Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 26-10-2011, 09:29 AM   #1
Aliceford
Starter Motor

Default Mondeo XR5 Turbo or XR6?

Hi all this is my 2nd post on here so go easy,

Im absolutley torn and can't decide between the 2 following Fords

2008 - XR5 Turbo Mondeo - 60,000kms - $19,000
2010 - XR6 Falcon - 24,000kms - $21,900

I like both cars very much and $22,000 is my upper budget other wise Id be inclined to look for an FG XR6 Turbo.

The wife has signed off on both and says its up me now. We've got one small child and probably one more to come sometime in the near future.

The falcon seems to represent great value at that price and Ill still have the balance of the new car warranty, and its only a year old! but the XR5 seems like a more involved drive and "feels" sportier. Given that I live in central Australia some most of the drives we do are around town but when we do go for a long drive it is a VERY long drive and the XR6 seems perfect for this,

Any XR5 Turbo owners who can give me an idea of ownership would be very much appreciated (real life fuel econonmy, problems etc)

Thanks

Aliceford is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-10-2011, 10:55 PM   #2
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: Mondeo XR5 Turbo or XR6?

XR6, simply because it's better value.
Old 26-10-2011, 11:38 PM   #3
ian b

At this time last year I was tossing up between the XR6 Turbo 50th anniversary or one of the last MB XR5T's I already had an MA.

I went for the XR5 as overall it felt a better drive, although the 6 was a good price at the time.

I have recently driven XR6 hire cars, and still think I made the right choice.

Only down side for you would be the lack of warranty on the XR5, paricularly if an MA as some, myself included with my first MA, had problems with the Body Control Module which took some time to resolve.

On balance I would go with the XR6 if making the choice you have in front of you.

Have you tried for an early MB XR5 for the $22k budget? More toys than the MA.

I get fuel economy of around 9l/100km on the highway, rising to 10.5 for town driving.
Old 27-10-2011, 12:27 AM   #4
mondo_broady
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

chalk and cheese really. THE xr6 can't compete with the mondy for build quality or driving experience. mondy is a great long range cruiser with enough power to satisfy...

not sure i'd agree with the "better value" comment above??

New ride: 2010 LV Focus XR5 - Moondust Silver - More mods than you can poke a stick at
mondo_broady is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 27-10-2011, 10:59 AM   #5
NZ XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by mondo_broady
chalk and cheese really. THE xr6 can't compete with the mondy for build quality or driving experience. mondy is a great long range cruiser with enough power to satisfy...

not sure i'd agree with the "better value" comment above??
Because the XR6 is one year old and has lower kms for similar money. I still really like the FG XR6, even though it may not handle quite as well as the Mondeo.

Also, having now owned a 07 build MA and a MB, I would definitely recommend a MB. The early MAs especially were a bit of a work in progress.
Old 27-10-2011, 05:27 PM   #6
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Given that I live in central Australia

and for that reason alone, I would recommend the XR6 over the Mondeo.
My experiences with local dealer techies have not been positive or reassuring - lack of product knowledge.
Any 'bush' mechanic has seen one before and can fix the Falcon.

With 1 little child arrived and more coming, seat covers are a must to protect that nice XR5 Alcantara from messes. We used an old single blanket in our velour-lined Telstar TX5. Also, beware sharp edges on baby seats on seat materials.

Depreciation aside (which may be irrelevant if intending to keep 7-10yrs - See Wheels magazine for rates), I reckon the XR5 Mondeo is a better car, with the MB being nicer than the MA. Hard to shed the taxi image of the Falcon. I sat in the XR6 before buying XR5- test drive unnecessary for XR6.

Economy wise, how does CBR-MEL dockside 657km with only people stops needed, with 140km range left in tank sound? I've seen ranges up to 900km, with 750-800 regularly on trips, and 650-750 around town (depends on stop/start). Mine is averaging 8.8lt/100km after 26000kms (was 8.6lt/100kms after 3000km Tas trip earlier this year).

....and I own a MB XR5. Pity they don't make them any more.
Just ,my city-slicker opinion......in style , heh?
allanv6gt is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 24-01-2012, 12:06 PM   #7
vunny
Starter Motor

I too had the same dilemma. 2010 XR6 or 2009 MB XR5.
We got the XR5 and haven't looked back. We have one toddler and the XR5 just carries a ton of stuff. It devours distance with ease and handles sweet. Plus ii my eyes it looks great decked out in that hot bodykit. XR6 looks a little too generic still for me.

I would whole heartedly recommend the XR5.
vunny is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2012, 08:34 PM   #8
Aliceford
Starter Motor

After many months and a few sales that fell through, I finally bought 2008 Panther Black, XR5 Turbo Mondeo.

It is an absolute Gem, I love it and so does the family. Already taken it the 900km Round trip to Ayers Rock and back and it was Superb in all areas.

Great Car.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:39 PM   #9
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Well done, but whatever you do dont mod it. These cars love being modded
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2012, 08:40 PM   #10
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

I think you made the right choice Aliceford. While the XR6 are a great car in their own right, they are very common on the road, the resale of them suck badly if you intend to trade later on, and I agree the build quality isn't quite as good as the mondy.

I tend to notice the Mondy's more than Falcons on the road because I like their styling and presence.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2012, 09:05 PM   #11
whitetdci

Bit late on the thread but for the driving you are doing I am wondering why you didn't have a look at a diesel. With a few simple mods my one is now down sub 5L/100K on the open road and would have to rate as the best tourer I have had. Equipment I think is on par with the XR5 and when you are sitting on the highway I reckon the only difference you would note would be the speed the fuel gauge is going down and how much weight is (or isn't lol) in your rear pocket. Nice buy regardless. Noone mention FWD v RWD either or for that matter towing.
whitetdci is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-10-2012, 10:23 PM   #12
Aliceford
Starter Motor

Yep, Thought about a Tdci. Took one out for a drive. Great kit level, superb economy, easy on the eye and you get real bang for your buck second hand.

But, Test drove many XR5's including Focus (just for fun) and just find the feel behind the wheel and usability of power great. I tend to do very very few KM's too. I ride my bike most places (Alice Isn't very Big) but when we do hit the road its for a long drive and TDCI or ZETEC, or XR5 are all great cars for Touring Duties. So fuel economy wasn't really a great concern to me in the end.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:08 PM   #13
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Aliceford...welcome aboard.

I've now done 41000kms in my MB XR5, and averaging (still) 8.8 lt/100km over that entire distance. It's a super (too) quiet cruiser that just eats up the kilometres, and has enough poke when you want it via that Turbo flat torque 'curve'...even in 6th.

And there is something olde-worlde about changing your own gears that excites the red-blood cells.

Congrats......
Old 09-10-2012, 11:36 PM   #14
zilo
BANNED

Which is safer for a family in a collision?
zilo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-10-2012, 11:36 PM   #15
ope126
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanv6gt
Aliceford...welcome aboard.

I've now done 41000kms in my MB XR5, and averaging (still) 8.8 lt/100km over that entire distance. It's a super (too) quiet cruiser that just eats up the kilometres, and has enough poke when you want it via that Turbo flat torque 'curve'...even in 6th.

And there is something olde-worlde about changing your own gears that excites the red-blood cells.

Congrats......
True about Manual...

Funny that no one picked that up as a valid reason / difference between both vehicles. XR5 manual only...
Old 12-10-2012, 08:16 PM   #16
allanv6gt
Tippy-tronic Free Zone

Safety - You'll probably find they are both 5-star rated.
The XR5 has 2 front and 2 side airbags. I would expect the Falcon to be the same (but don't know). Check out Redbook specs.

OPE126 - When I shopped for the XR5, upgrading from a 2003 Outback GX dual range manual, the new car *had* to be a manual - whatever the brand. Hence the test drive of a diesel manual Mazda6 hatch (no petrols avail. on the day) , but not the auto only Mazda6 wagon. I test-sat the (then) current Subaru Liberty/Outback but didn't need a test drive (when compared to the oozing ambience of the XR5). The Mondeo wagon was also ruled out as it was auto only, apart from only the 2.3lt 4cyl in the lesser MB models. The only manual gearbox Mondeo was the 2.5 Turbo (oh dear, what a pity....)

And then late last year I went and bought a Classic auto convertible of brand-x, which is quite noice apart from the auto box - my very first automatic car in over 35yrs of driving across 15 different cars of my own (garage is a bit crowded sometimes !!!). But I learnt to drive a manual at age 16, and it is still my preference - old habits die hard.

Some years ago a friend bought a new Falcon BA Mk2 XR6T, but had to wait 8weeks for it to be built. Even back then, he was told manuals only accounted for 5% of all Falcon sales.

From this I surmise the full 3-pedal manual is a dying breed.
So....I'll just have to buy more old classics to feed my desires...he he he !!!
Old 12-10-2012, 09:45 PM   #17
sbutler
335 kw of goodness

Everyone is whinging about Ford aus going down the shoot. Buy the XR6 its fully Australian built, & not a import!!!!!!!!!!

2012 GTP 213 black what was I thinking? NOW FOR SALE>>
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthread.php?t=11439680
sbutler is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2012, 10:37 PM   #18
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbutler
Everyone is whinging about Ford aus going down the shoot. Buy the XR6 its fully Australian built, & not a import!!!!!!!!!!
But the thing is, in some aspects, the Mondeo is a nicer car with a better build quality and finish to it - no wonder buyers are moving away from Falcon. But that's enough on the FoA negativity - far too much of it on these forums lately.
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 12-10-2012, 10:46 PM   #19
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Shows you that a lot of people don't give a **** about if it drives its front wheels or rear, doesn't it?
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2012, 12:31 AM   #20
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Interesting thread, as two years ago I was faced with this dilemna.

The Mondeo was much more technically advanced with its keyless ingition, voice control etc and the bootspace would have been more suited to my needs than the XR6.

The XR6 wins with its digital speedo and cruise control which now having it, I couldnt do without it anymore.

After much deliberation and that the XR5 at the time was running out with stocks 6 months old, so there weren't many around anymore when I was looking (I nearly bought one but the dealer stuffed me around so I walked away). The XR50 which just came out at the time appealed to me more, so ended up ordering a manual with the factory sonar etc. And I can just get by so far with the bootspace.
Silver Ghia is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2012, 09:30 AM   #21
DJM83
Barra Turbo > V8
Donating Member3

Quote:
I'm not whinging, why buy something your not gonna be happy with. I went to buy and XR6T and instead purchased a Focus. To this day not one regret. If I were faced with the same decision as the OP I'd go the mondeo but that's just me.
- Twin 2.5" Stainless Exhaust
- Antz Turboside Intake
- CCForged Phatlux wheels
DJM83 is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2012, 11:10 AM   #22
JimStone

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJM83
I'm not whinging, why buy something your not gonna be happy with. I went to buy and XR6T and instead purchased a Focus. To this day not one regret. If I were faced with the same decision as the OP I'd go the mondeo but that's just me.
Agreed - when I decided to replace the Tickford optioned AU 1.5 Fairmont Ghia earlier this year I reallllllllly wanted to buy a new FG2 XR6T, but at 6'4" tall with proportionate build I had to practically dislocate my left knee to get behind the wheel - even with seat all the way back, lowered and steering wheel at max height. No such issues with the Mondeo, so I bought an new MC Mondeo Zetec Ecoboost and have not regretted the decision one iota.
JimStone is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2012, 11:21 AM   #23
galaxy xr8
Giddy up.

Different strokes for different folk's, but there is no denying that when people are forking out for their hard earned they do do their homework and thus far the import's are measuring up very well.

If Ford want to maintain and increase number's in certain areas of their productivity then they need to compete with not only other manufacturers but other product's they themselves sell.

I know I have researched the Falcon against a Mondeo and even a Territory, I still am researching but out of all three, to me the Mondeo represent's the best vlaue for money.
galaxy xr8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 13-10-2012, 11:24 PM   #24
gh172

The XR6T would go like stink even with just an exhaust and tune, that's why I'd be tempted to pick it. I'm sure it would suffer at the fuel pump though!
Old 17-10-2012, 01:23 AM   #25
mik
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Damo
Shows you that a lot of people don't give a **** about if it drives its front wheels or rear, doesn't it?
Some own cars and still don`t know which wheels drive them lol.
mik is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post