Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 21-05-2012, 12:37 PM   #1
ADunn
Starter Motor

Default The short life of disc brakes...

My MB Wagon has just gone in for it's 2nd annual service, it has just under 25,000kms under it's belt. My Ford dealer has just told me that my rear disc pads are down to 10% and the discs themselves are badly scored and need replacing. The cost will be in the order of $1,000. When I asked is this unusual I was told they normally only last 20,000 to 30,000kms on the rear and 30,000 to 40,000 on the front and that the discs on all their european cars (and all european cars as far as they know) are soft and not machinable. Suddenly, after 10 years of owning a camry wagon which I used to get the wobbles when a service cost $600, it seems I can look forward to many more of these horribly expensive services? Should I be getting the pads checked more frequently in an attempt to change them before the discs get damaged? Are there alternative discs I can get to reduce the problem and get longer life? If so, I dare say I would have to take my car elsewhere to get them...

ADunn is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2012, 03:13 PM   #2
AlanD
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Default Re: The short life of disc brakes...

Hi,

One of the things that has annoyed me with our dealership (and probably the only thing) is their tendency to exagerate wear on consumable components such as tyres, brake pads and rotors. In one case they claimed that a set of new tyres (less than 500 km) were 30% worn, currently they have half the tread depth left with 30,000 km on them. Brake pad wear similarly. I don't find this a problem as I can judge the actual wear myself and make decisions accordingly.

On our MA Mondeo Sedan which has covered 38,000 km I estimate that the wear on brake pads is about 50% front and slightly less at the rear. You can see the pad depth on the backing plate without taking the wheel off on our car. You can also see the rotor face and judge whether or not it is "badly scored". I can measure the rotor thickness with a vernier caplier wthout wheel removal too and, again, on our car there is some wear, but insufficient to require replacement at this time.

The brake pad material has a chamfer on the leading/trailing edge, and I would say that if any part of this is visible then you have sufficient pad material for a little while longer. Based on the wear on our car I estimate at least 50,000 km before a pad change is required and probably 100,000 before the rotors will need to be replaced, but we live in regional Victoria and neither my wife nor I use the brakes vigorously - being a diesel engined car we find that engine braking does most of the work.

If it turns out you do need pads and rotors many members here have sourced them from the UK and they turn out much less expensive than they are from a dealership. To get an idea about the cost of Brake pads go here http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Genuine-F...item4159989bee . You can also search for other items - remember that in the UK the MA, MB, MC series cars are all Mk 4 vehicles . A search for Mondeo Mk4 Brake pads shows a lot of options. One of the vendors in the UK will provide a full set of four rotors and pads for about $330.00 delivered, see here http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/FORD-MOND...item1e6beb968a.

Once you have the parts, it's a pretty trivial job to fit them, providing you have some degree of mechanical expertise. The main thing to watch out for is to avoid the brake Master Cylinder overflowing brake fluid as you push the pistons back into the caliper cylinder.

Good luck

Our Drive: Mondeo
MD TDCi Titanium Wagon
Ruby Red

AlanD is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 21-05-2012, 04:06 PM   #3
Riksta
Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Great post AlanD.

My front rotors look a fair bit scored, 20,000 odd k's on the clock. Must have got some crap stuck somewhere and gouged them a bit, damn roadworks creating dirt roads near my place. My only concern with the DIY replacement would be if there was to be something wrong down the track would it be grounds to have Ford Australia deny or void a warranty claim?
Originally Posted by Nikked
Riksta likes VN's so much, he has the ashes of a VN in a jar on the mantle piece, a vile of VN engine oil hanging from his neck and a BT1 build plate locked up in a safe, buried under 6ft of concrete.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Day-mow
pretty much what has happened here is i trolled you. and it was fun.
Riksta is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2012, 01:14 PM   #4
blueoval
Critical Thinker

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Well thought out and constructive posts.  A real credit to this forum. 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riksta
Great post AlanD.

My front rotors look a fair bit scored, 20,000 odd k's on the clock. Must have got some crap stuck somewhere and gouged them a bit, damn roadworks creating dirt roads near my place. My only concern with the DIY replacement would be if there was to be something wrong down the track would it be grounds to have Ford Australia deny or void a warranty claim?
As far as I was aware, I thought a qualified mechanic who is MTA approved can do warranty work on your car and not necessarily use OEM factory materials to do it without voiding warranty as long as he stamps your book.

Correct me if Im wrong.

2022 Mazda CX5 GTSP Turbo

2018 Hyundai Santa Fe Highlander

1967 XR FALCON 500

Cars previously owned:
2021 Subaru Outback Sport
2018 Subaru XV-S
2012 Subaru Forester X
2007 Subaru Liberty GT
2001 AU2 75th Anniversary Futura
2001 Subaru GX wagon
1991 EB XR8
1977 XC Fairmont
1990 EA S Pak
1984 XE S Pak
1982 ZJ Fairlane
1983 XE Fairmont
1989 EA Falcon
1984 Datsun Bluebird Wagon
1975 Honda Civic
blueoval is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2012, 01:56 PM   #5
Dusty1
Giddy up!

In my MA I got the rears replaced for $150 from an independent brake shop. I asked about the front, and he said they were fine. This was after the dealer telling me they were bad and both in need of replacement. This would have been at the 45 or 50k service (around that time).

I sold it to my brother at 65k and they have since done about another 15k, and they are still on the same set of fronts.

Just my $0.02.
Previous:
Oct 07 built Mondeo TDCi hatch, Stardust Silver, bluetooth, leather, tow pack, sunroof.
Dusty1 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 25-05-2012, 08:47 PM   #6
Papug

Just replaced rear pads and rotors $400 with labour, brand RDA.
Car has 118.000 km. Look for the local RDA distributor.
OEM from Ford UK (front and rear sets) $567, including shipping.

Cheers Greg
Papug is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2012, 12:36 PM   #7
DRU842
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Had the pads down at 60,000kn service on the XR5 and still on original discs at 100,00km. It's true the European pads & discs wear faster. The price for better performance & higher metallics as an asbestos replacement in the pads.
2017 Mustang Lightening Blue, Cobb Intercooler, CAI, AccessPort, Turbo Blanket & V2 Exhaust, Mishimoto Down-Pipe & Overflow Tank, GFB DV+, Custom CRD Tune. Ford Performance Short Throw Shifter & Strut Brace. DBA T3 Brakes & Pads. Braided Brake Lines. H&R Coilovers. Anderson CF Track Pack Spoiler & Tailgate Panel. Blue CF/Leather Steering Wheel.
DRU842 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 26-05-2012, 12:43 PM   #8
XtRmn8
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Papug
Just replaced rear pads and rotors $400 with labour, brand RDA.
Car has 118.000 km. Look for the local RDA distributor.
OEM from Ford UK (front and rear sets) $567, including shipping.

Cheers Greg
+1

On our MA the rear brakes I had done at 75000kms. New RDA pads and machine rotors. Cost me $50 for pads and $200 for machine and fit of new rotors.

Fronts lasted to about 110000kms. Bought new rotors and pads from an RDA distributor for about $250 from memory and fitted them myself. You could source the parts and take it to any local mechanic to fit, they take about 1hr to fit up.
XtRmn8 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 27-05-2012, 09:30 PM   #9
Lord Viykor
XR5 convert

I got my rears replaced at 105k and the fronts a little while later.

I replaced pads and rotors with EBC ones from the UK, they are great compared to the OEM ones.
The mods: Window tint | Fomoco alloy pedals | Red painted brake calipers | THB Bury bluetooth | Bluefin | GGR CAI | Bilstein B6 sports dampers | Eilbach lowered coils | 2XS Inhaler (Top Induction Pipe) | EBC Ultimax discs and EBC red stuff brake pads | Mongoose 3" dump with Mongoose 3" 200 cell cat into custom system with Varex mufflers | Forge re-circ valve | Airtech intercooler coming soon
Lord Viykor is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 04-06-2012, 02:43 PM   #10
fonfe
RS shop's technician

Before I moved to Australia to work for the RS shop I worked in a uk ford main dealer. I can tell you now that ALL European ford models run brake discs that can be machined by use of a brake disc lathe. Which is very usefull if your discs have also warped as a disc brake lathe will machine them straight again as the discs are not removed from the car but stay on the hub and the lathe is fitted to the vehicle. Your dealer has told you that they can not be for one of 3 reasons:
-They are just trying to sell you some brand new discs so they make more money.
-They do not have a brake disc lathe in house and are not willing to subcontract the work out.
-the discs have worn too close to the minimum thickness to be machined.

Because they have straight out told you that the discs can not be machined it will be because of either one of the first 2 reasons which is quite a dishonest thing for them to have done.
OEM discs and pads are indeed softer than aftermarket "sports" replacements but this is due to them being quieter under braking. I have fitted ebc parts to many hot hatch vehicles that do the occasional track day and they perform very well but are slightly louder than the OEM brakes.
If you are after ebc, any other aftermarket or OEM parts do give me a call at the RS shop and I will be happy to quote you for a set delivered to your door or if you are local I would be happy to fit them for you at a much lesser labour rate than your ford dealership (I do also have the ford dealer diagnostic software in house too so I can cover anything if not more than the dealers here)

One thing to also remember concerning the rate of wear for your brakes is that if your vehicle is an auto this will be far quicker than if you had a manual due to more braking effort in urban driving.

As far as warranty is concerned fitting non genuine parts will VOID warranty on that particular area of the vehicle.

Last edited by fonfe; 04-06-2012 at 03:05 PM.
fonfe is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post