Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 28-11-2010, 03:50 PM   #61
MexicanBatman
Banned

Wipe a thin film of cooking oil over the block and when it heats up it will season the block just like a frying pan, well like frying pans used to be before the non stick crap, and it will be a nice dark colour with slight sheen

Or leave it rusty, then when you drag off that HSV, you can say haha this rusty pos beat your crappy plastic toy, or if you lose, then you can say, man the motor is rusted out bro!!
MexicanBatman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2010, 03:52 PM   #62
FNQracing
RAGE Engineering

Speaking of cast iron blocks - how many modern day engines don't have an alloy block?
Old 28-11-2010, 04:06 PM   #63
kezzer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicanBatman
Wipe a thin film of cooking oil over the block and when it heats up it will season the block just like a frying pan, well like frying pans used to be before the non stick crap, and it will be a nice dark colour with slight sheen

Or leave it rusty, then when you drag off that HSV, you can say haha this rusty pos beat your crappy plastic toy, or if you lose, then you can say, man the motor is rusted out bro!!
ahahahaha some good points!!

Might try that though!! Cheers mate
FG XR6: pacemaker sterline coated headers, Xr8 snorkel + modified CAI, 100cpsi ballistic cat, 20" rims, lower with shocks, custom catback exhaust, custom spacers, tune soon to come, 1/4mile soon to come.
kezzer is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2010, 04:31 PM   #64
Sample
Starter Motor

Quote:

Sample is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2010, 05:29 PM   #65
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:

Just spray it with engine degreaser and give it a wash,
the residue will darken up the rusty block and put things right...
jpd80 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2010, 07:36 PM   #66
TUF_302
The Vengeful One
Donating Member1

We shall call it the Ford brown motor lol!
Old 28-11-2010, 07:52 PM   #67
Dave_au
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't really think a rusty engine block is quite the image that Ford want's to portray to potential customers. Pretty poor cost cutting IMHO.
Dave_au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2010, 08:41 PM   #68
JimNiki
71Mach1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio XB
In about 1993 Ford stopped painting radiators on cars here too. Money not spent on painting iron engine blocks and aluminium radiators (bet you thought I was going to spell it aluminum) adds up when you consider there is a radiator in EVERY car Ford sells, and Ford still makes millions of cast iron engine blocks. If they are saving $2 on each one then that adds up to real money.

How many "Average" people even really look at an engine compartment because they don't even know what they are looking at, I don't know, but I think that notion comes into play.

Personally, I'd rather pay the $2 to have the paint on my iron engine.

Steve
Steve, have you met Don from Ohio Mustang?
I've bought a bit from him over the years...

cheers...
violets are #0000FF
all my base
are belong to you
JimNiki is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-11-2010, 10:26 PM   #69
tex
Broken

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: With the exception of maybe HSE2, nobody writes a review like Texy. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzJavelin
Buy an aluminum V8 from the dark side .. They don't rust ..
Or a GT40 supercar alloy block and fill it with the good stuff.

Yes, that is a great solution

11.4 @ 128, 1.88 60ft.
tex is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2010, 03:12 AM   #70
Ohio XB
Compulsive Hobbiest

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimNiki
Steve, have you met Don from Ohio Mustang?
I've bought a bit from him over the years...

cheers...

You mean to tell me that Ohio Mustang has literally be right across the street from the Ford plant I work at and don't know it??? Holy crap! Tell him he needs a sign! The copyright on his website is 2003 so he's been there for 7 years without me knowing it. How does that happen? Thanks for the heads up. Geesshh!!

Quote:
Can just imagine going to a car show "ignore the rust, its cast iron!!"

I am personally a little bothered by someone that buys a car from a dealership and then drives it to a show where many people are displaying cars they have worked on for years, rebuilt, customized, and have literally left their DNA in skin and blood on the car.......and then this car straight from the dealership pulls up. Hey, it's still available at a dealership if I want to see one of those. I come to a show to see cars people have worked on or had worked on, restored, rebuilt, customized, and slaved over. I see new cars on the street everyday. I don't need an event to see a new car.

Ok, personal rant over....

Quote:
They go through all this effort with engine covers etc on engines, yet neglect to put $2 worth of paint to keep her looking nice.
THAT is a very good point. Evidently Ford is concerned about the underhood appearance with all the plastic covers to hide things, but then why leave the block to rust like that? I think I am going to send Dearborn a company email about that.

A few weeks ago we went to where our daughter is going to college to see her perform with the marching band. Her boyfriend's parents were there too. We drove my wife's 1966 Mustang to the event as it was a nice day and probably the last chance to drive the car due to winter. The boyfriend's parents were checking out the car, and the 50 year old mother was admiring the engine. She said she didn't even know what she was looking at but it was beautiful. Then she made the comment that you could see the ground while looking in the engine compartment. She asked if something had happened. I told her no, that's how all cars are, you just can't see past the engine in modern, tight engine compartments. She said that she always thought the engine compartment had a solid floor, like a trunk.

This is an older woman who has driven cars all her life, and she didn't even know that the engine compartment was not like a trunk (boot). I think these are the people Ford is expecting when they leave the iron blocks bare, but yeah, then why all the covers?

Steve

My XB Interceptor project

Wife's 1966 Mustang

My Artworks and Creative Projects Site
Oil Paintings, Airbrushing, Metal Sculpture,
Custom Cars, Replica Movie Props, Videos,
and more!
Ohio XB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2010, 07:37 AM   #71
XR Martin
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FFOracing
Speaking of cast iron blocks - how many modern day engines don't have an alloy block?
Diesels....
2016 FGX XR8 Sprint, 6speed manual, Kinetic Blue #170

2004 BA wagon RTV project.

1998 EL XR8, Auto, Hot Chilli Red

1993 ED XR6, 5speed, Polynesian Green. 1 of 329. Retired

1968 XT Falcon 500 wagon, 3 on the tree, 3.6L. Patina project.
XR Martin is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2010, 11:35 AM   #72
big_landau
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i dont care what anyone says but this isnt a good look,a person who knows little about cars would be horrified to see any form of rust on a brand new car.no wonder ford sales are in trouble
big_landau is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2010, 04:21 PM   #73
prydey
Rob

why is it being referred to as 'rust'?
prydey is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2010, 05:58 PM   #74
DanielXR8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
why is it being referred to as 'rust'?
Well I'm pretty sure its not velour trim! It is an oxide coating on the block that looks the same as rust to me, but I'm open to suggestions.

What is it then?

Dan
DanielXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2010, 06:40 PM   #75
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

it smells like rust
looks like rust
feels like rust
and tastes like rust then it must be rust.
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2010, 06:48 PM   #76
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain awesome
it smells like rust
looks like rust
feels like rust
and tastes like rust then it must be rust.

You look pretty strange smelling your engine block....
Old 29-11-2010, 06:52 PM   #77
Giant Cranium
PURSUIT 250
Donating Member2

not half as strange as when i lick it
Giant Cranium is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2010, 07:29 PM   #78
xtremerus
FG XR6T trayback

Alloy doesn't 'rust', but still has corrosion. Just a difference of colour, that's all.
xtremerus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2010, 08:02 PM   #79
spvd02

What a laugh A big fail on Ford's part - what were they thinking?
spvd02 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2010, 12:29 AM   #80
XAGSV8
Member 178

If I purchased a new falcon and it turned up like this I would not except it. I just don't like buying new things with rust on them. Owing an XA also makes me very paranoid about rust.

1963 Morris Mini

1999 NU Fairlane Ghia
XAGSV8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2010, 01:39 AM   #81
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by XAGSV8
If I purchased a new falcon and it turned up like this I would not except it. I just don't like buying new things with rust on them. Owing an XA also makes me very paranoid about rust.
on a very quiet day you can hear an XA rusting.....
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post