Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

View Poll Results: What would you do if you won the cars for cancer prize
Take the F6 27 29.67%
Take the R8 4 4.40%
Trade the F6 on a GT 5 5.49%
Trade the F6 on a GT-P/GT-E 7 7.69%
Trade the F6 on a GS 2 2.20%
Trade the F6 on a F6-E 0 0%
Trade the F6 on a F6 ute 2 2.20%
Trade the F6 on a GS ute 1 1.10%
Trade the R8 on a Maloo 1 1.10%
Trade the R8 on a GTS 1 1.10%
Trade on something other than the above 6 6.59%
Take the CA$H 35 38.46%
Voters: 91. You may not vote on this poll

Old 23-11-2010, 07:57 PM   #31
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I have been buying these tickets for years as it is, I believe, a worthy cause and was rather surprised when they rang me 3 extra times trying to sell the remaining tickets so I bought $200 worth.

I could not understand with the number of Holden and Ford enthusiasts about how they could possibly not sell out every time.

A lot of the posts in this thread are quite unexpected.

It is a FREE brand new HSV or FPV, the things that there is so much drooling about yet so many, if given the chance to own a $77,000 car, would take $50,000 in cash to spend on whatever.

That is THROW AWAY $27,000.

This $50k you get is $14 a day over the next 10 years (and $7 you threw away).

$14 = 3 cups of coffee = 2 tins of bourbon = 10l of petrol = 2/3 of a packet of smokes = 3 big macs = 1 cinema ticket =...........

P.S. no one get in there and buy some because I want to win it.
flappist is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2010, 08:00 PM   #32
Bucknaked
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'd take the cash.
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2010, 08:04 PM   #33
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by flappist
I have been buying these tickets for years as it is, I believe, a worthy cause and was rather surprised when they rang me 3 extra times trying to sell the remaining tickets so I bought $200 worth.

I could not understand with the number of Holden and Ford enthusiasts about how they could possibly not sell out every time.

It is a FREE brand new HSV or FPV, the things that there is so much drooling about yet so many, if given the chance to own a $77,000 car, would take $50,000 in cash to spend on whatever.

$14 = 3 cups of coffee = 2 tins of bourbon = 10l of petrol = 2/3 of a packet of smokes = 3 big macs = 1 cinema ticket =...........

Maybe their secretly wanting that rav4!!
Old 23-11-2010, 08:06 PM   #34
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

there is a difference between what something costs and what it is worth. an F6 may cost $77k, but to someone who already has a similar car, or is into debt up to their eyeballs it certainly isn't worth a years wages.

the only people who should choose the car over the cash are those looking to buy that exact same car. for everyone else the flexibility of cash far outweighs any $27k downside that mostly disappears after owning an F6 for a year.
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2010, 08:43 PM   #35
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||
there is a difference between what something costs and what it is worth. an F6 may cost $77k, but to someone who already has a similar car, or is into debt up to their eyeballs it certainly isn't worth a years wages.

the only people who should choose the car over the cash are those looking to buy that exact same car. for everyone else the flexibility of cash far outweighs any $27k downside that mostly disappears after owning an F6 for a year.
So what you are saying is that you call yourself "ford enthusiast" and/or a "performance car enthusiast" but would not own a FPV or HSV even if it cost $30.

Yep I can see why the tickets are not selling......

Poor bloody FPV, how do they market a $60-90k performance car to a mob of so called "Ford blue bloods" who would not own one if it were basically free.......
Old 23-11-2010, 09:11 PM   #36
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

id take the f6 then sell it for more than 50g
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2010, 09:16 PM   #37
Nikked
Oo\===/oO

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Long time member, loves Fords, sensible contributor and does some good and interesting posts. 

Quote:
Poor bloody FPV, how do they market a $60-90k performance car to a mob of so called "Ford blue bloods" who would not own one if it were basically free.......
For someone who show quite a bit of intelligence on this forum you are being very narrow minded.

I already own 2 fords, one a modified EL XR6. after spending 10-odd grand on it the next big thing is a house, if i won a car i would be selling it anyway, so why not take the cash? Easier in the long run. I would be able to afford the insurance on a new F6, I've got no where to out it any way....

But if i had my house, i'ld take the car

Check out my Photo-chop page

T...I...C...K...F...O...R...D
\≡≡T≡≡/
Nikked is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2010, 09:20 PM   #38
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

If I could drive the thing, yeah I'd keep it, but its no use to me sitting in the driveway for the next 4 years.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2010, 10:06 PM   #39
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:

I'm going to throw this out there. I am currently a university student, and will be for another 12 months. I am on Youth allowance.

I currently live in a block of units where I do not have a lock up garage. So I can't afford the insurence even if they'll insure it without it being locked up of a night. Its going to lose a lot of value very quickly, and if I left it in the uni car park every day it would probably get dinged up very quickly. I am also under 25.

On the other hand, $50,000 would cover rent and food for a year, plus plenty left over for me to put towards a car or a house deposit once I finish university in 12 months time.

In my situation what do you think would be the best option if I were to purchase a ticket and win the car?
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2010, 10:46 PM   #40
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveJH
I'm going to throw this out there. I am currently a university student, and will be for another 12 months. I am on Youth allowance.

I currently live in a block of units where I do not have a lock up garage. So I can't afford the insurence even if they'll insure it without it being locked up of a night. Its going to lose a lot of value very quickly, and if I left it in the uni car park every day it would probably get dinged up very quickly. I am also under 25.

On the other hand, $50,000 would cover rent and food for a year, plus plenty left over for me to put towards a car or a house deposit once I finish university in 12 months time.

In my situation what do you think would be the best option if I were to purchase a ticket and win the car?
There is no right or wrong answers and each chooses what they wish.

I am just surprised that so many people who spend time on an internet forum devoted to Australian Ford motor vehicles, if given the chance to own a top of the line Ford vehicle, would immediately sell it.

I am encouraged though that the percentage of people who would either keep it or trade it on another car is gradually climbing.......
Old 23-11-2010, 11:00 PM   #41
Scott

Quote:
So what you are saying is that you call yourself "ford enthusiast" and/or a "performance car enthusiast" but would not own a FPV or HSV even if it cost $30.

For a normally well reasoned and insightful member, I cannot fathom why you are struggling with the reality of people who "need the cash" at the moment.

Are you getting a kick back from tickets sold or something?

I am of the opinion that you seem to do ok, so put it into perspective for yourself against a young bloke who's saving for his first home.

You won a Veyron, it's going to cost you $20,000pa to insure, the tyres are going to cost you $35,000 a set, servicing will cost you $12,000pa, a set of brake pads will cost $12,000. You already own a GT3 - not the same but similar in purpose and you like it.

If you want, you can sell the Veyron for 70% of the $3,000,000 pricetag and walk away with a very nice bump to the bank account that means you can pay the mortgage with some degree of certainty for the next few years without any fear of rate rises, crashes or loss of income (including a rejected Income Protection claim ;) )

The reality is that our two-speed economy is more like opposing ends of a road ranger. People that would keep the F6 are people who could afford one if they wanted to, even if they did have to stretch a little.

People who would sell the F6 are people who need cash and couldn't afford one without significant disruption to their economic wellbeing.

At present, I fall into the latter. I've bought a lots of nice cars in the past, but with a wife at home looking after a baby, mortgages to pay, properties to maintain etc, right now I'd take the cash and top up the account a bit.
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2010, 11:03 PM   #42
SteveJH
No longer a Uni student..

Quote:
There is no right or wrong answers and each chooses what they wish.

I am just surprised that so many people who spend time on an internet forum devoted to Australian Ford motor vehicles, if given the chance to own a top of the line Ford vehicle, would immediately sell it.

I am encouraged though that the percentage of people who would either keep it or trade it on another car is gradually climbing.......
If the question had been asked 12-18 months from now my answer probably would have been very different.

However in my current position, keeping the car would not be the smartest choice.

As for the other people, $50,000 off the mortgage is probably at least 1-3 years off their morgage with a corresponding decrease in the amount of interest they'll have to pay.

At the end of the day everyone is in different financial position and in most cases their response is probably going to vary depending on that state more so then their desire to own a particular care. I guess its just a matter of being realistic.
SteveJH is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2010, 11:20 PM   #43
MIKEVYII

I'd take the R8 & then Sell it as I already have a Supercharged LS3 Senator Signature & a R8 tourer p.s dont hate me I also have a 65 Stang
MIKEVYII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2010, 11:51 PM   #44
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTP006
For a normally well reasoned and insightful member, I cannot fathom why you are struggling with the reality of people who "need the cash" at the moment.

Are you getting a kick back from tickets sold or something?

I am of the opinion that you seem to do ok, so put it into perspective for yourself against a young bloke who's saving for his first home.

You won a Veyron, it's going to cost you $20,000pa to insure, the tyres are going to cost you $35,000 a set, servicing will cost you $12,000pa, a set of brake pads will cost $12,000. You already own a GT3 - not the same but similar in purpose and you like it.

If you want, you can sell the Veyron for 70% of the $3,000,000 pricetag and walk away with a very nice bump to the bank account that means you can pay the mortgage with some degree of certainty for the next few years without any fear of rate rises, crashes or loss of income (including a rejected Income Protection claim ;) )

The reality is that our two-speed economy is more like opposing ends of a road ranger. People that would keep the F6 are people who could afford one if they wanted to, even if they did have to stretch a little.

People who would sell the F6 are people who need cash and couldn't afford one without significant disruption to their economic wellbeing.

At present, I fall into the latter. I've bought a lots of nice cars in the past, but with a wife at home looking after a baby, mortgages to pay, properties to maintain etc, right now I'd take the cash and top up the account a bit.
I am not struggling at all and the reasons given by almost everyone are sound and logical.

But since when has automotive passion had anything to do with logic or reason.................
Old 23-11-2010, 11:52 PM   #45
|||
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

the cost isn't $30.

it's $30 plus the opportunity cost of choosing a rapidly depreciating asset over cash.

in my case that opportunity cost is huge. i have some nice fords already so i'm happy calling myself a "ford enthusiast" while turning down an F6 & using $50k to improve my situation in life.
||| is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2010, 12:06 AM   #46
kezzer

Take the cash or F6!! (Might even trade to a GTS not sure)
FG XR6: pacemaker sterline coated headers, Xr8 snorkel + modified CAI, 100cpsi ballistic cat, 20" rims, lower with shocks, custom catback exhaust, custom spacers, tune soon to come, 1/4mile soon to come.
kezzer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2010, 12:12 AM   #47
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by |||
the cost isn't $30.

it's $30 plus the opportunity cost of choosing a rapidly depreciating asset over cash.

in my case that opportunity cost is huge. i have some nice fords already so i'm happy calling myself a "ford enthusiast" while turning down an F6 & using $50k to improve my situation in life.
Yep depreciating $27,000 and you didn't even get to sit in it is pretty bad....

But this thread does shed a bit of light on why the tickets aren't selling as well as expected.

It is unusual for someone to buy a ticket in a lottery where you have no interest in actually owning the prize as almost half the pollsters have demonstrated.

When prize alternated between FPV and HSV I never bought HSV tickets. I waited until the next FPV and bought twice as many.
I suspect they noticed more than me doing this which is why they bought in the choice.
Old 24-11-2010, 12:50 AM   #48
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

If I had an extra 40cm in the tandem garage I would take the F6 no questions asked.

I'm in the market for a new car early next yr for the mrs and the win would be perfect timing. Would want a large car as that would be what the eventual kids get carted around in. And the fact it's a performance sedan keeps me happy as well.

Only problem is, at 9m total garage length, the Coupe being roughly 4.2m long that only leaves 4.6-4.7m so I'll be buying something mid sized. No way the Coupe or an F6 are parked on the street!

So I voted to trade on something other than the large car offerings that was safe with 5 doors and decent boot space then pocket the difference.

Just bought $100 worth of tickets... I'm always a sucker for these things ;)
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2010, 01:09 AM   #49
TumekeFord
Starter Motor

Take the Falcon, sell it, then use the proceeds to put a new donk in The Truck (77 F100). And the remainder to buy an XF Ghia with a 351.
TumekeFord is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2010, 02:52 AM   #50
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Too late, I got in and bought 6 Tickets :P

Ill enjoy driving around in my new F6...

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2010, 02:53 AM   #51
drew`SEVNT5
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by TumekeFord
Take the Falcon, sell it, then use the proceeds to put a new donk in The Truck (77 F100). And the remainder to buy an XF Ghia with a 351.

wat?

Talk about throwing good money after bad...

-2011 Nissan 370z Coupe (6M)-
-2006 Husqvarna SMRR450-
drew`SEVNT5 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2010, 08:58 PM   #52
flappist
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well it looks like the next one is up and first prize is a new 335 kw GT.

Hopefully this will attract more ticket buyers, I know I will buy some.....
Old 27-11-2010, 03:16 AM   #53
Crazy Dazz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don’t even know what the F6 is. Is that the FPV Turbo?
Life was a lot bloody easier when cars had names.
I would try and do a deal to swap the F6 for a low km GT. If I am going to have that sought of money invested in a car, then it needs the correct number of cylinders. Not interested in the economy model.
Old 27-11-2010, 10:05 AM   #54
xr6turbo2005
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i voted the F6, just so i'd have a matching FPV turbo to go with the GT. Then again, maybe i'll go a new S/C GT

2008 FPV GT - Auto, Seduce Red, Leather Interior, Herrod Performance Air Box with K&N Pod Filter.

2018 4WD Everest Trend - Blue Reflex.
xr6turbo2005 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post