Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Old 17-01-2021, 12:34 PM   #1
stazza
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Motorcycle Riders

I'm looking to buy a bike for the work commute and just general riding around having some fun. I used to ride Motocross and even had a road registered KTM Enduro a few years back, so I AM partial to a motard-style bike however I have a few questions for the more experienced road riders on here, and a few points I will highlight:

- I am not a fan at all of typical road bikes aka ZX, CBR, YZF-R. I don't like the looks, or the ergonomics.
- I'm not looking for something with a ton of power or speed, I just want to take it easy on the road.
- I mentioned I had a KTM Enduro road registered. Great bike offroad, however the seat was literally a pain in the **** and the vibration from the tyres on bitumen killed my hands. Plus the service intervals and maintenance was too much.

- I have been looking at the WR450F, what are these like for say... a 35km commute? What's the seat like for a ~30min to an hour long ride? Are these comfortable enough on the road with motard wheels?
- I've also been looking at the Adventure bikes online, like the KTM 390 Adventure and the Honda CB500X, anyone here had any experience with these?

I have been at work flat out and unable to get to any bike shops, hence me looking only online and asking on here thus far. I just want to narrow things down a little.

Any advice is welcome.

Thanks
2011 SILHOUETTE FPV GS 315 #0275
20x10", 20x8.5" Lenso D1R's
Pedders XA Coilovers
Brembo 4/1
Pacemaker 1" 7/8 Headers
Twin 3" Stainless Manta Catback
XFT Built Motor
XFT Custom Surge Tank
XFT Stage 3 ZF
Final Drive Chromoly Tailshaft
KPM Twin Air Filter
KPM Stage 2 Intercooler
KPM Twin Throttle Body
2.6L Kenne Bell on E85
BlueStreak Circle D Converter
900+ rwhp thanks to Xtreme Ford Tuning
stazza is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 17-01-2021, 01:34 PM   #2
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Motorcycle Riders

By no means am I a bike experience guru, but I have ridden quite a few. I was into trail bikes a long time ago, and thought they were good compromise, being light, enough power to get you pinged for excessive speed, and the go anywhere ability.

As for a Harley style bike, how much do you love your spine and backside. How these can be tolerated is beyond me …… maybe I am not MAN enough. Uncomfortable is not descriptive.

I found an Adventure type bike comfortable, but a bit top heavy for slow speed traffic commuting.

As for road bikes, I thought they were cramped and uncomfortable, just by looking at them, but a ride on a Triumph Sprint quickly changed that. Light, fast (too fast) and a really great seating position (for me)
Got all excited about getting back onto a bike, until common-sense and age realisation kicked in, but that style would be my pick (if I was still young and unbreakable).
lra is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2021, 01:54 PM   #3
.:4:.
Kicking back

I dont ride, my brother does. And he much prefers his current upright to previous sports bikes he has had for comfortablility for commuting. He has a z1000, so thats probably not what you're after, but maybe investigate uprights. My brother has compressed disks in his spine, so if he reckons an upright is a more comfortble bike to commute on, they cannot be that bad.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2021, 02:13 PM   #4
290GTP
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Don't buy a WR450 if you want a comfy seat, its an enduro bike afterall. Mine was a fair commuter with a heap of grunt, but there's probably better choices out there.

A mate of mine had a DR 400 motard which was fun to ride and comfortable. Might be worth a look.

Mercury Silver 03 BA GT-P Tremec TR3650 Number 534

Herrod 4 into ones, Manta Exhaust, CAI, K&N Filter, Mellings oil pump, 19" FPV alloys, Bilsteins, Kings, tuned by Autotech, 272rwkw

RIP Fish 15/1/73 - 9/2/19
290GTP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-01-2021, 02:36 PM   #5
buggerlugs
If it ain't broke........
Donating Member1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 290GTP View Post
Don't buy a WR450 if you want a comfy seat, its an enduro bike afterall. Mine was a fair commuter with a heap of grunt, but there's probably better choices out there.

A mate of mine had a DR 400 motard which was fun to ride and comfortable. Might be worth a look.
+ 1 on the DR400, great all rounder............
Old 17-01-2021, 02:37 PM   #6
ozpacman
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi Stanza,

I guess it really depends on how broad a role you want the bike to fulfil, i.e, do you want it to commute during the week and then do some serious off-roading on the weekends. The WR is pretty narrow focused and whilst it'd definitely be at home in the dirt, I think you'd quickly tire of it on the commute.

I'm thinking something more dual purpose such as a KLR650 or DR650 might be a better compromise. Both are good bikes on the tar and will still tackle some fire trail style riding with ease.

Your call though and there's plenty of great bikes out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
As for a Harley style bike, how much do you love your spine and backside. How these can be tolerated is beyond me …… maybe I am not MAN enough. Uncomfortable is not descriptive.
Absolute rubbish Ira. Have you ever actually ridden a Harley? Didn't think so, or maybe if you did it was a spin around the block on your mate's fully sic rigid open pipes and 20" apehangers.

I own two HD's. A 2000 Road King I've owned for 18 years and an '05 Lowrider that's a much more recent purchase. Have completed numerous 1000km plus days on the Road King and it's now covered 175,000 kms. I've never found it to be uncomfortable.

Did a 400km run on the Lowrider yesterday with no adverse effects. I turned 60 last year so am not talking with youthful exuberance here.

Cheers, Russ.

Last edited by ozpacman; 17-01-2021 at 03:06 PM.
ozpacman is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-01-2021, 03:19 PM   #7
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by ozpacman View Post
Hi Stanza,

Absolute rubbish Ira. Have you ever actually ridden a Harley? Didn't think so, or maybe if you did it was a spin around the block on your mate's fully sic rigid open pipes and 20" apehangers.
Cheers, Russ.
Hmmm, seems that you know a lot about me, what I have done and ridden.
Can't remember you beside me when I rode my son's POS Harley.
I don't know what it was, model, etc, can't even remember the capacity of the engine, all I remember was that after about 50kms I was glad to get off.
Perhaps I should stick to girly bikes like Suzuki 90s and Honda Step-thrus. As as I wrote I may not be MAN enough (beard and gut) for a Harley. .
If you are happy with your Harley, I am happy for you.
Just offering my opinion, but you know what they say about opinions.
Old 17-01-2021, 03:54 PM   #8
csi20
Starter Motor

Ira. Look at the Royal Enfield Interceptor 650. $9990 ride away.
csi20 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2021, 04:11 PM   #9
lra
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by csi20 View Post
Ira. Look at the Royal Enfield Interceptor 650. $9990 ride away.
Had an online look, looks classic. Reminiscent of a mates BSA from the 1960's.
Is current Indian quality better than old English quality ?

But I am not in the market for a bike.

While on opinions, two blokes I worked with (10+years ago ) had Hyosungs. One thought his was the duck's guts, the other regretted the day he bought it, with bits breaking and replacement parts not being readily available.
Old 17-01-2021, 04:15 PM   #10
csi20
Starter Motor

Quote:
Originally Posted by lra View Post
Had an online look, looks classic. Reminiscent of a mates BSA from the 1960's.
Is current Indian quality better than old English quality ?

But I am not in the market for a bike.

While on opinions, two blokes I worked with (10+years ago ) had Hyosungs. One thought his was the duck's guts, the other regretted the day he bought it, with bits breaking and replacement parts not being readily available.
My mistake message was for Stazza. Royal Enfield quality has improved remarkably in the last few years.
csi20 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2021, 04:38 PM   #11
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

I have a Yamaha MT-07, 700cc naked parallel twin that has a firing sequence like a v-twin.

Mine is the 'normal' global model (called the MT-07HO here), not the LAMS-approved one.

I have driven it into work in Melbourne from here (85km one-way) and find it pretty comfortable in stock form plus I get about 4litres/100km.

It's powerful enough to stay in front of traffic and isn't going to rip your arms off if you give it a wrist-full.

Mine now has a topbox purchased at the beginning of COVID in case I had to forgo public transport (my missus is immunosuppressed) but I ended up working from home since March.

If it is any help the seating position is upright, no weight on the wrists and you're not craning your neck to look forward.

I'm 56yo and pretty short at 5'5"...
Ratmick is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
3 users like this post:
Old 17-01-2021, 04:41 PM   #12
Pis-ton broke
Banned

i have a 2013 kawasaki klr 650 for sale right now, its only got 4098k,s on it.
klr,s are a road trail bike, they have quiet a following. what area are you from? check out at.
https://www.bikesales.com.au/bikes/d...-7001061/?Cr=5

if interested, let me know.
mick
Pis-ton broke is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2021, 05:16 PM   #13
383hq
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Depends on your budget, DRZ-400 is a good choice if you don't care for power and only have a few $K to spend. I had one, but sold it pretty quickly - soft in the suspension and power delivery compared to the harder edged bikes

I'd go for rubber footpeg / balancer donk like a KTM 690 or the new husky 701 (or 701 LR) depending on your budget. Don't see many of the older 690s for sale, like my berg 570, people that own them hang onto them.
The new KTM 790/800 is dynamite (I'm told, haven't ridden it yet)

I've ridden a KTM 525exc from Brisbane to Cape York, so you can make a normal enduro work if thats your thing. I wanted to do the Cape, so I made it work.

Some use airhawk , some use sheepskin, some add an extra inch of foam and some just pony up. i was more concerned with a rear cush drive then an uncomfortable saddle, but I was younger then....
383hq is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2021, 05:44 PM   #14
nstg8a

I have a Yamaha xt660x that I use for the commute occasionally, it’s a hoot to ride but on a long trip the vibes sure get to you.
Lams legal but still enough power to stay well in front of the cages at the lights.
Being super motard it’s very versatile too, easy enough to bounce over anything you need to but still a blast in the twisties.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
nstg8a is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2021, 06:10 PM   #15
UTXR8

I have a can am spyder rss se5....great comfy bike....and sporty...has reverse gear, brembo brakes, power steering, stability control, cruise control, storage trunk, mobile phone/satnav holder with USB... semi auto 5 speed....maybe one of these may suit you?...
UTXR8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2021, 08:40 PM   #16
DougM

Bike Mechanic here...... Enduro bikes are MX bikes with lights.... That means higher maintenance than road bikes..... MT07 or XSR700 are great value and loads of fun.... Light and manoeuvrable for commutes and great for open road and spirited riding...
DougM is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2021, 08:54 PM   #17
simon varley
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: Bringing sanity to the Everest threads. 

DL650 VStrom. Just about the best all rounder you can get.
simon varley is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
2 users like this post:
Old 17-01-2021, 10:26 PM   #18
.:4:.
Kicking back

As i said previously, i dont ride, and thats because my left arm doesnt work. But i really like the tight tollerances and engineering for bikes. My brother has a few. I mean has not had. So there's the rd250lc, its a 1980 model. So twin front rotor conversion, its a 2 stroke, but was bored out to 368cc. Made 63hp on the dyno at wayne smith performance. So, nothing astounding, but it was better then what it was. Then theres the vt500e. Its an 84. I reckon its an e because it doesnt have fairings, my brother reckons its a vt500f because its supposed to have fairings, but doesnt. Then theres the dirt squirter, the suzuki rm250. Then the suzuki across, the learner burner. The zx7r. The vtr 1000. And the z1000.
And these are the ones he has. He reckons the vtr is probaly the best, but it did a timing chain, which in turn did a number on the motor. Im no mechanic, and i dont like meetings, but i dont think I'd like to sit on a meeting where the valves punch on with the pistons. But, for a bike, 90 odd thousand kays is a few.
.:4:. is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2021, 10:49 PM   #19
MrEL
Sick Puppy

My best mate has a KLR 650. Bought it when on his Ls 6-7 years ago. Loves it and finds no need to get something else.
Another mate has a 650 Vstrom. Loves it too. Nice bike to ride with a lot of gear on it.
Myself I have a Ninja 650L. Nice bike , lots of fun but probably wouldn't recommend it for a regular commute.
MrEL is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 17-01-2021, 10:55 PM   #20
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

What about something like Husqvarna Svartpilen 401? It shares components with KTM Duke 390 and has had a massive price drop from $11K to $7K

https://www.mcnews.com.au/husqvarna-...ne-from-husky/
Franco Cozzo is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-01-2021, 12:53 AM   #21
nstg8a

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franco Cozzo View Post
What about something like Husqvarna Svartpilen 401? It shares components with KTM Duke 390 and has had a massive price drop from $11K to $7K

https://www.mcnews.com.au/husqvarna-...ne-from-husky/

That’s a huge price drop.

Fortnine (YouTube) did a great review on them. I’d own one.
Old 18-01-2021, 12:55 AM   #22
nstg8a

Default Motorcycle Riders

Quote:
Originally Posted by nstg8a View Post
That’s a huge price drop.

Fortnine (YouTube) did a great review on them. I’d own one.

Sorry, it was the vitpilen 701 they tested... would still own haha.
Old 18-01-2021, 01:05 AM   #23
CFOUR
The Destroyer

test ride a mt07 and a ktm 690. I really liked the new indian ftr 1200 when i tested it but much more expensive.
Old 18-01-2021, 11:06 AM   #24
Big_Daz
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

My best mate has a Kawasaki Ninja 1000 as his daily rider. Its his only transport (his wife uses the car) and he loves it. His commute is approx. 30km each way and we take it on big runs (me in my SSV him on the bike) through the mountains.

He came off another Kawasaki (ZX-6) which was quick but super unfomfortable for his daily commute, the Ninja 1000 is a MUCH better daily/longer distance ride whilst still having decent speed, etc. He paid about $12k for his on the road.

Hers: 2020 (MY21) Kia Sorento GT-Line in Mineral Blue
Hers on Order: MY24 Ford Everest Platinum in Equinox Bronze
His Weekender: 2017 Commodore SSV Redline manual in Light My Fire Orange
His Daily: 2023 Hyundai Tuscon Elite N-Line in Crimson Red
Big_Daz is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2021, 11:59 AM   #25
Stubbie

A lot probably depends on how much you want to pay and what you want to do with it outside of your commute. The CBX500 would be ideal for the commute but for a 400km ride on the weekend you'd be wishing you'd bought something else real fast. I haven't ridden many trail bikes on bitumen but they all felt uncomfortable to me. Maybe ok with road tyre's instead of knobby's. The Husky's look good but I see the seat height is 835mm. That seems pretty tall for a bike. If your only short you will be standing on tip toes. I think I'd be tempted to stick with one of the Japanese bikes, reliable, comfortable and you can get them for a reasonable price.
Stubbie is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2021, 12:37 PM   #26
happy1
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Hi, my daily commute around town is a Rocket3. It certainly has enough power to be the first out at the lights. Very low maintenance, since it is a shaft drive. Oil change interval is at 15K, so for me that's about every 4th year. Mine haven't got ABS, but I would recommend that. They have depreciated with age, so a lot of bike for the $$. Cheers
happy1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-01-2021, 05:34 PM   #27
AU3XSR
First time Falconless

My daily is a derestricted Ninja 650. I do an 80km round trip to/from work, and it's very comfy with a low seat height and rubber mounted bars/pegs to cut vibration. Being a 600 it's got plenty of grunt for motorway use without struggling. It's not too bad on fuel (about 4L/100km) and is easy to work on/maintain.

Much like the MT07 it's a parallel twin. They're a sports touring bike like the Ninja 1000. Has the fairings and look of a sports bike, but a more upright riding position. This is my second Kwaka (my first one also being a Ninja 650). Coming from a supersport Daytona 675, the Ninja has a more upright position (and no under seat exhaust to cook my backside) which is a godsend for longer commuting.

Previous:-
2012 Fiesta Metal | 2001 AU2 XR6 | 1994 EF Fairmont | 2010 FG XR50 Ute | 2006 BF Typhoon | 2002 AU3 SR
AU3XSR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post