Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 27-10-2020, 06:29 PM   #31
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: New Tow Tug ,What to Buy?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Yeah, this one for example is slightly longer (300mm) than a Thai dual cab ute but this thing turns on a dime. It can actually carry 5 people, 2 in comfort watching TV in the back sleeper and still carry 1.5tons of stone on the back tray and regoed to pull a 5ton trailer. Gets about 35mpg @100kmh on the highway.

I built it so it could pull a gooseneck RV (3in ball is slightly behind the axle centre, was a better option than a 5thW. plate) drop it onsite and use the truck to pick stone from a local quarry.

A RAM would be nice but is very limited (for me) as to what it can do.
Like anything horse for courses.

I'm looking to set up the Louisville with the same intention. This one will be turned back to a tray truck shortly.
A fellow just up the road has a 3” ball coupling on his Landcruiser tray.He has some sort of setup whereas he can drop the ball down to floor level when not towing.
Tassie f100 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 28-10-2020, 11:28 AM   #32
DK30RB

Depending on budget - why not an F150? You can have it rated to 4500kg with increased payload capacity.

I've got the 5.0 10speed with 3.73 diff. Average 9.5Litres per 100 on freeway not towing.
DK30RB is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 28-10-2020, 11:33 AM   #33
hayseed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTMOND View Post
You would need to move the axles on the caravan forward to lighten tow ball weight.

Pretty sure that Making the Caravan Drawbar longer would also reduce the Towball Weight..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2020, 11:43 AM   #34
351LTD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

F150 would be very nice but too expensive for me looked at older F250s but still alot of money and if anything breaks very expensive to sort! hence looking at the 1500 ram .
351LTD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2020, 11:47 AM   #35
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by roKWiz View Post
Prydey will be along shortly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 351LTD
I think the Ram even has a rear axle loading problem
ahh, sorry to disappoint roKWiz. looks like some people actually do their own research.

I've never said its a poor tow vehicle. Just pointed out some of the issues regarding the legalities. This was back a year or so though, and i admit that i haven't looked recently and it may well have been rectified. If so, its probably a good option.
Old 28-10-2020, 11:53 AM   #36
BENT_8
BLUE OVAL INC.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
Pretty sure that Making the Caravan Drawbar longer would also reduce the Towball Weight..
I wouldnt have thought so, a lot of the reason for higher than necessary ball weights is due to restrictions from interior design forcing the axles rearward, inceasing the distance would bring about other issues like stability.
Moving the axles forward would reduce ball weight but that would be economically unviable as the remodelling to shift the wheel arches would be a nightmare.
BENT_8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2020, 12:06 PM   #37
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by 351LTD View Post
but looking to get Bigger Van(3200 to 3500kgs)in near future ,Living in Caravan full time....... ideas???
If living in the van full time I would suggest doing it properly and not trying to compromise too much. By this i mean a decent size vehicle that can tow 3.5T comfortably.

79series can do it, but creature comforts are pretty much non existant.

I'd go big. F250, or that type/size vehicle. (silverado, ram etc).

Its a lot of extra coin but then you get the creature comforts as well as the towing stability. Better for everyone.

The other option, as mentioned already, is the small jap trucks. Sitting over the front wheel will always compromise ride though, even with an air seat.
Old 28-10-2020, 02:21 PM   #38
deesun
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I think I have seen something in the Iveco range too.

Had a look, they are not the norm but an Iveco Cab Chassis tray back has about a 8T GCM and 3.5T towing. LOTS of payload. Not stratospherically expensive then again not a powerhouse either.

Last edited by deesun; 28-10-2020 at 02:32 PM.
deesun is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2020, 09:59 PM   #39
351LTD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

yes i have checked them out ,just a little unknown ,may go and have a look first hand and take one for a drive ,4x4 one look cool but expensive once you get them to ride nice and fit out the back .
Old 28-10-2020, 10:13 PM   #40
leesa

I saw this on the highway last month. Don't be this guy, whatever you buy double check all your weights. This guy is going to roll at some point. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNazhmj905o
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2020, 10:36 PM   #41
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
I saw this on the highway last month. Don't be this guy, whatever you buy double check all your weights. This guy is going to roll at some point. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KNazhmj905o
No towball weight??
Old 28-10-2020, 11:06 PM   #42
EDManual
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

just get one of these :
Tow 3500, have a V8 Diesel and does 0-100 in 4.9 seconds! 310kw 900nm.
Cant beat that?

https://www.caradvice.com.au/896030/...n-suvs-arrive/
EDManual is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2020, 11:32 PM   #43
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

Suburban 2500's are cheap now and you can keep the 351 barge.
2000 Ford Falcon Wagon Egas
2000 Honda Accord V6L SVI dual fuel
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 28-10-2020, 11:42 PM   #44
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by leesa View Post
i don't think its as bad as you make out. I'm not familiar with that particular van but many vans aren't actually fitted with shocks, so vans take a lot longer to settle over any undulations etc.

Also, the van movement is having very little effect on the tow vehicle, so given the 'tail isn't wagging the dog' I'd suggest the tow vehicle actually weighs at least 20% more than the van.

Its certainly not an ideal setup but I don't think its an accident waiting to happen.
Old 29-10-2020, 12:03 AM   #45
leesa

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey View Post
i don't think its as bad as you make out. I'm not familiar with that particular van but many vans aren't actually fitted with shocks, so vans take a lot longer to settle over any undulations etc.

Also, the van movement is having very little effect on the tow vehicle, so given the 'tail isn't wagging the dog' I'd suggest the tow vehicle actually weighs at least 20% more than the van.

Its certainly not an ideal setup but I don't think its an accident waiting to happen.
Perhaps it hasn't shown up on camera but the whole thing was wiggle-waggling its way down the highway. You may be happy with that setup but to me it shouldn't even be on the road like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tassie f100 View Post
No towball weight??
I don't think so, it was an off-road caravan and the drawbar was so high off the ground I doubt it had much weight on the ball at all.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2020, 08:19 AM   #46
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

I don't think so, it was an off-road caravan and the drawbar was so high off the ground I doubt it had much weight on the ball at all.[/QUOTE]

Yeah,that is what I meant,the towbar on the ute seemed too low.
Old 29-10-2020, 09:39 AM   #47
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by janddbone View Post
Suburban 2500's are cheap now and you can keep the 351 barge.
I wouldn't be too comfortable shelling out $30K for something that's 25 years old then loading it up with a huge van, particularly that 6.5L TD V8 they have that's got some pretty serious reliability issues when the going gets tough, they crap out the electronics on the injection pump on the regular and there's cooling issues because of poor airflow through the front of it because of bad design. Also issues like poor castings causing porous blocks and issues with snapping crankshafts, they aren't easy to get parts for locally either.

But otherwise GMT400 Suburban looks gangsta as with big wheels on it
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2020, 11:48 AM   #48
janddbone
B1 - J & D Services
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
I wouldn't be too comfortable shelling out $30K for something that's 25 years old then loading it up with a huge van, particularly that 6.5L TD V8 they have that's got some pretty serious reliability issues when the going gets tough, they crap out the electronics on the injection pump on the regular and there's cooling issues because of poor airflow through the front of it because of bad design. Also issues like poor castings causing porous blocks and issues with snapping crankshafts, they aren't easy to get parts for locally either.

They are under 20k now, the entire fuel system can be replaced for the cost of one or two modern injectors in some cases... The motors are not indestructible I will give you that, but you have to be a pretty big tosser with the right foot to hurt them much. It's all perspective.
2000 Ford Falcon Wagon Egas
2000 Honda Accord V6L SVI dual fuel
1999 Subaru Imprezza Sportwagon
1998 Holden Suburban 2500
1995 Land Rover Discovery TDI
1994 XG XR6 Longreach
1983 Holden Rodeo
1982 ZK Fairlane 302 six seater
1975 Datsun 120Y wagon
1970 MG Midget
1967 Rover 2000TC
Soon: Model T.
janddbone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-10-2020, 12:43 PM   #49
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Currently have a D max and 2800kg Caravan but looking to get Bigger Van(3200 to 3500kgs)in near future ,Living in Caravan full time with House Rented Out So Looking at Replacing the D Max.A few side issues,Still work full time, Only want one vehicle if possible,Also have 80 Ltd 393 which will also be sold to fund Tow Tug,Needs to have something special factor(so no 200s) and 8 cylinders would be bonus.Have looked at most things but its hard to tick all my boxes.Any ideas???
I met a guy travelling near Katherine who had a similar sized van.
He had a custom built Patrol cab/ chassis built with 6.5L Chev Diesel V8 all certified for a 3.6 tonne van - a really nice job looked like new. they tray back was fitted out perfectly

said it cost him less than a 200 series, and was more practical than the long wheelbase American options

He was a retired Plumber from WA
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-10-2020, 01:07 PM   #50
Burnout
Falcon RTV - FG G6ET
Donating Member3

The Brother runs a 1990's G Wagon with a 2inch lift so as to fit the 6.5V8 diesel Chev in it. He has a 14psi wipple sitting on top. The motor is the 'old' type with no electrics on it (still available). The only other mod is 23lb squirters in the bottom end as it was built to cop 23psi. It's mated to an Allison 4speeder. Has diff lock front and rear. The rear seat is out of it and has been replaced by a fridge, a water tank and another battery.
The Van is an offroad job, weighs in at 3.4T loaded.
He followed me up Cunninghams Gap very early one morning. I was going along about 80kmph and I thought I'll slow down near the top so it can catch up. So had a look in the rear view and all I saw was the grill of the old Tojo.
It tows well and easily maintains 110kmph on the Warrego & Newell.
It's engineered and all legal in QLD.

RTV Power
FG G6ET 50th Anniversary in Sensation.
While the basic Ford Six was code named Barra, the Turbo version clearly deserved its very own moniker – again enter Gordon Barfield.
We asked him if the engine had actually been called “Seagull” and how that came about.
“Actually it was just call “Gull”, because I named it that. Because we knew it was going to poo on everything”.
Burnout is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-10-2020, 02:37 PM   #51
Vesper Martini
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BENT_8 View Post
I wouldnt have thought so, a lot of the reason for higher than necessary ball weights is due to restrictions from interior design forcing the axles rearward, inceasing the distance would bring about other issues like stability.
Moving the axles forward would reduce ball weight but that would be economically unviable as the remodelling to shift the wheel arches would be a nightmare.
Back to engineering class for you.
longer drawbars give better stability too, just rubbish turning circles with is a factor for caravans
Seadoo Challenger 210SE 310HP
Vesper Martini is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 29-10-2020, 03:29 PM   #52
smoo
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post

Go the 8.1 petrol instead?

https://youtu.be/bcWiQd3Xy1g
smoo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 29-10-2020, 06:31 PM   #53
351LTD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Finished work early so off for a fish at the beach,was going to keep the beach driving and soft 4x4ing out of the tug equation but i thing i have to put it in other wise i am going to get ****ed off later as i enjoy the sand too much,it makes things harder.
Old 03-11-2020, 09:06 PM   #54
351LTD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i guess i know the answer but does anyone know how little jap trucks (non 4x4)namely isuzu go on the sand ,the more you look into towing over 3t caravans the harder it gets to do it legally and safely ,
Old 03-11-2020, 09:31 PM   #55
Tassie f100
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Everyone is entitled to do whatever suits themselves,but for mine,I would very seriously be looking at a ball coupling or turntable 5th wheeler,lot shorter overall length,much more stable on the road
Old 03-11-2020, 11:00 PM   #56
hayseed

Quote:
i guess i know the answer but does anyone know how little jap trucks (non 4x4)namely isuzu go on the sand ,the more you look into towing over 3t caravans the harder it gets to do it legally and safely ,
IVECO make a very capable 4X4 version of the Daily..

https://www.iveco.com.au/Media/Defau...ec%20Sheet.pdf

However it's expensive & not overendowed with Torque or Horsepower ..
hayseed is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2020, 08:07 AM   #57
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Originally Posted by hayseed View Post
IVECO make a very capable 4X4 version of the Daily..

https://www.iveco.com.au/Media/Defau...ec%20Sheet.pdf

However it's expensive & not overendowed with Torque or Horsepower ..
Yep, they're very capable 4x4s:

https://www.carsales.com.au/editoria...review-117161/

https://www.caradvice.com.au/787067/...ly-4x4-review/

It's a proper 4x4 like the VDJ79 and factory fitment of 37" mud tyres, it's ridiculously expensive though.

Would you look at that, makes EXACTLY the same torque as Toyota 1VD-FTV 4.5L V8 across the same RPM too

I'm suspect on how that's going to go given it weighs nearly 3 tonnes on its own, add another 3.5 tonnes behind it and you'll be doing 45km/h up hills with that amount of torque.

It also starts at around the $100K mark for the single cab variation.

Isuzu NPS 4X4 may be the ticket:

https://www.trucksales.com.au/editor...review-115154/

Has the bigger 5.1L engine over the smaller variation and is available in 4500KG GVM

https://www.trucksales.com.au/items/...AG-AD-18917281

It's about the same price as the IVECO Daily 4x4, this one has a GVM of 7500kg but it gives you an idea of price and you'll end up doing 45km/h going up hills as well but it's a bit cheaper

I feel that you'll end up with a lot of compromises trying to get something that will do everything you ask, you might be better having a tow rig and a second car for 4x4ing.

Last edited by Franco Cozzo; 04-11-2020 at 08:33 AM.
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-11-2020, 10:39 AM   #58
351LTD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

if i wasnt a car guy it would be easier but driving a small truck without any go forward is not going to do it for me without a back up v8 toy as well.
Old 04-11-2020, 12:45 PM   #59
prydey
Rob

no idea how these would go on sand

Ford F250
petrol v8
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...18949002/?Cr=5

diesel v8
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...-6663135/?Cr=4

Chev Silverado
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...-6859183/?Cr=2

Dodge Ram
not sure on towing capacity or axle limits, but with a v10 sourced from the dodge viper, this would no doubt be fun...
https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/det...-6888277/?Cr=4
Old 04-11-2020, 12:51 PM   #60
wodahs
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i had a 2002 V8 pet Explorer and was happy enough with its off road capabilities , id imagine the F250 and Silverado be a simular experiance
only gor rid of it as i wanted a diesle and for the next three years regreted doing so

rebuilding the zh fairlane with a clevo 400m 4v heads injected whipple blown with aode 4 speed trans to a 9" ....... we'll get there eventually

just remember don't be afraid to try something new.
Remember, amateurs built the Ark...Professionals built the Titanic!

I have taken up meditation... at least it's better than sitting around doing nothing !!
wodahs is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post