Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 20-11-2023, 12:03 AM   #1
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 
Default Sheathed Chain for Security

Two random questions in one day…

I’m hoping to cobble up some fairly lightweight security chain for stuff that is easier/more convenient to keep on the ute. Secure enough to deter the honest criminals.

Have seen the motorbike security chains, they’re the general format but are shorter and stronger than what’s desired. Eg: https://www.amazon.com.au/OKG-Securi.../dp/B08R5HLRM2

Cable is less desirable as it won’t slump like a chain, and is harder to feed through multiple items without wanting to pull on them.

I’ll probably be wanting a chain eight to ten feet long. Any suggestions on either vinyl sheathing (spec and source) or some sort of durable tube knit synthetic, would be useful. Any stories of what hasn’t worked for someone, might be informative, too.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2023, 08:06 AM   #2
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Default Re: Sheathed Chain for Security

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
Two random questions in one day…

I’m hoping to cobble up some fairly lightweight security chain for stuff that is easier/more convenient to keep on the ute. Secure enough to deter the honest criminals.

Have seen the motorbike security chains, they’re the general format but are shorter and stronger than what’s desired. Eg: https://www.amazon.com.au/OKG-Securi.../dp/B08R5HLRM2

Cable is less desirable as it won’t slump like a chain, and is harder to feed through multiple items without wanting to pull on them.

I’ll probably be wanting a chain eight to ten feet long. Any suggestions on either vinyl sheathing (spec and source) or some sort of durable tube knit synthetic, would be useful. Any stories of what hasn’t worked for someone, might be informative, too.
My containers have extra woven covered (carbon weave sleeve) anchor chain wrapped around the door locking bars which tie them together.
Anchor chain is better made than hardware store chain as its your insurance when on the hook. Very hard links to cut by angle grinders let alone bolt cutters. The carbon weave I bought from a hydraulics shop, they use it over high pressure hoses to contain explosive hose failures.

Some of the carbon sheaved bicycle chain locks are great too.
I'm talking high end bicycles (not Kmart ones) they are usually longer than motorbike ones due to the need to wrap it to a fix street object.

roKWiz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 20-11-2023, 04:16 PM   #3
xxx000
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Done similar recently and would recommend a combination padlock on it rather than key.

Much more convenient, no need to look for a key each time and use your PIN as the combo.
xxx000 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 20-11-2023, 05:45 PM   #4
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Anchor chain would likely be massive overkill. I’m looking at securing stuff that might stay on the ute when it’s in a car park, or I’m overnighting at a motel, or perhaps packing things the night before an early departure. Eg, couple of mowers, a trimmer, hedger, generator type items. To stop opportunistic theft, not determined crooks or crackheads with a grinder.
Old 20-11-2023, 05:50 PM   #5
roKWiz
Cabover nut

I love these cryptic questions.

Old 20-11-2023, 06:00 PM   #6
Electrolyte Burns

Years ago, when I worked with forklifts I used to make up ones from the lift chains.
I used pushbike innertubes for the covering.
Electrolyte Burns is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 20-11-2023, 06:02 PM   #7
.:4:.
Kicking back

https://www.rspcansw.org.au/adopt/pet/553765/
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 20-11-2023, 06:04 PM   #8
roKWiz
Cabover nut

I remember the cops telling us at a marina once, locks are for honest people.

Old 20-11-2023, 06:09 PM   #9
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Inner tube could work at a pinch.

A dog, not a chance. Too much extra responsibility.

I didn’t intend the questions to be cryptic, I was trying to provide streamlined information without a lot of static. If it helps, the lawn mower is green and black; I load it in the tray area immediately behind the passenger seat and my bald neighbour’s name is Kevin.
2 users like this post:
Old 20-11-2023, 06:20 PM   #10
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
. Any suggestions on either vinyl sheathing (spec and source) or some sort of durable tube knit synthetic, would be useful. Any stories of what hasn’t worked for someone, might be informative, too.
Just answering what I thought you wanted to know.

Old 21-11-2023, 08:36 AM   #11
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Just a thought, would low side removal cage work. Something you could simply padlock from the back and together if needed.

Sides could be made from lightweight steel mesh say up to 5 -600mm high.

Bought the (Christmas Tree) Trader with a large cage attached, way to high for my use. Would have been useful cut down to say cab roof height.

Old 21-11-2023, 09:36 AM   #12
Tonz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

thats what kept me thinking last night, why not a lockup cage or even a metal canopy thing
Old 24-11-2023, 06:35 AM   #13
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

How I have been using the ute, varies so much that a fairly static item like a cage wouldn’t really work. Even its rear rack is off and on like the proverbial.

RW, if you know - does the “burst sleeve” fray at its ends if cut but not sealed?