Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 29-06-2022, 10:28 PM   #1
XFISH98

Default AIR HORN will not work...........in my letterbox

Dear brains trust............I have a car air horn, that is not being used it's its conventional way of being in a car, but in my letter box. It is solely to be used to blow, when anybody but the postman goes near my letterbox. I have run the wires from my lounge room , through the front wall, under my pea gravel front yard and up into my letterbox. Now, When I hook it up directly to my spare battery, it will work as it should. But I have gone through JAYCAR and they suggested a simple transformer ( 240V / 12 v ), that i could attach to my wires, and nothing happened. I returned to the shop, then they suggested this.........12VDC 12.5 Switchmode Power Supply - Mains to Cigarette Lighter Socket https://www.jaycar.com.au/12vdc-12-5...ocket/p/MP3573

After wiring it in, I get a small /short 'toot' noise, the machine turns off...turns itself back on, gives another small 'toot' and turns off ( and repeat ). The wire I have run is 10 meters in length and in a 3amp gauge. Thinking, my horn was buggered again........i attached the spare car battery again..........and the horn works properly. What am I missing to make my horn blow. ? Agreeably, this is a very unconventional way to wire up a air horn.......but I get sick and tired of junk mail, and all the other **** that gets fed to my letterbox. I have a 'no junk mail' sign on my letterbox, and has been there for years..........any idea's? I have a security camera over my front yard, that show's my letterbox on my screens, hence when I know when someone in near my letterbox. I have a wi-fi power plug, that I can turn the power off/on via an app from my phone.
XFISH98 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2022, 10:34 PM   #2
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Re: AIR HORN will not work...........in my letterbox

Your PSU appears under-spec.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 29-06-2022, 10:34 PM   #3
XFISH98

I used this in the cigarette lighter, I cut the ends off and plugged the cords into the wire fed to my letterbox.....https://www.jaycar.com.au/high-curre...554cddfaaf51de
Old 29-06-2022, 10:41 PM   #4
XFISH98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Your PSU appears under-spec.
Exactly........but they sell this 'power supply' as it's possible to run camping fridges. I've gone through the catalogue and have found this adapter. Surely this should push the power....https://www.jaycar.com.au/24v-dc-1-2...plugs/p/MP3494 or even this..........https://www.jaycar.com.au/24vdc-2-5a...plugs/p/MP3562

Last edited by XFISH98; 29-06-2022 at 10:48 PM.
Old 29-06-2022, 10:42 PM   #5
jstanovic
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The air home compressor uses a bit of power and requires a decent power supply to make it work. Any specs on the air horn? What size fuse does it come with?
jstanovic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2022, 10:53 PM   #6
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Most seem to come with a 30A relay and I set them with “25A” wire as Jaycar call it. 41/0,3mm spec.
20A blade fuse, with inline fuse holder.
As the PSU will power a camping fridge, what about leaving the postie a chilled beverage in exchange for him managing the junk mail?

Edit: Rough calculations suggest 2 gauge wire for that distance, but realistically 4 will probably. work.

Last edited by Citroënbender; 29-06-2022 at 11:17 PM.
Old 30-06-2022, 01:01 AM   #7
XFISH98

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstanovic View Post
The air home compressor uses a bit of power and requires a decent power supply to make it work. Any specs on the air horn? What size fuse does it come with?
This one........https://www.walmart.com/ip/12V-Dual-...rain/507631186
Old 30-06-2022, 01:15 AM   #8
XFISH98

Well, the one thing that definitely will make the horn work is my spare battery, which is a yellow top optima. I've had it 2 years in my garage, and still holds good charge. I had the idea ( originally ) of setting it up as the main power supply for the horn, and using the house power through and adaptor as the trigger for the relay. But the idea of having a battery sitting in my front lounge room is a bit unorthodox ( though could probably find a place to hide it ). And it's not like I'd be blowing the horn on a daily basis ( though I'd probably catch 1 person trying every week at least sticking something in my letterbox) the battery would be just fine too. But since trying to just set it up to be powered by house power........it's been problem after problem.
Old 30-06-2022, 07:35 PM   #9
Itsme
Experienced Member

I can see a bad outcome from this airhorn of yours, best to give up on this project before you give someone a heat attack or worse still someone giving you a hiding.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 30-06-2022, 08:16 PM   #10
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Most cheapie air horns are 30 amp, so your 3 amp wire will be no good especially over that distance, most of the 12V power supplies that Jaycar sell dont have enough amps to power anything more than 10 amps, most of the people that work for Jaycar would not have a clue about electronics so its not worth asking them unless you jag a actual electronic enthusiast that works for them (few and far between).

You would need a power supply 30 amps or more, this one would do the job but you would need to upgrade the wire feeding the horn as the initial start up of the horn would pull the full 30 amps, https://www.jaycar.com.au/13-8v-40a-...upply/p/MP3089

I find Australia post sticking most of the junk mail I get in my letter box.
prktkljokr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-06-2022, 08:31 PM   #11
Blue Ice
Living the Dream

Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsme View Post
I can see a bad outcome from this airhorn of yours, best to give up on this project before you give someone a heat attack or worse still someone giving you a hiding.

This....

Sounds like a surefire way to have something smashed or thrown through your front windows....
Blue Ice is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-06-2022, 10:10 PM   #12
XFISH98

Looks good prktkljokr, We'll give this a shot.
Quote:
Originally Posted by prktkljokr View Post
Most cheapie air horns are 30 amp, so your 3 amp wire will be no good especially over that distance, most of the 12V power supplies that Jaycar sell dont have enough amps to power anything more than 10 amps, most of the people that work for Jaycar would not have a clue about electronics so its not worth asking them unless you jag a actual electronic enthusiast that works for them (few and far between).

You would need a power supply 30 amps or more, this one would do the job but you would need to upgrade the wire feeding the horn as the initial start up of the horn would pull the full 30 amps, https://www.jaycar.com.au/13-8v-40a-...upply/p/MP3089

I find Australia post sticking most of the junk mail I get in my letter box.
Old 30-06-2022, 10:12 PM   #13
XFISH98

LOL....They can throw all they want, brick walls and roller shutters can take a few hits..........
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ice View Post
This....

Sounds like a surefire way to have something smashed or thrown through your front windows....
Old 30-06-2022, 10:50 PM   #14
marty351
Shenanigans..............

Depending on the frequency of your unwanted visitors, the neighbours may be objectionable to the method employed here. (just saying)
marty351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2022, 08:17 AM   #15
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Middle aged woman and her teenage kid do the junk mail rounds in my area. Was out front one day when they were delivering, asked them to only leave the Liquorland catalogue and keep the rest for my house. That's what they now do - figure if I'd asked them to leave nothing they'd probably do that too.

Have you tried having a civil chat with them?
Mulva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-07-2022, 08:27 AM   #16
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Around my area, kids would bang on the letterbox out of hours, just to set off the horn.

With almost $400 in 20m of 4GA wire and a $220 PSU to fire a $30 horn I think the project is resource-heavy with respect to its possible benefits.
4 users like this post:
Old 01-07-2022, 10:23 PM   #17
XFISH98

Have you tried having a civil chat with them?

Yes, we have. While digging the trench to my letterbox ( over 3 weeks ago ), I had 3 different people attend my letterbox and kindly asked them to read the 'no junk mail' sign on my letterbox, and since then......I have had not received any junkmail to speak of. So, honestly, the problem may have already been resolved. Though, .......that dosent mean there's no chance of it happening again. In the last 6 months............if the postman dosent push my mail into the letterbox, and it hangs out the front of the letterbox, I've had 2 people approach my letterbox to pull this mail outwards, and I have come out running and they were quick to disappear. My neighbourhood isnt a bad neighbourhood rally..but all my neighbours have all complained of having mail stolen. Also, with the horn, I ran wires for 3 other harness's for 3 camera's. One for in the letterbox, with motion sensor.......and one for each 30 foot tree on my front fenceline - looking directly at the letterbox to capture any thieves. So as of now, I can get a sensor trigger on my phone for when mail has arrived. Is this set- up over the top.......absolutely 100%. I've already had 2 neighbours request i do the same for them...... and the horn isnt directly there to scare the undesirable person away. It's to alert the neigbours of a possible thief in the area if blown. We all are not home at the same time......but we help each other when can.........apart from my neighbour 3 doors up whom was taken away by the police 3 days ago.
Old 01-07-2022, 10:39 PM   #18
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

Quote:
Originally Posted by XFISH98 View Post
apart from my neighbour 3 doors up whom was taken away by the police 3 days ago.
Well that's the mail theft taken care of
prktkljokr is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-07-2022, 10:49 PM   #19
XFISH98

Quote:
Originally Posted by prktkljokr View Post
Well that's the mail theft taken care of
LOL.....it wasnt him. He was friendly upto 4 months ago ( I've known him for years ) until he started doing meth and silly things with it.
Old 01-07-2022, 10:54 PM   #20
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think you need a hobby.

Ever thought to just get the junk mail and put it into the recycle bin on your way past?

It really does not seem like an issue.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2022, 11:59 PM   #21
LUV DE COUPE

Place battery in a pit in the ground next to letterbox and operate via a relay.
LUV DE COUPE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2022, 09:55 AM   #22
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willingly providing technical info and documents, despite glitches. 

Have you thought about changing your mail delivery such that you get everything via email?

Would be much cheaper and faaaar less stressful than what your current situation sounds.

Another benefit is that you can do away with your letterbox entirely, meaning that the junk mail deliverers will simply just skip delivering anything to your place.

No theft. No unwanted junk mail. No need for wires, cameras or air horns. Problem solved.

Life is a journey, not a destination.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Daily: 2013 FGII EcoLPi in Winter White
Play: 2015 FG X XR8 in Emperor Show' N Shine thread

Gone, but not forgotten: 2015 SZII petrol Titanium Territory in Emperor
FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2022, 10:42 AM   #23
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
LOL....They can throw all they want, brick walls and roller shutters can take a few hits..........
Quote:
I've had 2 people approach my letterbox to pull this mail outwards, and I have come out running and they were quick to disappear.
My neighbourhood isnt a bad neighbourhood rally..but all my neighbours have all complained of having mail stolen. Also, with the horn, I ran wires for 3 other harness's for 3 camera's. One for in the letterbox, with motion sensor.......and one for each 30 foot tree on my front fenceline - looking directly at the letterbox to capture any thieves. So as of now, I can get a sensor trigger on my phone for when mail has arrived. Is this set- up over the top.......absolutely 100%. I've already had 2 neighbours request i do the same for them...... and the horn isnt directly there to scare the undesirable person away. It's to alert the neigbours of a possible thief in the area if blown. We all are not home at the same time......but we help each other when can.........apart from my neighbour 3 doors up whom was taken away by the police 3 days ago.
If you don't think that yours is a bad neighbourhood I'd hate to see your idea of a bad one
Old 02-07-2022, 04:38 PM   #24
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post
Have you thought about changing your mail delivery such that you get everything via email?

Would be much cheaper and faaaar less stressful than what your current situation sounds.

Another benefit is that you can do away with your letterbox entirely, meaning that the junk mail deliverers will simply just skip delivering anything to your place.

No theft. No unwanted junk mail. No need for wires, cameras or air horns. Problem solved.
One of my neighbours in the street took away his letterbox then had all the catalogues pushed in bushes or strewn on the lawn, letterbox was quickly resurrected for junk mail

Junk mail and hawkers are scourge of society.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-07-2022, 07:53 PM   #25
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Have you considered one of those proximity frogs, which sit on the ground, and 'croak' 'croak' 'croak' when someone approaches.

https://www.amazon.com/Bits-Pieces-R...dp/B00VRW4RCC/

think of the hours of joy you will get as people wtf
Old 03-07-2022, 04:59 PM   #26
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by FoxtrotGolfXray 5.0 View Post

Yep or PO box, easy.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-07-2022, 10:33 PM   #27
XFISH98

North of the river suburb 'BALGA' is one of the worst crime suburbs, with Armadale ( south of the river ) worst in the south with lots of criminal activities. Anybody in perth have heard of these suburbs as crime capitals............with rockingham coming in a hot 3rd place. And I live no-where near these area's. I live opposite 3 football fields that are always filled with all different nationalities - people playing soccer , volley ball and plenty of yoga/Pilates ( which my elderly neighbour likes to watch in his chair )classes in the morning. It only takes a few ****WITS to ruin the area.......but since starting this thread, I've had no junk mail even though the horn is now wired up and ready to go. Here's the vid to show....clicky clicky...https://www.youtube.com/shorts/KutpByEK_wE This whole operation was to scare the people delivering junk mail and other small notices. I once had a pamphlet delivered , stating they cut lawns at low prices................I dont have any grass on my property to speak of. I only had probably 2 pieces of mail go missing in the 10 years I've been there.............but my neighbours complain all the time. And I've thought of having all bills changed to emails, but i like my paper bills. I mess up my emails already enough, without worrying about bills coming through.

Last edited by XFISH98; 08-07-2022 at 10:46 PM.