Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > Ford Australia Vehicles > Small and Mid Sized Cars > Fiesta, Festiva and Ka

Old 03-04-2015, 10:01 AM   #1
excalibur1491

Default Spring noise in the clutch?

Hi,

as I mentioned earlier in another thread, I just bought a Ford Fiesta Zetec 2006.
I have to get it serviced at Ford on tuesday because its on the books, it was due two months ago (its the 105000km service, it only has 96000, but the previous service was more than a year ago). I'm not unhappy about that, I prefer getting it checked by Mr.Ford while on warranty.

Nevertheless, this morning I drove it a little bit to get used to it and I heard a spring noise in the clutch when I lift my foot, everytime. Its very annoying not because of the noise, but because I feel the car is crying lol.
The car I was driving just before was a 2011 toyota corolla, so I assume all was nicer and smoother because of the age... The Fiesta feels like a wild animal still to get domesticated under my feet lol

Is this something I should be concerned about? I was planning in doing around 300km this weekend (and obviously Ford is closed for Easter). Do you think I should reconsider my little trip?

Thanks.
excalibur1491 is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2015, 10:28 AM   #2
dirty hands
Over Thinker

Default Re: Spring noise in the clutch?

are you talking about the spring return in the pedal box
for now you could spray some wd 40 up in that area

keep moving the pedal as you spray..see if the squeek goes away
an oil based spray would be better like a graphite or light chain oil

i my self use olive oil cooking spray ,,thats a vegetable oil
Old 03-04-2015, 10:38 AM   #3
excalibur1491

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirty hands View Post
are you talking about the spring return in the pedal box
for now you could spray some wd 40 up in that area

keep moving the pedal as you spray..see if the squeek goes away
an oil based spray would be better like a graphite or light chain oil

i my self use olive oil cooking spray ,,thats a vegetable oil
wo, cool, I'll spray my Virgin Extra Olive oil "Carbonell" all over it lol. (joking )
I think I'd rather leave it for the mechanic to do it on tuesday when I go get it serviced, unless you think its urgent!
I just want to have some peace of mind and don't be scared that getting out of the highway this weekend I wont be able to go to 3rd gear and die in an exit.

Thanks man! You are always helpful
Old 03-04-2015, 11:42 AM   #4
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Probably nothing too serious, it could also be that the slave cylinder has been wet and the push rod is squeaking in the rubber boot. have you been through any water or really heavy rain recently ? As dirty hands said WD40 or some oil should sort it out
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 03-04-2015, 11:57 AM   #5
excalibur1491

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Probably nothing too serious, it could also be that the slave cylinder has been wet and the push rod is squeaking in the rubber boot. have you been through any water or really heavy rain recently ? As dirty hands said WD40 or some oil should sort it out
Hi, no rain nor water no.
I saw on a ford forum UK that its fairly common. I guess I freak out on everything since I just bought the car second hand...
I was just driving a car in very good conditions before (in my driving lessons) where all was smooth and new. The fiesta is great, its just the gear box is not that smooth, the steering either, the clutch squeaks...

By the way, in order to save some fuel, I try to drive in high gears most of the time. Is it ok to drive at 30km/h in 4th and 40km/h in 5th gear? I dont want to harm the car!

Thank you!

PD: great community here!
Old 06-04-2015, 06:15 PM   #6
dirty hands
Over Thinker

oye where is the loyalty huh ..you were over at the UK ford forum..sheesh

Interesting style of driving a manual
what results did you have from previous cars .
did it save much fuel
any gearbox/clutch /drive shaft issues
Old 08-04-2015, 07:04 PM   #7
kevino
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by excalibur1491 View Post
I saw on a ford forum UK that its fairly common. I guess I freak out on everything since I just bought the car second hand...
I was just driving a car in very good conditions before (in my driving lessons) where all was smooth and new. The fiesta is great, its just the gear box is not that smooth, the steering either, the clutch squeaks...

By the way, in order to save some fuel, I try to drive in high gears most of the time. Is it ok to drive at 30km/h in 4th and 40km/h in 5th gear? I dont want to harm the car!

Thank you!

NO dont drive at such low speeds in those gears!

Change gear around 2500 rpm in each gear to save fuel, this engine develops its torque at higher rpm not low rpm and what you are doing is lugging the engine which is putting stress on all the cars mechanical parts.

I had one of these and i would be in 4th at 60km/he to control the car and drop it into 5 at maybe 70 but as I say see what speed 2500rpm is in each gear.

The fuel economy on these is improved by running 95 petrol not 91 and not using the airconditioner.

Hope this helps!
kevino is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2015, 07:25 PM   #8
Franco Cozzo
Thailand Specials

Quote:
Hi,

as I mentioned earlier in another thread, I just bought a Ford Fiesta Zetec 2006.
I have to get it serviced at Ford on tuesday because its on the books, it was due two months ago (its the 105000km service, it only has 96000, but the previous service was more than a year ago). I'm not unhappy about that, I prefer getting it checked by Mr.Ford while on warranty.

Nevertheless, this morning I drove it a little bit to get used to it and I heard a spring noise in the clutch when I lift my foot, everytime. Its very annoying not because of the noise, but because I feel the car is crying lol.
The car I was driving just before was a 2011 toyota corolla, so I assume all was nicer and smoother because of the age... The Fiesta feels like a wild animal still to get domesticated under my feet lol

Is this something I should be concerned about? I was planning in doing around 300km this weekend (and obviously Ford is closed for Easter). Do you think I should reconsider my little trip?

Thanks.
My WS Fiesta used to do this, its the clutch pedal return spring squeaking
Franco Cozzo is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 08-04-2015, 08:52 PM   #9
Russ
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Contributor: For members who make a contribution worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Very helpful and gracious with photoshop work to help others.. 

Quote:

Thank you!

The best way to save fuel is to make sure you drive it sensibly and don't over rev it through the gears. Making sure the engine is well maintained is also another way of ensuring you get maximum fuel economy too, regular servicing (oil and filter changes at recommended service intervals) and keep your air filter clean I agree with what Kevino said regarding the driving method. Listen carefully to your engine it will talk to you, don't treat it like a slug, you will eventually get the feel of the car and if it sounds like it's struggling then drop it back a gear and keep it there until you get the speed up a bit
Russ is offline   Reply With Quote Multi-Quote with this Post
Old 09-04-2015, 12:35 PM   #10
excalibur1491

Hi, thanks for your replies.

I will definetly follow your advice as I reaaaaally don't want to have to pay for repairs.
I just brought it to Ford in Melbourne for a service... They wanted to charge $900!!
I just did what seemed important to them, total of $400 still....

And even worse, they broke something because the engine now makes a weird noise like a valve opening and closing, so I brought it back.. They better not charge me because its their fault. I won't bring it to Ford again... Freaking expensive and not the best service this guys....

Thanks everyone ;)