Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 24-07-2014, 07:36 PM   #1
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Smile Madaya on the Road

Here I am at Carnarvon on the sunny West Australian Gascoyne Coast.
Spent the first night at a mate's who lives in Geraldton. We went out for a feed and a few beers.
I'll put my feet up here for the night, I'll grab a motel room and upload a few pics, though not too much to report so far.
Getting 10 litres per 100 km, cruising between 105 and 110kmh (trip meter reading, I'll compare it to the fuel bills). Only thing seen near the road that was hazardous was GOATS. They weren't there when I last passed up this way 28 years ago. Now, I like a goat, who doesn't, but these guys are desert
makers.

2010 FG XR6 I6 CC Ute, Nitro colour. lsd, sports suspension, Ford 18's fitted with Michelin Primacy 3 ST 245x45x18, MW Quick Shifter, Pacemaker 4500 Extractors, Carbuilders Soundproofing, KPM Street Fighter CAI
Madaya is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2014, 07:57 PM   #2
olfella
Cranky old bastard

Default Re: Madaya on the Road

Happy and safe travels. Hope to see some outstanding pics every now and then.
olfella is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2014, 08:50 PM   #3
tut0r
Donating Member
Donating Member2

Can't wait to see some of the pics from your trip! Stay safe mate and make sure you have fun.

Mods to Date
Ceramic Coated Pacemaker 4495s
2.5" Dual Venom exhaust,
Bluepower CAI
Eaton True Trac with 3.9s
20% Underdrive
EcoLpi Motor

RWKW: 200.0
Nm: 394

Mods to Follow
Supercharger
T56 Conversion TR6060
tut0r is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-07-2014, 10:16 PM   #4
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Just done a few calcs for those who are interested...(Bunbury to Geraldton)

Remembering that my tyres are 245x45x18 (instead of OEM 245x40x18) it means my odometer and litre/km is thrown out a bit. So...

Going by the roadside km signs (and I've averaged this over a year of driving) my odometer is reading --- 100km is actually 104.2.

Petrol in to kilometres via trip meter is 10l per 100.
Going by the pump, allowing for errors and calcs = 9.81 per 100
Just on 29mpg old school at about 105kmh average - includes usual Perth shuffle.

Great going.
2010 FG XR6 I6 CC Ute, Nitro colour. lsd, sports suspension, Ford 18's fitted with Michelin Primacy 3 ST 245x45x18, MW Quick Shifter, Pacemaker 4500 Extractors, Carbuilders Soundproofing, KPM Street Fighter CAI
5 users like this post:
Old 24-07-2014, 10:40 PM   #5
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Enjoy the trip Gaz, keep in touch.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2014, 03:13 PM   #6
NTF6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madaya View Post
Here I am at Carnarvon on the sunny West Australian Gascoyne Coast.
Spent the first night at a mate's who lives in Geraldton. We went out for a feed and a few beers.
I'll put my feet up here for the night, I'll grab a motel room and upload a few pics, though not too much to report so far.
Getting 10 litres per 100 km, cruising between 105 and 110kmh (trip meter reading, I'll compare it to the fuel bills). Only thing seen near the road that was hazardous was GOATS. They weren't there when I last passed up this way 28 years ago. Now, I like a goat, who doesn't, but these guys are desert
makers.
Was the goats name Gary?
Old 25-07-2014, 06:11 PM   #7
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I'm pretty sure the goat's name was Clive. He high twoed me as I rushed past. Gone, but not forgotten.
Old 25-07-2014, 06:26 PM   #8
Trump
bitch lasagne

Have a good, safe trip Gaz.
I'm planning something similar towards the end of the year. Not as long as your sojourn, Melb to Bris via the coast and back via inland route(s).

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2014, 07:31 PM   #9
Gypzy
FG XR6 Tray back

Nothing wrong with 29mpg, loaded too! Watch out for those jumping Emblems, lots of them looking for a feed somewhere too, and a place to bed down. Make sure you zip the swag closed if you don't want any unwelcome visitors.
Cheers, Gypzy.
Gypzy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-07-2014, 07:53 PM   #10
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gypzy View Post
Nothing wrong with 29mpg, loaded too! Watch out for those jumping Emblems, lots of them looking for a feed somewhere too, and a place to bed down. Make sure you zip the swag closed if you don't want any unwelcome visitors.
Cheers, Gypzy.
I'd be watching out for the cattle further north, plenty of front plastic bumpers & cattle on side of the road last time I did a trip like this.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-07-2014, 09:35 AM   #11
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Pretty poor updates. I'm on the road but Optus is not
Yes Optus becomes pretty much No Optus
Still, here I am at Kununurra and I have Some Optus, so I'll take 5 (hours ) and try and upload a few pics...
2 users like this post:
Old 31-07-2014, 01:50 PM   #12
Trump
bitch lasagne

Quote:
Pretty poor updates. I'm on the road but Optus is not
Yes Optus becomes pretty much No Optus
Still, here I am at Kununurra and I have Some Optus, so I'll take 5 (hours ) and try and upload a few pics...
Good old Droptus

Scaled Business Solutions
For Your Small Business IT Needs
Trump is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-08-2014, 04:39 PM   #13
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Here I am at Darwin.
Below are a few pics that I hope turn out okay.
Before heading up the Tanami Road, I asked a trucker his opinion if whether I could get the FG up to the Crater. This bloke was pulling 3 cattle trailers up the Tanami. He looked at the Ute and said no way. He pointed out he'd busted springs and tyres. Never one to take advice, I got to the turn off which turned out to be 120 kilometres of corrugation, which if you run right at 80 to 90 kmh, wasn't to bad. Hills and corners I had to slow down as the corrugation became very choppy, even at the edges of the road.
Finally the turnoff to the Crater.
I flagged down a couple in a four wheel drive, returning from the Wolfe.
The man said the road was pretty rough. No worries. I figured it couldn't be worse than the Tanami.
Wrong.
These corrugations where about the width of a tyre, spaced all over the place and about 3 to 4 inches from peak to trough. I tried running fast, but the bonnet was trying to jump off it's hinges.
Tracking the edges, I rolled along at about 20kph, in second, sometimes even less. A 4WD guy stopped on the road to let air out of his tyres, he suggested I do the same. I told him, I've got no air to let out . Low profile tyres are not for the desert.
Finally after taking an hour to travel 20 kilometres, the crater rim came into view. Below are a few pics. A stunning vista. The violence of the event can only be imagined. Of course, photo's do not do it justice, but the trip was definitely worth the view.

The old OTC Dish at Carnarvon

My first car was was exactly the same but grey in colour, Just about as rusty too.

My home on the tray. Good comfortable bed.

Good Old Red Dog. Dampier, WA

Roeburn's Hot Rod Shop. Makes you wonder what it was in it's heyday.

Me at the Roeburn Lookout.

The silky smooth Tanimi Road

A Ford to Far. Saw 3 of them by the side of the road.

The not so smooth access road to the Crater. Bits of car seen along the way.
Even the 4 wheel drives take a pull.

Me at the crater rim. Photo's do not do it justice. Awesome.
Old 02-08-2014, 02:37 PM   #14
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

Awesome mate. I live in Alice, but haven't gone out to the crater yet - will have to make the journey now that I've seen your pictures!
Old 02-08-2014, 04:56 PM   #15
Bill M
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks for sharing the photos, they are great!
I do like your sleeping arrangements in the ute, I have done similar on week ends but not on the scale you are with your trip.
Safe traveling.
cheers
Bill.
Old 02-08-2014, 05:12 PM   #16
XP6
Formerly ST170ish

Yep I do the same with my swag on the ute... also saves getting the socks dirty if you need a 3am wizz!
Old 02-08-2014, 08:17 PM   #17
supershifty
Missing a sock...
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Dave has been a long time active member on the forums and in particular has been a busy volunteer whenever there are cruises and toys runs etc held in South East Qld. He actively gives up his time and ensures that the events are provided for, be it commun 

Crikey Gaz - have you got any fillings left in your teeth or discs left in your back? - those corrugations look evil!

Nice shot of the crater - heard about it before but never seen it.

Cheers!

Real friends + great times = sheer bliss!

Considering becoming an organ donor? Click here

QLD Events, Cruises and Get Togethers: Click here

Gain success instantly - lower your standards.

It's not government funded - it's taxpayer funded.
supershifty is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2014, 10:07 PM   #18
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

great pics, living out on the road, nothing like it, have a safe trip.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2014, 10:45 PM   #19
carwant.com.au
carwant.com.au

Great pictures, thanks for sharing and enjoy the rest of your trip
carwant.com.au is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2014, 09:44 AM   #20
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Standing near the epicentre.
Sounds eerily magnified.
The meteorite smashed in there about 300,000 years ago. Originally the crater floor was about 160 meters deep, but desert sand and dust have slowly filled it in to a present level, about 60 meters below the rim.

So, the workmates where ribbing me about the Crater trip. The Mick Taylor line "Head on a stick' was a favourite. One mate sent an email, she was asking if I met any 'scary people at Wolf(e) Creek'?
I replied, 'the only scary person out there was me'.

(insert Mick Taylor chuckle here).

Gaz
2 users like this post:
Old 03-08-2014, 09:57 AM   #21
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Vehicle update.
Still sitting on a calculated 10 to 10.1 on the highway. The trip to the crater bumped up a little to 10.3 because of the heavy going.
Calculated matches the computer pretty well.
The odometer reading is 4733.5km travelled so far which calculates to an actual 4956km.
Will leave Darwin on Tuesday morning. The Darwin Cup is on Monday. I probably wont go to the races, but use the distraction to see a bit more of the place, maybe visit a croc park, have never seen a live croc.
3 users like this post:
Old 03-08-2014, 03:34 PM   #22
Simple6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Tech article on rear bushes. 

Well Darwins got the 2 croc parks - crocosaurus cove in town and then crocodylus 20mins out. I liked crocodylus better personally - they'd have a thousand crocs there easily (most juveniles, but a fair few BIG boys too that they do feeding demonstrations on, all up nice and close).

Otherwise head out to Adelaide River cruises for wild jumping crocs (I haven't done that one).
Old 03-08-2014, 03:59 PM   #23
Itsme
Experienced Member

If you into aviation history check out the Air museum on the Stuart highway next to Darwin airport, some worthwhile exhibits including a B52 bomber.
http://darwinsaviationmuseum.wordpress.com/
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-08-2014, 05:11 PM   #24
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Thanks mates. Crocodylus it is. I'm in Palmerston so it's probably closer. Saw the Aviation Museum a few years ago. One of the best.
Old 05-08-2014, 07:12 AM   #25
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

After a nice break from the road here up at Darwin. It's time to say goodbye to my friends and head off early am.
Had a good discussion with my mate Pete who has travelled far over this land and his advice is one I take, I decided I will pass on going to Uluru this time around. It is such a long backtrack. I will take a left at Threeways and head East instead. There is still folk I want to see on the journey and places to go. The last thing I want to do is race the clock.
2 users like this post:
Old 05-08-2014, 01:32 PM   #26
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dunno how I missed your thread Madaya, just found it this morning. Would have been good to catch up with you before you left.

Cheers and a safe trip Vincenzo

"WRC is for boys, Group B was for men" - Juha Kankkunen 4 times World Rally Champion

Romanes Eunt Domus - 'people called Romanes they go the house' - You mean Romani Ite Domum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vincenzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-08-2014, 02:33 PM   #27
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Darn Vincenzo, just missed ya. Would have been great for sure.
But, I'll be up here again, gotta love the top end.
Currently down here at Katherine, Stuart Hotel, sharing the pub with the locals. Will head for the hot springs and then Threeways.
Highway is too busy for my liking...
Cheers mate,
Gaz
This user likes this post:
Old 05-08-2014, 02:51 PM   #28
Vincenzo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Darn Vincenzo, just missed ya. Would have been great for sure.
But, I'll be up here again, gotta love the top end.
Will send a PM to you with address / phone number so if /when you come back you can have free board / lodgings.

Stay safe - Vincenzo - always wear a condom

"WRC is for boys, Group B was for men" - Juha Kankkunen 4 times World Rally Champion

Romanes Eunt Domus - 'people called Romanes they go the house' - You mean Romani Ite Domum

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Vincenzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 07-08-2014, 08:56 AM   #29
Madaya
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well, here I am in Mount Isa, waiting for Coles to open so I can grab a few bits (i.e. Nicotine Gum ).
Mt Isa is probably a great place, but for me it would be like living at work with heavy industry and smoke stacks dominating the skyline.
My first port of call when I got to town was Macca's. Now I'm not a fan of the product, but in most towns they are well sign posted and offer a break from the road.
I chatted to the McManager about my trip. Told him I spent the better part of the night camped out on the Barkly Highway. His response was a bit like the lad on the Nissan 4WD add ("Springdale"!!! ) - "The Barkly! No one sleeps on the Barkly".
I must be the lucky one. But there was a bunch of other happy campers aswell.
Woke early and hit the road again around 4am to gobble the 140km or so left to go to Mt Isa. Gobbled at less than 70kmh. Scary Roo's, heaps of them. Most hopping away from the road, maybe my Roo whistles are helping, but still, can't take chances.
Fuel economy is up a bit. I would like to check out my air filter, but the air box lid is fastened down with Torx screws . Figures and pics later.
Cheers,
Gaz
3 users like this post:
Old 07-08-2014, 07:58 PM   #30
Gypzy
FG XR6 Tray back

Travelled the Darwin/Brisbane about half a doz times but not lately! Couldn't imagine many issues camping on the Barkly. It can be pretty messy if you collect one of those big Roos, end of trip sort of messy so drive wise! Enjoy sunny QLD while your in it. Nice weather this time of year but Ekka show normally brings the dry westerlies, hang on to your hat! Safe passage thru this great part of the country Madaya, cheers, Gypz.
Gypzy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post