less wild versions.
I know if i were buying again id want a standard one, as i did when i purchased mine.
First preference is always an unmodified car, even if you plan on modifying something yourself, better to know it's been done right yourself or by reputable places.

Unmodified stuff always has the higher price tag.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-07-2022, 06:58 AM   #27
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by yanknbank View Post
I remember stamping my feet at the local Ford dealer when I found out that the G6ET came without the LSD, whilst on the lowly XR6T it was standard. “Not even an option? Really? FFS!”
Figured I’d ring Ford direct and got hold of some old buzzard deep in the bowels of the Ford factory who claimed she was part of the Direct Customer support/liaison team (or something similar) and she simply said “nyet”. Anyway, she ripped me a new one, told me I was more than a little forward in ringing the factory direct and then promptly terminated the call. She ended the call even quicker when I rang back next time!

So has it really matter not having the LSD? I can say after 14 years, not at all. The only issue was that initially when I had it, it spent a lot time travelling from point A to point B at warp 7 and it wore out a couple of sets or rears, one side wearing quicker than the other. These days it’s only driven on the odd occasion sedately around town when it’s pulled out of storage and the non existent LSD isn’t missed.

As an aside, took it for a rip down through the Adelaide hills over the last couple days to give it a descent run and they’re still a great vehicle to do a road trip in. It’s comfortable, has more than enough power when you want it, and it still feels planted through the wiggly bits. You wouldn’t think it was a 14 year old motor car.
I remember seeing your posts when you first got it and I rang my dealer wanting to change the interior to Cashmere..too late and now reading this I miss it even more
2 users like this post:
Old 01-07-2022, 09:02 AM   #28
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
I'd assume it would have required its own unique DSC calibration.

It would have been a waste of money developing and maintaining it as an option given the likely uptake and little return of this option.

It would be similar to why BF FPV's never got DSC. FPV couldn't afford to develop a DSC tune for these vehicle combinations, so it remained a ABS/TCS braking system and advertised it as "real FPV drivers don't want/need an interfering stability control system".

If they couldn't afford to amortise it over all the cars they made then LSD as an option would be even less of a probable business case for the G6ET. So just save the money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
If was quite funny in my first few months of ownership in '08 and before the wider public really new what they were performance wise how much fun it was having SS drivers think they could overtake on the inside...should have handed out specs so they could read the red TURBO badging.
It was just as much fun and even longer lasting in my Force 6. The FPV badges were so tiny it looked like a de-badged XR6. So they kept trying and trying.

My favourite was coming off the old Kings Way exit in Melbourne with this d*ckhead in some clapped out VT or VX egging me on down the exit. I'd speed up and brake very late (because I could) all the way down the exit, semi normal driving for me while still having my bit of fun. It was early Saturday night, so traffic was a bit busy.

Get to the bottom of the exit and light turns yellow so I hammer through knowing I can make it and stop quickly behind the cars at the next set of lights. Thought I'd finally be free of d*ckhead.

But no, Mr Hero, d*ckhead of the clapped out Commo, attempted the same, but his brakes were nowhere as good and rammed the rear end of the car in the next lane at prob 30 or so km/h.

I remember just sitting there looking at him giggling while Mrs D*ckhead in the passenger seat ripped him a new one.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-07-2022, 12:06 PM   #29
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm79 View Post
I'd assume it would have required its own unique DSC calibration.

It would have been a waste of money developing and maintaining it as an option given the likely uptake and little return of this option.

It would be similar to why BF FPV's never got DSC. FPV couldn't afford to develop a DSC tune for these vehicle combinations, so it remained a ABS/TCS braking system and advertised it as "real FPV drivers don't want/need an interfering stability control system".

If they couldn't afford to amortise it over all the cars they made then LSD as an option would be even less of a probable business case for the G6ET. So just save the money.

I don't think an LSD changes the DSC calibration in anyway. The DSC reacts to what the vehicle is doing, not how it's doing it. XR6's had the option of LSD and I doubt they had separate calibrations. The diff isn't going to change the way the DSC pulls the vehicle back into line. From my understanding of it anyway.

FPV's were a different case on BF's because they had suspension/wheels etc that were different from XR. They had 19's and Brembo's when BF XR didn't have that option. Those 2 things do change the way the DSC would react, as it brakes individual wheels, and the 19's would have had different grip levels to the 18's.

I know one of the brake department engineers who does EBD and DSC calibration. I'll ask him next time I see him, if I remember.
Old 01-07-2022, 12:09 PM   #30
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Well you'll have at least a bit more grip on the left wheel

Better than none.