Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-06-2022, 02:10 PM   #1
csv8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Exclamation Ford culls Focus 2025

“Production of the current Ford Focus small car will end in 2025 – and there's no immediate sign of a successor, as the car maker moves towards an electric future.

The final fourth-generation Focus cars will roll out of the factory doors in Saarlouis, Germany in 2025, Ford of Europe boss Stuart Rowley told European media overnight, with no "additional model" planned for the plant's assembly lines afterwards.

Ford is yet to confirm if the Focus will continue on as an electric car – though with declining sales of small hatchbacks in Europe and abroad, and the death of the smaller Fiesta in the coming years, it's no certainty.“
https://www.drive.com.au/news/ford-f...e-1486011211f9
Old 23-06-2022, 02:15 PM   #2
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Ford culls Focus 2025

The future sucks, looks like our only options going forward are:

- Lame *** small 'SUV'
- Lame *** medium SUV
- Lame *** big SUV
- Lame *** diesel Thailand Special

I dislike SUVs, usually based on a smaller platform with the same drive line, so it handles worse, uses more fuel and is slower, the only ones I like are the large ones like the Chevrolet Suburban
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2022, 02:22 PM   #3
PepeLePew
Workshop & Performance

I'd love to grab a final ICE ST, but it may have analog dials, a carb, a Ferris cassette player and bench seats by the time final production starts unless the Russians pull their heads in.

Alpine 7909 30th/Alpine 5959/Audison Bitone.1/DLS Ultimate A6+A7/ Focal KRX2/Morel Ultimo 12/AudioEngine B1
A stereo that happens to have a XR5 wrapped around it
PepeLePew is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 23-06-2022, 02:49 PM   #4
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
The future sucks, looks like our only options going forward are:

- Lame *** small 'SUV'
- Lame *** medium SUV
- Lame *** big SUV
- Lame *** diesel Thailand Special

I dislike SUVs, usually based on a smaller platform with the same drive line, so it handles worse, uses more fuel and is slower, the only ones I like are the large ones like the Chevrolet Suburban
SUV's have their place theres no doubt.

Such a shame to lose the Focus though.
I thoroughly enjoyed the 2 i owned.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-06-2022, 05:04 PM   #5
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Does that mean our Terry and now my daughter's SA Titanium will become collectors cars eventually...
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 23-06-2022, 09:43 PM   #6
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Unfortunately Ford is winding down globally. This has been happening over the last 20 years. Toyota has been slowly dominating each segment then it moves on to the next. The same has been happening to GM. Eventually Ford won't be competitive in any segment and I fear will cease to exist.
Old 24-06-2022, 10:36 AM   #7
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eaturbo View Post
Unfortunately Ford is winding down globally.
what an absolute load of BS. The company is busier than ever, sells more variety than ever and employs more people than ever.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2022, 10:52 AM   #8
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon varley View Post
what an absolute load of BS. The company is busier than ever, sells more variety than ever and employs more people than ever.
I hope I'm wrong and your right. But all I see is Ford pulling out of countries and cutting models. Focus and Mondeo were the biggest selling vehicle in the UK. Now both models are finished. Ford Continues to build cars in left hand drive only when clearly they have markets that would buy them in right hand drive. My fear is Car companies like Toyota and Hyundai not to mention the Chinese onslaught coming. Like I said I hope I'm wrong but the signs are worrying.
Old 24-06-2022, 02:43 PM   #9
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
I hope I'm wrong and your right. But all I see is Ford pulling out of countries and cutting models. Focus and Mondeo were the biggest selling vehicle in the UK. Now both models are finished. Ford Continues to build cars in left hand drive only when clearly they have markets that would buy them in right hand drive. My fear is Car companies like Toyota and Hyundai not to mention the Chinese onslaught coming. Like I said I hope I'm wrong but the signs are worrying.
Which countries have Ford pulled out of? They sell cars on just about every country on earth. Ranger alone sells in over 180 countries.

The industry is going through considerable change, and people are moving away from sedans and hatches into SUV's. Ford are just following what their customers are choosing. The general public are the ones who create the buying trends. Ford can only follow suit.

There's much more profit in SUV's. The Puma alone is worth $500 million of Ford Europe's profit alone, when Fiesta, which it's based on, is either neutral or losing money.

Ford have made in the region of $8-10 billion dollars profit a year for quite a while now. 6 or 7 years at least I think. The financials are sound. The vehicles they have axed have just been in segments that people are moving away from, so they are replacing them with more profitable vehicles from growing categories that buyers are flocking to.
Bossxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
7 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2022, 02:55 PM   #10
Fast Eddie
Motorsport Guru

Marketing Department has a lot to answer for in the decision to kill of the Model. When was the last time you saw a TV advertisement and that goes way back to the MkI. I would dearly love to get a MkIV ST but I'll hang on to my MkI (unless parts become so rare I can't keep it on the road). It still puts a smile on my dial every time I see an corner speed advisory sign. R.I.P. Focus.

Exterior Enhancements: ST170 Wheels, Richbrook Shorty Aerial, Euro-Spec Hatch Handle.

Performance Enhancements: Ate Callipers/EBC Rotors/EBC Greens Stuff Pads, ST170 Suspension, Herrod's Custom Tune, Ford Racing Coated Exhaust Manifold & Bespoke 2.25in Exhaust.

Awards: AFD '07 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '09 EFOC Best Focus, SFS '10 RSOC O/all Best Focus, AFD '10 CFC O/all Best Focus.
Fast Eddie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2022, 02:58 PM   #11
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fast Eddie View Post
Marketing Department has a lot to answer for in the decision to kill of the Model. When was the last time you saw a TV advertisement and that goes way back to the MkI. I would dearly love to get a MkIV ST but I'll hang on to my MkI (unless parts become so rare I can't keep it on the road). It still puts a smile on my dial every time I see an corner speed advisory sign. R.I.P. Focus.
It has nothing to do with how many they sell in australia. This is strictly a Ford Europe business decision. And the EU making the sale of ICE vehicles illegal after 2030.

I guess the move to EV's will change buyer tastes for Europeans, as they no longer have to buy small cars for fuel efficiency, due to their extremely high petrol prices. They can purchase a bigger car, and not have to worry about petrol bills.
2 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2022, 03:50 PM   #12
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
TV adds don’t sell cars or make them best sellers.

When was the last time you saw a Hilux, Prado, Corolla, or RAV4 TV advertisement ?
Fordman1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 24-06-2022, 03:51 PM   #13
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Uhmm, which countries have Ford pulled out of ?

I’m interested …..
Old 24-06-2022, 04:00 PM   #14
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
Uhmm, which countries have Ford pulled out of ?.
Are we talking sales or manufacturing? The latter, Aus, Japan, Indonesia, Brazil, India the most recent. That's not necessarily a bad thing if it makes them more profitable and allows them to make better-engineered vehicles for the first world, customers who are demanding more and more.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2022, 04:01 PM   #15
martyk54

Quote:
Interesting you think this is a Ford decision. It's a free market decision, no one wants sedans or hatches any longer. Sales keep dropping, hence it would seem a poor business decision to continue marketing something declining in popularity.

The typical Focus type driver now wants to sit up higher in what's essentially the same 'Focus' platform (C2) but reclassified to be an SUV and rebadged. Same goes with other brands.
martyk54 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2022, 04:24 PM   #16
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by martyk54 View Post
The typical Focus type driver now wants to sit up higher
to see over the bonnets of all the other ever higher cars. soon we'll all be driving cars as awkward-looking as an X6.
b0son is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2022, 04:31 PM   #17
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0son View Post
Are we talking sales or manufacturing? The latter, Aus, Japan, Indonesia, Brazil, India the most recent. That's not necessarily a bad thing if it makes them more profitable and allows them to make better-engineered vehicles for the first world, customers who are demanding more and more.
All significant money losing operations. Do people expect them to keep propping up cash burners forever? They just import cars into those countries instead now. And actually make money now.
Old 24-06-2022, 04:45 PM   #18
Eaturbo
BUILT FORD TUFF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordman1 View Post
Uhmm, which countries have Ford pulled out of ?

I’m interested …..
I should have been more clear, they have closed down manufacturing in Brazil,the UK, France, Germany, Russia, India and Australia. This is while other manufacturers are building Factories. Toyota still sell plenty of Corollas and Camrys globally. I've probably owned and supported Ford more then most and still do but they constantly make poor decisions. Where's our right hand drive Bronco. They would sell like hotcakes. They can build a Right hand drive Mustang but not a right hand drive GT500. Where's the right hand drive Explorer, not to mention Factory RHD F truck. The car business is only going to get harder and they are not making it easy for themselves.
Old 24-06-2022, 04:45 PM   #19
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have had three Focus and they were great cars.

I would still buy a Focus if Ford had the model here that I want.

But Ford dont sell the Focus (bar ST) here anymore because demand fell off a cliff. The market moved to SUV.

In Europe I read demand has fallen for Focus by 80 per cent thus making it invalid to continue. Tied into this is a move to SUV and EV by European consumers.

Sadly I ll never buy a new Ford again. Ford now sell just higher dollar value models which is currently a profitable business model. I cant afford a Ford.

My next new car if funding can be scratched up will be along the lines of a Kia Picanto.

But I dont think Ford is scaling down. Ford are selling vehicles which teh bulk of consumers in some vehicle segments need and want. There is profit in that model and thats a major reason why companies exist... sell make a profit and reward shareholders.
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2022, 05:29 PM   #20
Fordman1
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
I should have been more clear, they have closed down manufacturing in Brazil,the UK, France, Germany, Russia, India and Australia. This is while other manufacturers are building Factories. Toyota still sell plenty of Corollas and Camrys globally. I've probably owned and supported Ford more then most and still do but they constantly make poor decisions. Where's our right hand drive Bronco. They would sell like hotcakes. They can build a Right hand drive Mustang but not a right hand drive GT500. Where's the right hand drive Explorer, not to mention Factory RHD F truck. The car business is only going to get harder and they are not making it easy for themselves.
Nope, they manufacture cars in Germany, and they have manufacturing plants in the UK, and France.

They sell cars in a few hundred markets too.

RHD is a different issue, engineering costs need to be amortised over the projected volume, so your RHD Bronco may cost $50 million to develop ? Whatever that is, or your Factory F150, that cost needs to be paid off by the projected volume in that new market.

You do the maths, millions to be paid back, over the life of a few thousand sales so the cost of that vehicle goes from $60,000 to maybe $100,000 ?

Then “it”, (the program) all falls over, as the projected volume of sales collapses when the retail price becomes extraordinary!

It’s not a charity, Ford need to make money on their engineering investment.
Old 24-06-2022, 06:41 PM   #21
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Early.
Bicker all ya want
Vale the Focus.
The 2 i owned.

- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-06-2022, 09:54 PM   #22
Sprintey
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Sad to see the Focus go. But markets change and the extinction of 'lower down' cars continue.

Had a good look at a Puma parked on our street today - all the ingredients are there to do well in what that segment has become.

I can imagine the Europeans all going really big in their electric choices, then getting wedged in those single lane roads, or wedged together in their carparks!
Old 25-06-2022, 12:08 AM   #23
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

[QUOTE=Fordman1;6720547

RHD is a different issue, engineering costs need to be amortised over the projected volume, so your RHD Bronco may cost $50 million to develop ? Whatever that is, or your Factory F150, that cost needs to be paid off by the projected volume in that new market.

You do the maths, millions to be paid back, over the life of a few thousand sales so the cost of that vehicle goes from $60,000 to maybe $100,000 ?

Then “it”, (the program) all falls over, as the projected volume of sales collapses when the retail price becomes extraordinary!

It’s not a charity, Ford need to make money on their engineering investment.[/QUOTE]

By that theory, at what point do any of the manufacturers decide that rhd ain’t worth it for the numbers just as gm has?

So now as a ford shopper I have puma, escape, Everest, ranger, transit and mustang.
Next year F150.
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2022, 09:33 AM   #24
bb_zetec

Ford is doing what is best for its business, considering the aspects such as Shareholder return and making the company financially viable to continue into the Future.

EV will be their focus going forward as with most car companies.

They have learned from their shaky past....whereas somebody like GM did not and simply shuttered everything RHD as a easy fix.

If we keep buying their cars they will offer RHD, simple.

But currently there are also manufacturing issues which may prevent such models as Bronco etc..being RHD considered.

Maybe in the future perhaps Ford may have such an agreement with a local vendor to convert boutique models to RHD (e.g RAM), but youll need to pay.

1966 Mustang Convertible - Wimbledon White
- 289ci Windsor - C4 Auto - Power Hydraulic Roof / Factory AC

Previous Fords:
- 2012 FGII XR6 Manual Ute - Kinetic - 1984 XF Fairmont Ghia - Olympic Gold - 1987 XF S Pak - White- 1994 ED Falcon Classic V8 - Polynesian Green - 1999 AU1 Falcon S - Hot Chilli Red
- 2009 LV Focus Zetec 5sp Manual - Black Sapphire
bb_zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2022, 10:02 AM   #25
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
It has nothing to do with how many they sell in australia. This is strictly a Ford Europe business decision. And the EU making the sale of ICE vehicles illegal after 2030.

I guess the move to EV's will change buyer tastes for Europeans, as they no longer have to buy small cars for fuel efficiency, due to their extremely high petrol prices. They can purchase a bigger car, and not have to worry about petrol bills.
This is a big point, why would Ford keep building small efficient vehicles if EVs are coming?
It makes no sense, Saarlouis built Focus makes no sense which is why it will end in 2025.

Of more interest is the Spanish Valencia plant and it’s C2 based products, I think they’re next
but not until Ford works out a way of replacing those products with affordable EV alternatives.
Valencia would be ideal for more MEBs or Ford based GE/GE2 products since no fuel economy problems..

And in UK, the only plant left is Dagenham making diesels, the 3.0 V6 Powerstroke
just got transferred to South Africa so now only four cylinder panthers built there…
How long will Ford continue to build them in a market that’s turning its back in diesels?
Now that the Transits are going electric, diesel is a shot bird in Europe, a liability actually…..

All of this is no consequence to Australia as Europe will look after itself and only sell us tiny volume.
What we need is guaranteed supply of good EVs for our region, why couldn’t we be a RHD
build location for Southern Hemisphere electric vehicles, the pricing will be strong anyway….
And we have a team here that knows our RHD markets as well as near Asian markets too…

Last edited by jpd80; 25-06-2022 at 10:13 AM.
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2022, 01:53 PM   #26
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by au2000 View Post
By that theory, at what point do any of the manufacturers decide that rhd ain’t worth it for the numbers just as gm has?

So now as a ford shopper I have puma, escape, Everest, ranger, transit and mustang.
Next year F150.
Except forget any of the ones that come out of Ford Europe because they won't supply our market.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80 View Post
All of this is no consequence to Australia as Europe will look after itself and only sell us tiny volume.
What we need is guaranteed supply of good EVs for our region, why couldn’t we be a RHD
build location for Southern Hemisphere electric vehicles, the pricing will be strong anyway….
And we have a team here that knows our RHD markets as well as near Asian markets too…
Hopefully the AUD to USD keeps dropping, if we were at around 20-30 cents we would be attractive, we should devalue our currency
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-06-2022, 07:39 PM   #27
au2000
AKA "the other bloke"

On that, given that ev’s are being legislated in europe, I can’t see ford of Europe giving Australia any more priority for supply than they are already doing.
Hope I’m wrong, but in that scenario, we will only get rangers, Everest and mustangs then
His: 2012 FG II GS, Vanish
His: 2003 BA GT-P, Lightening Strike
Jnr: 2002 AU III Falcon XR6 ST, 5 speed Blueprint & 1978 XC Fairmont Neptune Blue

Previous:
1976 HX 50th Anniversary Kingswood
2014 FGX G6E Turbo
1980 XD Falcon GL
2003 BA Falcon XR6
1991 EB Falcon S
1989 EA Fairmont
1982 XE Fairmont
1968 XT Falcon
au2000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2022, 12:05 PM   #28
aussie muscle
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Ford Continues to build cars in left hand drive only
There's a way to fix that. Australia needs to change to LHD. we have no reason not to change other than being lazy. (apathy is a huge problem in Australia, sure, but it still needs to happen)
Old 26-06-2022, 01:18 PM   #29
Dr Smith
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle View Post
There's a way to fix that. Australia needs to change to LHD. we have no reason not to change other than being lazy. (apathy is a huge problem in Australia, sure, but it still needs to happen)
You may be joking however are you suggesting we switch all our vehicles to LHD and stay driving on the left hand side of the road...we're crap drivers now, imagine all of us driving lhd cars while also staying on the lhd of all roads...
Dr Smith is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-06-2022, 06:42 PM   #30
Adamz Ghia
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussie muscle View Post
If we switched to LHD we’d have to switch the side of the road we drive on, given people already struggle now I’d hate to think what would happen with a switch to the right!
Adamz Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post