Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 28-12-2008, 07:39 PM   #1
99_FGT
Starter Motor

Question Centre console bin removal??

Hey everyone.
Complete newbie to fordforums, having not owned a ford for about 5 years (previous was an AU ute - only half as ugly as the sedan!).
Been trawling through the Mondeo forums, some good info here (we will be asking at service about the AC gas level - ours is not at all cold either), and because it is a fleet car (my fiancee's, not mine) we don't get the option of running 95, although I would much prefer it. Suggest the comment about the fleet market was right on the $$.
Anyways, to my question. So, on our (ok, her) 2008 LX sedan, they don't deem it necessary to have a phone kit installed. I have a Nokia CK-7w that was in our SP23, but I took it out to sell the car (anyone??).
I can do a stealth install under the drivers seat, but want to know how the f@(# do i get the centre console bin out to do this?
My thought was to use the 12V rear power socket (it doesn't need permanent power - acc is fine) and wire into the back of that, and install the unit and speaker under the seat. The mic lead can then be run under the door seal to the top of the A-pillar.
So if anyone has any tips on removing the centre console bin, or the back part where the auxiliary 12V socket is, they would be greatly appreciated.
If it is there, and I have missed it in my searches, I apologise.
Thanks from the newbie,
Al.. aka 99_FGT

99_FGT is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 29-12-2008, 11:06 AM   #2
Shiner
Starter Motor

Not a great deal of help with regards the removal, but from my experiences, the 12v rear power socket is permanently live (we have a fridge plugged into ours).

I'm sure I read a thread about someone's centre console being loose so maybe they can come up with the required info/help....

Wifey want's to know how many times someone is going to ask her if she knows she has pulled up at the diesel pump?
Shiner is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-12-2008, 08:39 PM   #3
99_FGT
Starter Motor

Thanks Shiner.
I noted that LRSedan has had his out, I might pm him for a bit more info, as mine just doesn't want to budge, and I don't want to break anything (I'd get shot).
If anyone is able to help, much appreciated!
Al..
Old 30-12-2008, 11:46 PM   #4
apstar
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99_FGT
Thanks Shiner.
I noted that LRSedan has had his out, I might pm him for a bit more info, as mine just doesn't want to budge, and I don't want to break anything (I'd get shot).
If anyone is able to help, much appreciated!
Al..
http://www.fordforums.com.au/showthr...1232652&page=1

apstar
apstar is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2008, 11:54 AM   #5
safe50
Starter Motor

Hi there Al.
I am new to this sort of forum having just got a TDCI in Thunder, Love the car.
I have fitted a BT Mirror and a Navman to the car and connected them to the rear 12v outlet. The power stays on for 30 minutes then turns off and as soon as the car is unlocked or a door is opened the power comes back on. Its OK but I did fit an inline switch as well.
Did I mention that I love the car and so does the missus, it was the heated seats and all the safety bits that sold her. I traded a BA Fairmont and I reckon it is better.

Talk to you soon.
Steve.
Diesel in Thunder,
Paint protection, interior protection and window tint done by dealer; great investment,
Leather seats,
Personised number plates: SAFE
Next thing is a tow pack.
safe50 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 31-12-2008, 12:47 PM   #6
99_FGT
Starter Motor

Did you just plug them into the rear socket? If not, how tf do you get at it?
I am considering doing that with a cut down plug (that will not protrude from the socket so it doesn't get knocked out) unless someone can help me (or just to get it installed initially - will worry about the muting and hardwiring later).
If
Where can I get a quadlock connector from? Ebay?
Thanks,
Al..
Old 31-12-2008, 01:29 PM   #7
safe50
Starter Motor

Hi Al.
What I did was joined 2 wires to the lighter plugs. 1 from the centre terminal (positive)of both lighter plugs and I from the outside terminal. I then removed the rear socket from the centre console and connected the positive red wire to the back of the socket and ran it under the console to up under the dash. The black negative wire from the lighter plugs to a screw under the dash that is a negative or earth.
Hope this helps.
Old 31-12-2008, 06:44 PM   #8
99_FGT
Starter Motor

I think I follow that - I'm looking to hardwire - looks like that is what you have done - albeit hardwiring (piggybacking) onto the lighter plugs.
But how do I remove the rear lighter socket?? Does it pull straight out? Doesn't seem to!
Al..
Old 01-01-2009, 09:03 AM   #9
safe50
Starter Motor

YOU PULL OFF THE END PIECE OF THE CONSOLE AND BEHIND THAT ARE 2 SCREWS WHICH RELEASE ANOTHER PIECE THAT HOLDS THE SOCKET.
Steve
Old 02-01-2009, 10:09 AM   #10
99_FGT
Starter Motor

FINALLY.
Got the kit installed. There is a single screw in the back of the ash tray pocket - remove the rear ash tray and said screw and then the rear panel with the power socket in it can be pulled straight off.
Haven't installed the hardwired lead at this stage as I haven't worked out where it will go (or just buy a new bluetooth phone!) but the mic and button is in (button near the light switch - a little bit agricultural but hey...)
Al..