Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 11-07-2011, 07:32 PM   #1
BA Baracus
xls

Default Dogs from RSPCA

Hey all, Having just bought our first home, having a fully fenced yard and finally being in a position to have our own dog we went to the RSPCA shelter on the weekend to see if we could get one to join the family. Went there thinking we could save a dog from uncertainty and it's probably a better thing to do then going to a pet store or whatever but we left kind of disheartened and puzzled.

They only had two types of puppies (about 4 of each type) and both were a bit unsuitable for us (grow too large). One was mastif cross Rotti, and other was German Shepard cross. They only have dogs that are handed in so no complaints that the puppies currently there aren't for us but what the missus and I find extremely strange is the adoption fee. The adoption fee from what I understood would be to cover the vaccination/ de-sexing/ micro-chipping and feeding of the puppies/dogs while in RSPCA care which is fine, however both sets of puppies were same age and roughly same sized dogs. Fee for a Mastif cross was $350, fee for a Shepard cross though was $600??? Maybe I'm overlooking something obvious (?) but on the surface it seems kind of unethical from their standpoint to put a higher value on one breed then another. $600 is a fair bit of cash to shell out for a dog of unknown origin too when comparing that to specific breeds in the local paper or even petstores so I'm sure those ones may miss out perfectly good homes.

We also inquired about taking an older dog. We thought everyone would go for puppies anyway and it would be cool to help out an older dog and give it a good life. We found a little 11 month old cattle dog cross female that seemed very friendly and would suit our place well but got told we couldn't have her as we have a young son (15 months) and for most non-puppies they won't allow you to take one unless no children in the house under 13yo. Found that confusing too because give it a few months and I reckon one of the Mastif/Rotti puppies would be a lot more of a worry around the little bloke then the older cattle dog would be in the same timeframe. He's fine with my inlaws dogs and friends dogs anyway and they aren't puppies or raised with little kids.

We discussed before going that if we didn't find any suitable we would just wait and go back a few times until one came up but now we don't know if we even want to. Just thought I'd post to ask for opinions on the whole thing cause I'm sure some of you would of got your dogs from the RSPCA or maybe even are involved with the organization somehow and could shed some light on what the deal is with the varied prices. We were under the impression it was a "go-between" for unwanted dogs and homes for them but now we dunno what to think.

BA Baracus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2011, 07:39 PM   #2
Zero_PSI
Banned

Default Re: Dogs from RSPCA

We got a mastif cross rotti from the wongfeild rspca and it was only a one off $500 fee. Vaccinated and desxed. I cant stand going to the pouns though. Crushes me seeing some of the most beautiful dogs abandones.
Zero_PSI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2011, 07:40 PM   #3
Smoke Pursuit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: DASH/bfiipursuit has been alot of help over the years I have frequented this forum, lots of thoughtful and informed posts, very much a valued contributor. 

I bought a blue cattle dog pup back in 2004 from them for $165... I thought that was okay, and he has been a great dog!

Seems a little unreasonable, especially at $600...
Smoke Pursuit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2011, 07:41 PM   #4
StrokedXT
Banned

1 of my dogs and 3 of my wifes cats are from the RSPCA, wasn't aware of the different fees for different dogs. I like the fact they are a bit selective Like you mentioned it gives the animals the the best chance.

My lab I adopted was two and had been returned 3 times and was a lost cause, he is still a nutbag but is a great dog.

Whatever you do though avoid pet shops, go the shelters etc or reputable breeders.

What kind of dog are you after?
StrokedXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2011, 07:44 PM   #5
Spudz27
Call me Spud

Not sure about prices, but I think you will find the rule with the older dog is jealousy based. If the puppy grows up with your son it will be used to his behaviour, sharing attention etc. The older dog may have been tormented by kids, it may have been centre of attention etc. My mums 13yr old pure border collie nipped our daughter once when she was little, she never did that, but she grew up with us and was like the child of the family, then suddenly when little kids are over she is put outside, ignored etc. My daughter loved mums dog but one day she just nipped her for no reason. As a result 3yrs on and now 5 my daughter is afraid of most animals. Before the incident she was not.
Spudz27 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2011, 07:45 PM   #6
Zero_PSI
Banned

If youve got kids a labradoodle is a good choice. My mum has one and it is the most good natured dog ive come across
Zero_PSI is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2011, 07:45 PM   #7
95frd

hi mate .
have you thought about these guys ..best freinds ..there great people .
http://www.bestfriendsrescue.com/dogs.html
95frd is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2011, 07:47 PM   #8
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Does seem odd,we have a cat from the SPCA shelter here and hes worked out fine,at a loss to explain the high costs but much respect to you for going there,wonderful thing to give an unwanted animal a home,on ya and i hope your able to go back and find one that suits.
Old 11-07-2011, 07:57 PM   #9
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

We picked up our Corgi X Australian Terrier - Basil for $360 from the RSPCA, immunized, wormed, desexed, microchipped the lot.... Then come tax time I was able to claim nearly all of it back as a tax deduction under donations
He's a fantastic dog

Russ
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2011, 07:59 PM   #10
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

have you tried www.petrescue.com.au ?

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2011, 08:14 PM   #11
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

That looks exactly like a more furrier version of one of my previous cats Same pattern/colour.
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2011, 08:18 PM   #12
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

On occasion (and as unfortunate as it is) some animals going into the pound require a little more 'TLC' and vet attention than other animals. Prices are generally indicative of the costs to desex, worm, vaccinate, general check ups and any special 'needs' that the animal may have...Desexing costs will vary from dog to dog dependent on size (larger animals require more anaesthetic, etc.).

Best Friends is highly recommended, there's also AWDRI (Australian Working Dog Rescue) and Staffy Rescue (they're Sydney based and don't just have staffies)...there's plenty of pets out there that need help, and many owners who just don't have the time, and don't particularly care...It makes me bloody cry! :(

Continually having a battle of wits with unarmed opponents.

Sez

Photo's by Sez
SEZ213 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2011, 08:29 PM   #13
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sezzy
there's plenty of pets out there that need help, and many owners who just don't have the time, and don't particularly care...It makes me bloody cry! :(
I know quite a few people like this and it really annoys me to see it happening to the animals, as far as I'm concerned if you can't give them the love and attention they deserve then leave them for someone that will
Old 11-07-2011, 08:33 PM   #14
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo

That looks exactly like a more furrier version of one of my previous cats Same pattern/colour.
SPCA refugee mate,fitted right in and loves hanging out with our Collie
Old 11-07-2011, 08:38 PM   #15
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Always puts a good amount of thought into his posts and voices his ideas and opinions in a well thought out and constructive manner. I have certainly seen many threads where his input has been constructive to the topic and overall the forum has benfited f 

Yep, and sadly Staffy's are the biggest throw away at the moment, closely followed by border collies...

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Old 11-07-2011, 08:58 PM   #16
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Yep, and sadly Staffy's are the biggest throw away at the moment, closely followed by border collies...
Bloody sad.Border Collies are taken on by so many people thinking there a good bet re there nature reality is they need pretty much full time to be doing something,this ones my 3rd as as we are getting on a bit i almost didnt,still a bit of life in the old dog yet (me ) so thought one more,if there not busy they simply start destroying things.
Old 11-07-2011, 08:58 PM   #17
BA Baracus
xls

Cheers for replies and links, will have a sit down with the missus and look through the sites properly.

We're just after a medium sort of sized dog, doesn't need to be any kind of pedigree and don't want to breed it or anything. We've got a not huge but pretty decent sized yard to run around and really big undercover entertainment area all 6 foot fenced so be pretty good for medium sized dog. Don't really want a toy dog or anything too small, my mum has Tibetan spaniels and I love them but want something more robust, kinda cattle dog or staffy sized dog of some kind. We've got a burmese cat but she's lived with dogs before and should be fine. She's an indoors cat anyway and we have house split up with child gates so she'd have heaps of her own space where the dog couldn't go.

We considered that one batch of puppies might come in to them in worse shape then another when we discussed it after going and maybe that's where some cost difference is but it still doesn't sit right for me with these particular dogs they had. I might be overlooking something but it's nearly twice the price for same age/size puppies.
BA Baracus is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2011, 09:00 PM   #18
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

I grew up with German Shepherds, my parents used to breed them for the Police and the Air force.
I have had a three dogs myself while growing up, the first was "Pip" a bitsa who always waited for me at the gate when coming home from school, and always flattened me when he saw me coming home, he died when i was 14, at the time it killed me, i had him for 9 years...

The second was a little Jack Russell who one day followed me home. I was 18 at the time and saw this ragged little bundle at the side of the pavement looking a little lost and forlorn, he was obviously feeling a little sorry for himself so i bent down and gave him a scratch behind the ear, he then followed me home for the next 13 years, i named him "Tramp"...

The next was Kaiser, a full blood (papers) long haired shepherd, his real name was "Iccara Indian Moon" who grew up to be a giant of a dog who let my four nephews pull him to pieces, although "Tramp" who was a tenth of his size still ruled the roost....

I lost Tramp in 92 and Kaiser in 98, since then i have been unable to have a mate due to my working away for half a year at a time, but i do sponsor 12 dogs of various breeds whom i love dearly (all through the RSPCA)....

If people where one tenth of dogs in showing love, compassion and devotion, i would probably have as much time for people than i currently do.....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2011, 09:01 PM   #19
98TLS
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA Baracus
Cheers for replies and links, will have a sit down with the missus and look through the sites properly.

We're just after a medium sort of sized dog, doesn't need to be any kind of pedigree and don't want to breed it or anything. We've got a not huge but pretty decent sized yard to run around and really big undercover entertainment area all 6 foot fenced so be pretty good for medium sized dog. Don't really want a toy dog or anything too small, my mum has Tibetan spaniels and I love them but want something more robust, kinda cattle dog or staffy sized dog of some kind. We've got a burmese cat but she's lived with dogs before and should be fine. She's an indoors cat anyway and we have house split up with child gates so she'd have heaps of her own space where the dog couldn't go.

We considered that one batch of puppies might come in to them in worse shape then another when we discussed it after going and maybe that's where some cost difference is but it still doesn't sit right for me with these particular dogs they had. I might be overlooking something but it's nearly twice the price for same age/size puppies.
Good luck mate and be sure and post up pics if and when you have a new edition to the family.
Old 11-07-2011, 09:03 PM   #20
FPV8U
BOSS 5.4L Enthusiast

Did they give a justified reason for the Shepherd X being $600?

Not right to exploit a dogs bloodline only to put it's life at risk should nobody be willing to spend the money.

And if we are voting +1 for the Shepherd X, Shepherds are the best dogs, but we all say XYZ dog is the best when we own one

Last edited by FPV8U; 11-07-2011 at 09:29 PM.
FPV8U is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2011, 09:13 PM   #21
SEZ213
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BA Baracus

I can highly recommend staffy's. If you have enough room for them, and are prepared for the hard work that is owning a dog that 'demands' attention, and will take it from you at every opportunity (they will give lots of love though)...but they don't like to be on their own, and can get into destructive behaviours if they feel 'left out and alone'...mine ate a door while I was at work one day...suffice to say he's now never alone...

Sez

Photo's by Sez
Old 11-07-2011, 09:23 PM   #22
roberts
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

wow, I haven't been to the rspca for many years, but these fees seem like they are exploiting these dogs, I thought i was a not for profit organisation. This saddens me, that a family might not save a puppy because they don't have $600.
+1 for the staffy, Iv had mine for 4 years and when he was a puppy he, chewed, ran away, wouldnt come back if I let him of the lead. But i kept at him now perfect dog, very smart, knows 100s of different commands. They are a personal dog though, so its either yours or your wife they want respect 2 people the same.
roberts is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2011, 09:38 PM   #23
svo supporter
Fixing Ford's **** ups

Quote:
I can highly recommend staffy's. If you have enough room for them, and are prepared for the hard work that is owning a dog that 'demands' attention, and will take it from you at every opportunity (they will give lots of love though)...but they don't like to be on their own, and can get into destructive behaviours if they feel 'left out and alone'...mine ate a door while I was at work one day...suffice to say he's now never alone...

I agree staffy's are loving dogs, but they don't all destroy things when left alone.

I've had my staffy for 12 years now and the only destructive patch he had was when he was a puppy.

He has spent time alone in those 12 years of ownership. Furstly for the first 2 years of his life, then he got a playmate (Female staffy). She had to be put down (due to cancer) after 7 years, then he was alone for another 1. During those alone patches, everything stayed in tact.

His current playmates are chowawas (spelling I know)X maltese.

Unfortunately, I don't know how much longer my staffy will be round. He has cancer and is going blind and deaf. But you couldn't ask for a better companion. Ultra loyal, ultra protective and loves kids to bits.

Please read the manual carefully, as the these manufacturers spent millions of dollars making sure it is perfect.....Now why are there so many problems with my car, when I follow the instructions to the letter?....Answer, majority rules round here

Lock me up and throw away the key because I'm a hoon....I got caught doing 59 in a 60 zone
svo supporter is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2011, 09:41 PM   #24
SM1DY
LIKE A BOSS 351

Got this mutt from the Animal Welfare League at Coombabah, at 11months old with the registration and the rest that that they do there he ended up almost cracking the $600 mark. I think if it wasn't that he was starting to get older than the other dogs there it could have cost a few bob more, but in all honesty you find one that you reckon will be a good fit and the money all goes to a good shelter so you aren't left with that feeling of buyers remorse......until he chews up your favourite hat and Breaking Bad season 3 dvd's.

SM1DY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2011, 09:58 PM   #25
mad-xa

try best friends animal rescue in brissy easy to go to web site www.best friends rescue.com have some cute pets........
mad-xa is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 11-07-2011, 10:13 PM   #26
DJR-351
I am Groot
Donating Member3

I am in no way affiliated with the RSPCA other than i sponsor 12 dogs through them in the hope of giving them a better life....

All the dogs i sponsor where abandoned to the RSPCA when the novelty wore off for the original owners, most of them where pups when originally bought but due to the misfortune of genetics grew bigger so they where cast aside....

If the RSPCA are charging what you may think is too much, give a thought to the fact that the abandonment of pets has increased by about 30% in the last 2 years, someone has to pay for these poor animals to eat, the bigger the animal the bigger the food bill. I had a Jack Russel and a Long Haired Shepherd at the same time, one ate like a budgie the other like a horse, you work it out....

By the way, the RSPCA is the only charity in my will, and that part is for the 20 acres of virgin land i own SW of Toowoomba....

Give to these people, most are volunteers, these are the only ones helping these poor animals....

"Those were the days when the cars were cars, they weren't built out of an Ikea pack like they are now and clothed in plastic; they were real cars." John Bowe
DJR-351 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2011, 12:52 AM   #27
LOW_NL
boo

i remember when i was a kid going to the rspca and getting my grandmother a poodle that was 5yrs old, we then went back and got a 5yr old staffy for our family, unfortunately jimmy ( staffy ) had to be put down about 6 yrs later as he had cancer.
anyway when i was a apprentice i had my own house and a big yard so i went down to the rspca to look for a new friend, there was a beautiful 5yr old staffy that looked at me with the saddest eyes and you could tell he had a hard life, he didn't have a price on him so i asked about him after spending some time with him, well they wanted $500 odd dollars for him.

BUT due to being a apprentice and only earning $268 a week i just couldn't afford him, i did have a hard time leaving him there wondering what would happen to him but as i said i just couldn't afford it.

it's a shame as i would still have him and loved him today, but i searched the classifieds and found a beautiful female staffy that was a give away and i still have her now 4yrs later.

i personally when looking for a dog prefer to get 1 that needs a home and is a few years old as they have less chance of finding a new home compared to puppys.

to the op good luck with your search and check your local gumtree and other classifieds for a dog that needs a home.
LOW_NL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2011, 08:27 AM   #28
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

A few things to remember when getting a pet is to make sure that he / she is exactly what you're after, no point taking them home and then returning them a week later. Make sure you can provide everything that he / she will need to be happy. It's a bit like buying a used car do your homework first, find out what faults they may have, what things you could expect to experience with them these can include.. are they good with kids ? .. do they have physical problems associated with the breed (this is very important because Vet bills are expensive if problems arise) what are their requirements as far as feeding, grooming .. do they need lots of exercise ?.. would they be happy with a small yard or do they need an acre or so ? .. sorry for the rant, I just don't like to see animals suffer, dare I say it's one of my pet hates Equally as important is that all pets need plenty of love and attention especially if they have already been abandoned, which of course most found at animal shelters have :( Please treat them well
Old 12-07-2011, 11:26 AM   #29
StrokedXT
Banned

Avoid gumtree it's a dumping ground for puppy farmers
StrokedXT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-07-2011, 01:29 PM   #30
rochila

We had the same problem with the RSPCA.

Ended up going to Monika's Doggie Rescue.
She rescues dogs from pounds and takes them back to her property. She has about 100 dogs at any time. You can look at profiles on the website for each dog. We ended up adoping two. They are both beautiful. I think it's about $250 for males and $350 for females on account of the desexing costs being higher. It's a wonderful setup. Tonnes of volunteers help out and they are strict about who they let adopt the dogs that they have.

You fill out a sheet about your lifestyle and they make suggestions on dogs based on personality matches. (eg a dog that is really energetic is no good for a 80 year old lady). You can take them for walks and see how they react to you, and how you bond.

She tends to have more smaller dogs than bigger ones.
If you are in Sydney I can't recommend the place enough!
www.doggierescue.com.au
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post