Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-06-2022, 11:56 AM   #31
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 
Default Re: 2 Mobile Speed Camera Cars attacked in a Week

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleTrouble View Post
Now you can flame me much as you want.
nah, I don't think it's worth the effort. If you really can't see the problem, we aren't going to change your mind here
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 28-06-2022, 12:26 PM   #32
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Whether the police do right or wrong there is going to be that fringe element of whiners who are going to sook up every time they get a fine for doing wrong.
Face facts you suppose to be driving by the speed limit or is that too hard for some soft *****.
Road safety starts with you being the driver who should be concentrating on your driving or is that too hard for some of you?

Now you can flame me much as you want.
No flaming but you do realise that the camera's in the topic are not the ones ones run and manned by police.

They're run by private contractors who do for their shareholders not road safety.
Old 28-06-2022, 12:33 PM   #33
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

One word: WAZE
MY18 Black WRX STi Spec-R
Previous:
'16 White FGX XR8
'09 Black FG FPV GT 5th Anniversary
'04 Blueprint BA XR8
'97 Mocha Foam EL Fairmont
M&Ms is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-06-2022, 01:07 PM   #34
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
Radar detectors still make sense...even if you don't get much time to react.
Other than being expensive if you get caught with one I think they only work with the hand held/Car mounted ones.
Quote:
Originally Posted by M&Ms View Post
One word: WAZE
How does it pick up the mobile cameras?
Old 28-06-2022, 01:26 PM   #35
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Smooth talk and a flutter of the eyelids? :p

No, people dob the locations in.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-06-2022, 01:54 PM   #36
.:4:.
Kicking back

Mobile speed cameras, or other cameras do not make the roads safer at the time just by being there. Same with fixed cameras. Drive down any main road where everyone knows where the camera is and all traffic slow to or under the speed limit. Its not a proactive approach, its reactive. In the sense that people who cop the fines and demerit points have already done the wrong thing and dont find out about it untill a few weeks later. Yes repeat offenders rack up enough demerits to cop a driving ban, but still. Its not a proactive approach.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 28-06-2022, 01:54 PM   #37
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Not lost a point off my licence to date, still find deceitful policing a contemptible MO.
Same here - mines so high range it didn't carry points

Seriously though I've never been caught by fixed or mobile cameras and I did around 30,000-35,000km/year for 12 years before I lost my licence.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 28-06-2022 at 02:00 PM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2022, 02:48 PM   #38
DoubleTrouble

Quote:
No flaming but you do realise that the camera's in the topic are not the ones ones run and manned by police.

They're run by private contractors who do for their shareholders not road safety.
Really! can you prove it for the shareholders instead of road safety?
I know we have our opinions but please reference your comment where it is done purely for revenue raising for shareholders, btw which shareholders are you referring to?
DoubleTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2022, 02:58 PM   #39
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Really! can you prove it for the shareholders instead of road safety?
I know we have our opinions but please reference your comment where it is done purely for revenue raising for shareholders, btw which shareholders are you referring to?
The Macquarie Bank used to own the NSW camera cars not sure if they still do.

But if you seriously think it's for road safety you need to get out more.
Old 28-06-2022, 03:03 PM   #40
b0son
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Face facts you suppose to be driving by the speed limit or is that too hard for some soft *****.
If you arent constantly looking at your speedo, you will very frequently go over if unimpeded by a car in front of you. In between cars being better insulated from the world around them, being more comfortable to drive, being overwhelmingly safer, and speed limits being increasingly set well below the 85th percentile free flowing traffic speed, it's little wonder that the majority of drivers speed.

And even the police tacitly agree. To quote a HWP I discussed it with once... 'the majority of people I book arent doing anything unsafe'. 95% of speed enforcement is little different to booking someone for parking a few seconds too long in a paid park.
b0son is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-06-2022, 03:07 PM   #41
DoubleTrouble

Quote:

Well I won't talk for NSW since I don't live there but here in Victoria private mobile cameras are contracted out and are controlled and directed by Victoria police.
https://www.camerassavelives.vic.gov...mobile-cameras

Most of the revenue raised through fines will be for the Victorian Government coffers.

Now please again show me a valid reference for your comment or are you just guessing or hearing from so call hearsay.
DoubleTrouble is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2022, 03:26 PM   #42
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Waze relies on users reporting incidents, potholes, police/cameras, etc, and the take up is huge (especially in the younger generation). Drive the F3 from Sydney to Newcastle and the cops are clearly shown on the map kilometres before you approach!

I have Android Auto in my car and waze is running 24/7 when I drive (wireless connection). To report, when you see a camera, click on report police, and done. If a camera is reported by others, it warns you, and you have the chance to press There or Not There, and it either reduces the time the warning stays, or prolongs it by 30 minutes until other verify it.
Previous:
'16 White FGX XR8
'04 Blueprint BA XR8
Old 28-06-2022, 03:27 PM   #43
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Well I won't talk for NSW since I don't live there but here in Victoria private mobile cameras are contracted out and are controlled and directed by Victoria police.

Most of the revenue raised through fines will be for the Victorian Government coffers.

Now please again show me a valid reference for your comment or are you just guessing or hearing from so call hearsay.
Ah yes, Serco. Who are listed on the ASX and therefore have shareholders.
Old 28-06-2022, 04:30 PM   #44
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:

Might be time to return to Whirlpool
Old 28-06-2022, 09:51 PM   #45
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Whether the police do right or wrong there is going to be that fringe element of whiners who are going to sook up every time they get a fine for doing wrong.

Mobile speed cameras are owned by banks, not police.

Also the company who makes this speed camera technology was taken to court in the USA for bribing government officials. What a company. Clearly they have good morals and are just looking out for the safety of road users.

No one here is complaining about police doing police work. That's what most people prefer over these cameras.

As for sooks winging about fines, I've never received a speeding fine in my life.
Truth hurts.

Quote:
Other than being expensive if you get caught with one I think they only work with the hand held/Car mounted ones.How does it pick up the mobile cameras?
Any user can add a warning. Speed cameras, road works, traffic jams, potholes and other hazards too.
Users are asked to confirm other peoples reports as they drive past an alert.
It's actually a great community app and works well.

Last edited by Ben73; 28-06-2022 at 10:05 PM.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2022, 10:05 PM   #46
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&Ms View Post
Waze relies on users reporting incidents, potholes, police/cameras, etc, and the take up is huge (especially in the younger generation). Drive the F3 from Sydney to Newcastle and the cops are clearly shown on the map kilometres before you approach!

I have Android Auto in my car and waze is running 24/7 when I drive (wireless connection). To report, when you see a camera, click on report police, and done. If a camera is reported by others, it warns you, and you have the chance to press There or Not There, and it either reduces the time the warning stays, or prolongs it by 30 minutes until other verify it.
Another good one is Amigo. I prefer Amigo over others because I can minimise and overlay it. So I can use googlemaps for directions, but have Amigo showing me the speed limit for the area, what speed I'm doing, start making sounds when I'm over the limit and get REALLY annoying when I'm over the limit and approaching a camera. Fixed cameras appear to be built in. Mobile cameras are community reported.

Rides (past and present)
Current: 2004 Ford Falcon 5.4L 3v Barra 220, Manual
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

AFF motto - If contrary views trigger, please use ignore button.
T3rminator is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-06-2022, 10:12 PM   #47
Paull
P6 LTD

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For all the hard work performed around paint, trim, engine codes in the Classics section. General all round knwoledge and willingness to impart on others 

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
Mobile speed cameras, or other cameras do not make the roads safer at the time just by being there. Same with fixed cameras. Drive down any main road where everyone knows where the camera is and all traffic slow to or under the speed limit. Its not a proactive approach, its reactive. In the sense that people who cop the fines and demerit points have already done the wrong thing and dont find out about it untill a few weeks later. Yes repeat offenders rack up enough demerits to cop a driving ban, but still. Its not a proactive approach.
And this is the point that I was trying to make, thanks for that. Once you have sped through a speed camera, and caught/fined later in the week/month, you have already broken the law. That is, every time a motorist gets pinged by a speed camera, it has failed to do what it is supposed to do. That is, prevent people from speeding in the first place, hence the 'reactive' comment.

My comments are not related to people speeding/breaking the law and then complaining about it, it is about GovCo/Police doing whatever is possible in a proactive manner to "prevent/stop/dissuade" motorists from speeding in the first place. A marked visible policing presence goes a lot further in this manner, as compared to covert/reactive measures.

Just remember to ask a very simple question, who speeds past a marked police car/visible & known fixed speed camera? Not many.
Paull is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2022, 12:40 AM   #48
M&Ms
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Another good one is Amigo. I prefer Amigo over others because I can minimise and overlay it. So I can use googlemaps for directions, but have Amigo showing me the speed limit for the area, what speed I'm doing, start making sounds when I'm over the limit and get REALLY annoying when I'm over the limit and approaching a camera. Fixed cameras appear to be built in. Mobile cameras are community reported.
Amigo is great, I much prefer it's simpler layout to be honest. It has functionality for users to report mobile cameras, but seems nobody makes use of it.

If the government ever bans Waze, I think Amigo is where everyone will flock to.
Previous:
'16 White FGX XR8
'04 Blueprint BA XR8
Old 29-06-2022, 12:56 AM   #49
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I just use my oldskool GPS, its a Tomtom Go Professional 620, its mostly a slow, glitchy POS that ****s the bed what seems like every time I use it, but it has fixed camera warnings and also mobile camera warnings which I think relies on other people reporting them (?)

Noticed the mobile camera warnings for the first time when I was driving between Gold Coast and Brisbane, it popped up with mobile camera warnings, then asked me to verify if it was still there after I went past it.

Also does some cool stuff like average speed calculation for you going between point to point cameras that SA seems to use which it brings up the moment you go into the zone between the cameras automatically.

Thought about Waze and using my phone but I don't have a phone cradle I can stick on dash/windscreen, also the GPS has a bigger format screen which is also nice.
Old 29-06-2022, 09:04 AM   #50
whitelion65
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Yep, got you on a special list!
Put your cardigan back on!
Moondust silver
2016 Focus Trend, 1.5ecoboost, 6sp manual.
Frozen white

Previous
2004 Berlina Wagon (LS1) Vespers Blue
1995 Camry 2.2, white
1971 Ford Fairmont wagon 302w, C4 Polar white
1971 TC Cortina, 2L 4sp, Ermine white
whitelion65 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-06-2022, 09:58 AM   #51
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

100 zone, very wide and straight section of the Princes Fwy - i'm not going to argue as my wife was apparently speeding - but hiding in a cut-out not long after a hill, pinging you for 105 in a 100 zone, is not what i call "keeping Victorians safe" during a cost-of-living crisis. I would agree if it were a patrol car, but how do mobile speed cameras keep anyone safe when the punishment is two to four weeks later? Please bear in mind these are all rhetorical questions. I believe some other states have their cameras tuned with more tolerance, but in Vic we cop it pretty sweet. And all cameras are now rear-firing - So by the time you brake, it's already done. No flashes any more as all cameras are infra-red. And future cameras are actually being built with tech that detects braking, and will likely fine anyway. Same way that people who flash their high-beams to alert others to a camera, and therefore slow-down and make the traffic "safer" are fined. It's all about safety guys, don't you ever question it.

Last edited by Professor Farnsworth; 29-06-2022 at 10:04 AM.
Professor Farnsworth is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 29-06-2022, 10:53 AM   #52
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Professor Farnsworth View Post
100 zone, very wide and straight section of the Princes Fwy - i'm not going to argue as my wife was apparently speeding - but hiding in a cut-out not long after a hill, pinging you for 105 in a 100 zone, is not what i call "keeping Victorians safe" during a cost-of-living crisis. I would agree if it were a patrol car, but how do mobile speed cameras keep anyone safe when the punishment is two to four weeks later? Please bear in mind these are all rhetorical questions. I believe some other states have their cameras tuned with more tolerance, but in Vic we cop it pretty sweet. And all cameras are now rear-firing - So by the time you brake, it's already done. No flashes any more as all cameras are infra-red. And future cameras are actually being built with tech that detects braking, and will likely fine anyway. Same way that people who flash their high-beams to alert others to a camera, and therefore slow-down and make the traffic "safer" are fined. It's all about safety guys, don't you ever question it.

Man that sucks. Yep, they are rear facing, and can detect up to 6 multiple lanes, not that we have any roads like that here. Amazes me how many people still don't realise its backwards facing. The ones being caught are the ones trying to warn traffic the other way. BTW, I don't think its illegal to flash your lights to warn, as long as it does not endanger or dazzle other road users. I think RACV covered this on one of their social media threads

However, I thought these mobile cameras had some decent tolerances in them, as oppose to the handheld radar guns. Have gone past a few at 2-3% over and never received a ticket. But I think I may have got done yesterday , probably 5% over, out Lilydale way, knew that stretch was notorious for mobile cameras yet wasn't concentrating, lets see if it comes in the mail. Must have just got set up as I didn't get the warning on the app. Haven't had a ticket in over 4 years.

Rides (past and present)
Past: Mitsubishi Sigma (m), Toyota Seca (m), Toyota Seca SX (m), Toyota Vienta V6 (m), Toyota Soarer 4L v8 (a), BA XR8 ute (m), T3 TE50 (m), BMW Z4 (m)

Old 29-06-2022, 11:34 AM   #53
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Location: Mod For: Pub, Bar, Sales Yard, Show 'N Shine, Photoshop, AU to BF, FG to FGX, Territory & Sports Bar
Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Many years of valuable contributions to the forum, including some superb build threads. 

Out lilydale way the most notorious spot is usually the bit going through Coldstream on the Melba, is that where you mean?
Old 29-06-2022, 11:47 AM   #54
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Out lilydale way the most notorious spot is usually the bit going through Coldstream on the Melba, is that where you mean?
Swansea Rd, the stretch coming out of Lilydale Lake.

Rides (past and present)

Old 29-06-2022, 12:07 PM   #55
EBSXR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

There is a few locations in Doncaster - Templestowe and they park on the footpath limiting access for pedestrians.
Wetherby Rd Doncaster between the Eastern Freeway bridge and the top of the Hill heading towards Doncaster Rd.
King Street Templestowe near Tuckers Rd.
Blackburn Rd Templestowe between Reynolds Rd and Heidelberg-Warrandyte Rd.
EBSXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2022, 12:09 PM   #56
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Swansea Rd, the stretch coming out of Lilydale Lake.
haha yes, the bit where everyone forgets the ability to do 60KM/h - weird bit of psychology going on along that stretch
Old 29-06-2022, 12:10 PM   #57
Professor Farnsworth
Fossil fuel consumer

from memory there used to be set locations, but then that restriction was lifted and they choose wherever they want now - however i may be making that up. I don't see how it's safe for someone in a car to be parked on the side of the freeway at night within a metre or two of fast moving traffic, without lights on. I thought they had to have position lights on? Again, probably making this up.
Old 29-06-2022, 12:14 PM   #58
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
from memory there used to be set locations, but then that restriction was lifted and they choose wherever they want now.
You will notice that once they are set up, they are always in the same spot for a period of time. I suspect its because they have to calibrate the machines, less mucking about if they have already calibrated it for a specific location. Or...as you said, there are designated spots.

Quote:
haha yes, the bit where everyone forgets the ability to do 60KM/h - weird bit of psychology going on along that stretch

A bit further up from that 60 segment. Its always in the same spot, both sides. Waiting for the mail

Rides (past and present)

Old 29-06-2022, 12:30 PM   #59
.:4:.
Kicking back

I dont think they do it anymore, but years ago in NSW if you had no infringments in the prior 5 years you'd get 50% off your licence renewel. So incentive based.
Granted that wont stop speeding or unsafe driving.
Seeing a marked police car in my opinion has a much greater effect on people checking their speed, using indicators and in general behaving better. It doesnt raise as much revenue, but it shouldnt be about $'s.
Ive been randomly pulled over multiple times over the years. Its way more confronting then a letter in the mail. Bar 1 defect notice, no roadsides was i ever pinged for anything. Standard issue breatho etc. As a P plater id get pulled over all the time for driving a v8 but i was exempt from the restrictions that came in in 2004 so more or less it was just a licence check.
Cameras, well, they only really slow people down for a couple hundred metres before and after. Then people just speed back up. See a maked police car a few cars back or infront, most intelligent people do the right thing.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-06-2022, 12:33 PM   #60
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
I dont think they do it anymore, but years ago in NSW if you had no infringments in the prior 5 years you'd get 50% off your licence renewel. So incentive based.
Granted that wont stop speeding or unsafe driving.
Seeing a marked police car in my opinion has a much greater effect on people checking their speed, using indicators and in general behaving better. It doesnt raise as much revenue, but it shouldnt be about $'s.
Ive been randomly pulled over multiple times over the years. Its way more confronting then a letter in the mail. Bar 1 defect notice, no roadsides was i ever pinged for anything. Standard issue breatho etc. As a P plater id get pulled over all the time for driving a v8 but i was exempt from the restrictions that came in in 2004 so more or less it was just a licence check.
Cameras, well, they only really slow people down for a couple hundred metres before and after. Then people just speed back up. See a maked police car a few cars back or infront, most intelligent people do the right thing.
They used to do something similar in VIC,

My sister got done for driving with no licence when she stacked into another car and ended up in court for it.

Then when she got her Ps and finally onto her full licence, she got a discount on the licence fee for having a clear history with no offences,

Because she didn't have a licence it didn't count

Quote:

'Safety' - how dare you do 5km/h over the already low speed limit on a dual lane divided freeway thats flat in both directions.

All they need now is the big TAC signs saying 'speed kills' or something to complete the scene.