Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > Non Ford Related Community Forums > The Bar

The Bar For non Automotive Related Chat

Closed Thread

Old 12-01-2021, 12:14 AM   #9001
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Covid 19 -

hi

want to ask why food places at moment seem a bit busier than exactly same time year before, if its because of coronavirus and border restrictions then was wondering how much longer itd likely go on for and when cafes hotels will be less rushed but still busy enough to keep you going.

it seems like people in especially food industry jobs are all at point where they just need a break like emergency workers atleast for a bit and they cant have it now and suffer even though they need it badly and theyve worked so hard since june last year when people got let out and its like they couldnt wait to be let out and can understand it as no one would like being locked up and its now january 2021 and the cafes dont seem to be getting much better.

would it be true or would some just be noticing/feeling it as they have had enough after doing it for years and years and just hanging on until times right.

all cafes hotels supermarkets and doctors and emergencny workers are probably going through same thing
Old 12-01-2021, 12:28 AM   #9002
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by car10002 View Post
hi

want to ask why food places at moment seem a bit busier than exactly same time year before, if its because of coronavirus and border restrictions then was wondering how much longer itd likely go on for and when cafes hotels will be less rushed but still busy enough to keep you going.

it seems like people in especially food industry jobs are all at point where they just need a break like emergency workers atleast for a bit and they cant have it now and suffer even though they need it badly and theyve worked so hard since june last year when people got let out and its like they couldnt wait to be let out and can understand it as no one would like being locked up and its now january 2021 and the cafes dont seem to be getting much better.

would it be true or would some just be noticing/feeling it as they have had enough after doing it for years and years and just hanging on until times right.

all cafes hotels supermarkets and doctors and emergencny workers are probably going through same thing

Wot??
Old 12-01-2021, 01:41 AM   #9003
zilo
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by EgoFG View Post
So ..
If CoronaVirus is about the same size as the flu virus it is 80-120 nm
It may be smaller, say 50-120 nm
Smoke particles are consider dangerous if they are under 2.25 µm, ie 2250nm

So, arguably we can conclude that if you can smell smoke through your mask it will not help with coronavirus.

UNLESS the coronavirus is carried on water droplets, then a mask that allows 2250nm smoke in may not allow coronavirus on water droplets in. If this is the case though then the droplets cannot stay airborne.
This is why we can say a mask is only needed if you are closer than 1.5metres to people who are infected and are sneezing or coughing.

Interesting argument, unfortunately when you compound extrapolations on extrapolations then the logic becomes nonsensical as this has become.

It is irrelevant on how small the virus particle is, the transmission medium is well within manageable proportions for most face masks.

Therefore facemasks work....stopping the transmissive medium stops the payload.

After all a small red LED traffic light can stop a semi trailer....
Old 12-01-2021, 02:59 AM   #9004
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by zilo View Post

Thanks for your opinion
This user likes this post:
Old 12-01-2021, 12:17 PM   #9005
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

NSW Deputy Premier John Barilaro tells Mark McGowan his COVID-19 lecturing could 'bite him on the bum'

"It was never about elimination, we know we can't eliminate it, it's about no community transmission," Mr Barilaro told Nine Radio.

"For Mark McGowan it's easy, he puts up the borders in Western Australia, he cuts himself off from the rest of the nation, he called me un-Australian when I questioned him on his lecturing of New South Wales."

"We've had COVID deaths in this nation but we're going to have more deaths from mental health, from people being locked away in isolation, people not being able to reunite with family, and Mark McGowan, that's actually what he stands for," he said.

"I'm happy to say that this morning and have a go straight back at him.

"Stop lecturing us, look after your own backyard ... but you know what, we're doing a bloody good job on the eastern seaboard and why don't you become a part of the rest of this country?"

"He's relying on royalties from mining — gee, the way China's going that may bite him on the bum," Mr Barilaro said.

"If he wants to be the type of Premier that works with the rest of us, great. But don't lecture us."

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-...tures/13050172

NSW Deputy Premier John Barilaro slams WA Premier Mark McGowan over border comment

In an interview with the 2GB radio station, Mr Barilaro said he was “happy” to “have a go straight back at” Mr McGowan.

“It’s offensive, it was never about elimination. We know we can’t eliminate it. It’s suppression, it’s about no community transmission,” he said.

“Victoria has had problems, Queensland has had problems. For Mark McGowan it’s easy, he puts up the borders in WA, cuts himself off from the rest of the nation … Jeez, here he is again lecturing.”

Mr Barilaro said Mr McGowan would have to “stand for” death and suffering that would come as a result of social isolation.

“Stop lecturing us, and look after your own backyard,” he said.

https://www.news.com.au/finance/work...f5573641aee529
Old 12-01-2021, 12:25 PM   #9006
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
You couldn't make this stuff up

Victoria unveils ‘traffic light’ border system - The Victorian government’s new “traffic light” permit system is not yet online, despite border changes coming into effect at 6pm.

3 hour delay on a IT roll out in the public sector. Just "mopping up" a couple of glitches. That is a win in my books

Meanwhile, 31000 permits processed.

And seeing whats been happening on the other side, I reckon some of these permits need to be vetted by ASIO.

I hear the Vic gov has taken out ads in NSW saying "don't come"?
Old 12-01-2021, 12:43 PM   #9007
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

OK, I am going crazy
Using Unweighted data from USA CDC Weekly Deaths by State and Cause of Death
I Graphed week 1 51 of 2018 against 2020, for total deaths, and for deaths from respiratory disease.
For respiratory disease (which I assume most COVID death would be coded as in this data) - the data lines are not significantly different, in total 2020 is 5% lower.
When I look at total deaths the lines are a little more divergent but 2020 is only 3% higher.
Please someone tell me what I did wrong

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aqdnqjxoo-fIzNp-...VDNlQ?e=naAdfe

Old 12-01-2021, 12:54 PM   #9008
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
OK, I am going crazy
I Graphed week 1 51 of 2018 against 2020, for total deaths, and for deaths from respiratory disease.
For respiratory disease (which I assume most COVID death would be coded as in this data) - the data lines are not significantly different, in total 2020 is 5% lower.
When I look at total deaths the lines are a little more divergent but 2020 is only 3% higher.

image image
You are comparing a period where there is / was substantial lock downs and restrictions (social distancing, crowd limits, masking etc) put in place, and yet the figures are nearly the same.

Also, 2017-2018 year saw a big spike in flu cases and deaths in the US, almost double that of previous years (according to CDC estimates). The exceptionally high numbers could have been included in your week 1-25.

Those are the only things I can think of.
Old 12-01-2021, 01:45 PM   #9009
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
You are comparing a period where there is / was substantial lock downs and restrictions (social distancing, crowd limits, masking etc) put in place, and yet the figures are nearly the same.

Also, 2017-2018 year saw a big spike in flu cases and deaths in the US, almost double that of previous years (according to CDC estimates). The exceptionally high numbers could have been included in your week 1-25.

Those are the only things I can think of.
And just comparing total number of deaths is too narrow and does not talk to the other impacts of the pandemic.

Health systems will be over run if we don't all try and flatten the curve, we are seeing it in; the US, UK and we do not focus much on third world countries but they are particularly vulnerable.

All the actions taken by populations of the world are not about Covid deaths as much as they are about slowing the spread so health systems are not over run.
Old 12-01-2021, 02:02 PM   #9010
HIPO
Al

Quote:
OK, I am going crazy

image image
Guess you just found yourself the truth!
Old 12-01-2021, 02:18 PM   #9011
car10002
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Why would places seem busier than same time last year and when will things likely go back to normal where it’s less busier but busy enough to keep people in jobs and tour
Old 12-01-2021, 02:33 PM   #9012
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyal View Post
No one seems to mention the environmental impact of masks, can you imagine the increase in this waste currently?!
I was more concerned about takeaway food containers and the dreaded takeaway coffee cups that like to end up in our rivers during all the lockdowns.

Old 12-01-2021, 02:56 PM   #9013
.:4:.
Kicking back

Quote:
Originally Posted by car10002 View Post
Why would places seem busier than same time last year and when will things likely go back to normal where it’s less busier but busy enough to keep people in jobs and tour
So dude, during this covid business and people working from home. My local businesses have done bumper trade. On the other end. I used to work in the sydney cbd, and with people working from home, i saw countless cafe's, eateries etc close their doors due to a massive downturn. One cafe owner i was good with stayed open as part of the rental agreement in the 28 story office block for the tennants, was to have a cafe in the foyer. So the cafe owner to stay afloat, got reduced rent, but still had to lay off most his staff. Even though there was no cafe open in 2 blocks, there was still not enough customers to do more then pay wages.
And the sad thing was. One of the girls he had to lay off was an international uni student. She doesnt get any government assistance. She had to move from student accommodation and was sleeping on a friends lounge. So no income. But every day at the end of trading, old mate, the cafe owner would put aside the best food wasnt sold. They made everything daily, and what wasnt sold would, if the staff didnt want it, it'd get binned. But every arvo she'd roll in and to be honest, she was probably eating a lot better then a lot of us. But still, that was nice gesture. So really, from what ive seen, and i have no scientific evidence. But with the whole work from home etc, the local takeways etc, have done really well, but in the commercial areas, places have suffered.
2 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2021, 03:15 PM   #9014
cs123
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Can't think of anyone more deserving. Russ Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For all the technical support behind the scenes. Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Technical submission 

Quote:
OK, I am going crazy

image image

CDC have a dashboard that you can use to view the data

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/c....htm#dashboard
Old 12-01-2021, 03:18 PM   #9015
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by T3rminator View Post
I hear the Vic gov has taken out ads in NSW saying "don't come"?
Apparently. I haven't seen them.

Aunty Gladys is taking out full pages in The Age and Sun Herald tomorrow saying "Why would we?"

4 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2021, 03:29 PM   #9016
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by FairmontGS View Post
Apparently. I haven't seen them.

Aunty Gladys is taking out full pages in The Age and Sun Herald tomorrow saying "Why would we?"

Weren't you down here in Nagambie recently.

Old 12-01-2021, 03:34 PM   #9017
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
So dude, during this covid business and people working from home. My local businesses have done bumper trade. On the other end. I used to work in the sydney cbd, and with people working from home, i saw countless cafe's, eateries etc close their doors due to a massive downturn. One cafe owner i was good with stayed open as part of the rental agreement in the 28 story office block for the tennants, was to have a cafe in the foyer. So the cafe owner to stay afloat, got reduced rent, but still had to lay off most his staff. Even though there was no cafe open in 2 blocks, there was still not enough customers to do more then pay wages.
And the sad thing was. One of the girls he had to lay off was an international uni student. She doesnt get any government assistance. She had to move from student accommodation and was sleeping on a friends lounge. So no income. But every day at the end of trading, old mate, the cafe owner would put aside the best food wasnt sold. They made everything daily, and what wasnt sold would, if the staff didnt want it, it'd get binned. But every arvo she'd roll in and to be honest, she was probably eating a lot better then a lot of us. But still, that was nice gesture. So really, from what ive seen, and i have no scientific evidence. But with the whole work from home etc, the local takeways etc, have done really well, but in the commercial areas, places have suffered.
Local bakery owners mother took to making masks straight from the start of all this.
I was told she made a clear profit of $300 000 non taxable, best money their family has ever made in 3 months.
While the bakery suffered it turned around in the long run.

Old 12-01-2021, 03:38 PM   #9018
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by .:4:. View Post
CBD traders are being smashed. But some suburban traders are inundated. I can't be bothered going to my local cafe during prime time because it is a ridiculous wait. Also, from what I've seen, some of the shops in the outskirts of metro are raking it in, particular down the San Remo, Phillip Island, Bass Coast area.....20 min wait for a coffee at 10am!
2 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2021, 03:39 PM   #9019
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIPO View Post
Guess you just found yourself the truth!
So now the CDC are "the truth", you have changed your tune!
Old 12-01-2021, 04:05 PM   #9020
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Weren't you down here in Nagambie recently.
Yep. Family stuff.
Old 12-01-2021, 04:08 PM   #9021
Work Horse
Budget Racer

Quote:
Originally Posted by cs123 View Post

CDC have a dashboard that you can use to view the data

https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nvss/vsrr/c....htm#dashboard
This has been posted before(perhaps by you?), but it seems some are seaching for a different truth....
Old 12-01-2021, 04:31 PM   #9022
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 

Data valid as at 00:00 GMT January 11th, 2021.

Sorry for the late data but I've ben up in the big smoke today.

Note: As not all Australian States report at the same time, the data below is based on the previous full day reporting.

19 new cases for Australia and no deaths so the CMR is 3.177%. NSW recorded 11 cases,
Queensland 4, WA 2, Victoria & SA 1 each.

3 new cases and no deaths for NZ so CMR is 1.125% and active cases 72.

The UK had 46,176 cases yesterday and 529 deaths.

Just over 224.5k new cases in the USA yesterday and 1,802 deaths sees CMR fall to 1.672% and active cases at 39.5% with the raw numbers rising and now over 9M. Note that the USA is actually minus one day due to time differences.

Other notable points:
Global cases pass 91M, the last 1M in 2 days;
The USA passes 23M cases;
Europe passes 26M cases;
South America passes 14M cases;

Only -
Tunisia (3,074)

... recorded a new daily high; those in blue for the second consecutive day and those in red for a third or more consecutive day.

Observatio Facta Rotae

4 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2021, 05:30 PM   #9023
T3rminator
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by MITCHAY View Post
You can argue the toss all you like about what everyone else is doing but NSW are consistent with the suppression strategy that was agreed to by all of them at national cabinet
This afternoon a rep from NSW (maybe deputy premier?) said something along the lines of "We are aiming for suppression so that we eliminate all community transmission".

And so it appears, everyone has the same goal as agreed at the national cabinet i.e. no community transmission.

NSW calls it suppression, everyone else calls it elimination.
2 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2021, 05:37 PM   #9024
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Love to see that, I would imagine the driver might be doing that.

Old 12-01-2021, 06:12 PM   #9025
Citroënbender
DIY Tragic

Chairman's Award: Chairman's Award - Issue reason: Your outstanding contributions to this community have not gone unnoticed. IN my view you are a worthy recipient of the (rarely used) Chairman's Award. 

I see the NT government is doing its signature thing; reacting quickly to perceived lessening of risk from interstate. A lot of former hotspots in Sydney are now unencumbered.
Old 12-01-2021, 06:23 PM   #9026
jakkes
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Interesting argument, unfortunately when you compound extrapolations on extrapolations then the logic becomes nonsensical as this has become.

It is irrelevant on how small the virus particle is, the transmission medium is well within manageable proportions for most face masks.

one thing iv noticed doing 10-12hr shifts for three months with over 300 people on site wearing mask's at work is "working in the human factor".

no matter how you enforce it, how you train people, how many times you drum it into people, how much you threaten people with their job....... people will be people and they always end up touching the stupid mask you will build up moisture in the mask you will constantly touch, rearrange, and adjust the mask. and then just spread the said medium via hands touching everything you come into contact with. i seen it, iv done it myself.

i'v even been people watching in super markets / shops out in the streets etc etc and its all the same

i can understand the mask stopping the larger droplets when breathing normally or a large portion of droplets on the odd sneeze..

the public is not trained/educated like a surgeon on how/why not to touch your mask...............and even if they were they'd still do it.

----------------------------------------------------------------
BA falcon XT mkII, 5.4lt, 5sp,
Y-code, xy windowless pano, 3 on the tree manual.
re-shelled xy falcon GT, manual.
1980 honda CX500 scrambler/dirt tracker
2 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2021, 06:43 PM   #9027
roKWiz
Cabover nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakkes View Post
one thing iv noticed doing 10-12hr shifts for three months with over 300 people on site wearing mask's at work is "working in the human factor".

no matter how you enforce it, how you train people, how many times you drum it into people, how much you threaten people with their job....... people will be people and they always end up touching the stupid mask you will build up moisture in the mask you will constantly touch, rearrange, and adjust the mask. and then just spread the said medium via hands touching everything you come into contact with. i seen it, iv done it myself.

i'v even been people watching in super markets / shops out in the streets etc etc and its all the same

i can understand the mask stopping the larger droplets when breathing normally or a large portion of droplets on the odd sneeze..

the public is not trained/educated like a surgeon on how/why not to touch your mask...............and even if they were they'd still do it.
Love the ones walking around inside shops with the mask down below thier noses.

2 users like this post:
Old 12-01-2021, 08:28 PM   #9028
Tickford.
🚫⏰4️⃣🐃💩

On the subject of how not to wear a mask....

Loving the COVID Cookbook. GOLD!
Old 12-01-2021, 08:48 PM   #9029
Mont5.0
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Donating Member3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tickford. View Post
On the subject of how not to wear a mask....

Loving the COVID Cookbook. GOLD!

give it up. Your stories getting old.
Old 12-01-2021, 09:59 PM   #9030
FairmontGS
WT GT
Donating Member3

Australian FI Grand Prix postponed until November because of coronavirus
https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-01-...virus/13052388
Closed Thread