Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 29-11-2010, 06:48 PM   #1
Glen 5150
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Buying First Car, Any Suggestions

Looking at buying my niece her first car and its my shout and i'm looking at spending around $5-6k on something reliable as she's in an isolated area. Is this to much? Been looking at Toyota Echo's and AE 112r Corollas. Anybody got any other suggestions on makes and models or thoughts or have been through this as a parent/relative/friend? Its very difficult, as i'd rather see her in something around $2-3k that is bound to get damaged, scratched and mechanically abused etc... as she learns and has more respect for cars, but for that money it would have questionable reliability, and maybe cost her more money in the long run?

Any thoughts would be appreciated?

Glen 5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2010, 06:51 PM   #2
TheZHLANE
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

e series falcon, cheap as chips
TheZHLANE is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2010, 06:58 PM   #3
BIG_BOSS
BA XR8 UTE

i used to have an old 2wd hilux with the 3Y motor in it, could not kill the motor, and advantages of having ute = cant take to man passengers. allways good for people learning to drive
BIG_BOSS is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2010, 06:58 PM   #4
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

$5-6k: AU Falcon. You will find a decent one easily in this price range, from forte to fairmont. And cars dont come more reliable than these.

$2-3k: EF-EL Falcon. If you look hard enough, you also will find a decent one in this category. Avoid car yards.

My 2c.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2010, 07:11 PM   #5
BFZF8

I'll put in another vote for EF-EL as well. Great value especially if you look for a Fairmont. Cheap, safe and moderately luxurious by today's standards.
BFZF8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2010, 07:36 PM   #6
ThaFlash
Trusted Seller

sounds like a job for mitsubishi magna mid 90's model, 4cyl, you will find some with 150k or less, great for women, not to big, reasonably cheap to run and prob only cost 3-4 thou
ThaFlash is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2010, 08:04 PM   #7
Auturbo6
The only thing u'll see!!

The BEST vehicle to purchase, for not only reliability and fuel economy but also for value for money, is the Mitsubishi mirage or lancer. Would personally consider nothing else.
Old 29-11-2010, 08:09 PM   #8
XRFutura
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A bit biased but i'll vote e-series. had mine since I was on L's 5 years ago, only problem I have had with it was the gearbox, but that only happened a 2 years ago. The old girl has never missed a beat.

My mum has had a AU forte S1 since 2001, havn't had one single problem with it, You might even be able to look at BA's as well, you could pick up a good XT or Futura for that budget.

I'm a big believer in that if the person is taught in a large car, they become a better driver due to the fact they know how such a car would behave and can translate that knowledge into other cars.

Past Vehicles:
2015 Ford Territory TS MKII - diesel burner
2016 Ford FM Mustang GT - The Dream Car
2007 FPV BF MKII GT - popping the V8 cherry
1997 Ford EL Falcon Futura - 6 cylinders of fury
XRFutura is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2010, 08:09 PM   #9
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scotty85
$5-6k: AU Falcon. You will find a decent one easily in this price range, from forte to fairmont. And cars dont come more reliable than these.

$2-3k: EF-EL Falcon. If you look hard enough, you also will find a decent one in this category. Avoid car yards.

My 2c.
Top choice and generally speaking they wont cave in like a small jappa when the SHTF. Cannot believe how some people have an Echo etc as a family car, If I had kids I wouldn't let em drive one.
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2010, 08:17 PM   #10
FrogInASock
Getahaircutandgetarealjob

TE and onwards V6 Magna, or equivalent Verada for a bit of luxury. The newer 24v engine, not the older 12v.
Old 29-11-2010, 08:17 PM   #11
Ford_The_Win
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

You've gotta look at it from a woman's perspective. Most young girls I know don't want a big Falcon for their first car. She'll probably be intimidated by the size, find it difficult to park, lament it's thirst and won't appreciate the grunt. If I was in the OP's position, I would be definitely looking at late 90s/early 2000s model Lancers, Corollas or Pulsars, even some decent Lasers from that era. They can handle a bit of neglect, are reasonably priced, are the right size, and are much better than their Hyundai Excel/Daewoo/Kia rivals.
Ford_The_Win is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2010, 08:36 PM   #12
fordomatic
Donating Member
Donating Member1

corolla for sure
fordomatic is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2010, 08:54 PM   #13
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by XRFutura
I'm a big believer in that if the person is taught in a large car, they become a better driver due to the fact they know how such a car would behave and can translate that knowledge into other cars.
Excellent post. Many may see it as opinionated, but in my experience (whilst not as much as many out there) that ideology has worked well. And is something I also firmly believe in.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2010, 09:02 PM   #14
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

I'd be looking at a nice little Laser, I have had many of them and still own one, great little vehicle's, I have never had any drama's with any of them, great to drive, great on fuel, what more could you ask for,
There's this one on here for sale right now aswell,
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11313308
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2010, 09:22 PM   #15
pottery beige
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick_1010
You've gotta look at it from a woman's perspective. Most young girls I know don't want a big Falcon for their first car. She'll probably be intimidated by the size, find it difficult to park, lament it's thirst and won't appreciate the grunt. If I was in the OP's position, I would be definitely looking at late 90s/early 2000s model Lancers, Corollas or Pulsars, even some decent Lasers from that era. They can handle a bit of neglect, are reasonably priced, are the right size, and are much better than their Hyundai Excel/Daewoo/Kia rivals.
spot on.... my younger sisters are very happy with their little girly Lasers...... easy to drive, cheap rego, cheap to run and maintain what else could you want....
pottery beige is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2010, 09:46 PM   #16
Zedjay
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

RAV4 would be my pick
Zedjay is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2010, 09:54 PM   #17
casabonka
You can call me Chris

another vote for a early 00 lancer. so cheap to run. my gf learnt do drive in it and had no issues. very reliable too. plenty of syd to melb trips during summer and never missed a beat!!
-Rear Whiteline swaybay
-Lenso 18's w/Kumho rubber
-Tinted Windows
casabonka is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-11-2010, 10:42 PM   #18
388cube_edxr8
Nutty Professor

Fiesta/Festiva, depending on budget.
If you buy a rubbish car, what you are saying is "I have no interest in cars." If you have no interest in cars, you have no interest in driving, and if you have no interest in something, it means you're no good at it, which means you must have your driving license taken away.
388cube_edxr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2010, 10:00 AM   #19
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5150gk
Looking at buying my niece her first car and its my shout and i'm looking at spending around $5-6k on something reliable as she's in an isolated area. Is this to much? Been looking at Toyota Echo's and AE 112r Corollas. Anybody got any other suggestions on makes and models or thoughts or have been through this as a parent/relative/friend? Its very difficult, as i'd rather see her in something around $2-3k that is bound to get damaged, scratched and mechanically abused etc... as she learns and has more respect for cars, but for that money it would have questionable reliability, and maybe cost her more money in the long run?

Any thoughts would be appreciated?
Have you asked what your niece needs / prefers??

Small / medium / large?

Auto / manual?

Sedan / hatch / ute / wagon?

How many doors??

Any towing / carrying multiple people a lot of the time?

Ground clearance issues / dirt roads / 4x4 / AWD (referring to isolated area)

Petrol / Diesel / LPG?

If I knew a person was buying a car for me they would have all the answers to the above first.
Yellow_Festiva is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2010, 10:54 AM   #20
AndrewR_AUII
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The other issue to consider is insurance on the vehicle.

Being a first car, comprehensive is going to be really expensive to the point it may not be worth having. In that case, you need a car that is either easily fixable (i.e. common) or 'disposable'. If you don't get comp. insurance though, the car MUST have at least Third party property.
AndrewR_AUII is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-11-2010, 12:45 PM   #21
Glen 5150
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellow_Festiva
Have you asked what your niece needs / prefers??

Small / medium / large?

Auto / manual?

Sedan / hatch / ute / wagon?

How many doors??

Any towing / carrying multiple people a lot of the time?

Ground clearance issues / dirt roads / 4x4 / AWD (referring to isolated area)

Petrol / Diesel / LPG?

If I knew a person was buying a car for me they would have all the answers to the above first.
Her parents have no money so thats why i'm paying, so at the end of the day i'll be making the final decision for her. Definately 4cyl and she would prefer auto. 3 or 5 door hatch or sedan, really doesnt matter. Really looking for something ultra reliable and probably boring to her? Something that will hold its value when she wants to update. I'm a Ford man through and through but the Corolla seems to be the pick of the bunch and ticks most of the boxes. Its actually amazing what you can find if your prepared to hunt around. The depreciation of modern cars and this throw away society when something becomes out of fashion or not flash enough is quite frightening.
Glen 5150 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post