Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Club and Speciality Forums > Forum Community Car Clubs > AU Falcon.com.au

Old 03-05-2005, 11:27 AM   #1
TRBOETR
Huge Fatty

Default My AU Issues...

I've had my AU for a week or so now, and I can tell you now, I dont know what I saw in the holdens.

But I need a few wrinkles ironed out. The brakes on my AU are VEEEEERY sensitive. I touch the brakes slightly and there is nothing, then a little more and they clamp down really hard. To get smooth braking I need to press my foo ever so lightly to slow down the clamping a little. Are the braking systems power assisted or anything? Cause it also seems that no if I leave my foot on the brake at the same pressure/spot, the brakes seem to keep clamping harder, which isnt too bad, but the whole clamping thing is a little scary sometimes, and it is very jery most of the time. Has anyone else had this, or is it just how ford brakes are?

Another thing, my remote central locking keeps chucking a spaz, the central locking works fine with the key, but when you press the button it has a spaz and doesnt lock. Is this just the locking mechanism? Apparently this is the second time the locks have gone on this car, and its only done 80,000km.

On the other hand, I have had a custom, not too fancy sound system installed wich sounds bloody awesome!! I am absolutely wrapped with my AU!!
TRBOETR is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2005, 11:43 AM   #2
xceler8shun
Ford Fanatic

the locking remote battery could be going flat, chuck a new one in and see if the problem goes away
xceler8shun is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2005, 11:58 AM   #3
TRBOETR
Huge Fatty

Even though that locks go partially down then back up (the spaz part)? I figured if it is sending a signal at all the battery should be fine. Boot opens good as well, so I rekon its the mechanism...

Cheers!!
Old 03-05-2005, 01:11 PM   #4
xceler8shun
Ford Fanatic

it might think that the door is ajar and the locks pop back up, like when you have the door open and you press the drivers side lock down, it pops staright back up.

does it sound the horn at all when it does the spaz
xceler8shun is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2005, 01:15 PM   #5
TRBOETR
Huge Fatty

yeah it does sound the horn. Does this mean something else?
Old 03-05-2005, 01:30 PM   #6
TheSneakiness
Adapt or perish...

The door is ajar. Try closing all doors properly and try locking it again.
Old 03-05-2005, 01:35 PM   #7
TRBOETR
Huge Fatty

Nah it does this everytime I close the doors, regardless of which door, and it locks perfectly fine with the key. If the door was ajar wouldnt it prevent it from locking manually?
Old 03-05-2005, 02:06 PM   #8
Pete A
Boss 260

Sounds like your central locking system needs fixing - symtoms don't sound right. If the doors are not ajar, then you need to get Ford to look at it ( and probably rip you off to fix it). I would suggest you put a small amount of graphite powder or light oil on the front door plungers, if there is any resistance to them going down your problem could occur. Also the horn will only sound if the system thinks the doors are ajar + boot and bonnet if you have an alarm( normally)Do you have a Sentry alarm system on it?

Owned an AUII for 4 years and never had the brake problems you mention. The AU brakes were generally very responsive. Sounds like new pads and a system flush is needed.
Pete A is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2005, 02:17 PM   #9
TRBOETR
Huge Fatty

Cheers for that. If the mechanism is faulty then the system would think that the door is ajar, so I rekon I might go that way first. I will be able to get cheap parts and fit them myself anyways, not gonna go the ford way and get ripped. They quoted $250+ supply and install lock mechanism, when the part can be sourced by myself for $40!!!
Old 03-05-2005, 09:15 PM   #10
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRBOETR
Cheers for that. If the mechanism is faulty then the system would think that the door is ajar, so I rekon I might go that way first. I will be able to get cheap parts and fit them myself anyways, not gonna go the ford way and get ripped. They quoted $250+ supply and install lock mechanism, when the part can be sourced by myself for $40!!!
Have you read the owner's manual on this issue? My AU1 wagon does the same thing and there's nothing wrong with the remote keypad. Also, my door locks with the key.

Here you go, i'm quoting from the owner's manual p64.

"The front doors cannot be slam locked. If the vehicle's horn sounds a series of short beeps when locking with the Keypad, check that all doorsand tailgate (wagon) are properly closed."

Also p66.

"From outside the vehicle, use the remote entry keypad or the ignition key in the driver's door handle to lock/unlock all of the doors."

The reason for this isn't explained though. So there you have it, no slam locking!!

Hope that helps!

Cheers
GK is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-05-2005, 10:20 PM   #11
AUGhiaV8

And change your brake pads. I've used Lucas pads in the past and they've been gret. Recently changes to Ferodo and they grab just like you described... bloody annoying. Also notice they hardly work at all until warmed up - quite frightening when you live on the side of a hill.

With respect to your remote... mine does this when the battery starts to go flat (and will last for ages like that too) however I agree with the other guys re the possibility of the problem being the door ajar switch also. New battery is a cheap check - if that doesn't work then go to Ford (or fiddle with it yourself) as a second option.
  Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2005, 09:03 AM   #12
TRBOETR
Huge Fatty

Cool. Cheers for that. I'll have a look at the battery first, then I'll go from there. Hopefully it will be the battery, but I cant see that it will cause the doors are all closed properly, and since everyone says the doors are ajar, thats what makes me think that the mechnism is faulty. Oh well, soon to find out.

Cheers again!
Old 04-05-2005, 06:23 PM   #13
sfr rob
○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○○ ○○○○○

hey my nig-ha!

Dude i got the EXACT same problem!

ok, my battery IS SHITE.. it keeps dying etc... havent got around to getting a new one.. too busy with work...
anyway, the other day, i took the drivers side door apart to see what the problem was, i am thinking it is the mecahnism also.

My car has a crazy HORNET alarm system on it, so i thought it had something to do with that too, but it doesnt.

When i press my remote to Open the doors when it is locked it opens fine!
If i press it again to Lock, the thing sorta does a double lock then my drivers door comes ajar, but still doesnt lock.. VERY VERY WEIRD....

if it somehow decided to lock, it is REALLY REALLY hard to open the doors from the inside, it almost feels as though you will break the handle off it is that hard, till it finally gives and the doors come open.
I took a look at this prob with the door panel off, and there is a little plastic thing that sits beneath part of the mechanism that isnt moving out of the way like on the other side.... I just realised... noone will probably know what i am going on about hey?!
:the_finger
HAHAHA oh well.

So now i close my door very slowly, no slam shutting, more of a click, then push to close.
This seems to help it work.

Going to grab a new battery this weekend so i will let you know how i go mate!

:Up_to_som
sfr rob is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2005, 06:26 PM   #14
Casper
FF.Com.Au Hardcore
Contributing Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfr rob

My car has a crazy HORNET alarm system on it, so i thought it had something to do with that too, but it doesnt.
You got one of them too? Thats whats on my car. Must have been a dealer fit then. I just assumed it was aftermarket.

Not a bad alarm but can be bloody annoying and theres SFA support for them now.

Now in Euro-Trash. VW Coupe V6 4motion.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-05-2005, 06:32 PM   #15
TRBOETR
Huge Fatty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfr rob
hey my nig-ha!

Dude i got the EXACT same problem!
LOL. bloody great isnt it. I havent tried all the combinations you have, but mine is never hard to open from the inside. Sounds more like yours is the mechanism and mine is battery. I'll replace mine hopefully tonight and see what happens.

oh, on second thoughts, if I can find a small enough screwdriver I might!!!!!
Old 04-05-2005, 11:40 PM   #16
au-steve
fully *** turboooo

IMO its not the batteries at all. Try taking your door trim off and you'll see a thin steel rod thats bent at all sorts of angles and it winds its way to the little knob thing (thing that goes up and down when you lock the car)
anyway, sometimes (especially if you've had someone put a stereo in) this rod bends, and therefore theres always pressure on the trigger. You'll need a new rod if this is the case.

to test this, take the door trim off and lock and unlock your car, if its fine the rod will shake around as its hanging loose at the moment, but you'll know that the central locking system itself is okay, and its just the rod you need.

Hope that helps, was happening to me for ages until i ripped my doors apart cause i got sick of it.
Full comp insurance :nutsycuck
au-steve is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 05-05-2005, 06:02 PM   #17
GK
Walking with God

Tech Writer: Recognition for the technical writers of AFF - Issue reason: Writing tech articles 

[QUOTE=TRBOETR]I've had my AU for a week or so now, and I can tell you now, I dont know what I saw in the holdens.

Another thing, my remote central locking keeps chucking a spaz, the central locking works fine with the key, but when you press the button it has a spaz and doesnt lock. Is this just the locking mechanism? Apparently this is the second time the locks have gone on this car, and its only done 80,000km.

Hmmmm, Me thinks I've read you wrong. You were referring to the knob on the keypad right? I thought you were talking about the knob on the driver's door.

Now all of the comments are making sense to me!!!

Cheers
Old 05-05-2005, 06:11 PM   #18
TRBOETR
Huge Fatty

hehe, yeah thats the one...
Old 05-05-2005, 08:04 PM   #19
GK
Walking with God

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRBOETR
hehe, yeah thats the one...
Well I hope you get it sorted out ok.

Cheers
Old 13-05-2005, 12:34 PM   #20
OldManGhia

My drivers side door did exactly that and it was the mechanism that was faulty. Replaced by friendly Auto Electrician for $175, and alls well. He had problems though because there was a change in the mechanism and you have to get a new bar that is bent the right way to fit the button.
OldManGhia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 16-05-2005, 06:20 PM   #21
Pete A
Boss 260

How did you go? BTW once when I changed my battery the system went haywire. All sorts of door closing problems and the alarm screwed up as well. Had to get Ford to reset the system. Which they did and it was fine from there on. I'm tending to agree it's the battery but beware I had this problem AFTER I changed the battery as well
Pete A is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post