Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 13-11-2020, 10:34 PM   #7591
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Covid 19 -

Quote:
Originally Posted by russellw View Post
Data valid as at 23:59 GMT November 12th, 2020.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting except for the Victorian 14 day moving averages.

13 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR drops to 3.274% while active cases rise to 1,328. NSW recorded 5, WA & Queensland 3 each and SA recorded 1 case. Victoria reported no new cases for the last 24 hours for the 13th consecutive day.

3 new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.256% and active cases rise to 53.

The UK had a new record 34,270 cases yesterday. We know they are now not counting their mortalities by the WHO guidelines so we are going to ignore the CMR but even using their method they recorded 563 deaths.

Just over 144k new cases (a new record) in the USA yesterday and 1,479 deaths sees CMR drop to 2.310% and active cases rise to 35.6% with the raw numbers rising and now over 3.8M. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Global cases pass 53M with the last 1M taking 1 day;
Global cases set a new daily high of 632,966, ~10k above the previous;
Europe passes 13M cases;
North America sets a new daily high of 157,900 (11/11);
The USA completes 163M, India 121M, Russia 66M, Italy 18M and Denmark 6M tests.

Latvia (533);
Norway (717);
Algeria (851) - the previous high on July 24th;
Belarus (1,098);
Moldova (1,331);
Croatia (3,082);
Georgia (3,120);
Greece (3,316) -
14% above the previous high;
Canada (5,516) - 19% above the previous high;
Morocco (6,195);
Austria (9,262) - 12% above the previous high;
Ukraine (11,057);
Germany (23,462);
United Kingdom (34,270) - 27% above the previous high;
the USA (144,289) on 11/11;

... all
recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive days.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Burnout View Post
Hang on a minute; Biden said today that there were two hundred and twenty million thousand cases in the US of A...
was he quoting cases in the USofA all up when russellw is quoting todays cases ??

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
Old 13-11-2020, 11:05 PM   #7592
George V
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Mmmmm,

We wonder why USA politics, views on COVID etc are so polarised and has many versions of truth & realities.

If last few pages are anything to go by, we are not too far from it either, it is only a mater of time.

Issue with Vic hotel quarantine in my opinion is – the whole thing got organized too quickly with too many out of their depth. Something got organized within a day or two, which was not perfect but was a starting point. It was not followed up and not made better at least during the following weeks even when they knew it was going pear shaped.

National cabinet decides that all arrivals will be quarantined on Friday 27 March at 12 noon and after two hrs, PM make the announcement to the effect that all oversees arrivals from next day noon will be in hotel quarantine.

Some idiots took it as a challenge and cobbled something together within a day to get to work. I am sure that they learnt their lesson. Next time, they will switch off your mobiles and go for a pub lunch. They should not have made those decisions outside their existing protocols to address perceived emergency and create something even worse. It is easy to make demands when you do not have any skin in the game.

When Deputy PM asked states to increase their quarantine places by 50 % in mid-September, by that time, states have got a lot wiser and response was somewhere between – “we are at capacity / full” to do your own thing at Christmas Island or use defence facilities”..

Long rant off.

Regards,
George V
3 users like this post:
Old 14-11-2020, 07:10 AM   #7593
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweeked View Post
Yeah I do because you are so wrong. If you were right, our legal counsel wouldn't be spending half his time ensuring our processes are correct. We wouldn't be instructed by workcover that we have a responsibility to personally inspect our clients facilities and do risk assessments.

I don't know where you think it says it has to be their own premises, it says "A workplace". Not theirs....A ..... Chain of Responsibility.........your idea of only being responsible for your own workplace - that finished in the 90's

They contracted work out to be performed, at that point, it was legally their workplace, they had a duty of care to ensure that it was contracted out safely, and with oversight, especially due to the high risk that was so evident.

You can carry on all you want, you are wrong.

(Apart from the fact we know that these laws will not apply in a government situation, If it was private enterprise, it would absolutely on, and rightly so.)
goodness me, that is for YOUR workers, these weren't Andrews workers who died, really???? try to keep up
Old 14-11-2020, 12:31 PM   #7594
tweeked
N/A all the way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
goodness me, that is for YOUR workers, these weren't Andrews workers who died, really???? try to keep up
My last one on this, as I realise you would see this very differently if it was a "Scomo and Co" initiative. Again, quoted from Worksafe Vic

"the duty of a person not to recklessly engage in conduct that may place another person at a workplace in danger of serious injury."

You don't have to work there. It doesn't have to be your worker. It is just "another person". It can be passengers on a crashed bus. It can be a contractor. It can be any other person affected by the workplace. A workplace can be a vehicle - recent proof - The tragic death of 4 police officers in Melbourne, the Manager of the Transport Company was charged with industrial manslaughter. Did his workers die? Were they at his workplace?

Another real life example involving contracting out (prior to IM laws, but the same OHS precedents apply.)

A job was contracted out to a person at a major retailer. When he went there he was pulling lengths out of a raised platform. Someone had from the retailer had previously removed the safety rail to make it easier to pull the lengths out (drop was about 1 meter). Contractor steps back and falls, breaking an ankle. The company contracting the worker to work somewhere else was found guilty of failure to provide a safe workplace, even though it was not their premises. $10,000 and recorded against the Director of that business. (the retailer received the same fine)

Anyway - on with Covid. I have a feeling you may be a Monty Python fan and just want another $5

Old 14-11-2020, 12:43 PM   #7595
Yellow_Festiva
Where to next??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor 57 View Post
they knew, the hotels should have called it out - there should have been far better oversight from who-ever made the cal to use security guards. Don't forget NSW & QLD also used security guards
The whole hoo haa about using security guards is a joke.

As if they were not qualified or not able to do the job?

What did they need to do exactly - keep people in their rooms, stop people going in and out.

Essentially they just needed bodies with eyes on site that could keep awake while bored out of their brains doing essentially nothing.

The media made a big deal about one person being hired over Twitter or via text message? Ohhh diddums - fancy using Social Media to find work??

Perhaps they should have used police officers in the hotels and put security guards at the borders and on the beat?

I've been around the world a couple of times or maybe more.......
This user likes this post:
Old 14-11-2020, 12:57 PM   #7596
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 23:59 GMT November 13th, 2020.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

3 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR drops to 3.272% while active cases drop to 1,327. NSW & Queensland recorded 1 case each and the NT recorded 5 cases. Victoria reported no new cases for the last 24 hours for the 13th consecutive day.

4 new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.253% and active cases remain at 53.

The UK had a much lower 26,501 cases yesterday. We know they are now not counting their mortalities by the WHO guidelines so we are going to ignore the CMR but even using their method they recorded 376 deaths.

Just over 170k new cases (a new record) in the USA yesterday and 1,182 deaths sees CMR drop to 2.285% and active cases rise to 35.9% with the raw numbers rising and now over 3.9M. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Global deaths pass 1.3M with the last 50k taking only 5 days;
Global cases set a new daily high of 645,646;
The USA passes 11M cases;
North America passes 13M cases;
North America sets a new daily high of 175,919 (12/11);
The USA completes 164M, India 123M, Russia 67M, Germany 25M, Israel 5M and Kuwait 1M tests.

Algeria (867);
Belarus (1,167);
Lithuania (2,066);
Georgia (3,473);
Indonesia (5,444)
- 12% above the previous high;
Sweden (5,764) on 11/11;
Austria (9,586);
Ukraine (11,787);
Russia (21,893);
Italy (40,902); and
the USA (170,392) on 12/11;

... all
recorded new daily highs; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive days.

Observatio Facta Rotae

4 users like this post:
Old 14-11-2020, 01:10 PM   #7597
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
My last one on this, as I realise you would see this very differently if it was a "Scomo and Co" initiative. Again, quoted from Worksafe Vic

"the duty of a person not to recklessly engage in conduct that may place another person at a workplace in danger of serious injury."

You don't have to work there. It doesn't have to be your worker. It is just "another person". It can be passengers on a crashed bus. It can be a contractor. It can be any other person affected by the workplace. A workplace can be a vehicle - recent proof - The tragic death of 4 police officers in Melbourne, the Manager of the Transport Company was charged with industrial manslaughter. Did his workers die? Were they at his workplace?

Another real life example involving contracting out (prior to IM laws, but the same OHS precedents apply.)

A job was contracted out to a person at a major retailer. When he went there he was pulling lengths out of a raised platform. Someone had from the retailer had previously removed the safety rail to make it easier to pull the lengths out (drop was about 1 meter). Contractor steps back and falls, breaking an ankle. The company contracting the worker to work somewhere else was found guilty of failure to provide a safe workplace, even though it was not their premises. $10,000 and recorded against the Director of that business. (the retailer received the same fine)

Anyway - on with Covid. I have a feeling you may be a Monty Python fan and just want another $5
i know you dont want to go on about this but how does Bunnings get away with it ?
as a delivery you and their workers have to abide by all safety but as a general public person you and them dont
classic situation
i go to bunnings to make a delivery im not allowed on/off site with out my load secured nor am i allowed to be anywhere but a safe zone whilst the do anything
i go to bunnings as joe public and i dont have to worry leaving their gated premise with secured freight as long as ive paid for it nor are they concerned about safe distance between me and their in house stock replenishment forks

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
Old 14-11-2020, 01:12 PM   #7598
PHANTMXR6
It's not an FG MKI.......

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Willing to help out with useful advice in the technical areas of the forum. 
Smile Re: Covid 19 -

Russ, can you explain the math please?

3 new cases for Australia, yet NSW and Qld 1 each and 5 in the NT equals 7?

Want to know how to do an A Service for an FG XR6T?

Look in this http://fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11339404

Thinking of oil sampling your engine?

Have a look at this trend http://fordforums.com.au/showthread....ght=oil+sample
Old 14-11-2020, 01:17 PM   #7599
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Could I just remind everyone that this is not a Worksafe or OH&S thread.

If you think this topic justifies it's own thread please start one, any further comments about worksites that are not Covid related will be deleted.
Old 14-11-2020, 01:22 PM   #7600
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Interestingly, the case mortality rates are starting to even up between the Continents with Africa, Europe and Oceania all very close; North & South America about 15% higher and Asia the lowest with under 2%.

The global case growth rate isn't showing any sign of improvement thanks to the USA and large parts of Europe:

.. while the death rate is getting worse:

The USA case trends predictor is looking terrible and is now above the worst of the two trend lines with the potential to reach 16M by mid January.

The mortality trend is now above the lower of the two trends and on target to reach 300k by mid January.

Observatio Facta Rotae

Old 14-11-2020, 01:24 PM   #7601
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHANTMXR6 View Post
Russ, can you explain the math please?

3 new cases for Australia, yet NSW and Qld 1 each and 5 in the NT equals 7?
Two different sources of data that have different closing times. Over any 3 day period they equalise out.

Observatio Facta Rotae

3 users like this post:
Old 14-11-2020, 01:43 PM   #7602
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

The final charts for today look at the number of days since selected countries had their highest daily case numbers.

Starting with Europe, none of the 33 countries we watch have had longer than 20 days since their highest daily case number and 22 of them had their peak number in the last week.

It's a lot better for Asia with only 7 of the 31 targeted countries recording their peak in the last 7 days and 6 of them having had more than 150 days since that peak.

Africa is also not too bad with 6 of the 18 countries having their peak inside the last 20 days and 8 having more than 100 days elapsed.

Observatio Facta Rotae

4 users like this post:
Old 14-11-2020, 01:51 PM   #7603
Itsme
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wodahs View Post
i know you dont want to go on about this but how does Bunnings get away with it ?
as a delivery you and their workers have to abide by all safety but as a general public person you and them dont
classic situation
i go to bunnings to make a delivery im not allowed on/off site with out my load secured nor am i allowed to be anywhere but a safe zone whilst the do anything
i go to bunnings as joe public and i dont have to worry leaving their gated premise with secured freight as long as ive paid for it nor are they concerned about safe distance between me and their in house stock replenishment forks
By OHS laws and road laws you the public are responsible for securing your own load, you take responsibility once load is in your possession.

Cheers.

PS: Sorry Gasoline did not see your comment.
Old 14-11-2020, 04:01 PM   #7604
tweeked
N/A all the way

The US figures are interesting too as they don't show a huge winter/summer difference.

I fear the first year is just gradual seeding, the second winter is the one to watch.

Last edited by tweeked; 14-11-2020 at 04:16 PM.
Old 15-11-2020, 10:16 AM   #7605
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

My first experience with the QR code check in yesterday night.

It directed me to a non-unique webpage, without testing the impression was a bot could spam it with massive numbers of submissions. I also wondered how securely the data was held.
Old 15-11-2020, 11:45 AM   #7606
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Citroënbender View Post
My first experience with the QR code check in yesterday night.

It directed me to a non-unique webpage, without testing the impression was a bot could spam it with massive numbers of submissions. I also wondered how securely the data was held.
So....if you believe the Victorian government, one of the key reasons for delays in rolling out QR code in Vic has been tightening up on security and data privacy. They are adapting the "out of box" software so that data can ONLY be used for Covid tracing purposes, and nothing else. Not sure what this implies on other states

Where did you use it?
Old 15-11-2020, 11:55 AM   #7607
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

“Absolute Thai” in Hornsby, NSW.

Here’s the link as brought up by the QR code scanner? 18 month old phone with latest updates, unlikely a hardware glitch at my end.

https://absolutethaigroup.com.au/mem...r-register-wl/
Old 15-11-2020, 12:05 PM   #7608
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Sorry off topic, CB if you get a chance, Chat Thai in Sydney is great.
........resume normal transmission, back to covid.

Old 15-11-2020, 12:20 PM   #7609
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Here’s the link as brought up by the QR code scanner? 18 month old phone with latest updates, unlikely a hardware glitch at my end.

https://absolutethaigroup.com.au/mem...r-register-wl/
Hmmmmm I'd like to see the data flow. Does the data go back to a central database held by the gov, or is it held by the shop? First red flag for me is that the page is not SSL. Your name, phone and email makes up personal data, so already they have failed to meet the Privacy Act principles .
Old 15-11-2020, 12:40 PM   #7610
Trevor 57
is now there

Quote:

Section32 quote and again it relates to workplaces. You are totally misreading the intent of the law. Were the people who died in their workplaces? Yes they were in others workplaces, but you draw a very very long bow. However I will mention your stupid scenario with a mate who is a WorkSafe Inspector and get their take on your outlandish interpretation

Just get over it, Andrews or his ministry will NOT be charged with manslaughter FFS

Liberal federally tried this garbage with the 'pink batts' thing and it didn't work, but I guess you know better

So do we take John Howard to court for the deaths of our diggers in Iraq and Afghanistan? - can you see how ridiculous you are getting? Bob Menzies for WWII, what about John Gorton for Vietnam? They deliberately sent people to their death, so Section 39A to 39G Workplace Manslaughter directly relates the them (according to your logic)

Last edited by Trevor 57; 15-11-2020 at 12:49 PM.
Old 15-11-2020, 12:42 PM   #7611
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Does anyone else think that it's ironic that the Gov Covid App got shouted down yet people are happy to use the Q code.

(But as I'm not far from the bottom of the IT ladder perhaps I'm missing something.)
Old 15-11-2020, 12:46 PM   #7612
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasoLane View Post
Does anyone else think that it's ironic that the Gov Covid App got shouted down yet people are happy to use the Q code.

(But as I'm not far from the bottom of the IT ladder perhaps I'm missing something.)
Comes down to trust and perception. People don't trust the government they elected, but they trust the local shop Ultimately that is what it comes down to.

I reckon if the state governments issued their own CV tracing app, the uptake would at least double.
Old 15-11-2020, 12:50 PM   #7613
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

I figured up to the point of submitting, I could close the window and use pen/paper as also available. The email address is not mandatory on the form I linked, and I didn’t provide it.

Nothing I provided isn’t on the public register as a sole trader already, and I probably won’t make a habit of using it. But as a long-term cynic I thought worth having a crack. All the ra-ra had either been from the cheer squad or bunkerheads.

The question I felt it lacked was “number of people in group” - a handy cross-checking tool.

And yes, the openness of the form is a big fail!
Old 15-11-2020, 12:54 PM   #7614
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:

Ask Kmav.

Old 15-11-2020, 12:56 PM   #7615
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
Comes down to trust and perception. People don't trust the government they elected, but they trust the local shop Ultimately that is what it comes down to.
Which it seems was a mistake in some places.

A little while ago I believe that some people in Syd were complaining that after doing the Q code thing they were getting spammed by some establishments.
Old 15-11-2020, 01:09 PM   #7616
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:

Not even sure how this works, they are more pen and paper here which brings up the subject of why everyone handles the same pen to write down their details. We have been taking our own pens or ask the waiter/waitress to write down our details.

Old 15-11-2020, 01:11 PM   #7617
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Not even sure how this works, they are more pen and paper here which brings up the subject of why everyone handles the same pen to write down their details. We have been taking our own pens or ask the waiter/waitress to write down our details.
That's all my wife uses in her Hair Salon...time/name/phone number.
Old 15-11-2020, 01:15 PM   #7618
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
That's all my wife uses in her Hair Salon...time/name/phone number.
Yeah but how many people handle the same pen.

2 users like this post:
Old 15-11-2020, 01:15 PM   #7619
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Data valid as at 23:59 GMT November 14th, 2020.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

9 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR drops to 3.273% while active cases rise to 1,331. NSW recorded 4 cases and SA recorded 3 cases.

3 new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.251% and active cases rise to 55.

The UK had a slightly higher 26,860 cases yesterday. We know they are now not counting their mortalities by the WHO guidelines so we are going to ignore the CMR but even using their method they recorded 462 deaths.

Just over 188k new cases (a new record) in the USA yesterday and 1,416 deaths sees CMR drop to 2.259% and active cases rise to 36.1% with the raw numbers rising and now over 3.9M. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Global cases pass 54M with the last 1M taking 2 days;
Global cases set a new daily high of 660,798 (13/11);
The USA passes 250k deaths;
North America sets a new daily high of 202,961 (13/11);
The USA completes 166M, India 124M, Turkey 16M and Indonesia 5M tests.

Belarus (1,248) - the 5th consecutive day;
Moldova (1,411);
Azerbaijan (1,849);
Georgia (3,504);
Serbia (3,822);
Ukraine (12,524);
Russia (22,702); and
the USA (188,197) on 13/11;

... all

Observatio Facta Rotae

2 users like this post:
Old 15-11-2020, 01:27 PM   #7620
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

Nothing I provided isn’t on the public register as a sole trader already, and I probably won’t make a habit of using it. But as a long-term cynic I thought worth having a crack. All the ra-ra had either been from the cheer squad or bunkerheads.
Yep its odd. You can get names, addresses and phone numbers off the whitepages, but organisations still have to spend money to keep it "reasonably" secure. But that is what the Act requires
Closed Thread