Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 04-02-2012, 10:15 AM   #1
MegaBob
Starter Motor

Default So, my window got smashed

Yeah, last night went to my mate's house and when I came back outside to drive home, I found my driver's side rear window smashed to pieces. Nothing was taken from the car, so I surmise that some ****** were bored and decided to annoy someone for the night. I got most of my cursing out the way last night while I was driving slowly home and hearing more and more glass fall from the frame with every bump and brake. Anyway, I have full comp insurance on my car and I was quoted $580 for a new a window as well as $108 for the labour to install said window. My insurance excess is $400 too.

I was talking to the old man and he said my best bet is to just get to a wreckers and get a window from them and hopefully they'll be able to install it too, at worst I could install it, which hopefully would be cheaper. What does everyone here think I should do?

MegaBob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2012, 10:27 AM   #2
Dave_Obsession
Resident AFF detailer

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Helpful and detailed posts on car care. 
Default Re: So, my window got smashed

I agree with your father - check out some wreckers and I'm sure you'll be able to grab a window - even if you pay to have it installed!

Not sure how much for a 'used' window but it wouldn't be anywhere near $580!!
Old 04-02-2012, 11:08 AM   #3
ronwest
All Bran = Regular Member

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Shop around you'll get a whole door for $50

ronwest is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2012, 11:11 AM   #4
GTsteveMkII
EL GT 082

Yeah definitely buy a window from a wreckers or out of the paper. It will save you a heap of money. $580 is just ridiculous!!

HERS - 2013 SZ Territory Titanium

DAILY - 1998 Fairlane By Tickford
GTsteveMkII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2012, 11:38 AM   #5
MegaBob
Starter Motor

Good thing I have a sounding board to talk about all this. I just assumed insurance was the way to go. Bugger that.

Rang up a wreckers and the bloke wanted $40.

Now getting the window in, that'll be something to enjoy.
Old 04-02-2012, 11:48 AM   #6
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

ah! a good end to another mongrel story.....sounds like they were thinking of pinching your car as that is thee window that is usually busted in order to gain access

insurance is a huge rort....they know the most common damage is usually under your excess in an order to dissuade you from making a claim!

G'day....I'm Dave, ...everyone calls me Poppa,..05.. B.A. Fairmont mark II...

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
poppa smurf is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2012, 11:51 AM   #7
MegaBob
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by poppa smurf
sounds like they were thinking of pinching your car as that is thee window that is usually busted in order to gain access
*****, that's nice and terrifying. I hate people sometimes, everyone here notwithstanding, of course.

Last edited by auIILTD; 05-02-2012 at 08:45 PM. Reason: Some members could see **** as a profanity.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:11 PM   #8
brownieXR8

maybe look at getting optional glass cover on your insurance. I think it cost about $60 for the year on my policy and gives a nil excess for glass replacement.

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
brownieXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2012, 12:18 PM   #9
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MegaBob
Jesus Christ, that's nice and terrifying. I hate people sometimes, everyone here notwithstanding, of course.
yeah! look theres some horrible folks out there that really don't deserve the privileges that society bestows upon them

we got half a dozen ferals that live up the road, I say "live" in that they are the latest round of tenants in that particular house..never worked a day in their life, dirty scruffy plunkers

they are currently loading an old holden ute onto a trailer, road half blocked off, snotty nosed kids everywhere...

cant or won't get a job but will buggerise around with old wrecks all day long

may your day's be filled with smiles, your life be filled with love, may your children know nothing but happiness and joy, cherish the memory of those who strove before us for they cleared the way, spare a thought for those who serve we owe so much to so many, life and the freedom to enjoy it is a special gift that can be taken away far too soon!
Old 04-02-2012, 01:57 PM   #10
MegaBob
Starter Motor

Talk about your silver linings. Went to the wreckers and found a beat up Series I Fairmont in liquid silver, just like my Forte.

Picked up the window for $35 (not sure if I'm game enough to do it myself, we'll see how bored I get today) and also managed to get the Intech badges for $10 for the pair and the colour coded side strips for $20, which later turned out to be free because I gave the guy my old standard hubcaps in return.

I'm actually quite happy, to be honest.

Last edited by MegaBob; 04-02-2012 at 02:06 PM.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:06 PM   #11
falzoony
Rockin '67

Quote:
Talk about your silver linings..

'67 XR Wagon
falzoony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-02-2012, 02:07 PM   #12
MegaBob
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by falzoony
Don't think for a second I'm not annoyingly proud of myself for that one.
Old 04-02-2012, 02:10 PM   #13
falzoony
Rockin '67

You've got a good lame-pun teacher.

'67 XR Wagon
falzoony is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2012, 05:37 PM   #14
rowan194
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

For future reference, and this applies to any car, bear in mind that if you make a "no other known party" claim, you pay your excess and get it fixed, but they may also raise your premiums the next year, and possibly permanently.

So if the cost to fix is close to your excess, even a hundred or two over, it may be worth fixing it privately rather than going through insurance.

Another thing to remember is that repairers will often give you a significant discount for a cash/non insurance job. Once insurance is involved they'll jack up the price.
rowan194 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 06-02-2012, 05:41 PM   #15
poppa smurf
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Don't think for a second I'm not annoyingly proud of myself for that one.
justifiably so I would think....a fine outcome!