Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 30-03-2015, 10:12 AM   #1
excalibur1491

Question Strange beeping when turning the car on?

Hi,

I tested a Ford Fiesta Zetec (Mk6) the other day and I made my deposit to buy it (finally!) so hopefully I'll have it soon.
Anyway, last time when I tested it, the car made a weird sound when I putted the key in position II. There were like 5 beeps (1 each second or so, not too fast, not too slow) while all warning lights were on, then the lights turned off correctly and the beeping started. Only the engine light remained until I turned off the engine.
I asked the dealership guy what was that beeping, he obviously said it was normal... but you never know...
Any one knows? I've pretty much read the entire manual online (hard to find!) and can't find the info I'm looking for.

Btw, the car is manual, was in neutral, seat belt fastened, parking brake on.

Thank you a lot guys!
excalibur1491 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2015, 07:22 PM   #2
dirty hands
Over Thinker

Default Re: Strange beeping when turning the car on?

did the beeping stop after you started the engine
engine light stayed off

on other cars its saying the key is in the ignition
Old 30-03-2015, 10:33 PM   #3
excalibur1491

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty hands View Post
did the beeping stop after you started the engine
engine light stayed off

on other cars its saying the key is in the ignition
Hi, thanks for your reply.
It stopped after 5 beeps. When I started the engine before the end of the 5 beeps, it stoped right away (that is, after 1,2,3 or 4 beeps, whenever I turned the engine on)

All the lights turned on at the beginning, then all turned off except engine when I was in position II, then I turned to position III and the engine started and engine light went off.

What surprises me is that it stoped after a certain time. If it was the seat belt, it would be there until I fasten it, no? So you think it could be just that th key is in the ignition?

Thanks
Old 30-03-2015, 10:35 PM   #4
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

I'm pretty sure my partner's Fiesta will beep at you if you have the ignition on and the front seat passenger hasn't fastened their seat belt. My Focus just complains about the driver...not sure how the Fiesta knows about the passenger though.
Ratmick is online now   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 30-03-2015, 10:41 PM   #5
excalibur1491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratmick View Post
I'm pretty sure my partner's Fiesta will beep at you if you have the ignition on and the front seat passenger hasn't fastened their seat belt. My Focus just complains about the driver...not sure how the Fiesta knows about the passenger though.
Ok, great thanks. Yeah, it could totally be that. I am just surprised it reminds you even if you are not moving at all.

I guess I am a bit paranoic because Im buying it from a dealership and you know, I always get the feeling that they try to make me buy it, whereas with a private seller you don get that feeling so much... but then again the dealers have more "warranties"...
I do like the car an I've tested it, looked at everything (engine, suspension, brakes, seats, lights,...) I just don't trust the guys selling it. Even if it has the RWC.
Old 30-03-2015, 10:45 PM   #6
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

The only other thing I could think of that would beep would be parking sensors and you're within a few feet of something behind.

Just re-read your post, my missus' Fiesta will beep at you until you go mad or put your belt on...not just five beeps.
Old 30-03-2015, 10:47 PM   #7
excalibur1491

Quote:
The only other thing I could think of that would beep would be parking sensors and you're within a few feet of something behind.
I thought the same, because I wasnt too far from a pole, but then I tried to see if the car actually has sensors and I haven't been able to find that. I imagine the Ghia does because its the highest version, but the Zetec? from 2006? I would be happily surprised lol
Old 30-03-2015, 10:56 PM   #8
excalibur1491

Quote:

Just re-read your post, my missus' Fiesta will beep at you until you go mad or put your belt on...not just five beeps.
What year and type is her Fiesta, if you don't mind me asking?
Has it been good so far? No funny things braking down?

Thanks!!
Old 30-03-2015, 11:46 PM   #9
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

She has a later model, WT TDCi sedan...2011 I think.

No major issues except for paint flaking off the bumpers, and today the thermo fan stuck on. It's done this before, seems to be a dodgy relay.
Old 02-04-2015, 02:43 PM   #10
excalibur1491

Turns out it was the seatbelt thing. If you don't move the car it stops after a little bit (those 5 seconds). Just bought it, quite happy

Only thing: I have no idea how to turn off the radio lol.

Thanks!
This user likes this post:
Old 02-04-2015, 06:04 PM   #11
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

Ours doesn't turn on until you get to about 20km/h in 2nd gear, but at least you know it's not serious

It's not a press of the volume knob?
Old 02-04-2015, 06:04 PM   #12
Ratmick
IT Drone from Sector 7G
Donating Member2

That's probably one for the owner's manual
Old 03-04-2015, 09:55 AM   #13
excalibur1491

Quote:
Ours doesn't turn on until you get to about 20km/h in 2nd gear, but at least you know it's not serious

It's not a press of the volume knob?
It was indeed. I read the manual bc I also didn't know how to turn on the fog lamps etc.. lol
Thanks!