Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 07-06-2022, 02:23 AM   #1
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default New Amarok

You have to love the spin of the Car Makers.
I remember reading a spokesperson from VW spinning on how different the Amarok will be from the Ranger.

According to two articles I have read the 2 and 3 Litre Diesels are Ford engines.
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2022, 07:04 AM   #2
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 
Default Re: New Amarok

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBSXR6 View Post
You have to love the spin of the Car Makers.
I remember reading a spokesperson from VW spinning on how different the Amarok will be from the Ranger.

According to two articles I have read the 2 and 3 Litre Diesels are Ford engines.
They are and as discussed here several times, Amorok is all Ranger under the skin,
the Germans loved what Ford was doing, signed up because it saved them lots of money.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2022, 10:24 AM   #3
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

to a customer they will be different. Visually the interior is unique and the exterior trim even if most body panels are common. I imagine there will also be a unique tune for steering and suspension too, so the driving feel will be different.

if you can't see it, it will be common. all the touchy feely stuff will be unique.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 07-06-2022, 10:43 AM   #4
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Carmakers are getting very good at doing this, the Heart & bones of the car will be the same but otherwise they will appear and feel different.

The BMW Z4 & Toyota Supra is an example of how it can be done, it probably wont be that extreme but this Amarok will be a different car to drive than the Ranger.
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2022, 11:22 AM   #5
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
to a customer they will be different. Visually the interior is unique and the exterior trim even if most body panels are common. I imagine there will also be a unique tune for steering and suspension too, so the driving feel will be different.

if you can't see it, it will be common. all the touchy feely stuff will be unique.
I'm more curious on how VW price it....unlike their German cousins at MB they have hindsight to learn from however just charging more because the badge has German heritage will be difficult if there isn't much to justify it

It's not like their servicing will be cheaper, dealership numbers greater, rear tubs in both will hold a standard Aussie pallet and while the X-class had a V6 and the donor Navara didn't, this is a case of the donor vehicle probably going to be best in class until all new models from the competition arrive.. and even then Ranger outshone most in the last few years anyway when newer opposition came to the market.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2022, 12:35 PM   #6
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Smith View Post
I'm more curious on how VW price it....unlike their German cousins at MB they have hindsight to learn from however just charging more because the badge has German heritage will be difficult if there isn't much to justify it

It's not like their servicing will be cheaper, dealership numbers greater, rear tubs in both will hold a standard Aussie pallet and while the X-class had a V6 and the donor Navara didn't, this is a case of the donor vehicle probably going to be best in class until all new models from the competition arrive.. and even then Ranger outshone most in the last few years anyway when newer opposition came to the market.
It will be interesting to see how the Amarok goes. Especially if it looks better than the Ranger.
naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2022, 12:37 PM   #7
naddis01
\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/

naddis01 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 07-06-2022, 12:41 PM   #8
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Buy Amarok, take to Ford dealership for half price dealership servicing
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-06-2022, 01:15 PM   #9
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Buy Amarok, take to Ford dealership for half price dealership servicing
A mate used to work for a Ford Dealer during the Nissan Model Sharing era.
He told me Nissan Owners were buying some Ford boxed parts for their Patrols as they were cheaper than Nissan boxed parts.
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-06-2022, 02:17 PM   #10
FTE217
T3/Sprint8
Donating Member2

I have to say and we all know the previous shared platform IMO the outgoing Rok Highlines V6 etc was the pick of the crop incl the W580 were great bit of kit to me.
The interior was the best looking of all the dual cabs.
I look forward seeing the Ranger based one, made in Fords Sth African plant.
I reckon it will look great.
"Don't believe everything you read on the internet. Abraham Lincoln"
FTE217 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2022, 05:59 PM   #11
Cobra
Bear with a sore head

It's a shame VW didn't use their existing V6 with the 8-speed transmission. I think the Ranger driveline will be great, however, the previous model Amarok will remain every bit as capable, and the company's own running gear would have provided a point of difference.
Cobra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2022, 06:10 PM   #12
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cobra View Post
It's a shame VW didn't use their existing V6 with the 8-speed transmission. I think the Ranger driveline will be great, however, the previous model Amarok will remain every bit as capable, and the company's own running gear would have provided a point of difference.
This isn’t a VW program, so there was no option to “use their existing V6 with the 8 speed Transmission”.

This is a Ford Program, run here in Australia, with Ford Engineers.
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-06-2022, 06:33 PM   #13
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
The best part is taking your new T6 Amorok to a Ford dealership and get the services done for half or third price.
Old 08-06-2022, 11:10 AM   #14
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Why?
The Ford has more power & with 10 speed will just be better.
or are you saying the car will sell better if it has an engine wearing the same badge as the bodywork?

PS the V6 in the Amarok was an Audi engine.

point being not many care or would even notice
Old 08-06-2022, 12:12 PM   #15
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vesper Martini View Post
Why?
or are you saying the car will sell better if it has an engine wearing the same badge as the bodywork?

I think part of this is the VW V6 tdi/8-speed auto was a really well matched and calibrated powertrain.

I've read in recent reviews of Ford US SUV'S on their MY23 releases like the upgraded Expedition that the Ford 10-speed auto has improved smoothness/calibrations after continuous tweaking so hopefully the Ford Aust. engineers, having had much more time have also been able to improve calibrations for the Ranger & Everest.

Plus IIRC, the VW Amarok had overboost so technically it can hit 190kW and so is slightly more powerful ...not that you would notice unless you had a backside sensitive enough.
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2022, 03:38 PM   #16
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
I think part of this is the VW V6 tdi/8-speed auto was a really well matched and calibrated powertrain.

I've read in recent reviews of Ford US SUV'S on their MY23 releases like the upgraded Expedition that the Ford 10-speed auto has improved smoothness/calibrations after continuous tweaking so hopefully the Ford Aust. engineers, having had much more time have also been able to improve calibrations for the Ranger & Everest.

Plus IIRC, the VW Amarok had overboost so technically it can hit 190kW and so is slightly more powerful ...not that you would notice unless you had a backside sensitive enough.
Wasn’t there two calibrations, the normal 165Kw/550 nm and the 190Kw/580 nm only available on the top trim?
Old 08-06-2022, 03:45 PM   #17
Hulsty

One thing I never knew if you could get a manual behind the Amarok V6, bloke at work has one.
Hulsty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2022, 04:50 PM   #18
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Why?

With VAG going all in on EV’s, their v6 tdi is probably not long for this world anyway.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-06-2022, 05:51 PM   #19
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:

I think the 10 speed will work well with the V6. I actually don't mind it behind the 2.0 Bi-Turbo but with the extra grunt from the V6, I imagine it will be calibrated to hold gears and use the torque rather than down shifting to keep the smaller engine on boost.

I think another thing in favor of the Ford diesel V6 over the VW version is that it was tailored for heavy duty use in the F-150.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post:
Old 09-06-2022, 03:09 PM   #20
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hulsty View Post
One thing I never knew if you could get a manual behind the Amarok V6, bloke at work has one.
again why?, I mean I love a manual in a sports car but
Old 09-06-2022, 03:17 PM   #21
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
Wasn’t there two calibrations, the normal 165Kw/550 nm and the 190Kw/580 nm only available on the top trim?
and the Ranger will have 600NM which is everything in a diesel plus the 10 speed to keep it in that power band.
its the Kilowatts produced at Peak torque that is relevant.

for example the Territory I had supposedly had 140KW but you had to wring its neck to reach that, in reality you only using 120KW at gear shifts
Old 10-06-2022, 08:26 PM   #22
GT2

Will the new Amarok be constant AWD?
GT2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-06-2022, 11:25 AM   #23
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
and the Ranger will have 600NM which is everything in a diesel plus the 10 speed to keep it in that power band.
its the Kilowatts produced at Peak torque that is relevant.

for example the Territory I had supposedly had 140KW but you had to wring its neck to reach that, in reality you only using 120KW at gear shifts
The 2.7 in Territory was an early Lion V6 (17.3:1) before they went to higher pressure injection
and higher boost, it made 140 Kw at a lowly 3250 rpm and peak torque 440 nm at just 1900 rpm..
Honestly, the biturbo 2.0 diesel puts the early 2.7 Lion and 3.2 Puma to shame
with 147 Kw @ 3,000 / 470 nm @ 1,750-2,500. Even the base 2.0 is 135 Kw/430 nm.

Could you imagine a 3.0 I-6 turbo built on the Puma I-4 with 220 kw and 700 nm…
(pretty much what the GM 3.0 I-6 diesel is)

By comparison,
Amorok - 165 Kw @ 3,250 / 550 nm @ 1400
Amorok - 190 Kw @ 3,250 / 580 nm @ 1400

Ford 3.0 Powerstroke (16.4:1)
- 184 Kw @ 3250 / 600 nm @ 1750

I agree, the 184 Kw Powerstroke V6 is a more usable engine and will easily replace Amorok’s 190 kw V6.
With an effective rev range from 1,200 to 3,200, the diesels show their real worth in 1,500 to 2,500 zone.

As a foot note,
Years ago J/LR had a twin turbo 3.0 V6 that was 225 Kw @ 4,000 /700 nm @ 1,500-1,750
I’m sure that a tune on the 3.0 Powerstroke would see near those figures…

Last edited by jpd80; 11-06-2022 at 11:52 AM.
2 users like this post:
Old 11-06-2022, 12:05 PM   #24
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT2 View Post
Will the new Amarok be constant AWD?
I’m sure there will be a choice just like the new Ranger will offer,
Quote:
Ford adds that buyers will have a choice of two four-wheel drive systems: a part-time electronic shift-on-the-fly system like the current model, or a new full-time 4×4 system with a set-and-forget mode.
Old 11-06-2022, 06:41 PM   #25
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

Quote:
The 2.7 in Territory was an early Lion V6 (17.3:1) before they went to higher pressure injection
and higher boost, it made 140 Kw at a lowly 3250 rpm and peak torque 440 nm at just 1900 rpm..
Having driven a 2.7, I know which engine I would prefer, even with it's low power output. That engine was so refined.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-06-2022, 11:54 AM   #26
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Having driven a 2.7, I know which engine I would prefer, even with it's low power output. That engine was so refined.
The 3.0 is even better. Seriously, it’s hard to even pick it as a diesel. Diesel clatter is nearly non existent. It’s almost hilarious the racket a 3.2 puts out compared to the 3.0.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 12-06-2022, 02:08 PM   #27
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFB FGXR6 View Post
Back then, there was nothing like the 2.0 biturbo diesel engine in the current Ranger, just an example of increased efficiency. Heck, Ranger is only just getting a V6 diesel now, imagine the 2.7 in it back in 2011, everyone would have called it a car because of the smoothness of that engine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8
The 3.0 is even better. Seriously, it’s hard to even pick it as a diesel. Diesel clatter is nearly non existent. It’s almost hilarious the racket a 3.2 puts out compared to the 3.0.
And I’m so glad that Terry got the V6 diesel for the refinement, a Ranger truck engine wouldn’t have done justice…
Sad in a way that Ford went the lpg and 2.0 Ecoboost in Falcon as I have a hunch the V6 diesel woulda been better
in oh so many ways that would have meant more to sedan Ute and station wagon sales, a better fit IMO…..

Last edited by jpd80; 12-06-2022 at 02:14 PM.
4 users like this post:
Old 14-06-2022, 08:58 PM   #28
GT2

Quote:

Could you imagine a 3.0 I-6 turbo built on the Puma I-4 with 220 kw and 700 nm…
(pretty much what the GM 3.0 I-6 diesel is)

By comparison,
Amorok - 165 Kw @ 3,250 / 550 nm @ 1400
Amorok - 190 Kw @ 3,250 / 580 nm @ 1400

Ford 3.0 Powerstroke (16.4:1)
- 184 Kw @ 3250 / 600 nm @ 1750

I agree, the 184 Kw Powerstroke V6 is a more usable engine and will easily replace Amorok’s 190 kw V6.
With an effective rev range from 1,200 to 3,200, the diesels show their real worth in 1,500 to 2,500 zone.

As a foot note,
Years ago J/LR had a twin turbo 3.0 V6 that was 225 Kw @ 4,000 /700 nm @ 1,500-1,750
I’m sure that a tune on the 3.0 Powerstroke would see near those figures…
I currently have a 165kw Amarok and a 225kw Range Rover Sport. I drive both regularly and use both to tow a 2.5t car trailer. Range Rover is obviously smoother and quieter. Engine wise they are quite different but I just can’t seem to favour engine over the other.
GT2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 22-06-2022, 09:48 PM   #29
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

VW also have pretty much the Amarok V6 in the a few VW group cars as a twin turbo. 240kw 650 to 700odd nm.
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2022, 05:10 PM   #30
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by EDManual View Post
VW also have pretty much the Amarok V6 in the a few VW group cars as a twin turbo. 240kw 650 to 700odd nm.
The truth is that it was actually an Audi V6 that was installed in the Amorok Ute but yeah,
Jaguar/Land Rover did similar years ago with a 300 hp TT version of the Lion V6.
I’m waiting for the first balls out twin turbo set up on a Ranger to put the wind up
unsuspecting Ranger Raptors…..