Welcome to the Australian Ford Forums forum.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and inserts advertising. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features without post based advertising banners. Registration is simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Please Note: All new registrations go through a manual approval queue to keep spammers out. This is checked twice each day so there will be a delay before your registration is activated.

Go Back   Australian Ford Forums > General Topics > The Pub

The Pub For General Automotive Related Talk

Closed Thread

Old 24-09-2011, 06:27 PM   #541
g220ba
FGX XR8

Default Re: FG Falcon MKII

Below is the media release from ancap at the time the fg was originally tested. It states it achieved the result with only the dual front airbags and head/thorax airbags.

http://www.ancap.com.au/mediarelease?id=53

There was actually a bit of uproar that it was awarded 5 stars as it was previously assumed only vehicles with curtain airbags could gain the rating, however ford debunked that theory.
Old 24-09-2011, 10:31 PM   #542
Silver Ghia
Donating Member3

Technical Contributor: For members who share their technical expertise. - Issue reason: As Silver Ghia his contributions to the AU and BA technical areas have been of high quality and valuable to the member base. 

Quote from ANCAP test report, where an FG XT was tested, with the airbag configuration as tested, is underlined:

Quote:
The tested model of Ford Falcon was introduced in Australia during 2008. From January 2008 ANCAP has required Electronic Stability Control (ESC) for a 5 star occupant protection rating. This 5-star rating applies to all petrol variants, including V8s from July 2008 and to LPG-fuelled variants from 1 May 2009, when ESC became available. It includes EcoLPi variants. Dual front airbags, antilock brakes (ABS) and electronic brakeforce distribution (EBD) are standard across the range. All sedans also have head protecting side airbags as standard equipment. Vehicles have either head/thorax side airbags or thorax side bags plus inflatable side curtains. ANCAP tested a vehicle with head/thorax side airbags. Emergency Brake Assist and ESC are standard on all petrol-fuelled sedans but are not currently available for the LPG version.
I've just noticed there was also a revision to the ancap test report for the FG ute released yesterday, applicable to all FG utes fitted with head/chest-protecting side airbags, electronic stability control (ESC) and a tunnel-mounted transmission control/gear shift, including LPG and EcoLPi variants. The ute scores higher than the VE ute and the VW Amarok:
http://www.ancap.com.au/crashtestrecord?Id=422

Last edited by Silver Ghia; 24-09-2011 at 10:50 PM.
Old 24-09-2011, 11:00 PM   #543
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
I'm happy to stand corrected . If i'm wrong . still remember only 5 stars with curtain airbags . and the car was bagged by the media because it was advertised as 5 star when it wasn't in base form ( non curtain airbags) . i'm probably wrong , but thats what i remember .
It didn't need curtain airbags to get 5 stars, even the base XT with standard side airbags, not the optional curtains, got 5 stars.
Old 25-09-2011, 12:35 AM   #544
gtfpv
GT

OK GUYS . the evidence is overwhelming . i stand fully corrected . the FG WAS ANCAP 5 STAR rated without curtain airbags . cheers
Old 25-09-2011, 07:12 AM   #545
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Yes, FG may have 5 Stars, the maximum rating you can get BUT that was achieved without
curtain airbags and that rating doesn't take into account the injury score for rear seat passengers which is the big problem.

What Ford did was engineer the car to achieve enough points to get a 5 Star rating, not deliver the best safety possible.
This is the crux of the argument and why injury score ratings can sometimes give a distorted picture of the result.

Ford did with thorax air bags and 5 Star rating what Holden did with 3.0 SIDI and 9.0 litre/100 km fuel economy,
let's just be happy that Ford has corrected this safety aberration and is about to give us an engine that will blitz
the Omega on fuel economy and performance.....

Last edited by jpd80; 25-09-2011 at 07:19 AM.
Old 25-09-2011, 07:20 AM   #546
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtfpv
I'm happy to stand corrected . If i'm wrong . still remember only 5 stars with curtain airbags . and the car was bagged by the media because it was advertised as 5 star when it wasn't in base form ( non curtain airbags) . i'm probably wrong , but thats what i remember .
I remember this also though was it not the Territory?
Old 25-09-2011, 08:55 AM   #547
stevz
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpd80
Yes, FG may have 5 Stars, the maximum rating you can get BUT that was achieved without
curtain airbags and that rating doesn't take into account the injury score for rear seat passengers which is the big problem.

What Ford did was engineer the car to achieve enough points to get a 5 Star rating, not deliver the best safety possible.
This is the crux of the argument and why injury score ratings can sometimes give a distorted picture of the result.

Ford did with thorax air bags and 5 Star rating what Holden did with 3.0 SIDI and 9.0 litre/100 km fuel economy,
let's just be happy that Ford has corrected this safety aberration and is about to give us an engine that will blitz
the Omega on fuel economy and performance.....
Well said. Just because it scored 5 stars without curtain airbags in an Ancap test means diddly squat. In the real world where the vehicle can be involved in many different types of impacts, the presence of curtain airbags can be the difference between life and death.
Old 25-09-2011, 09:23 AM   #548
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

while we are speaking on body strength etc, was not the VE commodore praised for its body strength & use of high strength metals & how many stars did it have on launch?

And which has a higher body strength now, Falcon or Commodore?
Old 25-09-2011, 10:28 AM   #549
prydey
Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevz
Well said. Just because it scored 5 stars without curtain airbags in an Ancap test means diddly squat. In the real world where the vehicle can be involved in many different types of impacts, the presence of curtain airbags can be the difference between life and death.
i agree to a point, but many people are dumbed into believing having airbags will keep them alive. the new chery small car has 6 airbags. what a safe automobile!!

whilst the ancap rating may not tell the whole story, you can't just disregard it. until rear passenger safety is tested to the same extent as front passenger, its all just guesswork.

didn't the early ve also perform quite terribly for the drivers legs in a front offset collision? i'd say thats more of a concern than airbag count. hardly got a mention though.

i think what annoys many people on here, is the media seem to pick on these sort of things (without telling the full story) and then go on about it non stop and then they think that its cull credit to them that ford have now made it standard equipment and they've done the world a favour. it was a similar story with mitsi. constant negativity in the press and look what it did. not quite the same with falcon, but the constant nit picking is there nonetheless. when was the last time they wrote any articles without mentioning commodore?

speaking of commodore, not a safety issue as such, but i never read an article where commodore was critisized for not having a/c as std equipment. believe it or not, thats only become std in the last few years. i know what the articles would've said if ford didn't have std a/c!!

sorry to get off track. back to talking about FG2
Old 25-09-2011, 10:48 AM   #550
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: Thoughtful contributions to our community 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seduce XR6
while we are speaking on body strength etc, was not the VE commodore praised for its body strength & use of high strength metals & how many stars did it have on launch?

Interestingly , in 2002 when Ford strengthened the Falcon's shell for BA and increased weight,
Holden criticized the move but then did pretty much the same thing with the VE's shell in 2006......

Also, VE was launched in 2006 (that long ago!) so having 4 stars was comparable to the BF Falcon at the time.
I guess leap frogging development by both manufacturers is better than no advancement at all...

I have the feeling that BF II is basically the car Ford wanted to launch in 2008, FG 1 was delivered on a tight budget
to sneak through and had DSI not had troubles, we may well have had the DSI 6-speed auto across the board in 2008..

The FG II upgrades look great, the XT in particular looks to be a model reborn with a decent appearance and appointments,
it will be interesting to see how Ford decides to market it as XT, G6 and XR8 all seem to have similar build costs....
I wonder if we will now see the fleet sales emphasis swing back to XT and good options available for retail customers..

XR6 with access to luxury pack is a winner for the user chooser novated lease buyers, a very desirable option IMO...

Last edited by jpd80; 25-09-2011 at 11:06 AM.
Old 25-09-2011, 11:00 AM   #551
prydey
Rob

i assume you mean FG not BF?
Old 25-09-2011, 11:04 AM   #552
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
The FG II upgrades look great, the XT in particular looks to be a model reborn with a decent appearance and appointments,
it will be interesting to see how Ford decides to market it as XT, G6 and XR8 all seem to have similar build costs....
I wonder if we will now see the fleet sales emphasis swing back to XT and good options available for retail customers..

XR6 with access to luxury pack is a winner for the user chooser novated lease buyers, a very desirable option IMO...
Yes agree with all the above, XT sure is now much more interesting & attractive to buyers than it had been while the XR6 with Lux is a sure winner however those in the know may wait & see if Ford releases a limited edition as they have done often with the XR6.
Old 25-09-2011, 11:05 AM   #553
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by prydey
i assume you mean FG not BF?
Ummm, yes, I got all excited about my post...
Now changed to read FG II instead of BF II...
Old 25-09-2011, 11:09 AM   #554
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Yes agree with all the above, XT sure is now much more interesting & attractive to buyers than it had been while the XR6 with Lux is a sure winner however those in the know may wait & see if Ford releases a limited edition as they have done often with the XR6.
Are we talking XR6 + Luxury pack for $36,990 drive away?

I'm thinking three specials on a rotational basis depending on stock levels,
sharing the duties between XT, G6 and XR6 so as not to fatigue one model.....
Old 25-09-2011, 11:18 AM   #555
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Are we talking XR6 + Luxury pack for $36,990 drive away?

I'm thinking three specials on a rotational basis depending on stock levels,
sharing the duties between XT, G6 and XR6 so as not to fatigue one model.....
EXACTLY
Old 25-09-2011, 01:40 PM   #556
Joe5619
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Funny you say that, the FG falcon was just awarded the safest car based on REAL crashes in the REAL world!!
Old 25-09-2011, 02:46 PM   #557
Bossxr8
Peter Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe5619
Funny you say that, the FG falcon was just awarded the safest car based on REAL crashes in the REAL world!!
No Holden fanboi troll will agree with that.
Old 25-09-2011, 02:49 PM   #558
FPT
earth flavoured

Quote:

Quote:

Spot on.

Quote:
http://www.racq.com.au/about_us/news...safety_ratings

Aussie Falcon FG tops used car safety ratings

26 Jul 2011

New research analysing more than four million crashed cars has rated the Australian Ford Falcon FG the safest used vehicle because of the protection it offers occupants and other road users.

RACQ Executive Manager Vehicle Technologies, Steve Spalding, said the Falcon FG was one of 19 vehicles rated as Safe Picks in the 2011 Used Car Safety Ratings.

Mr Spalding said the new Safe Picks category detailed the safest second hand cars that motorists could purchase to protect themselves and also reduce the risk of injury to other motorists, pedestrians and cyclists in a crash.

“The Safe Pick category was developed to encourage motorists to think not only about their own safety but also that of other road users,” Mr Spalding said.

“It is only through this attitude shift that we will see a significant reduction in the number of injuries and deaths that occur on our roads.”

The research was undertaken by Monash University’s Accident Research Centre, which analysed records from more than four million vehicles in police reported road crashes and more than one million injured road users in Australia and New Zealand between 1987 and 2009.

It showed that the level of crash protection in the 10 different categories of vehicles studied varied widely. The risk of injury or death was 8.2 times higher in the worst rated vehicle, the 1996 Daihatsu Mira, than in the best vehicle, the 2008-2009 Falcon FG.

The results also showed that vehicle safety had greatly improved between 1996 and 2009, with the average risk of death or serious injury to the driver of a 2009 car in a crash being about 30 percent less than for the driver of a 1996 car.

Mr Spalding said a safe choice could be made from almost every vehicle size category.

“The 19 used vehicles that earned the Safe Pick rating ranged in size from smaller hatchbacks to larger SUVs, challenging the myth that only larger cars can be safe,” he said.

Five small vehicles made the Safe Pick list: Honda Civic 2006-2009; Peugeot 307 2001-2009; Volvo S40/V40 1997-2004; Volkswagen Golf/Bora 1999-2004; and Volkswagen Golf/Jetta 2004-2009.

“One of the benefits of choosing a smaller but safe vehicle is the ability to save on fuel costs without compromising safety,” Mr Spalding said. “The Volkswagen Golf is a good example of a Safe Pick that is also economical to run.”

Mr Spalding warned motorists to be vigilant when buying used cars, and to carry out the necessary checks and inspections to avoid ending up with a lemon.

A combination of good design and construction along with comprehensive safety features helped a vehicle perform well in a crash and reduce occupant injuries. Other safety features, such as ABS and electronic stability control, helped the driver avoid a crash.

Mr Spalding said the latest Used Car Safety Ratings followed the worldwide launch of the United Nations Decade of Action for Road Safety, which aimed to reduce the predicted level of road fatalities by 50 percent across the globe by 2020.

“When you’re choosing a vehicle, don’t just think about your own safety,” Mr Spalding said. “Think about the safety of other drivers and road users such as cyclists and pedestrians.”

Mr Spalding said that while driving a safe car – preferably a Safe Pick – would help to reduce deaths and injuries in a crash, motorists’ driving practices also played a huge part.

“If motorists are driving dangerously they both increase the risk of a crash and the severity of injury – not only to themselves but to others on the road,” he said.

“To minimise death and injury on our roads motorists need to drive safe cars safely at all times.”

To view the Used Car Safety Ratings go to: www.racq.com.au/ucsr
Old 25-09-2011, 02:51 PM   #559
prydey
Rob

Quote:
http://www.racq.com.au/motoring/advo...safety_ratings

it was also discussed on this forum at the time so a search on here will find it also.

edit - beaten by 'that much'!
Old 25-09-2011, 04:49 PM   #560
Seduce XR6
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Dont get me wrong I want the FG to be safe after all I own one lol

However I always take these sort of tests with a grain of salt, as an example they have some dubious models sharing the 5 stars, some of which I am sure I would not like to be in during a nasty crash.

Not to mention they rate the VY Commodore the same as the VE & I know that simply is not true as the VE is miles ahead of the VY on many aspects including the use of high strength steel in its construction.

So is good news for the FG & 18 other makes/ models though I am not totally convinced of how much faith one can put in a test like this, I would not like to bet my life on it.

And btw I was aware of this test way back when it was released so is not news to me, as for a Holden loving troll if you mean me then your so far off the mark it is not funny, I am actually a Ford loving person who stands up for the truth & fairness for all (even motoring journo's) lol & that is why at times I may even defend the Commodore or motoring Journo's from untruths or biased opinions.
Old 25-09-2011, 04:55 PM   #561
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

In any respect, Falcon and Commodore are right up there with the best in regards crash protection.

Ford needs to look at better interiors, hard plastic might be OK for Asian countries but it wreaks
of cheapness in Aussie cars, we need nice soft touch plastics in the dashes to give that feel of true quality.
High quality interiors has to be high on the agenda for FG III in a couple of years time, something to
evolve the car towards where FoA wants to head with the post 2015/16 car...
Old 25-09-2011, 06:16 PM   #562
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Didn't they rave about BA's interior when it was released? Didn't stand the test of time it seems.
Old 25-09-2011, 06:27 PM   #563
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
Didn't they rave about BA's interior when it was released? Didn't stand the test of time it seems.
You do realise that BA was released nine years ago...

We complain about cars looking the same after four years, so what chance does a long life interior have?
Old 25-09-2011, 06:33 PM   #564
Windsor220
Now Fordless

Quote:
You do realise that BA was released nine years ago...
Yeah I know but my point was they thought it was good for its day and was a step forward for Aussie cars with the soft touch dash and all. Now it is seen as one of the most cheapest interiors of past Falcons.
Old 25-09-2011, 07:03 PM   #565
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Windsor220
Yeah I know but my point was they thought it was good for its day and was a step forward for Aussie cars with the soft touch dash and all. Now it is seen as one of the most cheapest interiors of past Falcons.
Time marches on, look at the benchmark set by Korean cars, the lift in standards there
mean an equal lift in standards for car makers like Ford, GM and Toyota to constantly improve...

Compare Falcon's dash with new Focus and see what the buying public now expects...
Old 25-09-2011, 07:19 PM   #566
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:

I would imagine they are that close you would be splitting hairs, since VE & FG, the Commodore and Falcon are very similarly stamped out and it would come down to design more than anything else.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Old 25-09-2011, 07:25 PM   #567
jpd80
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

It's not clear whther that increased shell strength/stiffness was to improve crash safety
or whether it was to stiffen the body, removing flex to improve handling attributes.

Sometimes I really wonder....
Old 25-09-2011, 07:47 PM   #568
Gobes32
FF.Com.Au Hardcore

Quote:
It's not clear whther that increased shell strength/stiffness was to improve crash safety
or whether it was to stiffen the body, removing flex to improve handling attributes.

Sometimes I really wonder....
There was a rumor that a new firewall panel was built midway through FG to accommodate Miami and the monstrous torque curve that came with it.
A G8E would be good if Ford marketed squarely at Calais V8 owners. They need to bring back the walking fingers like in the initial FG ads, but this time have the fingers crushing Calais' as they walk along, with some relaxing background Led Zeppelin music and Marcos Ambrose in stubbies and singlet driving it.
Old 25-09-2011, 11:15 PM   #569
vztrt
IWCMOGTVM Club Supporter

Valued Contributor: For members whose non technical contributions are worthy of recognition. - Issue reason: vztrt is one of the most consistent and respected contributors to AFF, I have found his contributions are most useful to discussion as well as answering members queries. 

Quote:
Ford needs to look at better interiors, hard plastic might be OK for Asian countries but it wreaks
of cheapness in Aussie cars, we need nice soft touch plastics in the dashes to give that feel of true quality.
High quality interiors has to be high on the agenda for FG III in a couple of years time, something to
evolve the car towards where FoA wants to head with the post 2015/16 car...
I agree that would be good. But then you get people whinging about not getting 5kw more for a series 2 update. Currently the drive line is more then adequate and the money should be redirected to other parts of the car and take that to the next level.
Old 25-09-2011, 11:23 PM   #570
AMGC63
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by vztrt
I agree that would be good. But then you get people whinging about not getting 5kw more for a series 2 update. Currently the drive line is more then adequate and the money should be redirected to other parts of the car and take that to the next level.
Yep, id expect updates to be just that, updates, not wholesale changes.

The kinds of things people are asking for would realistically be seen in a new model, not an update of a current model.
Closed Thread