Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 15-01-2021, 06:25 PM   #9091
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
WHO team probing origin of virus arrives in China

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-55657781

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/f...15-p56uh6.html

Wonder if they'll still find "bats" at the "seafood" market. Or is there much more to it than that?
They will find what the CCP tell them to find
Old 15-01-2021, 08:24 PM   #9092
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
WHO team probing origin of virus arrives in China

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-asia-china-55657781

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/f...15-p56uh6.html

Wonder if they'll still find "bats" at the "seafood" market. Or is there much more to it than that?
Is the WHO expecting any chinese citizens to say a single word? I’m pretty sure they would rather avoid the CCP firing squad for talking out of turn.
This user likes this post:
Old 15-01-2021, 08:52 PM   #9093
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Strange that there has been very little sympathy afforded to Australians wanting to come home to their own country, yet so many tears for people that knowingly went into or near a red zone during a pandemic.

If you haven't done so lately, take a stroll through Melb CBD one evening. It is starting to come alive again. Lots of people about and you can once again hear the music across the yarra. Myer Music Bowl tonight had some sort of event on which was sold out. 50% of private sector workers can return to office next week, 25% for public. Some level of certainty is returning, we are on our way to recovery, last thing we need is 5 - 10 new cases a day, especially of this "UK" strain, to dent confidence.

I spare my tears for Victorians who have been cut off from WA and for CBD retailers who have endured so much suffering, and had to wear the delay in workers returning to the office, all because of this NSW outbreak, which could have been killed off IF they had taken strong measures for a few weeks. Instead its going to drag on and on and on, they are talking 4 more weeks to "mop up".

I want to see NSW succeed. AFL season is not far off and it would be good to have 50-60,000 at the G again.
Well this is a new one. NSW is responsible for restrictions that the VIC gov have imposed on their citizens?

I think we should get people home wherever they are. The states are responsible for whatever happens within their borders. If VIC or WA or QLD etc want to lock it up then great, but those Premiers are responsible for whatever effects it has on their communities.
Old 15-01-2021, 09:44 PM   #9094
Mr_G6ET
Ford G6ET FG MkII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Is the WHO expecting any chinese citizens to say a single word? I’m pretty sure they would rather avoid the CCP firing squad for talking out of turn.
Shoot me now. I think you are all thinking WHO is CPP only, have some faith
Old 15-01-2021, 09:48 PM   #9095
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

WHO let in a year later after so they will only find what they want the WHO to find. What a ****en joke
2 users like this post:
Old 16-01-2021, 10:35 AM   #9096
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_G6ET View Post
Shoot me now. I think you are all thinking WHO is CPP only, have some faith
Do you seriously think the ccp will let them find anything that might embarrass them?

Just look how badly they cracked the ****s, when scotty from marketing suggested they should investigate the origins of covid.
4 users like this post:
Old 16-01-2021, 11:06 AM   #9097
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

The success of the WHO investigation will largely depend on what the agenda is. If they are there to find faults in the initial response then they probably aren't going to get too far. If they are there to genuinely find the source of the outbreak, then I don't see why the chinese government wouldn't co-operate. No good being an authoritarian regime if you have no one to authoritate over in the future.

I wonder how many people knew the US CDC had stations in China helping to monitor for outbreaks after SARS, but it was dismantled by the Trump administration before the pandemic.

We have one of our own in the field team. They did an interview with him a while ago on ABC, and he seemed very confident they will get some answers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY
Well this is a new one. NSW is responsible for restrictions that the VIC gov have imposed on their citizens?
Not what I said. We are however one country sharing a common land. The actions of a state has an impact on the rest of the country.

Brisbane will go from red to orange at 6pm tonight.
Old 16-01-2021, 11:06 AM   #9098
Mr_G6ET
Ford G6ET FG MkII

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bossxr8 View Post
Do you seriously think the ccp will let them find anything that might embarrass them?

Just look how badly they cracked the ****s, when scotty from marketing suggested they should investigate the origins of covid.
Fully agree, there is probably a skyscraper building on the wet market site and the lab probably gets dismantled and erected somewhere different each day

or how credible it the military games bought it in ?
https://prospect.org/coronavirus/did...read-covid-19/

Last edited by Mr_G6ET; 16-01-2021 at 11:13 AM.
2 users like this post:
Old 16-01-2021, 01:00 PM   #9099
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT January 15th, 2021.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

7 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.171%. Queensland / WA recorded 3 each while NSW / Vic recorded 2 cases each and SA recorded 1.

18 new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.113% and active cases 62.

The UK had 55,761 cases yesterday and 1,280 deaths.

Just under 244.5k new cases in the USA yesterday and 4,129 deaths sees CMR rise to 1.669% and active cases at 39.2% with the raw numbers rising and now over 9.3M. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Global deaths pass 2M, the last 50k in 3 days;
The USA passes 24M cases and 400k deaths;
Europe passes 27M cases;

Cuba (550) on 13/1;
Nigeria (1,867) - 12% above the previous high;
UAE (3,407) - the 4th consecutive day;
Tunisia (4,170) - 15% above the previous high;
Lebanon (6,154) - 13% above the previous high;
Mexico (16,468);
Colombia (21,078) - 16% above the previous high; and
Spain (40,197)

... recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Last edited by russellw; 16-01-2021 at 01:20 PM.
2 users like this post:
Old 16-01-2021, 01:10 PM   #9100
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
The success of the WHO investigation will largely depend on what the agenda is. If they are there to find faults in the initial response then they probably aren't going to get too far. If they are there to genuinely find the source of the outbreak, then I don't see why the chinese government wouldn't co-operate. No good being an authoritarian regime if you have no one to authoritate over in the future.

I wonder how many people knew the US CDC had stations in China helping to monitor for outbreaks after SARS, but it was dismantled by the Trump administration before the pandemic.

We have one of our own in the field team. They did an interview with him a while ago on ABC, and he seemed very confident they will get some answers.

Not what I said. We are however one country sharing a common land. The actions of a state has an impact on the rest of the country.

Brisbane will go from red to orange at 6pm tonight.
Serious?

The ccp have already denied it started in china, and blamed everyone else. All they have done from the start is cover it up. Would they change now? Hell no.

Everything is being done to save face. No one dare question the almighty ccp.
Old 16-01-2021, 01:24 PM   #9101
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

*CONSPIRACY THEORY: China has always said that the virus didn't come from / begin in China. There's been stories that the US had a hand in developing the virus SARS-CoV-2. Trump and China were going at each other for a while before the pandemic began. Trump, being the psycho that he is, with his hate for Xi Jingpin and all things China, secretly ordered a bioweapon be released in Wuhan, the SARS-CoV-2 virus. 😲

Quote:
So Trump dismantled and withdraws US CDC officials from the Wuhan Institute Of Virology just before the SARS-CoV-2 outbreak began.
Hmmm... why'd he do that? 🤨

*As wild and 'batty' as that is (and it is), how much of it could be true? None of it? Some of it? All of it? 🤷

Interesting to note that the W.H.O. will not investigate the Wuhan Institute Of Virology as a possible source of the virus??
Old 16-01-2021, 02:24 PM   #9102
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

This was the chap. He still seems optimistic in finding some answers...

'At the coalface': what the Australian expert in WHO's Covid mission in China hopes to find

https://www.theguardian.com/australi...-hopes-to-find

Quote:
So Trump dismantled and withdraws US CDC officials from the Wuhan Institute Of Virology just before the SARS-CoV-2 outbreak began.
Hmmm... why'd he do that? 🤨
I don't know if there were US CDC officials working in WIV directly. The US CDC was working with China CDC to help monitor for outbreaks after SARS. There were stations scattered across the country. Unfortunately I can't see this being re-established anytime soon given whats happened.

Probably no conspiracy. He was dismantling a lot of things during his tenure. Maybe saw it as a cost with no benefit to America first.
Old 16-01-2021, 04:45 PM   #9103
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

Quote:
I don't know if there were US CDC officials working in WIV directly.
See below.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN21910S

Quote:
Probably no conspiracy.
See below.

https://thediplomat.com/2020/05/why-...ial-wuhan-lab/
Old 16-01-2021, 04:56 PM   #9104
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I hadn't read those

They should have at least had a look at the WIV to rule out any possibility of the "lab made" theory. A facility built with the help of the French, research funded by the US, bat woman trained at the CSIRO.
Old 16-01-2021, 09:09 PM   #9105
Mr_G6ET
Ford G6ET FG MkII

I wont miss this covid ignorant ****https://www.news.com.au/world/north-...8bd61eaacb4e73
I look forward to forgetting this *******
Old 16-01-2021, 09:09 PM   #9106
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
U.S. Steps Up Claims Covid-19 May Have Escaped From Chinese Lab
Bill Faries

(Bloomberg) -- The State Department on Friday said it had new information suggesting the Covid-19 pandemic could have emerged from a Chinese laboratory and not through contact with infected animals, the latest salvo in the Trump administration’s efforts to pressure Beijing over the virus’s origins.

Specifically, the U.S. said it had obtained new evidence that researchers at the Wuhan Institute of Virology became sick in the fall of 2019, before the first identified case of the outbreak in the surrounding city, with symptoms it said were consistent with either Covid-19 or common seasonal illnesses.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/u-...?ocid=msedgntp

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
Old 17-01-2021, 12:25 PM   #9107
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT January 16th, 2021.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

24 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.168%. NSW recorded 12, Vic recorded 3 cases WA & SA recorded 2 each and Queensland recorded 1.

No new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.113% and active cases 62.

The UK had 43,152 cases yesterday and 1,295 deaths.

Just under 251k new cases in the USA yesterday and 3,830 deaths sees CMR fall to 1.667%. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:

Zambia (1,796);
Dominican Republic (2,370);
Bolivia (2,573) - 13.7% above the previous high;
UAE (3,432) - the 5th consecutive day;
Malaysia (4,029) - 21% above the previous high;
Lebanon (6,154) - 13% above the previous high;
Portugal (10,947);
Indonesia (14,224) - 23% above the previous high; and
Mexico (21,366) - 29.7% above the high yesterday;

... recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Observatio Facta Rotae

3 users like this post:
Old 17-01-2021, 11:09 PM   #9108
ute83
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

https://www.9news.com.au/national/pf...3-866402106c08
Old 18-01-2021, 08:18 AM   #9109
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

How about that tennis tournament, eh?
  • What did the organisers think would happen?
  • How can inflexible rules be properly explained to kidults?
  • In what way will this be a fair and representative contest, with such potential imbalance of match-readiness?

I fully expect a bending of the official rules, it’s the golden double standard.
Old 18-01-2021, 08:26 AM   #9110
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
How about that tennis tournament, eh?
  • What did the organisers think would happen?
  • How can inflexible rules be properly explained to kidults?
  • In what way will this be a fair and representative contest, with such potential imbalance of match-readiness?

I fully expect a bending of the official rules, it’s the golden double standard.
There should definitely be a Wi Tennis provided to each room.

But seriously, how can this be such a surprise to the players? - was the "if/when someone one your flight tests positive - you will be required to go into full quarantine" exception in bold type at the front of the rules of entering the country, or were they implied or left out, or in fine print in appendix 23? If it was clearly visible, I am sure that the organisers would have pointed this out as a defence by now. I smell another bureaucratic bungle.

Old 18-01-2021, 08:44 AM   #9111
Polyal
Virtuous Bogan (TM)
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post
There should definitely be a Wi Tennis provided to each room.

But seriously, how can this be such a surprise to the players? - was the "if/when someone one your flight tests positive - you will be required to go into full quarantine" exception in bold type at the front of the rules of entering the country, or were they implied or left out, or in fine print in appendix 23? If it was clearly visible, I am sure that the organisers would have pointed this out as a defence by now. I smell another bureaucratic bungle.
This will be an interesting national test, not just a Victorian one.

Huge management failure on the part of the players to not understand the T&C's, as long as they were communicated clearly.
  • 1973 ZF Ford Fairlane
2 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2021, 08:46 AM   #9112
marty351
Shenanigans..............

100k guaranteed appearance $
2 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2021, 11:37 AM   #9113
roKWiz
Cabover nut

The Christmas Island/Australian open gauranteed 40 days of tennis fun.

Old 18-01-2021, 01:14 PM   #9114
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Well this is the covid normal that everyone has been screaming for. By the time the Aus Open starts, everyone will have done 14 days isolation, so I don't see what all the fuss is about.

It appears all the controls are working as intended at this point in time. They caught the infected people even though they tested negative before the flight. No special treatment given, all in hard quarantine.

It'll be interesting to see what they do with crowds. 12 days of zero community transmission in Vic. IMO the biggest risk will be people coming from orange zones and not following isolation and testing rules. Or people coming over and lying about not having been in red zones.

On a positive note, its good to see Greg Hunt backing the Vic premier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
This will be an interesting national test, not just a Victorian one.

Huge management failure on the part of the players to not understand the T&C's, as long as they were communicated clearly.
One of the NZ players said they were all given a virtual briefing beforehand which explained exactly what would happen in this scenario......except, not all the players dialled in
4 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2021, 01:24 PM   #9115
Mr_G6ET
Ford G6ET FG MkII

Quote:
I don't see what all the fuss is about.

..... not all the players dialled in
send the whingers back where they came from. Who the **** do they think they are
7 users like this post:
Old 18-01-2021, 01:30 PM   #9116
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT January 17th, 2021.

19 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.166%. NSW recorded 9, Vic recorded 7, Queensland 2 and WA recorded 1 case.

10 new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.110% and active cases 82.

The UK had 35,898 cases yesterday and 671 deaths.

Just over 204k new cases in the USA yesterday and 1,804 deaths sees CMR rise to 1.668%. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points: (weekend reporting)
Global cases pass 95M, the last 1M in 3 days;
Asia passes 22M cases;

Only:

UAE (3,543) - the 6th consecutive day;

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 18-01-2021, 04:04 PM   #9117
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:

One of the NZ players said they were all given a virtual briefing beforehand which explained exactly what would happen in this scenario......except, not all the players dialled in
So are you saying the sum total of info provided was they had to dial in to one zoom call? They probably ran it during the night in the US and Europe but good time for Aus and NZ!!!

If that is all the organisers of the tournament did while moving hundreds of the highest paid athletes across the globe, I will be surprised yet again by organisational ineptitude. Like no document sent out? Pretty sure we would have seen it by now if it existed.

Old 18-01-2021, 04:50 PM   #9118
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post
So are you saying the sum total of info provided was they had to dial in to one zoom call? They probably ran it during the night in the US and Europe but good time for Aus and NZ!!!

If that is all the organisers of the tournament did while moving hundreds of the highest paid athletes across the globe, I will be surprised yet again by organisational ineptitude. Like no document sent out? Pretty sure we would have seen it by now if it existed.
I was just referencing what I heard one of the tennis players said.

https://wwos.nine.com.au/tennis/aust...4-29298e50943e

With a $4m prize money at stake, I'd dial in at 3am if I had to. But yes, Tennis Australia should probably have made them sign something.
Old 18-01-2021, 05:05 PM   #9119
Romulus
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Never pay on the spot fines. Always elect to go to Court. Here's why.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...17-p56uoo.html
Old 18-01-2021, 05:24 PM   #9120
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romulus View Post
Never pay on the spot fines. Always elect to go to Court. Here's why.

https://www.theage.com.au/national/v...17-p56uoo.html
Don't get too excited yet A legal department issuing a poorly worded memo.....who would have thought?!

'Poorly worded' internal police document leads to confusion over Victorian COVID fines

https://www.9news.com.au/national/co...f-afb557d2cd70

"It was understood earlier today police were told to drop the majority of unpaid fines Victorians racked up in 2020, but Victoria Police deputy commissioner Rick Nugent said a "poorly worded" internal guidance note gave the impression remaining fines would not be prosecuted - which is not the case.
"Victoria Police have not changed its policy on the issue of fines," he said."
Closed Thread