Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 14-05-2005, 11:41 PM   #1
b2tf
not here much anymore

Default AU 2/3 XR Leather seats

Just a query guys - getting rather sick of having to de-pil the velour seats in the Fairmont (AU2 Fairmont, has a velour trim) and I remember seeing on Ebay a few times now what look to be leather covers from AU 2/3 XR seats. From what I gather they are just the leather part of the seat which is removed and you can slip it over or stitch it into another seat - is this right?

And if it is, how different in shape are XR seats to Fairmont ones? I'm looking at this as a better option that dodgy seatcovers because it'll give me leather too, but Im just not sure if its possible, and I dont want to have big flappy loose bits in the leather because it doesnt fit the seat properly.

So if someone can give me some info on the leather bits (or any other options apart from seatcovers) that'd be really handy. TIA.
Old 15-05-2005, 11:08 AM   #2
jonbays
TL40 Wagon?

Yes I am in exactly the same boat. I even bid on those XR6 leather seat trims on ebay but missed out.

All I have found out is an auto trimmer will recover the existing seats in leather for me but the cost $$$.
jonbays is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 15-05-2005, 11:24 PM   #3
b2tf
not here much anymore

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbays
Yes I am in exactly the same boat. I even bid on those XR6 leather seat trims on ebay but missed out.

All I have found out is an auto trimmer will recover the existing seats in leather for me but the cost $$$.
Jon,

yup there's always the option to get the seats recovered but Im cheap :hihi:.
Old 16-05-2005, 08:43 PM   #4
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonbays

What was the price you got quoted?
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2005, 09:09 PM   #5
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

THe covers as such are easy to fit.. You undo the fabric, they are only held on with 'bent nails' <--- sortof like the hooks that hold hesian (sp*) bags closed.

THen you just put the hooks back into the foam and your done.. THey are tight as but it isn't hard

Last edited by Racecraft; 16-05-2005 at 09:10 PM.
Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2005, 09:16 PM   #6
b2tf
not here much anymore

Racecraft,

is it essential to take off the existing fabric? If i was to do this I'd leave it on there to keep the seats as firm as possible, and just put the leather ove the top.
Old 16-05-2005, 09:21 PM   #7
Racecraft
they call me Tibbo

I don't think so, it'd be too tight, I doubt you'd be able to slide it over ... DEpends if it is factory spec or alittle larger to allow for it to slide over the foam and the velour.

Racecraft is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2005, 10:07 PM   #8
b2tf
not here much anymore

Ahhhh ok, well the aim would be to use Factory spec leather as its probably going to be easier to get (hopefully). May have to see what we can find about the velour on there already.
Old 16-05-2005, 10:16 PM   #9
james

how much do auto trimers charge, i have my ebii s pack. the driver seat is really showing its age now, and im not spending 500 dollars on a pair of seats.

does anyone know any good auto trimmers in NSW?

i would rather pay 500 dollars to re pack my drivers seat than get 2 new seats.

James
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2005, 10:21 PM   #10
FalKeen
FTF Car Club NSW

or you could be lucky and pick up an "as new" full herrod leather interior for a good price :the_finge

sorry, im rapped! :sm_headba
FalKeen is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 18-05-2005, 03:45 PM   #11
Axle-F
AU - YEA YOU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by back2thefutura
Just a query guys - getting rather sick of having to de-pil the velour seats in the Fairmont (AU2 Fairmont, has a velour trim) and I remember seeing on Ebay a few times now what look to be leather covers from AU 2/3 XR seats. From what I gather they are just the leather part of the seat which is removed and you can slip it over or stitch it into another seat - is this right?
Just be careful to read the fine print in those auctions. I have seen some seat covers similar to what your talking about but buried deep in the auction text it disclaims that its not actual leather, just some synthetic immitation leather. I've never seen or felt the fake leather (that i know of) so I'm not saying it's bad, but just to be wary of exactly how the item is described...
Old 18-05-2005, 07:40 PM   #12
GlennBA
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axle-F
Just be careful to read the fine print in those auctions. I have seen some seat covers similar to what your talking about but buried deep in the auction text it disclaims that its not actual leather, just some synthetic immitation leather. I've never seen or felt the fake leather (that i know of) so I'm not saying it's bad, but just to be wary of exactly how the item is described...
ford leather isn't real either. Only the inserts.
GlennBA is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 19-05-2005, 03:34 PM   #13
Axle-F
AU - YEA YOU!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennXRT
ford leather isn't real either. Only the inserts.
Well there you go. Like i said tho i had no idea what the immitation stuff is like