Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-11-2010, 09:06 PM   #31
dogfish

Hey maybe this is a positive for the consumer as rust means that the steel is growing so your actually getting more car for your dollar.

THE TOY:2003 CV8R Monaro 6Spd Manual.
dogfish is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-11-2010, 09:31 PM   #32
Auturbo6
The only thing u'll see!!

It is normal, but not to this extent, the water pump pulley also has rust. I wonder what conditions this vehicle has been subject to, to acumulate this much corrosion. And if this is the amount of rust accumulated on the block (even the aluminium engine mount bracket shows signs of corrosion), one can only wonder what other parts of the car are already oxidising. Falcons already have big issues with corrosion bettween the spot welded panels that make up the car let alone this kind of helping hand...
Old 27-11-2010, 10:32 PM   #33
bigsta
Making superman jealous

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Auturbo6
It is normal, but not to this extent, the water pump pulley also has rust. I wonder what conditions this vehicle has been subject to, to acumulate this much corrosion. And if this is the amount of rust accumulated on the block (even the aluminium engine mount bracket shows signs of corrosion), one can only wonder what other parts of the car are already oxidising. Falcons already have big issues with corrosion bettween the spot welded panels that make up the car let alone this kind of helping hand...
Agreed I would not worry too much about the block but it does look s***house and would turn a wandering buyer off, but the rust on the pulley suggests to me that something else is going on with this car.

2006 SY Territory Ghia AWD in ego with roof mount DVD, tints, 7 seats, iPod input

2005 Crewman Cross 8 with 350 cubic inches, AWD, black on black rims on black leather, tints and polished racks
NEW TOY Bayliner 185, inboard 3L 4 cylinder pushing us along at 50MPH whenever i get a chance

I love Aussie cars and are gonna really miss them soon.......
bigsta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2010, 01:54 AM   #34
OzJavelin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falcon Coupe
Or an Coyote V8 from the light side.
touche ..
OzJavelin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2010, 02:43 AM   #35
zoomie
Owner of "0066" F6 310

At least when the engine "kaboom" in my G6ET the replacement engine from Ford was all nicely painted.... Guess thats 1 positive of having ya brand new car blow up 4 days after buying it LOL
zoomie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2010, 02:47 AM   #36
tezxr8man
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

saw a new supercharged GT the other day and it had light corrosion all over the alloy surfaces of the motor and looked sh*thouse,at the end of the day if it looks bad it will turn away buyers and ford and the sales people selling them should put just that little bit more effort into presenting them at times
tezxr8man is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2010, 03:43 AM   #37
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNiki
you mean rotors?
I'll forgive ford for that one cause the pads needs raw iron to bite onto.
(for us mere mortals who will never afford ceramics anyway)

but the rest is inexcusable...
how many guys have rebuilt their old skool engines (clevos and W's) and not painted the blocks? none! any repercussions? nup!
It's ford saving 2 bucks on paint.

In about 1993 Ford stopped painting radiators on cars here too. Money not spent on painting iron engine blocks and aluminium radiators (bet you thought I was going to spell it aluminum) adds up when you consider there is a radiator in EVERY car Ford sells, and Ford still makes millions of cast iron engine blocks. If they are saving $2 on each one then that adds up to real money.

How many "Average" people even really look at an engine compartment because they don't even know what they are looking at, I don't know, but I think that notion comes into play.

Personally, I'd rather pay the $2 to have the paint on my iron engine.

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2010, 11:02 AM   #38
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio XB

How many "Average" people even really look at an engine compartment
bingo. this is right up there with the funniest threads ever. show of hands how many people have turned away from a purchase because the engine block is 'dirty'!!

seriously
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2010, 11:20 AM   #39
XCwillo
Had Rep of GT-HO. Legit.

If i was looking for a ute i wouldn't buy the one i showed in pictures thats for sure. I'd order in a complete new one, i'd rather not get tetanus when changing over the water pump.
Old 28-11-2010, 11:47 AM   #40
Zedjay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XCwillo
If i was looking for a ute i wouldn't buy the one i showed in pictures thats for sure. I'd order in a complete new one, i'd rather not get tetanus when changing over the water pump.
lol yeah me too!!

that would turn me off buying a new falcon for sure!!
Zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2010, 12:11 PM   #41
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
dont be silly get them to knock $2 they saved off the price and you have a win.....
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2010, 12:20 PM   #42
mickyyyy
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

At least u know it's a seasoned block ready to be built for big hp hahahahaha
Old 28-11-2010, 01:11 PM   #43
kezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
bingo. this is right up there with the funniest threads ever. show of hands how many people have turned away from a purchase because the engine block is 'dirty'!!

seriously
Me. If you were a new car buyer, looking at a VE or FG without knowing much about either, seeing rust ANYWHERE would be a big turnoff. I didn't notice any on my FG when buying it, but I can see it building up currently, and honestly not happy in the slightest. It's 2010 ffs!!!

FG XR6: pacemaker sterline coated headers, Xr8 snorkel + modified CAI, 100cpsi ballistic cat, 20" rims, lower with shocks, custom catback exhaust, custom spacers, tune soon to come, 1/4mile soon to come.
kezzer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2010, 01:13 PM   #44
kezzer

"Built ford RUST"
FG XR6: pacemaker sterline coated headers, Xr8 snorkel + modified CAI, 100cpsi ballistic cat, 20" rims, lower with shocks, custom catback exhaust, custom spacers, tune soon to come, 1/4mile soon to come.
Old 28-11-2010, 01:24 PM   #45
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by kezzer
Me. If you were a new car buyer, looking at a VE or FG without knowing much about either, seeing rust ANYWHERE would be a big turnoff. I didn't notice any on my FG when buying it, but I can see it building up currently, and honestly not happy in the slightest. It's 2010 ffs!!!

its cast iron!! next people will be complaining that their intake manifold is 'rusting'.

when people talk about 'rust' its usually referring to the cancer that eats away at sheetmetal and the like, not a rust colour on a cast iron block.
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2010, 01:57 PM   #46
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

sorry but most sheep wouldnt even know how to open a bonnet that is a mechanics job..... let alone notice that a doo thingy wacky has brown paint on it..........
Old 28-11-2010, 02:25 PM   #47
kezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
its cast iron!! next people will be complaining that their intake manifold is 'rusting'.

when people talk about 'rust' its usually referring to the cancer that eats away at sheetmetal and the like, not a rust colour on a cast iron block.
It sure is cast iron Doesn't change the fact it's damn ugly in whats meant to be a modern day car. Also embarrasing!! Specially for a car enthusiast.

Can just imagine going to a car show "ignore the rust, its cast iron!!"

Old 28-11-2010, 02:27 PM   #48
kezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pottery beige
sorry but most sheep wouldnt even know how to open a bonnet that is a mechanics job..... let alone notice that a doo thingy wacky has brown paint on it..........
Yeah because that makes having visible rust under your hood ok.

They go through all this effort with engine covers etc on engines, yet neglect to put $2 worth of paint to keep her looking nice.

Built ford fail
Old 28-11-2010, 02:31 PM   #49
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Why would you be changing a water pump on a new ute??

I would be more concerned about the water pump failing than the colouring on the block. As others have said that will settle down after a k's.

And how would a complete new ute be any different? None have painted blocks.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2010, 02:34 PM   #50
04redxr8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

They go through all this effort with engine covers etc on engines, yet neglect to put $2 worth of paint to keep her looking nice.

Built ford fail
Have you checked under you bonnet? If you a have an FG XR6, you have the same rusty non painted motor too.
04redxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2010, 02:44 PM   #51
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Remember that as well as not normally opening the bonnet at all, with the FG I6 the normal person would be struggling to see the engine block under the plastic intake etc on one side, and the exhaust heat shield and stuff on the other. It is not obvious at all unless you deliberately look for it.

My car still has the bare silvery finish on the engine block 2 months after delivery, hasnt started rusting yet. Would be good if I had some time off and put some paint on it while its still like it is.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2010, 02:59 PM   #52
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Built ford fail
looks like you must belong to the left lane bonnet popper gang......
This user likes this post:
Old 28-11-2010, 03:06 PM   #53
kezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
Have you checked under you bonnet? If you a have an FG XR6, you have the same rusty non painted motor too.
Hence my disapointment.

Quote:
looks like you must belong to the left lane bonnet popper gang......
Cool story bro
Old 28-11-2010, 03:11 PM   #54
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

^^^ keep those brown tears flowing everytime you pop your bonnet then champ....
Old 28-11-2010, 03:13 PM   #55
kezzer

Quote:
^^^ keep those brown tears flowing everytime you pop your bonnet then champ....
Nah I'll be alright. Thanks for your concern buddy
Old 28-11-2010, 03:16 PM   #56
ebxr8240
Performance moderator

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Always willing to help out with technical advice. 

Looks like they have fixed the oil leaks...
Dart 330ci block turbo black pearl EBXR8 482 rwkw..
Daily driver GTE FG..
Projects http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=107711
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...8+turbo&page=4
ebxr8240 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2010, 03:17 PM   #57
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04redxr8
My R6's I-6 block is not that light rusty colour,
it's darkish reddish black and looks almost painted,
it does have about 30,000 klms on it now....
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2010, 03:29 PM   #58
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Nah I'll be alright. Thanks for your concern buddy
i'm not concerned at all your the one having a sooky.. now your obviously upset and embarassed about your rusty block.. what have you done about it did you have a waa waa at Mr Ford??.. what was the outcome??.. **** off and paint it yourself??....
Old 28-11-2010, 03:37 PM   #59
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin
Buy an aluminum V8 from the dark side .. They don't rust ..

Well they need that when the GTS owner is looking at the engine and scratching his head when the Ford performance models keep destroying them.
Old 28-11-2010, 03:42 PM   #60
kezzer

Quote:
i'm not concerned at all your the one having a sooky.. now your obviously upset and embarassed about your rusty block.. what have you done about it did you have a waa waa at Mr Ford??.. what was the outcome??.. **** off and paint it yourself??....
Naww aren't you cute. Pretending now not to be concerned.
Thats just sweet

Yes, I'm embarrased to own a new ford with noticable rust under the hood.
Most people would. I have every right to be happy or upset with MY car.
If you don't care about your dirty car well thats your own affair. Already talked to my dealer and Mr Fraud and they will be fixing it, as well as the other issues I'm currently having. Thats what warranty is for afterall. You'd make a horrible dealer, "my engine blew up", "waa waa have a cry and get ********"

If there's anything else I can oblige you with, please let me know.