Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 23-11-2010, 06:41 PM   #1
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 
Default NSW Speeding and Demerit Point Overhaul

Demerit Point Overhaul:

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/new...-1225958838747

Overview:
  • Reducing demerit point penalties for 22 non-speeding offences
  • Drivers demerit points increased from 12 to 13
  • "Professional" drivers, such as cabbies, truckies, bus drivers and couriers, will get 14 points
  • Offences such as not using indicators and roundabout offences would now incur no loss of demerit points
  • Obscure offences such as overtaking when unsafe or getting too close previously saw a loss of three points. That will be reduced to two.
  • Warning signs 50m ahead of mobile speed cameras
  • Driving in a bus lane will mean the loss of one point rather than three
Quote:
Ms Keneally said a "working party" would be set up to see if sanctions, such as completing a driver education course, could be used instead of demerit point penalties.

The party would also look at whether drivers whose licences had been suspended could apply for restricted "hardship" licences permitting them to drive "to alleviate hardship" and whether automatic demerit loss should occur with drink-driving.
Wow - I wouldn't have guessed there would have been this much change...

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2010, 06:45 PM   #2
glavas

its so they can keep you on the road so they can keep handing out fines. harder to fine you if your not on the road.
glavas is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2010, 06:58 PM   #3
Paxton
Cobblers!

If she was really serious, the Territories would be gone.

This is just a desperate grab for votes.
Roses are red. Violets are blue. OS X rocks. Homage to you.
Paxton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2010, 07:07 PM   #4
3vXT

I like how on when interviewed, some 'road safety spokesperson' announced that drivers in NSW now have 13 demerit points to lose before they lose their license. I thought the drivers who haven't been caught speeding, etc... (i.e the good drivers) had no demerit points on there license and the bad drivers (the speeding devils) earned demerit points by being evil? They are called DE-merit points because having them on your license is a NEGATIVE thing. If we started out with 12 or 13 points and lost them every time we got caught doing something evil then they would be called MERIT points.

Even the jerks that come up with this rubbish don't know WTF they are talking about.

EDIT: ...and getting rid of demerit points for not using your blinker will help. I'm working on a device that all drivers can use to read each others minds thereby negating the need for blinkers at all.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2010, 07:10 PM   #5
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Why don't they just call them "Penalty units" or some crap.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2010, 07:20 PM   #6
3vXT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Why don't they just call them "Penalty units" or some crap.
Because demerit has the word 'merit' in it leading the mouthbreathers to conclude that it is a positive, happy system to be celebrated. Penalty units sounds to authoritarian and that wouldn't look as good.
3vXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2010, 07:26 PM   #7
The G6ET Spot
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Chaser
Demerit Point Overhaul:

[*]Warning signs 50m ahead of mobile speed cameras
That is just to let you know that they have already clocked you. As they have already clocked your speed when you are approx 2-300 metres from them
The G6ET Spot is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2010, 07:28 PM   #8
wrongwaynorris
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paxton
If she was really serious, the Territories would be gone.

This is just a desperate grab for votes.
Absolutely with the emphasis on despaerate .
wrongwaynorris is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2010, 08:10 PM   #9
bungarra

How to ensure you win the election:

If already in power: Get rid of the road "safety" camera 6 months before election
To get into power: Declare you will get rid of the road "safety" camera, then when elected, wait unitl 6 months before the next election to get rid of them.

Damn, I should become a pollie!!
bungarra is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2010, 08:46 PM   #10
motorcycles4eva
love the xa's

we should have a points system that is determined by how old you are.. eg.. i'm 35.... i should have 35 points...
???
motorcycles4eva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-11-2010, 09:18 PM   #11
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

This is a joke! It's a cash grab by keeping the ignorant boobs on the road, masked as a political spin to win votes.

At present I am a bus driver, so professional driver, in Sydney for Hillsbus.

Every morning driving into town on the Gorehill the cops are in the breakdown bay pulling in drivers who run the T2 lane.
Never less than 3 cars pulled in, and they go 'em for speeding, defects, rego, bus lane bit, the lot. Those cops are a mint factory.
This points overhaul just keeps the money lining the govvy coffers.

If it was about safety then the punishment harsh and the license lost. The idiocy, ignorance and arrogance will never be addressed by money & demerit points.

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2010, 03:22 AM   #12
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken2903
I like how on when interviewed, some 'road safety spokesperson' announced that drivers in NSW now have 13 demerit points to lose before they lose their license. I thought the drivers who haven't been caught speeding, etc... (i.e the good drivers) had no demerit points on there license and the bad drivers (the speeding devils) earned demerit points by being evil? They are called DE-merit points because having them on your license is a NEGATIVE thing. If we started out with 12 or 13 points and lost them every time we got caught doing something evil then they would be called MERIT points.

Even the jerks that come up with this rubbish don't know WTF they are talking about.

EDIT: ...and getting rid of demerit points for not using your blinker will help. I'm working on a device that all drivers can use to read each others minds thereby negating the need for blinkers at all.
Or another way of reading it is demerits are a buffer between perfection and reality. The likelihood a driver will make some small errors is accepted and therefore a system is devised to allow for those minor errors without losing your licence for a minor infraction or two.

In the beginning (a point in time where you have not made any boo boos) you are permitted a set amount of boo boo points that you can lose before it becomes apparent you are unwilling to even try to not make boo boo's. Each boo boo results in you having less boo boo points to play with, until you have made one too many boo boos that your boo boo points are less than or equal to zero for a given time period, and your licence is then suspended.

That is, youre not licenced to drive unless you have in your possession, at least 1 boo boo point. A good driver still has in their possession all their allocated boo boo points, as they have not needed to utilise them.
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2010, 09:27 AM   #13
trippytaka
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

NO loss of points for not indicating? WTF? That's one of the most dangerous things someone can do on the road!

JUst because it's become the norm to not give a toss about your fellow man, and to merge without care or thought of what others are doing or might have planned, doesn't mean it should be acceptable! FFS!
trippytaka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2010, 09:36 AM   #14
Fev
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I completely agree with Trippy, absolute crock when i read that.. I like the Spoonman's opinion on triple m - it's all a cunning plan to keep us in our cars to create more revenue from fines, instead of taking people off the road
Fev is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2010, 09:47 AM   #15
XWGT
Powered by Marshall

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
Or another way of reading it is demerits are a buffer between perfection and reality. .

Sorry but in Victoria 3kph is the difference between you being a marginal citizen and a demon from hell speeder hoon responsible for the death of millions..........

Speed either kills ............or it dosnt. Cant have it both ways government!
Old 24-11-2010, 10:57 AM   #16
rancidpunx
FPV GTR

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: For technical contribution to all things car-care related. And helping/advising forum members with the best possible information. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmc351
A good driver still has in their possession all their allocated boo boo points, as they have not needed to utilise them.
I know plenty of crap drivers who still have all their points. My Girlfriend is one and her Mother is another.

The not indicating change up is pathetic in my opinion. The likely hood that the new rules were drafted by somebody who does not know how to indicate at a roundabout and as such "What the hell are they doing in a job that the has the potential of causeing pile ups". However the "everyone does it anyway" attitude may lead to speeding being allowed someday soon by their logic.
- Veridian Green PJ Ranger XLT -
The Work Truck

rancidpunx is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2010, 11:28 AM   #17
fmc351
let it burn

Quote:
Originally Posted by rancidpunx
I know plenty of crap drivers who still have all their points. My Girlfriend is one and her Mother is another.
My post was simply about the name for the points, nothing more.

If you were penalised by getting points for boo boos, then only those caught would have boo boo points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by XWGT
Sorry but in Victoria 3kph is the difference between you being a marginal citizen and a demon from hell speeder hoon responsible for the death of millions..........

Speed either kills ............or it dosnt. Cant have it both ways government!
So, theres only one fine amount and demerit amount in Victoria for speeding? Or is it graduated, for example, upto 15 km 'w' points and $x fine, over 15 but less than 25 etc 'y' points and $z fine?

Youre not making any sense. They can have it both ways. Speed, can lead to situations that are known to kill. Obviously those events can happen at 100 too, on a 100 km/h stretch of road.

Let me ask, is the concept of road rules like speeding that appall you, or the revenue raising of cameras?
fmc351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2010, 11:43 AM   #18
steve.zissou
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

obviously they are doing this because people are complaining - which is good.

Now complain some more (to your members and the ministers) that they are taking this p1ss. I wont post the details becuase nsw change minister so often it will be out of date in 2 days but go to this link and send an email (i dont think they read FF that much).
http://www.parliament.nsw.gov.au/pro...rrentMinisters

This is just a cash grab - if you able to keep your licence longer, they can fine you more. Its that simple.
If speeding is so bad, why have they now allowed me to get busted 2 more times for exceeding the spped limit by <10km/h.

As a motor cyclist, the indicator issue is one of the biggest dangers i face - round-abouts inparticular . - these guys are a joke (not as big a joke as those that vote for them).
steve.zissou is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2010, 03:19 PM   #19
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm not in a job listed as a 'Professional driver', but Do I get 14 points if I drive Hundreds of kilometers for work everyday?

They need to get over the speed ********. Yes doing 30 over the limit in the middle of the day is pretty dangerous, but doing 10 over, especially at 3am is not very dangerous at all. It probably safer because you get off the road ASAP.

The only accident I have been is was about 2 years ago, I was doing 10 BELOW the speed limit, and the other car was probably doing 20 BELOW the speed limit. Problem was the other guy was not watching where he was going and decided to cut across the wrong side of the road right in front of me. Cop said he will get a warning for something, big deal not like that would of affected him. But if he was doing 10 over the speed limit the cop would of fined him and told him he is a crazy manic that is going to kill everyone.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2010, 03:36 PM   #20
AWD Chaser
Formally Kia Chaser

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluehoon
...they go 'em for speeding, defects, rego, bus lane bit, the lot. Those cops are a mint factory....
So don't speed, don't drive a defective car, don't drive without rego, and don't drive in a bus lane unless your entitled too...

But I don't agree with all the changes they are proposing....

Some professional and community consultation would be nice(not just NRMA giving their opinion)... given the fact its the community if affects!

HSV Clubsport R8 VY (2003)
Black, 6sp Manual, Coulson Seats, Red on black interior, Pacemaker extractors, Twin 2.5" exhaust, Custom Red 20" VE GTS Rims, Custom Red Stitching
AWD Chaser is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-11-2010, 10:14 PM   #21
Bluehoon
Hoon On The Rise

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWD Chaser
So don't speed, don't drive a defective car, don't drive without rego, and don't drive in a bus lane unless your entitled too...
Agreed! I'm sitting in the bus shaking my head...

If it was purely for safety it would have my support. But we know it's money...

FGX-XR8 Manual, BFII E-Gas, '11 GSXR 1000 - Love 'em!
FPV Tickford Club of NSW - www.fpvclub.com
Bluehoon is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2010, 10:34 AM   #22
Keepleft
Mot Adv-NSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ken2903
SNIPPED - Agreed, one earns - by foul deed - a demerit point rather than having them to lose, but up to a maximum. Its an old corrective argument I have with a few folk.

Utterly dumb, the penalty for not using indicators whatsoever in NSW use to earn you two demerits, now none. Useless swines.

We can now ignore roundabout rules more readily with less punitive demerit damage, AND we can tailgate more often as the demerits one gained from doing so has reduced from three to two!

They have simply fine tuned the financial 'sweet spot' as we say.

I'll see what they have done in relation to demerit points for doing illegal U-Turns on freeway class roads. Update should be on RTA's website today.

They are trying to make Sydney-NSW drivers "as bad" as those based in Melbourne-The Peoples Republic of Viktoria. Not good.
ORDER FORD AUSTRALIA PART NO: AM6U7J19G329AA. This is a European-UN/AS3790B Spec safety-warning triangle used to give advanced warning to approaching traffic of a vehicle breakdown, or crash scene (to prevent secondary). Stow in the boot area. See your Ford dealer for this $35.95 safety item & when you buy a new Ford, please insist on it! See Page 83, part 4.4.1 http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/media...eSafePart4.pdf
Keepleft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-11-2010, 02:15 PM   #23
DBourne
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by The G6ET Spot
That is just to let you know that they have already clocked you. As they have already clocked your speed when you are approx 2-300 metres from them
Exactly what I was thinking. Should be "50m from the radars range"
Old 25-11-2010, 02:41 PM   #24
aualright

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keepleft
Utterly dumb, the penalty for not using indicators whatsoever in NSW use to earn you two demerits, now none. Useless swines.

We can now ignore roundabout rules more readily with less punitive demerit damage, AND we can tailgate more often as the demerits one gained from doing so has reduced from three to two!

They have simply fine tuned the financial 'sweet spot' as we say.

I'll see what they have done in relation to demerit points for doing illegal U-Turns on freeway class roads. Update should be on RTA's website today.

They are trying to make Sydney-NSW drivers "as bad" as those based in Melbourne-The Peoples Republic of Viktoria. Not good.
I also think ignoring roundabout rules and tailgating are more dangerous than the other offences and those who offend will always get my middle finger along with the appropriate abuse.

To reduce the penalties for these offences is ridiculous. In fact for some of the busier roundabouts it is downright irresponsible considering there are so many idiots who think they are the only ones on the road.

aualright is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2010, 03:20 PM   #25
chop54
chop54

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by SgtBourne
Exactly what I was thinking. Should be "50m from the radars range"
we all know speed camera's have been proven over and over again they can not give you a true reading on how fast you where going , the only way to stop people drive to fast or like a nut is to put more marked cars on the road , and take the the unmarked d ones off , speed camera's = cash , unmarked cars = cash , fully marked cars = better policing + safer roads = less cash which the government will never do .
chop54 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-11-2010, 11:04 PM   #26
JimNiki
71Mach1

Just as a hypo, what would happen if we all stopped speeding for a couple of months...
What other devious rules and bylaws will they introduce to continue to commit their daylight robbery... I'm sure they start to fine drivers for going more than 5 km/h under the limit on the freeway! They'll call us dangerous menaces trying to create accidents...

thieving *****.
violets are #0000FF
all my base
are belong to you

Last edited by JimNiki; 26-11-2010 at 11:12 PM.
JimNiki is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2010, 02:30 AM   #27
Neale
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think giving people a licence without formally training them & then booking them when they find out the hard way how to drive is just a cash grab & not Road Safety.

Adding points is just mockng the system, of taking the licence off pepole that shouldnt have one. What there really saying is drive as bad as you want as long as you can pay the bills.

If they actually funded Advanced Driver training subsidies instead of "safety Cameras" not only would they get my vote they would probably reduce the road toll.

But how can they make money if people dont make as many mistakes?? & it costs them money to do that.
Neale is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2010, 12:00 PM   #28
bigsta
Making superman jealous

Quote:
Originally Posted by trippytaka
NO loss of points for not indicating? WTF? That's one of the most dangerous things someone can do on the road!

JUst because it's become the norm to not give a toss about your fellow man, and to merge without care or thought of what others are doing or might have planned, doesn't mean it should be acceptable! FFS!
Absolutely agree with the exception of school zones and residential streets i really do not think doing up to 20kph over the limit even deserves a fine where as not using your indicator is dangerous and probably a leading cause of accidents.

BTW i think these new "safety cameras" are teh most unsafe thing since razor blades in watermelons, the RTA actually enforce on driving tests checking the intersection before going through it I always do it as you just cause the light is green does not mean that someone else is not being stupid but now we are all drones fixated on our speedos let the accidents ensue.

Also I can see what a vote grabber this is and how dodge, corrupt and desperate this government is but I would really not be surprised if they win again im sorry i am sydney born and bred but there is so many stupid ppl in this town who will fall for this sorta crap and than kenally will receive her bonus board seat from Macquarie Bank and we will proceed one step closer to the ninth level of hell.

2006 SY Territory Ghia AWD in ego with roof mount DVD, tints, 7 seats, iPod input

2005 Crewman Cross 8 with 350 cubic inches, AWD, black on black rims on black leather, tints and polished racks
NEW TOY Bayliner 185, inboard 3L 4 cylinder pushing us along at 50MPH whenever i get a chance

I love Aussie cars and are gonna really miss them soon.......
bigsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2010, 12:33 PM   #29
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

If the NSW government were the least bit honest about their true intentions,
they would do away with the demerit points system and just the triple fines.

Everyone knows that the motorist is the biggest cash cow the government has....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2010, 08:22 PM   #30
Ben73
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNiki
Just as a hypo, what would happen if we all stopped speeding for a couple of months...
What other devious rules and bylaws will they introduce to continue to commit their daylight robbery... I'm sure they start to fine drivers for going more than 5 km/h under the limit on the freeway! They'll call us dangerous menaces trying to create accidents...

thieving *****.
^^^That's true. They will make up new rules to make money.
Ben73 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post