Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 23-05-2012, 07:26 AM   #1
Mallard
Evil Mastermind

Default Ridiculous A/C vent options

I find the vent options on the standard/futura ridiculous. For some reason I cannot have warm air coming out of the footwell and dash vents at the same time and I can't use recirculated air on the windscreen. What rocket scientist designed this?

First thing in the morning when it the temperature outside is in the single digits, I want recirculated air on the windscreen then warm air on my face and feet. Can someone tell me why I would want warm feet and a cold face?

Sorry, just ranting here as I doubt there is any form of simple solution.

Does the fairmont have this stupidity too?

Mallard is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 08:50 AM   #2
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 
Default Re: Ridiculous A/C vent options

Yes, like i've often said, the AU only had 3 faults, and this is one of them. I've owned, i don't know, 9 or 11 or something cars now, and every single one of them can supply me with warm air to my face and feet. BUT NOOOOOOOOOO ITS TOO HARD FOR AN AU.
Old 23-05-2012, 09:26 AM   #3
Kryton

At least you know that if you ever do use it, youd be the first one to do so.
Kryton is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 10:30 AM   #4
GasoLane
Former BTIKD
Donating Member2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallard
Can someone tell me why I would want warm feet and a cold face?
On a long trip, especially at night, cool air on your face would help to keep you alert.

It's not just Ford, my old Benz has the same climate control settings, turn the heat to high and cool air still comes out of the dash vents.
Old 23-05-2012, 11:53 AM   #5
Mallard
Evil Mastermind

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasOLane
On a long trip, especially at night, cool air on your face would help to keep you alert.
Only problem with that is it has been proven that cold air on your face does not keep you alert. It has an initial impact but that quickly wears off.

The majority of trips aren't overly long and I would like to be warm on them. I wouldn't consider that an unreasonable request. *sigh*
Old 23-05-2012, 04:01 PM   #6
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

The Series 1 allows recirculated air as a demist option. I really like this, as in traffic, at least you can have the screen demisting without inhaling the fumes of the cars in front of you.

This changed on the S2-3 though.

GK

2015 Kia Sorento Platinum - Snow White Pearl

2001 Ducati Monster 900Sie - Red

Now gone!
1999 AU1 Futura Wagon - Sparkling Burgundy
On LPG

Want a Full Life? John 10:10
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 07:39 PM   #7
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mallard
Only problem with that is it has been proven that cold air on your face does not keep you alert. It has an initial impact but that quickly wears off.

The majority of trips aren't overly long and I would like to be warm on them. I wouldn't consider that an unreasonable request. *sigh*
winding your window right down on frosty night will wake you up , part of the occupation ay Gaso
yes not being able to have windscreen demist on recirculate has always annoyed me too, the fresh air fumes seem to waft in big time while your sitting in a trafffic jam .
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 07:46 PM   #8
MNM96
LIFELONG DJR SUPPORTER

I hate having to breath in, and out! Maaaannnnnn, why is life so hard?

I have had an AU for 11 years and never considered the cars ability to keep me warm, and the windows clear, ever. Seems pretty easy for me!
MNM96 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 09:03 PM   #9
smally289
growing up is optional

I miss the warm air on feet and cool air on face setting during long trips. I don't care what has been proven, it works for me. My ED and EF had it, but my Prado doesn't.
Recirculated air will fog a windscreen up which is why the system reverts to fresh.
smally289 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 23-05-2012, 10:14 PM   #10
Sox
RIP...

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: As recommended by Ropcher. Personifies the spirit of AFF. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by smally351
I miss the warm air on feet and cool air on face setting during long trips. I don't care what has been proven, it works for me. My ED and EF had it, but my Prado doesn't.
Recirculated air will fog a windscreen up which is why the system reverts to fresh.
Correct on both counts.
Warm for feet and cool air for your face is much better.
I can't stand hot air blowing on my face.

And recirculated air doesn't work any near as well as fresh air for de-fogging. In some instances it doesn't work at all.

Our Beemer defaults to fresh air when on demist setting.
Old 23-05-2012, 11:49 PM   #11
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

i can say with my AU, it really defogs the windscreen fast, fresh air or recirc, aside from the gripe of no re circulation on screen setting , the heater is bloody magnificent, i still love my AU, if i could buy another newey even with the few small flaws i would in a heart beat.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2012, 10:36 AM   #12
Mr Hardware
Flairs - Truckers Delight

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: The excellent how to on LPG jet cleaning. 

the dehumidification properties of the air-conditioner is what de-fogs your windscreen, the heat setting doesn't really make a difference

go try it - full bore heat and air-con on to defog your windscreen, works a treat.
Old 24-05-2012, 11:19 AM   #13
SSD-85
Donating Member
Donating Member1

Cold A/C is definitely the best method for windscreen demisting. Especially in wet weather.
The heater works too, but it takes forever. Not really an option if you cant see.

As for the hot feet, cold face option, I cant really understand it either. But hot air on the face makes it all very stifling very quick, so I just have hot foot air on & it sets cabin temperature nicely in a few minutes.
SSD-85 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-05-2012, 11:56 AM   #14
Mallard
Evil Mastermind

I find a blast of cold AC defogs the windscreen then the heater keeps it clear.

When it is very cold outside, to get the footwell heater to head the cabin requires me to cook my feet. I'm continually shifting between just the dash vent and the foot/dash combo to keep an even temp.
Old 24-05-2012, 10:19 PM   #15
an10as

It's not just AU's it's a Ford thing and other makes as well.
My XF and my EA both did the same thing: warm air to feet, cold air to to dash.
My feet roast and the rest of me freezes. *** stoopid idea Mr Ford!!!
I just set it to one or the other instead. If the feet get cold I switch it over for a while.

Quote:
Cold A/C is definitely the best method for windscreen demisting. Especially in wet weather.
Doesn't matter whether the temp setting is on hot or cold. It's the dried air from the a/c evaporator that dehumidifies, and it does it fast.
an10as is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2012, 12:18 PM   #16
EgoFG
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by an10as
It's not just AU's it's a Ford thing and other makes as well.
My XF and my EA both did the same thing: warm air to feet, cold air to to dash.
My wife loves that option in her Mazda.
Me, I just leave the Ghia on Auto.
EgoFG is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post