Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 17-05-2022, 09:54 PM   #901
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Russia v Ukraine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulva View Post

Like this article of his from just 2 months prior to the invasion, where he says Russia will not invade and it is all a crisis being manufactured by the US and NATO who were over-reacting to Russia's build-up of forces on Ukrainian border: https://www.rt.com/op-ed/542214-russ...-ukraine-nato/
lol im not here to have a tit for tat with you on this guy. No one is infallible. No body has been able to predict all that has transpired with 100% accuracy.
If there is another source out there, with similar experience, who is willing to break down the analysis into logical steps, and share it with the public, I'll happily listen. I'm interested in piecing all this together, not barracking for a side.

He got Mariupol right, when until recently, the popular opinion was that the Russians would be pushed back. And unlike what we've been told, his opinion from the beginning was that Kiyv and Kharkiv was not a primary objective (I think?), that now seems about right. He has said Donbas is the objective, lets see what transpires.

Very easy to nit pick on what is a very fast moving and complex scenario. Plenty got it wrong from the start, even on this side of the ledger.

https://www.aljazeera.com/opinions/2...invade-ukraine

https://pursuit.unimelb.edu.au/artic...e-ukraine-soon

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-60468264

https://www.atlanticcouncil.org/blog...nvade-ukraine/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mulva View Post
I know two electricians with same qualification and same number of years experience as each other - yet one is very much better at their job than the other. To me, Ritter is starting to look like the sparky most likely to electrocute himself
I bet you the other sparky is still more qualified than some journo or AFF member sitting on the other side of the planet with no electrical experience.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.

Last edited by T3rminator; 17-05-2022 at 09:59 PM.
This user likes this post:
Old 17-05-2022, 09:57 PM   #902
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
As a student of armoured warfare I find it interesting that nearly 100% of putinland armoured vehicles pop their turrets when struck by any ordinance. Do they have ammunition storage issues?
You know they do.

Unlike well designed (robust) Western tanks, Russian tanks carry ammunition in their turrets. This flaw means the Russian tank crews are sitting ducks and get fried every time their obsolete tanks get hit by modern anti tank weapons.

The funny thing is they’ve rebranded the Rubbish T-72 as the T-90 after the Iraq war (after no one would purchase their tanks anymore, I don’t know if India knew this ).
2 users like this post:
Old 17-05-2022, 10:08 PM   #903
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
You know they do.

Unlike well designed (robust) Western tanks, Russian tanks carry ammunition in their turrets. This flaw means the Russian tank crews are sitting ducks and get fried every time their obsolete tanks get hit by modern anti tank weapons.

The funny thing is they’ve rebranded the Rubbish T-72 as the T-90 after the Iraq war (after no one would purchase their tanks anymore, I don’t know if India knew this ).

I know tanks are now largely about as relevant as battleships but wouldn’t it have been interesting to have one last modern day Kursk, pitting the jack in the boxes versus Leopard 2A7, South Korea’s Black Panther, M1A2 and Challenger 2.
Old 17-05-2022, 10:09 PM   #904
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
As a student of armoured warfare I find it interesting that nearly 100% of putinland armoured vehicles pop their turrets when struck by any ordinance. Do they have ammunition storage issues?
Can you imagine a British Challenger 2, a German Leopard 2A6, or a M1A2 Abrams SEP 3 coming up against this Russian junk ?

It’d be carnage.
2 users like this post:
Old 17-05-2022, 10:10 PM   #905
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
I know tanks are now largely about as relevant as battleships but wouldn’t it have been interesting to have one last modern day Kursk, pitting the jack in the boxes versus Leopard 2A7, South Korea’s Black Panther, M1A2 and Challenger 2.
Good to see you know what you’re talking about mate !
Old 17-05-2022, 10:11 PM   #906
PhilT2

Latest report is that 260 were evacuated from the Azovstal steelworks, 53 with serious injuries, the others less injured. Estimates vary but it is claimed only a few hundred remain at the plant but they will be removed in the next few days. All are going to Russian held parts of Ukraine as prisoners of war. The Ukrainians claim to hold about a thousand Russian prisoners and are hoping a swap can be arranged.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hHryfoPZ-Vg

I don't know what the deciding factor was that made them decide to give up now. They must have known for some time that rescue was not going to happen. Some efforts were made to resupply them but they failed. Food and ammo might have just run out. But they have achieved their objective; they kept thousands of Russians tied up for weeks, giving the rest of the Ukrainian army time to stock up on hardware from the west. These troops were the Azov battalion and part of the reason they held out so long is said to be that they suspected that the Russians would not accept surrender and shoot them regardless.

This could give Putin the "off ramp" that I hope he is looking for. He can claim to have finally captured the Nazis that he went there to get so now they can all go home. Won't happen of course but nice if it did.
Old 17-05-2022, 10:11 PM   #907
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yep, the flaw is their auto-loader system that has their rounds stored in the turret with the crew - you can clearly see the turret go skyward in this explosion

WARNING: Likely loss of life in below video.

Old 17-05-2022, 10:14 PM   #908
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:

And your good self sir
Old 17-05-2022, 10:15 PM   #909
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

While it’s a bit irrational in respect of the realities of military engagement, I have a great sense of sadness for the tank crews. By now they would be under no illusions as to the risks.
3 users like this post:
Old 17-05-2022, 10:15 PM   #910
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhilT2 View Post
Has the steelworks in Mariupol actually been taken?
Yep, Azov a few hours ago.
Old 17-05-2022, 10:16 PM   #911
Mulva
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
While it’s a bit irrational in respect of the realities of military engagement, I have a great sense of sadness for the tank crews. By now they would be under no illusions as to the risks.
If we are to believe some of the intercepted phone calls, many are sabotaging their tanks to avoid battle, like putting sand in fuel.
Old 17-05-2022, 10:19 PM   #912
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
And your good self sir
Good on you bloke !
Old 17-05-2022, 10:24 PM   #913
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
It’d be a massacre.
Old 17-05-2022, 10:50 PM   #914
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

From a crazy Canadian friend who pinched it from one of their newspapers.

Old 17-05-2022, 10:54 PM   #915
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
From a crazy Canadian friend who pinched it from one of their newspapers.

Perfect

That’s what we’re talking about.
Old 17-05-2022, 11:13 PM   #916
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
I would dare say any service personal in modern warfare is under no illusions of what risks await for them, depends on who you are fighting.
Old 17-05-2022, 11:33 PM   #917
Cav
HUGH JARSE
Donating Member2

So anyway, who's winning?
2 users like this post:
Old 18-05-2022, 12:00 AM   #918
JasonACT
Away on leave

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Outstanding work on the FG ICC issues. Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: The insane amount of work he has put into the Falcon FG ICC is unbelievable. He has shared everything he has done and made a great deal of it available to us all. He has definitely helped a great deal of us with no personal gains to himself. 

GasoLane
3 users like this post:
Old 18-05-2022, 07:18 AM   #919
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Don't get him started on financial advice.......
4 users like this post:
Old 18-05-2022, 10:05 AM   #920
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Another small piece on the problems with current era Russian tanks; noting the date of writing - a prescient article, it seems.

https://www.19fortyfive.com/2021/10/...-a-fatal-flaw/

Also interesting to read (elsewhere) how an objection as that fostered by Turkey to prospective new members of NATO, cannot simply be skirted around by declaring a current member an “ex member” via unanimity less one.
Old 18-05-2022, 11:15 AM   #921
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cav View Post
So anyway, who's winning?
Carn Cav, the correct answer is "there are no winners in war".

Rides (past and present)
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

2 users like this post:
Old 19-05-2022, 01:17 AM   #922
asagaai
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
You know they do.

The T72 and T 90 have a carousel shell carrier in the crew compartment at the base of the turret that carries rounds. It is a self loader, so the tanks only need 3 crew, and tanks can be smaller.

Trouble is any missile/rpg breach into the crew compartment area can cause ignition of the shells held in the carousel, and the ensuing detonation causes high pressure and the only release is for the turret to pop like a champagne cork. I have seen a photo of a T72 turret that blew off 20 metres from the tank with the mangled remains of a crewman still in the turret/hatch.

The Tanks like the Abrahams M1 carry their storage of shells in a large armoured bin at the rear of the turret. It is not a self loader, so needs 4 crewman. The crewman inside the main crew compartment opens an armoured hatch to the armoured bin, to retrieve a shell, shuts hatch, loads gun and fires, and then repeats process. If a shell breaches the crew compartment, will be only 1 or 2 shells exposed.

If the armoured bin with shells is breached, the rear of the bin has thinner armour that is designed to vent the blast out away from the crew compartment.

The Russians designed their tanks to be made cheaply, with the idea that 3 T72s would take out 1 Abrahams M1, and by sheer numbers they would defeat USA tanks.

Russians place no value in their soldiers lives so it was not a consideration for crew safety.

Ford Fiesta ST Mk 8 -daily- closest thing to a go kart on road for under 50K

FG X XR8 smoke manual - Miami hand built masterpiece by David Winter, BMC Filter, JLT Oil separators, Street Fighter Intercooler Stage 2, crushed ball, running 15% E85 and 85% 98- weekender
2 users like this post:
Old 19-05-2022, 12:12 PM   #923
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Strong words from the Turkish president on the new NATO applicants. If he doesn't change his tune, he may suddenly disappear from parliament through a mysterious vote of no confidence, or by some other means.

https://www.aei.org/foreign-and-defe...mands-to-nato/

List of demands:

Quote:
NATO should classify not only the Kurdistan Workers’ Party (PKK) but also the Syrian Defense Forces (SDF) and the Fetullah Terrorist Organization (FETO) in the alliance’s list of threats.

The United States should then extradite Pennsylvania-based dissident cleric Fethullah Gülen to Turkey.

All NATO members, including Sweden and Finland, must cease any activity by the PKK, SDF, or FETO on their territories.

The United States and other NATO bodies must lift all sanctions related to Turkey’s purchase of the S-400, including sanctions upon the Turkish Defense Industry Directorate.

Turkey would not only receive the new F-16s and upgrade kits for its existing fleet, but Turkey will also be able to rejoin the F-35 program from which it was expelled after activating the Russian S-400s.

Lastly, the United States would cease preventing Turkey from exporting military products containing Western components.

Rides (past and present)

Old 19-05-2022, 05:08 PM   #924
burnz
VFII SS UTE

Russian napalm rocket used..

https://www.the-sun.com/news/4778173...ading-ukraine/
Old 19-05-2022, 05:29 PM   #925
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by burnz View Post
Please leave the clickbait to the media.

Other that 'The Sun' not being the most reliable source of reliable information that page says nothing about it being used.
Old 19-05-2022, 06:27 PM   #926
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Please leave the clickbait to the media.

Other that 'The Sun' not being the most reliable source of reliable information that page says nothing about it being used.
They’re blown up in muddy ditches, it’s a shame that story is almost 3 months old
Old 19-05-2022, 06:32 PM   #927
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Finally, a car story for this thread!

Russia needs cars, so it's rebooting this Soviet-era brand

Quote:
(CNN)After Renault announced its departure this week from the Russian auto market amid the country's war with Ukraine, Moscow's mayor announced its factory will be used to restart the defunct Soviet-era Moskvich car brand.
https://edition.cnn.com/2022/05/17/b...ich/index.html
2 users like this post:
Old 19-05-2022, 06:34 PM   #928
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:

This will be hilarious
Old 19-05-2022, 06:41 PM   #929
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:

They need Kamaz designers and techs, because you can't kill those things.
Old 19-05-2022, 06:48 PM   #930
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Think Renault sold it for a nominal 1 ruble, with an option to claw back within 6 years. Good luck!

Rides (past and present)

Closed Thread