Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 30-06-2022, 07:26 PM   #61
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Default Re: Century Batteries

Bare in mind N120/N150/N200 size batteries are physically massive, have thicker plates and a lot more solution inside them, if you look at their low CCA rating in comparison to their size and weight I think there's something in that in comparison to the car type.

If you look at ye olde Century 86, it's a bit bigger than an N70Z size what you'd have in a diesel Hilux but it doesn't have much of a CCA rating, it's much heavier, it's maintenance type and it lasts a very long time.

Everyone's failures here have been latest generation car maintenance free century stuff.

Might be something in this.

For reference to what I'm talking about look at CCA, physical dimensions and weight

https://www.batteriesdirect.com.au/s.../34229/86.html

N120

https://www.centurybatteries.com.au/...r/product/n120

N150

https://www.centurybatteries.com.au/...r/product/n150

N200

https://www.centurybatteries.com.au/...r/product/n200

There's not much CCA there but there's lots of weight.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 30-06-2022 at 07:31 PM.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 30-06-2022, 11:35 PM   #62
1970XW351
Angry Dub Driver

Funny this thread crops up now as I have just today replaced the Century 67MF in my BA fairmont V8 that I put in there in September 2017.

Cranking has been a bit sluggish for the last couple months and twice (on very cold evenings) trying to start it after work it has initially refused, but eventually capitulated after a few minutes respite. (coinciding perfectly with the arrival of jumper leads and a willing spark donor, just to add to the insult).

I replaced it with a 67EFMF, same 640CCA but 40 month warranty, up four from the last one. I got them to do a load test on the old one (they used the very same tester that Franco linked earlier) and it was down to around 340CCA, which would certainly explain its reluctance to fire up the big girl. Price was $210. I just wish they weren't maintenance free, as I'm sure, with a regular check of the fluid and top up where necessary, many more years of service could be winkled out of them.

So, over all I guess I'm reasonably happy with Century, car is the daily hack and chews through 20-30,000km a year. I have also used supercharge and was sorely tempted to go that way again, however, I went Aussie made for the extra $30 odd.

Cheers, Tony
1970XW351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 30-06-2022, 11:57 PM   #63
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Have to comment here.
All the Century batteries I use have had no problems bar one which was a sealed lead acid battery used in a car.
I specifically order the larger type with the removable venting cap.
Serviceable type cells.
They are fitted in every vehicle I own including the smallest in the panel van.

I used to swear by Century. In fact, I bought a supercharge battery for the Colorado about six months ago and almost felt dirty doing so. Even with the last couple not appearing to be as good as they used to I still went out and replaced them with another Century.

Ten or so years ago, they were great. I've just noticed that the last couple that I have had have not lasted as long and seem to struggle more with cold starting as they get a little age on them.

The maintenance free aspect of them may be an issue but the ones I bought for the FG and AU were maintenance free as well and I was very happy with them.

The last two I got that were within a couple of days of each other were on special for around $180.
PG2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2022, 01:32 PM   #64
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charliewool View Post
“Cookie” was MOON batteries off North St Ascot Vale, near Polo Club hotel (where you’d find Cookie Jnr most afternoons lol)
Yep, all made on premises… Even the cases (and Heavy as feck!)
Young Cookie sold out to IBD (independent battery distributors) in Westside Drive Laverton Nth… He was still there before I relocated to Costa Rica 6 odd yrs ago but was talking retirement back then so probably gone now, along with his incredible battery knowledge!
Moon batteries were the ants-pants of batteries… Unfortunately got to the stage where they were cost prohibitive against multi-nationals…
Most definitely a small world.

I could never remember the address. Just looked for the house on the corner of Mt Rd and turned there. Walked down the alley at the back, hopping you wouldn't get mugged, until you found the wooden sliding door.

I'd only ever known Anthony and then really only as Cookie. His Dad was long before my time. Dad said he doesnt think he met his father. But after Jnr finished his jewellery apprenticeship he up and left to work in the family business.

Yep, IBD on Little Boundary Rd. Couldn't remember the name. I worked on Pipe Road for a long long time and was sad to hear the business had closed but was happy he was 2 mins away for my battery needs.

I have to revise my timeline. I jumped on Google Maps to look up the address, reminisce a little, but street view shows the site levelled in 2006.

It must have been within a year or 2 of that I next saw him at IBD where he sold me a Bosch battery. And probably around 2012/2013 when I next went there for another battery, but he was on holidays so I didn't get to say hi.

Interesting to hear he hung around there alot longer. I remember him saying when I first saw him at IBD it was a shortish term gig and retirement was on the cards.

As a business and a brain, both definitely a big loss to the people and trade.
arm79 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2022, 05:04 PM   #65
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Have to comment here.
All the Century batteries I use have had no problems bar one which was a sealed lead acid battery used in a car.
I specifically order the larger type with the removable venting cap.
Serviceable type cells.
They are fitted in every vehicle I own including the smallest in the panel van.

Our little house is solar powered by 8 x N150 wide 11 plate non deep cycle
"Heavy Equipment" versions.
The motorhome has 2 x NS70 starting and 2 x N150's house batteries see above.
The boat we lived aboard for several years has the original 3 x N150s house batteries as above.
The oldest Ford Trader starts on a N120 as above.
The Kenworth has 2 x N120's through a series parallel starting system.

The old motorhome we lived and traveled in for 12 years had a bank of the same above and lasted as long as I had it.

Imo these are the best batteries I have used and have lasted years even while being in bulk/float charging state while not in operation. I would have a hard time being convinced to use anything else. Despite all the experts.
I guess keeping your head firmly wedged in the sand could work for you.

You clearly have not read any of these posts here of batteries failing after 5-12 months as well as the hundreds of online reports of the same thing. These people are not experts they are consumers of a product that is manufactured sub standard and does not perform as it is supposed to.

Quote:
There is no such thing as a maintenance free battery.
Read this back to yourself slowly and then slap yourself in the head.

You can not be serious, almost all batteries are maintenance free. It is almost impossible to buy a battery that is not maintenance free these days.

And you clearly missed the point that these issues are with recently manufactured batteries not batteries made 15 years ago.

No one really cares about your 10 year old boat batteries and motorhome or solar batteries when they are stranded in their car with a flat battery that is less than 12 months old 500km from home.....

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

Project 1 : '75 XB GS 351 Ute, Toploader, 9" with 3.5's

Project 2 : '74 XB GS Big Block Coupe, Toploader, 9" with 4.11's

In Storage : '74 XB GS 351 Fairmont Sedan

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

XB GS 351 Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-07-2022, 05:18 PM   #66
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

When it rains it seems to pour, fitted the brand new warranty replacement battery into the GT yesterday and all is good so far, you would hope so after only 24 hours.

Went to jump into my daily driver EL Falcon this morning and it had a flat battery first time ever in many many years, thought may be I left the door open or something drained the battery, jump started the car drove it around 40km and the battery was still flat refusing to start to drive home. Jump started it again to drive home another 40km and it got me home fine.

Turned it off and went to start it just to check and it's dead

It's hooked up to the charger now but I think I need to buy a new battery over the week end. This battery has been in the car for at least 5 years off the top of my head, and it looks like a no brand battery (might have a brand on it when I pull it out of the battery box tomorrow)

So I guess I will need to go looking for a Supercharge brand battery tomorrow as I am done with Century till they can get their issues sorted.

The Week End Bruiser : FPV BF GT 40th Anniversary, 6 Speed Manual, 6/4 Brembo and lots of Herrod goodies

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 01-07-2022, 05:56 PM   #67
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

I also think there's something in fitting bigger batteries than what the car came with from factory in regards to longevity,

8 years or so ago replaced the OEM DIN43 in our WS Fiesta with a DIN55 from Supercharge, still been going like a champ and the car has only done about 5000km in 3 years, I've let it run dead flat a few times, just charged it up and she's all sweet.

In saying that watch what happens I bet it flogs out this week.
Old 01-07-2022, 11:51 PM   #68
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

WOW after reading these I am in two minds...the reviews on Supercharge are worse the Century.

https://www.productreview.com.au/lis...arge-batteries

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 02-07-2022, 01:33 AM   #69
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by XB GS 351 Coupe View Post
WOW after reading these I am in two minds...the reviews on Supercharge are worse the Century.

https://www.productreview.com.au/lis...arge-batteries
Gee, we're off to a great start here, go looking for ACDelco and lets see what these places say about them
Old 02-07-2022, 07:14 AM   #70
aussiblue
FG XR6 Ute & Sedan
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Has been floating around the oze tech section for a long time and is always there to give advice when people have an issue. 

Quote:

I wonder what has happened; I have Supercharge in all my 5 cars and they usually last at least just one or two months past there warranty. I wonder how much the issues for these batteries, regardless of brand in question, is related to less miles on cars due to Covid and longer importation journeys time-wise and longer in transit storage periods (between date of manufacture and the actual retail sale) and other Covid related production and storage issues. As someone once said: "Most batteries don't die, they are murdered [by maltreatment] " per https://www.centurybatteries.ca/sing...y-are-murdered and https://baintech.com.au/keep-your-ba...-of-the-grave/ etc Perhaps Covid is a mass murderer in more than one way? It would be interesting to know how old some of these batteries were when purchased (the manufacturing date is usually stamped on the case albeit sometimes in a cryptic code). It is so easy to blame nearly everything on either Covid or the other evil, Putin but....

Quote:
Vehicle alternators are not battery chargers. While they do put back the energy just used to start your vehicle, they are not meant to recharge a battery that was already low, and is now even lower from starting your vehicle. This is hard on the alternator and increases the risk of you needing to replace it. Also, if you do a lot of short trips in city driving, this doesn't give the alternator enough time to actually charge the battery. This can kill a battery in a hurry. A longer drive at highway speeds is much better for the charging system.

The best thing you can do for your batteries when your vehicle is in storage is to keep them on a battery maintainer, or at the very least charge them once a month with a battery charger. Driving around or starting the car and letting it run for 20 minutes is not the way to go.

Last edited by aussiblue; 02-07-2022 at 07:30 AM.
aussiblue is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-07-2022, 09:02 AM   #71
bb_zetec

Also i was taught early on in my automotive life to always check the cells and top up the water with demineralised back when most batteries were the maintenance type with caps.

Used to get a good life outta those...about 7 or 8 years.

I remember one old Falcon i had i never replaced the battery as long as i owned it, and it was an NRMA one that looked ancient, all i did was what i said above.

1966 Mustang Convertible - Wimbledon White
- 289ci Windsor - C4 Auto - Power Hydraulic Roof / Factory AC

Previous Fords:
- 2012 FGII XR6 Manual Ute - Kinetic - 1984 XF Fairmont Ghia - Olympic Gold - 1987 XF S Pak - White- 1994 ED Falcon Classic V8 - Polynesian Green - 1999 AU1 Falcon S - Hot Chilli Red
- 2009 LV Focus Zetec 5sp Manual - Black Sapphire
bb_zetec is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-07-2022, 11:21 AM   #72
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Wonder if all the extra electronics that cars have these days could be another problem as well with parasitic loads on batteries while the car is off.

Notice with my Focus that it can't sit anywhere near as long as my Caprice before not wanting to start, Focus can sit about 2 weeks before it turns over too slowly, Caprice will sit for over a month and still fire up.

Focus has DIN75L and Caprice NS70 so they both have bigger batteries fitted than the factory fitments but even stock for stock same deal.

Could have something going on with the Focus electrically, the OE DIN65L batteries only lasted 12-18 months regardless of brand since the car was new, then when I put in a DIN85L, it lived for 5 years and I just replaced it because it was a bit old.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 02-07-2022 at 11:29 AM.
3 users like this post:
Old 02-07-2022, 12:27 PM   #73
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
Gee, we're off to a great start here, go looking for ACDelco and lets see what these places say about them
I've already bought a Supercharge one on your word. Will be holding you to it.

Even if it does crap out earlier than expected I managed to get it at a good price - $164.

I was going to get a Delkor from R&J, but they've gone up to $194. Big jump from the $160 I last priced them at a couple of years back. No ACDelcco in hick town either.

Speaking of price rises, I got a set of Bridgestone RE003 for POS Ghia a week ago. $199 a tire. Far cry from the $155 or $159 Dad paid about 26 months ago. Guy told me there was a price rise hitting on the 1/7. They've gone up to $219 now. $60-odd in just over 2 years is almost epic.

Happy I got them on a buy 4 pay for 3 deal.

Quote:
Wonder if all the extra electronics that cars have these days could be another problem as well with parasitic loads on batteries while the car is off.
Aside from that I've always been curious of a modern variable voltage PCM controlled alternators effect on a battery. The batteries in our BF's don't seem to last as long.

The only time I see over 14v charging is for a few mins after turning the car on. Then it will drop to high 13's for a bit. But most of the time it runs between high 12's and low 13's.

POS Ghia came with a near new Century 57EF battery. It's about 3.5 years old now. Seems to be performing well with no hint of a problem.

Although if you tilt the battery a little the charge indicator goes red. Like the there isn't enough liquid in the cell. Put it back flat and it stays red, but go for a drive and it goes green again.
Old 02-07-2022, 02:29 PM   #74
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiblue View Post
I wonder what has happened; I have Supercharge in all my 5 cars and they usually last at least just one or two months past there warranty. I wonder how much the issues for these batteries, regardless of brand in question, is related to less miles on cars due to Covid and longer importation journeys time-wise and longer in transit storage periods (between date of manufacture and the actual retail sale) and other Covid related production and storage issues. As someone once said: "Most batteries don't die, they are murdered [by maltreatment] " per https://www.centurybatteries.ca/sing...y-are-murdered and https://baintech.com.au/keep-your-ba...-of-the-grave/ etc Perhaps Covid is a mass murderer in more than one way? It would be interesting to know how old some of these batteries were when purchased (the manufacturing date is usually stamped on the case albeit sometimes in a cryptic code). It is so easy to blame nearly everything on either Covid or the other evil, Putin but....
My habits of driving my GT have not changed at all since 2007, same with my other cars pre covid , So in my case I don't think Covid is the issue. The only car that would be affected in my case is my wife's car as she used to drive 120km / day five days a week and she has been working from home, but we sold her car for that reason.

I have been thinking if it is a matter of quality of resources?

With many battery resources getting used for solar battery systems and electric cars, may be manufacturers are compromising on the materials going into the batteries to keep the prices low(er).

More use/demand of resources for the above mentioned reasons would have to drive price up of said resources. May be they are cutting back on whatever makes the battery work and quality is suffering.

When I returned mine it almost seems that the guy dealing with battery returns is sick of dealing with it.

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 02-07-2022, 02:35 PM   #75
XB GS 351 Coupe
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes and no, my GT is the same GT where the original battery lasted from 2007 till two years ago. Nothing changed and it has eaten two batteries in two years since.

Read a lot of battery feed backs in the last few days.

Something has definitely changed in the last few years with batteries. Modern cars would have a higher demand no doubt about that, but there is more to this IMO. (putting tin foil hat on)

XB Falcon Owners Group

Mike's Man Cave

Old 02-07-2022, 04:23 PM   #76
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes and no, my GT is the same GT where the original battery lasted from 2007 till two years ago. Nothing changed and it has eaten two batteries in two years since.
I don't think Franco is referring to you here, just speaking generally.
2 users like this post:
Old 02-07-2022, 04:25 PM   #77
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Sorry if this is in the wrong section, but could not see anywhere else to put this.

Question is : Has anyone had issues with Century Batteries lately?
You asked the question above and I answered it. Given they are a mix of new and old Century batteries I don't think you needed to jump down my throat mate.

The fact some are 15 years old is a relevant answer for your question on if I have had issues with them.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 02-07-2022, 06:16 PM   #78
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb_zetec View Post
Also i was taught early on in my automotive life to always check the cells and top up the water with demineralised back when most batteries were the maintenance type with caps.

Used to get a good life outta those...about 7 or 8 years.

I remember one old Falcon i had i never replaced the battery as long as i owned it, and it was an NRMA one that looked ancient, all i did was what i said above.
First module when I was an apprentice was test and charge batteries, which I think was written 30 years before I started my apprenticeship

Anyone else here still hesitant to put batteries on concrete floors? Its the 'chicken soup fixes all' wives tale of the automotive industry, no one can explain whether it actually discharges/damages batteries but I still won't do it

Quote:
When I returned mine it almost seems that the guy dealing with battery returns is sick of dealing with it.
I think its more the whole industry rather than specifically the battery returns, everyone in the game dreams about doing better jobs, like picking up rubbish on the side of freeways, cleaning graffiti or flipping burgers at Maccas

Curious to what brands off grid power installations use for flooded lead acid batteries, I vaguely remember a conversation with my Century rep that there was another brand under the same group, I thought they'd just use their industrial deep cycle range but it seems there's something else.

While more and more people are using lithium, I'm still hesitant to involve myself with that stuff when people ask about it.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 02-07-2022 at 06:25 PM.
Old 03-07-2022, 12:02 AM   #79
hayseed

Quote:

Anyone else here still hesitant to put batteries on concrete floors? Its the 'chicken soup fixes all' wives tale of the automotive industry, no one can explain whether it actually discharges/damages batteries but I still won't do it

I reckon It's the ultimate "Urban Myth" & sit them on the shed Floor without a second thought Or any Issues..
However I had a Bloke who worked for Me for a bit over 7 Yrs who point blank refused to sit a battery on Concrete..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-07-2022, 12:05 AM   #80
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I think the basic idea is thermal equilibrium. If the bottom remains colder than the top, reaction will not be equal over the height of the plates.
Citroënbender is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-07-2022, 12:07 AM   #81
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
I reckon It's the ultimate "Urban Myth" & sit them on the shed Floor without a second thought Or any Issues..
However I had a Bloke who worked for Me for a bit over 7 Yrs who point blank refused to sit a battery on Concrete..
There's no science behind it, I still tell people not to do it and keep the ghost stories alive and continuing to the next generation though
2 users like this post:
Old 03-07-2022, 08:31 AM   #82
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:

Back in the early nineties we used to buy a lot of batteries off the panel shop next door. He was one of the most laid back people you would ever meet but God help you if you put one of his batteries on the concrete floor.

To this day, I can't bring myself to do it. Not trying to go all religious, but I put it on the same level as not eating red meat on Good Friday.

Last edited by PG2; 03-07-2022 at 08:37 AM.
6 users like this post:
Old 03-07-2022, 09:20 AM   #83
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Concrete has a thermal conductivity k-value around 2,25. Timber (for example) is around 0,12 k-value. IOW a superior insulator.

So if you sit an active lead-acid battery on cooler-than-ambient-temperature concrete for an extended period, heat may be drawn away from the bottom of it, this reduces the rate of reaction and theoretically its “fight” against self-discharge when compared to timber flooring in otherwise the same prevailing conditions.

If you have a heated bathroom floor, this is probably a good place to stand your spare batteries.
3 users like this post:
Old 03-07-2022, 09:52 AM   #84
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

If batteries aren't lasting check your earths & upgrade them.

Bad earthing is a killer every time. Was having issues with head light globes popping and sluggy starting on my BF. Extra earth strap from chassis to negative terminal - sorted. Made a surprising difference.

Last century in BF lasted 5.5 years. Replaced this year.
Never touched, maintained or trickle charged - noting.

5.5 years on a 67EF MF with E-gas hard cold starting and ignition - can't complain.

XR8 - 4 years and going strong.

Century quality hasn't dropped at all.

Check your earthing.

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 03-07-2022, 10:06 AM   #85
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehoon View Post

The discussion is centred around batteries made within the last couple of years, not batteries of your age. That recent batteries are of poor quality compared to older manufacturing.

Remember this thread in a year or so to provide feedback on your most recent purchase.
3 users like this post:
Old 03-07-2022, 10:12 AM   #86
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
There's no science behind it, I still tell people not to do it and keep the ghost stories alive and continuing to the next generation though
If there's no science behind it and it's an old wives tale, then why do manufacturers store them on pallets and retailers store them on stands and shelves.

Even they're too scared to put them on concrete. Think about it!
2 users like this post:
Old 03-07-2022, 10:20 AM   #87
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Faanie said no-one could offer an explanation, I claim my status as official no-one of the thread.
3 users like this post:
Old 03-07-2022, 11:09 AM   #88
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Quote:
Originally Posted by arm79 View Post
The discussion is centred around batteries made within the last couple of years, not batteries of your age. That recent batteries are of poor quality compared to older manufacturing.

Remember this thread in a year or so to provide feedback on your most recent purchase.
My post not only gave advice on the problem but also mentioned I bought one this year.

That makes it more than relevant.

Please read the original post correctly

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-07-2022, 11:27 AM   #89
PG2
#neuteredlyfe
Donating Member2

Quote:
If batteries aren't lasting check your earths & upgrade them.

Bad earthing is a killer every time. Was having issues with head light globes popping and sluggy starting on my BF. Extra earth strap from chassis to negative terminal - sorted. Made a surprising difference.

Never touched, maintained or trickle charged - noting.

5.5 years on a 67EF MF with E-gas hard cold starting and ignition - can't complain.

XR8 - 4 years and going strong.

Check your earthing.
I actually forgot about this.

Yeah, on the advice of Silver Ghia I did put a second earth strap on the FG and while I can't comment on the battery life, it did make a difference to starting and headlights.

Having said that, I have also put a second strap on the AU XR8 and XR6. Both of my recent batteries have been disappointing.
Old 03-07-2022, 11:45 AM   #90
arm79
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
My post not only gave advice on the problem but also mentioned I bought one this year.

That makes it more than relevant.

Please read the original post correctly
Perhaps some reading and comprehension lessons are on the cards for yourself too.

I acknowledge the advice and that it is true and valid advice.

But this thread is about out of character early failures of these batteries in cars with known good electrical systems. Batteries manufactured in the last couple of years, not 5 or 6 years ago where the same people experienced no problems.

Like installing a externally fully charged battery into the car and having it instantly fail, but then fitting a new replacement and the things starts no problems.

Yes I read you purchased a battery this year. But when? A month ago, 2, 5? In the scheme of the thread and other reviews its a young battery and not necessarily in the range of failure.

I bought my Dad a Supercharge battery this year. It's absolutely fantastic, no problems so far. But that should be true of a battery I bought 5 days ago and installed yesterday. I'm sure you get the gist.

But as i said, remember this thread in a year or 2 or 3 and come back with equivalent time feedback. If its still working fine, then I'm happy to accept an "oi d*chead. I was right, you were wrong".
2 users like this post: