Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Mondeo

Old 01-03-2015, 10:33 PM   #1
adelaidevillan
Starter Motor

Default what to do? help

hi all i am thinking of getting a mondeo wagon as my wife is pregnant. i think it will have to be 2010 as ive only got 15k to spend. now what to go for petrol or diesel i have had huge problems b4 with an 2002 xr6 turbo total lemon trans blowing twice and sensors going all the time and in the end the turbo was about to go. so got rid of that and said ill never touch a turbo again. so im really scared about a used turbo i really like the idea of a diesel with the kms u get out of a tank and cheap to run i only do 250km-300km a week and maybe this is not enough for a diesel had my uncle tell me the diesel turbos are better than petrol and was unlucky i bought a thrashed out car before. what are peoples thoughts would i just go by my gut and get the petrol or is the diesel turbos alot better than the petrol turbos and go for the turbo diesel? just to add power isnt really a concern to me as right now i drive a mazda 2 so even the petrol mondeo will have more than enough power for us. thanks in advance
adelaidevillan is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2015, 08:43 AM   #2
russellw
Chairman & Administrator
Donating Member3

Community Builder: In recognition of those who have helped build the AFF community. - Issue reason: Raptor: For Continued, and prolonged service to the wider Ford Community 
Default Re: what to do? help

You'll pay more for the diesel and they cost more to service.

Cheers
Russ

Observatio Facta Rotae

russellw is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 02-03-2015, 12:53 PM   #3
adelaidevillan
Starter Motor

Thats another thing servicing costs more. Petrol mondeo might be the way to go then.
Old 02-03-2015, 01:46 PM   #4
Binny

Can you even get the wagon in petrol?
For that budget you Will have trouble finding a Diesel wagon with decent Kms. The lift back has a huge boot though so worth checking out.
If you are worried about long term reliability a BF wagon could be a better option.Cheaper too. Thirstier and less safety equipment though. Depends what your priorities are.
Old 03-03-2015, 12:26 AM   #5
adelaidevillan
Starter Motor

Yeah u can get a wagon in petrol u can get 2010 under 100,000 for around 15 to 17,000ish. The bf isnt really an option dont want to be spending to much on fuel
Old 03-03-2015, 12:28 AM   #6
adelaidevillan
Starter Motor

I have found between the two diesel isnt really alotmore expensive in price like i was thinking. Just the turbo concerns me
Old 03-03-2015, 06:23 PM   #7
DFB FGXR6
Donating Member
Donating Member3

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: For the excellent car-care guide 

I normally would say get the petrol (I'm not a diesel fan) but the 2.3 petrol is an absolute nail and the Mondeo Wagon is no lightweight. In this case, hold out for a diesel. Its no firecracker either but has much more torque and is better suited to the load hauling a wagon would offer.
Mustang GT

T3 TS50 - gone but not forgotten
DFB FGXR6 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
This user likes this post:
Old 03-03-2015, 10:23 PM   #8
Binny

yeah wasn't trying to discourage you from the Mondeo. I love mine and wouldn't go back to the BA wagon we used to have. But you seem nervous about reliability and a Mondeo with high k's has a higher chance of needing expensive repairs. Falcs are much simpler and parts are cheaper.
Anyways if you look through this Mondeo forum you will see what the common issues are. I have never seen an issue with the turbo itself or with the diesel engine really, more to do with the transmission. Having said that the powershift has had a few isolated issues but nothing systemic like with the dry clutch powershift in the focus/fiesta.
As fuel economy is important to you I commute 75km return across Brisbane each day. Half is freeway cruising and the other half is usually traffic jams. My Mondeo has averaged 6.1L/100km over the last 6 months. On the same commute our BA was between 12 and 13. I tried my wifes Honda CRV for a while and it wasn't much better, 11-12.
I love the diesel. Towed a 8x5 cage trailer full of garbage to the tip. It towed the trailer with ease. At the tip the weighbridge showed 2500kg all up. Its astonishing how easily that 2L engine can move 2.5T.
Old 08-03-2015, 09:13 AM   #9
VF69HARDTOP
Starter Motor

I just bought a late 2009 MB ZECTEC diesel hatch yesterday and love it. I didn't even give the petrol version a thought. I just sold a 2002 Nissan Stagea station wagon with 2.5ltr turbo V6, 210kw and 410nm and used less petrol around the city than a Mondeo petrol slug.

I picked up the Zectec from the country, so drove it back and goes very nicely on the highway, very surprised by the overtaking power and gave 6ltr per 100km in return.

Only issue I have with it is, there is a little knock in the rear left but after some research it could be the hand brake cables, so Ill check that today.

Go the diesel as the petrol uses too much fuel for the returned performance and lack of torque.

Im ordering a tow bar kit today so I can fit it up and take advantage of the diesel torque.

Cheers
VF69HARDTOP is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post