Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 10-08-2006, 05:19 PM   #1
CATFORD
SCALDED CAT

Question Complete Ghia Dash For Au Ute

I have a complete...AU Fairmont Ghia dash with BEM,DASH CLUSTER,AIRBAG CD Player etc...what are the chances of it going straight into an AU II UTE...or what will have to be done to make it happen....any advice welcome!
Cheers Rory!

Old 10-08-2006, 05:22 PM   #2
b2tf
not here much anymore

It will fit but its a pretty big job. Basically involves stripping the interior and putting the new dash in, doing all the wiring then refitting. Given that its a Ghia dash, if you want the climate control to work, that is a pretty big job on its own too - involves adding sensors to the inside and outside of the car.
Old 10-08-2006, 05:24 PM   #3
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Huge job, but would we WELL worth it.
  • 1999 Lexus IS200 - 1G-FE Turbo 6MT
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
Polyal is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2006, 05:25 PM   #4
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

What is BEM?
Old 10-08-2006, 05:36 PM   #5
CATFORD
SCALDED CAT

BEM stands for Boby Electronics Module....I definatley am going to do it...just need to work out what I can do myself...and what I need to pay for...cant wait though.
Old 10-08-2006, 06:37 PM   #6
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CATFORD
BEM stands for Boby Electronics Module....I definatley am going to do it...just need to work out what I can do myself...and what I need to pay for...cant wait though.
Go for it I reckon!

All the best with it, and post some pics (before and after) when you are done!

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2006, 07:03 PM   #7
CATFORD
SCALDED CAT

No probs at all!
Old 10-08-2006, 07:32 PM   #8
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

or if you really feel up to it, do what GK does and make a write up of it with step by step instructions so if anyone else wants to do it they have something to follow....just a thought, good luck with it and i hope it turns out great
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2006, 07:57 PM   #9
b2tf
not here much anymore

If youve got an S2 Ute but the parts are from S1, make sure all the electronics you use are from the same series i.e. dont mix S1 bits with S2 bits. Im pretty sure that a S1 BEM wouldnt work in an S2 ute.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:30 PM   #10
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by b2tf
If youve got an S2 Ute but the parts are from S1, make sure all the electronics you use are from the same series i.e. dont mix S1 bits with S2 bits. Im pretty sure that a S1 BEM wouldnt work in an S2 ute.
T3 man put an AU1 TS50 dash and climate control into his AU3 TE50.
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2006, 08:32 PM   #11
CATFORD
SCALDED CAT

Actually I'm not sure what series the dash is from...is there any way to tell....I might post a pic of the new dash and maybe someone may know what is is out of!!!
Old 10-08-2006, 08:36 PM   #12
CATFORD
SCALDED CAT

Here are some pic of the dash I will be/maybe putting in...does anyone know what its out of???
Old 10-08-2006, 08:46 PM   #13
bodes-sh
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

s2 or 3 by the looks of it
bodes-sh is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2006, 09:59 PM   #14
Peuty
Afterburner + skids =
Donating Member1

It is definately out of a Series 2 or 3. You can tell by the colour of the LCD on the odometer and the climate control. Opaque/silver on S2/3 compared to black on S1.

Oo\===/oO
Peuty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 10-08-2006, 11:01 PM   #15
CATFORD
SCALDED CAT

Sweet....I will post some pics when I get started!!

Thanks for your help!
Old 10-08-2006, 11:09 PM   #16
buickman
buickman

There is a Silver ute with a S2 Fairmont front & the TS graphite/ fairmont dash fitted I've seen this car at a swap meet could be a panel shops car. So it has been done.
buickman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-08-2006, 12:29 AM   #17
HoT-AU
06 SS Thunder Ute

My ghia doesnt have the Chrome fancy CD inlet bit and my odometer is completely different. So its a s2 or s3.

Just to comfirm/cement what 3 other ppl said. And to waste peoples time.
Old 30-03-2014, 05:36 PM   #18
monroc

Default Re: Complete Ghia Dash For Au Ute

Hi mate I know your post is old but I am about to do the same thing I have bought the complete series 2 ghia and I am going to put it into my series 1 ute the whole car is stripped out and under primer I am just wondering how did you go and did you have any problems !!!! Thanks Steve ( my email is monroc3@optusnet.com.au)
monroc is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-04-2014, 11:10 PM   #19
superroo
You can't stop the signal

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Has done quite a few excellent write ups for au .com 

You have the heather box from the ghia as well?

I ran into a few problems but i was using a series 1 dash, where as s2 is correct i believe for a s1 ute (all utes are series 1.5)
- Had to change the connectors to the column (hopefully s1 dash issue)
- Cross car loom had to be rewired/made to suit the new functions
- Wiper fluid level wires needed to be added to car loom
- Ambient temperature wiring & sensor needed to be added to car loom

Now the process I followed to add the extra wires was to go to a self serve wrecker, unwrap a loom that had what I needed, then remove the pin from the connector and remove it from the loom.
Then unwrap my loom, add the pin to the connector and wrap back up.
A lot of work, but completely unnoticeable when done.

Any other question, just ask. I went through hell to get mine to work, so I have some experience.

Cheers

[edit]
Other thing is you may need to change the BEM the ghia dash has.
You will need a series 1.5 high BEM, which is yellow from memory.

Last edited by superroo; 04-04-2014 at 11:18 PM.
superroo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-04-2014, 07:20 AM   #20
monroc

Hi mate Steve here (monroc lol) thanks for your post I sent an email to you there is no real hurry to respond I was just wondering if you received it it didn't appear to send properly !!!! Thanks mate regards steve
Old 08-04-2014, 01:18 AM   #21
MrEL
Sick Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by superroo View Post
You have the heather box from the ghia as well?

I ran into a few problems but i was using a series 1 dash, where as s2 is correct i believe for a s1 ute (all utes are series 1.5)
- Had to change the connectors to the column (hopefully s1 dash issue)
- Cross car loom had to be rewired/made to suit the new functions
- Wiper fluid level wires needed to be added to car loom
- Ambient temperature wiring & sensor needed to be added to car loom

Now the process I followed to add the extra wires was to go to a self serve wrecker, unwrap a loom that had what I needed, then remove the pin from the connector and remove it from the loom.
Then unwrap my loom, add the pin to the connector and wrap back up.
A lot of work, but completely unnoticeable when done.

Any other question, just ask. I went through hell to get mine to work, so I have some experience.

Cheers

[edit]
Other thing is you may need to change the BEM the ghia dash has.
You will need a series 1.5 high BEM, which is yellow from memory.
Its one of the easiest things to do.
If you have a S2 ute all the wiring is already in the car and its plug and play.
Been there and done that.
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2014, 07:25 AM   #22
monroc

Hey Mr El,
Thanks for the reply it is actually a series 1 ute ( but apparantly they are series 1.5) I have it all out the wiring does look the same though I do have the complete ghia car though so I do have everything. I need I guess I have only found 1 additional plug it is a white one on the floor area down near the gas pedal the wires from it lead to the back of the ghia so I am guessing it is something to do with the boot lid or something in the back of it as it is a sedan and there are a couple of wires for the power airial but I seem to have the plug for that in my ute other than that it seems to look ok what do you think should I change to the ghia ecu so it matches the bem !!!! Thanks mate Cheers steve
Old 09-04-2014, 04:02 PM   #23
bluestripes
Q - CAR

I too have a series 2 ghia dash to go into my series 1 ute. I have the s2 ghai Bem box ... But still its a big job. ... So I've been procrastinating for months.

I also need to instal the elec window motors .. And I hear that's a job and a half in iteslf ?

347 Windsor Stroked; (10:2.1) / TFS 190 heads / TFS R Series 90 manifold / Accufab 85mm Race TB / 90mm Lightening MAF / K&N 90mm pod CAI / FTI custom cam (230-236 @ 50) / Bosch 36lb inject / MSD coil + leads / ASR 8lt sump / Mcleod RST Twin Plate Clutch / Pacemakers PH4006 + 3" single exhaust / BA Premium brake pac / Pedders Xtreme coil over shocks / 30mm Whiteline sway / 3.45 LSD / Custom FG bonnet / Ghia interior upgrade / Enkie Rims - staggered / Quarter Horse tuned.
bluestripes is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2014, 06:37 PM   #24
monroc

hey mate go and get some new doors off ebay that have the mptors fitted they will only be about $50 each and just paint them I am going to put my dash in this weekend so I will let you know how I go also you will need the to work ghia s2 heaterbox for everything to work the other guys who posted here are really helpful !!!! Good Luck Steve
Old 09-04-2014, 06:46 PM   #25
bluestripes
Q - CAR

Yeah cheers ... I actually brought the window window motor arms of a wrecker and two days later a white au came in with elec doors in perfect nick. I then tryed to swap them over but they would not play and I got the shuts and walked out.

I think I'm stall because mines a work / play ute and I'm worried if I get stuck I will be with out a car ... So I'm waiting for a good time, although another member said his done a few and its half day ... So I will see how you go !!

347 Windsor Stroked; (10:2.1) / TFS 190 heads / TFS R Series 90 manifold / Accufab 85mm Race TB / 90mm Lightening MAF / K&N 90mm pod CAI / FTI custom cam (230-236 @ 50) / Bosch 36lb inject / MSD coil + leads / ASR 8lt sump / Mcleod RST Twin Plate Clutch / Pacemakers PH4006 + 3" single exhaust / BA Premium brake pac / Pedders Xtreme coil over shocks / 30mm Whiteline sway / 3.45 LSD / Custom FG bonnet / Ghia interior upgrade / Enkie Rims - staggered / Quarter Horse tuned.
Old 09-04-2014, 06:46 PM   #26
bluestripes
Q - CAR

Yeah cheers ... I actually brought the window window motor arms of a wrecker and two days later a white au came in with elec doors in perfect nick. I then tryed to swap them over but they would not play and I got the shuts and walked out.

I think I'm stall because mines a work / play ute and I'm worried if I get stuck I will be with out a car ... So I'm waiting for a good time, although another member said his done a few and its half day ... So I will see how you go !!

Old 09-04-2014, 08:23 PM   #27
monroc

yeah doors are hard to put on my ute is my work ute as I am a builder I spent a full day fitting my doors properly but I have completely stripped my car all the high fill is on and block sanded so I will paint it over easter I will try and post some pics of how I got my dash out it is really easy if you know how I made some longer bolts to suppport the dash so it was about 300 mm off the firewall so it was really easy to unplug all the connections I couldn't believe how easy it made the job it was a snack ( but I am a home renovation builder so I am use to dealing with difficiult situations lol ) I do have the pics so I will post them soon !!!!! Thanks mate regards steve
Old 09-04-2014, 08:25 PM   #28
monroc

hey just wondering which member has done a few it would be interestion to get his feedback thanks again
Old 09-04-2014, 08:34 PM   #29
bluestripes
Q - CAR

Smile Re: Complete Ghia Dash For Au Ute

Quote:
Originally Posted by monroc View Post
yeah doors are hard to put on my ute is my work ute as I am a builder I spent a full day fitting my doors properly but I have completely stripped my car all the high fill is on and block sanded so I will paint it over easter I will try and post some pics of how I got my dash out it is really easy if you know how I made some longer bolts to suppport the dash so it was about 300 mm off the firewall so it was really easy to unplug all the connections I couldn't believe how easy it made the job it was a snack ( but I am a home renovation builder so I am use to dealing with difficiult situations lol ) I do have the pics so I will post them soon !!!!! Thanks mate regards steve
Is Monro your last name ?
Mine is Munro .. ha ha

Yeah - post pics using photobucket, check out my build thread.. ive sort of done how to do post on there

http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11416615

its good to record and post this stuff.