Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Old 21-11-2020, 09:10 PM   #421
wackyv8
wackyv8

Default Re: I want to quit smoking but i fail everytime

Quote:
Originally Posted by mad2 View Post
it works but can have side affects [depending on the person].
or just keep on fagging away , theres a million excuses but your lungs dont have ears mate.
wackyv8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-11-2020, 09:13 PM   #422
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I’ve seen it not work, that’s not to disqualify the product but to note it doesn’t fit all cases. The most successful permanent quitting method I’ve seen is cold turkey, when the person is mentally ready.
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 21-11-2020, 09:43 PM   #423
Sonny_Jim

I've also seen Champex not work, gave the guy night terrors if I recall. He still smokes now, although not as much.

I smoked for around 20 years, 'quit' about 5 years ago. I say 'quit' as I still vape. I spend ~$60 a month on vaping, I hate to think how much it would cost me if I smoked now. For me it's the lesser of two evils. Yes, there are unknown risks, but compared to the known risks of smoking it was a no-brainer for me. I don't smell, my fingers aren't yellow, I can 'smoke' in company vehicles and I still have the excuse to nip out for a quick puff if I'm waiting for something.

The government are flip-flopping a bit as to whether ban nicotine for use in vapes. They announced a ban starting in January which caused a rush on the online nicotine shops. But considering you can spend $150 on a bottle of nicotine and have it last for nearly a decade (keep it in the freezer), you can stock up once and pretty much forget about it.
Sonny_Jim is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 01-01-2021, 03:06 PM   #424
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Time for the smokers to attempt quitting again.

For me 2020 was the first smoke free year in more than one decade.

My cars

Current ride
2016 FG X XR6 - 6 speed manual

Previous rides
2009 FG XR6 - 6 speed auto
2006 BF MkII XT ESP - 6 speed auto
2003 BA XT V8 - 5 speed manual
1999 AU Forte - 5 speed manual
1997 EL Fairmont - 4 speed auto
1990 EAII Fairmont Ghia - 4 speed auto
Syndrome is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
8 users like this post:
Old 01-01-2021, 04:37 PM   #425
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndrome View Post
Time for the smokers to attempt quitting again.

For me 2020 was the first smoke free year in more than one decade.
Keep going as it will get easier and easier! 26 years for me since giving up the habit and not once do I miss it.
Cheers.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-01-2021, 04:48 PM   #426
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

It gets easier as time goes on, 20 years for me, Doctor told me the next time I end up in intensive care as a smoker I may not leave, gave up on the spot and have not looked back, also have been healthier for it, used the money I would have spent to pay off the mortgage early.
Cant stand the smell of stale smoke in a car now, makes me sick.
prktkljokr is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 02-01-2021, 10:37 AM   #427
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wackyv8 View Post
or just keep on fagging away , theres a million excuses but your lungs dont have ears mate.

missus used the champax & suffered side affects from it, hence why i said it won't be for everyone but she did give up smoking. i gave up cold turkey twenty two odd years ago. best thing i have done for myself.
mad2 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-01-2021, 10:39 AM   #428
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny_Jim View Post
I've also seen Champex not work, gave the guy night terrors if I recall. He still smokes now, although not as much.

I smoked for around 20 years, 'quit' about 5 years ago. I say 'quit' as I still vape. I spend ~$60 a month on vaping, I hate to think how much it would cost me if I smoked now. For me it's the lesser of two evils. Yes, there are unknown risks, but compared to the known risks of smoking it was a no-brainer for me. I don't smell, my fingers aren't yellow, I can 'smoke' in company vehicles and I still have the excuse to nip out for a quick puff if I'm waiting for something.

The government are flip-flopping a bit as to whether ban nicotine for use in vapes. They announced a ban starting in January which caused a rush on the online nicotine shops. But considering you can spend $150 on a bottle of nicotine and have it last for nearly a decade (keep it in the freezer), you can stock up once and pretty much forget about it.

missus had that same/similar problem. vaping IS still putting shiiit into ya lungs tho.
Old 02-01-2021, 01:18 PM   #429
prktkljokr
praek tih kl jo kr

If you think about it in a dollar format 3 packs a week = $150, 156 packs a year = $7800, so technically you can afford that new Mustang or more important living life experiences instead of standing alone outside having a smoke.
prktkljokr is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 06-01-2021, 07:14 PM   #430
mondeomatureguy

Hi guys,
I never started smoking because i was sick as a kid but my father was a heavy smoker.
He died of Emphysema in 2004 .

I once worked with a lady who was also a big smoker and at the time she was also trying to save for a new car.
We at work told her to stop smoking and the money she was saving put into the bank and she got that new car in no time.

She later told me "food tastes better since she stopped smoking, she's not out of breath when she walks up steps.
mondeomatureguy is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 03-04-2021, 12:40 PM   #431
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Yesterday was 20 months since my last cigarette. Probably saved $10K,

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides
Old 04-04-2021, 09:18 PM   #432
MITCHAY
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Good work mate.

I reckon I could save $10k easily giving up the durries. And I wouldn't even call myself a heavy smoker at all, that's just average with all these taxes
MITCHAY is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 07-06-2021, 09:52 AM   #433
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Well good on ya mate, I have tried on and off for 40 yrs, come close but something always set me off again,but that's a very big achievement believe me, it is!

As for Champix, well I took one tablet and my mate reckons I sat in an armchair and got the hatchet from the woodpile, then spent 4 hours that night sharpening it with a file??
I don't remember it, but I woke up in the morning wondering why my bed was full of iron filings!

Never took another one.

Cheers Billy.

Last edited by slowsnake; 07-06-2021 at 09:57 AM. Reason: misspell
slowsnake is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-08-2021, 12:04 AM   #434
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Today is 2 years since my last cigarette

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides
Old 02-08-2021, 08:19 AM   #435
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Today is 2 years since my last cigarette
Congratulations, that's a big deal 2 years, I had my lung removed 4 weeks ago, I'm sitting here rolling a dhurrie?....crazy eh, the power of the mind, can be used for positive or negative, me, well I asked my doctors for a meeting to help me give up before surgery, heard nothing, not a word!

Cheers Mr B
Old 04-08-2021, 09:45 PM   #436
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quit smoking & drinking on april 30th. Both were chronic habits that lasted over 2 decades. Am enjoying the extra money to waste on cars haha
falcon_bandit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
6 users like this post:
Old 05-08-2021, 10:52 AM   #437
Syndrome
Ford screwed the Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowsnake View Post
Congratulations, that's a big deal 2 years, I had my lung removed 4 weeks ago, I'm sitting here rolling a dhurrie?....crazy eh, the power of the mind, can be used for positive or negative, me, well I asked my doctors for a meeting to help me give up before surgery, heard nothing, not a word!

Cheers Mr B
My father telling me he has bladder cancer was the shock I needed to stop. He had smoked for more than half a century.

My cars

Current ride

Previous rides
2 users like this post:
Old 05-08-2021, 11:48 AM   #438
slowsnake
Banned

I wrote a short essay called " Smoking "
It was 15 years ago, if I find it I will type it up here!

I wrote it on another forum when a Non smoker asked what we smokers got from it, actually he said and I quote, " such a filthy habit "

Cheers Puffing Billy
Old 05-08-2021, 01:03 PM   #439
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:

Cheers Mr B
In my opinion you either want to do it it or you don't
I determined I was going to stop smoking and did it! but must admit I had the urge many times to take it back up in the early days but kept on saying to myself I had no need for smoking.
PS: I went cold turkey when I gave it up; no weening off or aids just stopped with no regrets.
Cheers and best of luck to you.
Itsme is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
4 users like this post:
Old 05-08-2021, 03:05 PM   #440
slowsnake
Banned

I said earlier I wrote a short essay on smoking, on another forum the question was asked by a non smoker, what do you get out of smoking? I answered it, was 2013, hope you like it.

SMOKING.

It makes you think you are Ghengis Khan,Mahatma Ghandi and Mother Teresa all at once!
Its a ritual,like the Japanese tea ceremony,you wake in the morning and the first thing you think about is that next nail in your coffin,or two or three,but you fight hard to put it off as long as you can,you tease yourself while you feed the cat and boil the billy for you coffee,then you sit in your favourite chair,shuffle around a bit then you do a checklist run.
Ashtray
Cigarettes or tobacco
Lighter

Then you open the pack,and your heart races,you are anticipating the feeling of rolling the cigarette in you fingers,then you have a quick out breath and place the ciggie to your lips,you are starting to sweat a bit now,getting a bit jittery then you suck on that little baby like your life depended on it,but its not lit yet,you roll it across your lips,sniffling and watching the steam rise from your hot coffee mug,then another sniffle,you fumble for the lighter,you know where it is but you like to fumble to extend the anticipation of that first drag after sleeping for 8 hours,dreaming as usual of the Marlborough Man,on horseback in the wild North American Mountains,his horse snorting and bucking waiting for its rider to get that smoke drawn deep into his lungs,to relax him,the horse knows his rider is anxous,he can feel it!

Now i find my lighter,i play with it,remove the ciggie still unlit from my dry lips,i need a sip of coffee,i need caffeine,now!
I have my sip of coffee,put my ciggie back in my mouth,i light it,the first drawback gives me visions of "Clancy of the Overflow" racing at breakneck speed to head off the wild brumbies before they hit the woods at the bottom of the sheer drop he finds himself in,but the pony he is riding finds its feet and turns the brumbies heads for home.

The smoke has curled its way down my throat now,i can feel it caressing my windpipe,i feel a gag reflex so i give a feigned cough,i dident really mean it,it would be a insult to my cigarette to let it know it had me beat,down for the count on the cold hard floor of the boxing stadium,i can hear the crowd roar now,i feel sated,satisfied that i have gotten that first good morning cigarette where it belongs,its starting to get into my bloodstream now,the nicotine is screaming like a wild animal caught in an ancient leg trap,but i stifle that scream with another feigned cough,I take a double hit now,two quick drawbacks,the smoke knows its own way now,no need to suck it in,it just flows along my esophegus,its an easy run now,its nearly there,it knows how much i appreciate it, it treats my body with respect now,it knows it is doomed,it knows very soon it will be expelled into the atmosphere,it thinks i dont love it anymore,it feels used and it is,i have no respect for it now,it senses my displeasure and seeks to leave immediately,this it does,much to my chagrin,I suck again now,i am smiling,the cigarette knows i have its measure and it relaxes in my fingers,its a spent force,i have squeezed all its goodness out of its little white tube,but i dont care how it feels,i have feeling also,but my desire is satisfied for a little while,i feel like a million bucks,a million bucks! ha ha ha.

Cheers Puffing Billy
Old 07-08-2021, 10:08 AM   #441
slowsnake
Banned

So no comments and no takers eh, and I thought it was good...

Cheers Puffing Billy
Old 07-08-2021, 11:15 AM   #442
mad2
Regular...with metamusal
Donating Member2

Quote:
So no comments and no takers eh, and I thought it was good...

Cheers Puffing Billy

only just read it ................. it's good!
Old 12-08-2021, 11:11 AM   #443
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post
20 bucks a packet...you can pay a small mortgage with that. Or pay a bigger one off 10 years earlier. Food for thought....

Quoting myself from 7 years ago in this very thread....

Newsflash...50 bucks a packet....
who needs to invest in the stockmarket...
just buy containers full of cigarettes....

win,win,win

(It's the red triangle with exclamation mark on the left)
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 01-10-2021, 09:46 AM   #444
GO FURTHER
Donating Member3

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Fitting New Iridium Plugs & the state of the old ones - (Photo Essay) 

Australia's new vaping laws come into effect today

Australia has tightened its vaping laws in a bid to crack down on the illegal use and sale of nicotine vaping products.

From today, it's illegal to buy items such as nicotine e-cigarettes, nicotine pods and liquid nicotine from overseas and locally without a prescription.

Until now, people had been permitted to import up to three months' worth into Australia.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/federal-politics-news-fears-tough-new-vaping-laws-will-drive-people-back-to-smoking
GO FURTHER is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 01-10-2021, 10:20 AM   #445
slowsnake
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by GO FURTHER View Post
Australia's new vaping laws come into effect today

Australia has tightened its vaping laws in a bid to crack down on the illegal use and sale of nicotine vaping products.

From today, it's illegal to buy items such as nicotine e-cigarettes, nicotine pods and liquid nicotine from overseas and locally without a prescription.

Until now, people had been permitted to import up to three months' worth into Australia.

https://www.9news.com.au/national/federal-politics-news-fears-tough-new-vaping-laws-will-drive-people-back-to-smoking
Yes 2 of my neighbours have been vaping for 2 years now, they get it online from New Zealand via Adelaide?
One likes it, the other doesn't, I tried to import 10 disposable nicotine vapes from China, got stopped at border, sent me letter telling me it was illegal to import nicotine!

Cheers Billy

Last edited by slowsnake; 01-10-2021 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Auto spell
2 users like this post:
Old 01-10-2021, 10:23 AM   #446
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

Where does this put us, nationally, with shisha/nargila supplies? Are they also close in the sights of regulators?
Citroënbender is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 01-10-2021, 10:37 AM   #447
slowsnake
Banned

After they took my left lung, 3 months ago now, I was thinking well I cut down from 25 a day to 3 a day, eh stage 1 cancer, no chemo or radiation?

Wrong, found 2 cancers and lymph nodes, one node on sternum has cancer and I went in staged 1a and come out staged 3a, but refused chemo 4 times because I had some chest and nasal infection, am too unhealthy internally now to have chemo, so I refused it, and will let this thing have its head, run its course, I can already feel it inside now, and I accept that, but I refuse to visit oncology in case I make the others on chemo sick, asked Oncologist to see me away from clinic in a separate room, answer NO, too busy, me, well I refuse to sit in a waiting room with folk very sick from chemo, women with no hair!

Oncologist sees nothing wrong with it? I disagree and told him so, its too late for chemo now, I have a phone appointment at 10:30 am today, my answer is still no, my immune system is destroyed already, they want to kill it more with the chemicals, I said no!..leave me alone, let me go my way in my time, told him the chemo will kill me before cancer!...stuff em all.....

Cheers a Billy
Old 02-10-2021, 09:35 AM   #448
nearlythere

I went to the doc, He said you smell...Do you smoke? I said yep. So he says wanna give up? I say yep, He says want some patches to I say yes.
5 weeks ago was my last smoke.
nearlythere is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 02-10-2021, 10:02 AM   #449
slowsnake
Banned

Well done, I told the dude who ripped my lung out that smoking does not cause cancer?......I said cancer causes cancer, he told me my lung would be "charcoal grey?"
It was pink, like a baby's bum, I was a pack a day smoker, but it was full of cancer, smoking does not cause lung cancer, it may exacerbate existing issues, asthma or bronchitis and emphysema, my cancer was from years of metal fab workshops, unventilated, welding fumes and asbestos!

Read my post here 440!
Old 04-12-2021, 08:30 PM   #450
falcon_bandit
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Still been off the smokes since April 30th, dont care about them anymore. What a filthy pointless habit
falcon_bandit is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
5 users like this post: